Texas Hunting Forum

low fence Kudu

Posted By: colt45-90

low fence Kudu - 10/13/15 10:03 PM

hunter bagged a Kudu near the Llano river near Packsaddle mountain, after checking the nearest high fence ranch & checking with GW, he got the go ahead.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/13/15 10:07 PM

And the pictures are confused2

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/13/15 10:11 PM

article did not have pics LONE STAR OUTDOOR NEWS
Posted By: dkershen

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 04:36 AM

Best eating animal in Africa. Lucky dude.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 11:48 AM

Kudos on the kudu. Lucky hunter.
Although the hunter did some research by calling a GW and a nearby HF. I think most would have just shot the animal.
Posted By: BMD

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Best eating animal in Africa. Lucky dude.

I still prefer Eland, but what a lucky Hunter. I had friend shoot a Markhor free range in Rock Springs area. Sometimes you get lucky I figure.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 01:46 PM

worthless
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
hunter bagged a Kudu near the Llano river near Packsaddle mountain, after checking the nearest high fence ranch & checking with GW, he got the go ahead.

I'll be that hunter went....Whew!...Now I can put the shovel away! roflmao
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 02:27 PM

Isn't this not too far from where the dude shot a free range sable a few years ago?
Posted By: Matpk

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 02:43 PM

laugh laugh

Lucky man. will have toastiest meet for long. food
Posted By: therancher

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Although the hunter did some research by calling a GW and a nearby HF. I think most would have just shot the animal.

Yep. And it's just a matter of time before a hunter that doesn't do due diligence gets nailed for a federal felony. There are several animals (not kudu) that if shot without the proper permit can get you fed pen time.

I also believe the new Texas estray law would cover a tagged exotic animal like that. I know it covers my bison now. If they get on your property and you shoot them without contacting me and or the sheriff you are in violation of the estray law.

So, I'm thinking the kudu wasn't tagged or they couldn't find the ranch he originated from.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/14/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

Yep. And it's just a matter of time before a hunter that doesn't do due diligence gets nailed for a federal felony. There are several animals (not kudu) that if shot without the proper permit can get you fed pen time.

I also believe the new Texas estray law would cover a tagged exotic animal like that. I know it covers my bison now. If they get on your property and you shoot them without contacting me and or the sheriff you are in violation of the estray law.

So, I'm thinking the kudu wasn't tagged or they couldn't find the ranch he originated from.

Knowing cite tag laws/ animals is a big deal.

I don't think bison have every been considered exotic(I'm really not sure). I thought they always fell under exotic statues.

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 11:20 AM

I would claim self defense
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 12:42 PM

Where do the tags have to be on an animal? "In the Ear?" Where am I legally required to look before I pull the trigger on an animal under the feeder on my lease?
Posted By: shadams

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 12:59 PM

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 01:23 PM

WOW! That is awesome. I need a few of those to show up this weekend

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I don't think bison have every been considered exotic(I'm really not sure). I thought they always fell under exotic statues.

Bison were not protected under the same estray laws that cattle were up until feb of 2013.
http://www.texasbison.org/texas_bison_estray_law_signed_by_governor.htm

Also and more importantly, it is a violation of the state estray law to kill ANY exotic animal that shows up on your property that is tagged, branded, or otherwise marked that you can see at a distance, if you didn't contact the sheriff and wait for them to try and locate the owner.

The days of just shooting an animal that isn't yours (legally), ended in 2013.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/AG/htm/AG.142.htm

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Where do the tags have to be on an animal? "In the Ear?" Where am I legally required to look before I pull the trigger on an animal under the feeder on my lease?

The tags or other ID can be anywhere as long as they are visible. Everyone should read this before they shoot any exotic animal they didn't stock.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Bison were not protected under the same estray laws that cattle were up until feb of 2013.
http://www.texasbison.org/texas_bison_estray_law_signed_by_governor.htm

Also and more importantly, it is a violation of the state estray law to kill ANY exotic animal that shows up on your property that is tagged, branded, or otherwise marked that you can see at a distance, if you didn't contact the sheriff and wait for them to try and locate the owner.

The days of just shooting an animal that isn't yours (legally), ended in 2013.

they still have to have a tag.. a lot of the hf around me have nothing to identify their animals... some did the tattoo in the ear but you would have to be right up on the animal to see it..

really though I think the whole law is about the dumbest law they thought up in a good while
Posted By: Navasot

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 02:29 PM

couldn't see myself shooting a bison though... wouldn't even cross my mind as a thing to shoot
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 02:53 PM

If I read the law correctly, I can charge the animal owner to get his animal back from my property plus any damage that the animal may have caused. in the case of say "bison", I'm sure that for them to be on my property, my fence would have to be torn down somewhere, so the cost of the fence plus other expenses, such a feed, etc could be charged to the owner or the animal. Am I correct on this?

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/15/15 03:00 PM

If I read the law correctly, I can charge the animal owner to get his animal back from my property plus any damage that the animal may have caused. in the case of say "bison", I'm sure that for them to be on my property, my fence would have to be torn down somewhere, so the cost of the fence plus other expenses, such a feed, etc could be charged to the owner or the animal. Am I correct on this?

I wonder if that is a county issue. I have heard that some places it is your job to fence out live stock (free range areas). But that may also be incorrect.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/16/15 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
really though I think the whole law is about the dumbest law they thought up in a good while

I agree. This is not included anywhere in the Outdoor Annual or in Hunters Ed Literature. If the Deer Breeders get their way, we'll have to include tagged deer as well. whistle Sounds like a can of worms to me.

Pablo
Posted By: txshntr

Re: low fence Kudu - 10/16/15 04:30 AM

The animal has to be
Quote:
only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

Better be a pretty big, bright tag. We have exotics on our place that did not originate on our place. No tags, fair game.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum