Texas Hunting Forum

Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season

Posted By: AustinNovice

Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/15/15 09:35 PM

Hey everyone,

I grew up in Philadelphia, moved to Austin a year ago for grad school. I have plenty of experience flyfishing and backcountry camping, and I'm a good archer, but I've never been hunting in my life. I recently upgraded my archery gear (Mission Hype), got my Texas hunting license and deer tags, and am ready to get out there-- but taking an animal is something I want to do for the first time with an experienced hunter who can talk me through their process. I'm confident in my archery and shooting abilities, but I'm well aware that reading how to hunt and field dress doesn't prepare you to do it in real life any more than watching the NFL teaches you how to play football.

I'm looking for someone/a group of people who I could tag along with on a hunt somewhere in central TX, who wouldn't mind me asking them questions and watching how they work. I'd be happy to pay for food, lodging, or ammo, and I'll pull my weight around camp. Not looking to freeload at all.

The alternative is to go out with an outfitter for a weekend, which looks to be ~$1000 for a meat hunt, and I can't swing that at the moment.

Thanks, appreciate any tips or comments.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/15/15 10:46 PM

welcome ta texasHF.. i started deer hunten with a Kentucky .45... Archery is great way ta start out... Plenty of hogs, My first deer, i was in stand ruffly 15' high, & deer 20 yrds away.. Target shooting is one thing, get a 3D target.. when shooting from a stand aim point is higher... At shot the deer actualy ducked under the arrow at 20 yrds... i'm the local muyloco of the form... You'll learn the habbits of deer quicker threw archery than gun... i enjoy taking my camera while sitting on stand... Most land is privete, if no one willing ta help.. Their is some great WMA, public land... Best Wishes... watch out for the mosketoes... flag
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/15/15 11:23 PM

welcome to the great state of Texas texas

You might want to post something similar in the outfitters section.

Tell them you are willing to fill feeders, drive hunters back and forth to stands etc... in return for being able to watch, learn and observe.

Offer to help skin, quarter and field dress deer after they show you how to do it by observing what they do.

Good luck up
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/16/15 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Tell them you are willing to fill feeders, drive hunters back and forth to stands etc... in return for being able to watch, learn and observe.

Offer to help skin, quarter and field dress deer after they show you how to do it by observing what they do.

Good luck up

Seems like a great idea and good advice. I'd look into that.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/16/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Good luck up

Seems like a great idea and good advice. I'd look into that.

Probably your best bet is the suggestion made above. It is challengng to get a start if you dont know someone with land access.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/16/15 02:58 PM

In Texas, your best bet is to break out the cash. Otherwise, check into public hunting areas. You can find information on here about public hunting.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/43/1/Public_Hunting

Posted By: esnow74

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/16/15 04:10 PM

You can find meat hunts for does well under $1000 in the outfitter section. I have seen some at $150 per doe but most likely if you can swing $500, you should have no problem finding a doe and pig hunt. Having someone with you is good help but you will be stuck with public hunting which is rewarding but tough and requires lots of preseason scouting. Start now on getting info on hunting lake Georgetown for next year. They limit the number of hunters and have a good deer population plus it is close to you, just 30 minutes up the highway.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/17/15 02:05 PM

Definitely look in to public hunting lands. It is cheap for sure. I hunt public lands every year and I like it. Very challenging but that is what is fun about it. Sitting in front of a feeder taking target practice isnt very rewarding unless you just want meat so definitely give it a look.

You can also check out the many outfitters here. There are places you cant hunt for $200 a day for pigs and deer. I am going with hog heaven hunts for a 2.5 day trip and it is under $500 so you dont need to spend a grand to find a hunt
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/18/15 04:32 AM

I would spend the money with an outfitter and shoot a doe first. Then go from there.
Posted By: AustinNovice

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/19/15 03:48 AM

Thank you for all the responses, I'll check out a cheaper outfitter and I have a PM from a nice guy here in Austin willing to meet up and talk.

Cheers everyone.
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Novice hunter new to TX, looking for guidance/to tag along this season - 10/19/15 05:01 AM

The best way to learn how to gut, skin, and quarter something is to do it. Best of luck to you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum