Texas Hunting Forum

One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please

Posted By: Mr. T.

One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:24 AM

This is the best photo I could get of the deer. We are in AR county. What do you think?
Posted By: Seadog

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:42 AM

He's close but I think he is!!!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:53 AM

Not sure of AR rules... Here its the 13" rule & that deer is a plus... We keep our deer well educated.. As pappy once said: we use the Big Bang Theory ... flag
Posted By: bull279

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:54 AM

If those drums are standard size. They are 22.5" wide. Comparing to that deer, that buck is REAL close.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:54 AM

He's probably 14" wide

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:56 AM

I'd let him grow another year or two.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 01:42 AM

I probably say "yes" he'll measure. But I think I'd let him walk. Depends on how long I had to sit in the stand and watch him!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 01:51 AM

I've got a similar one on the wall from Mills County that goes 14 1/4" inside but my deer is a shade wider. I bet he's legal, but I don't think I'd fin: out the hard way.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 01:51 AM

I think he makes it. If that is the one you want, then shoot it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 01:53 AM

I would let it walk and not take the chance. Not gonna hurt to let it get bigger.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:11 AM

Do you want to take our word for it or let a game warden measure it?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:13 AM

He's legal, barely but legal, 13.5-14.0"
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:15 AM

That is way to close to call for me. I would not risk it.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:16 AM

Looks like he'd sneak by, but Sneaky has a good point.
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Do you want to take our word for it or let a game warden measure it?
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:20 AM

I think I would let him walk to close
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:26 AM

confused2
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 03:05 AM

He'll make it
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 10:43 AM

A perfect example of why I never pull the trigger until I see space between the outside edges of the ears and inside edges of the antlers. And how much space determines how quickly I will pull the trigger.

Far too close for me to shoot.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 11:36 AM

That close deserves a pass,JMO
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: dogdown23
He's probably 14" wide
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

^^^^
This

I'd bet your tag he's legal!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:05 PM

I think he barely makes it, but close enough I wouldn't take the chance. I would let him go another year and hope no one else was willing to take a chance on him. It's a shame because he's a beautiful buck.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:11 PM

Yes, he is. And here is the situation. I have picked him out for my wife to kill. She is 70 and I do not know how many more years we have that we will be able to walk the fields and climb into the tree stands. I already cannot lift a buck into the back of a pickup. I have to use a FEL to get them up there. So......I really hate to tell her to pass on this buck saying, " lets get him next year." But also, I don't want her and she would not want to kill one that is not legal.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:15 PM

What county?

South, probably, north east, probably not

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 02:28 PM

Eastland, near Carbon, TX
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 03:01 PM

If you look at the TPWD hunting manual, he fits the description of a legal buck.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
If you look at the TPWD hunting manual, he fits the description of a legal buck.

Imagine a plumb line hung down the inside of each antler, it clears the ears which are definitely in the "alert" position, as described in the Outdoor Annual. It's close, but any GW writing your 70 year old wife up for that one is a DB. Shoot it, if it causes a problem we'll pass the hat and bail you out. cheers

edited to add: I'd pass, personally, but I'm not 70 years old either!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 04:02 PM

That area most bucks that age are around 170lbs with ears in alert a bit over 13 inches. Like the others that say he just makes it I tend to agree. Taker the chance or not I up to you.

We do not hunt that far apart in Eastland County.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Yes, he is. And here is the situation. I have picked him out for my wife to kill. She is 70 and I do not know how many more years we have that we will be able to walk the fields and climb into the tree stands. I already cannot lift a buck into the back of a pickup. I have to use a FEL to get them up there. So......I really hate to tell her to pass on this buck saying, " lets get him next year." But also, I don't want her and she would not want to kill one that is not legal.

That's a tough one for sure, but under those circumstances I would probably be more willing to roll the dice. I do think he's legal, but it's an easy call for the rest of us because we have zero risk in the situation. If your wife doesn't get this one, I hope she gets another good one. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 04:53 PM

Keep us posted, hope to see a pic
With your wife holding his antlers in the near future.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 05:13 PM

If she gets him, I will post photos of her happy smile and a photo of a tape measurement of his horns. Thank you for all of the help with everyone's opinions.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/11/15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 10:57 AM

Legal. Ears are in alert position and the inside circumference is greater than that of the tips of the ears. In fact, the deer is a close match for the illustration here...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/white-tailed-deer
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 11:19 AM

That's a legal deer! I let one walk that was similar before, maybe even was a lil heavier antlered and never seen it again, none of us!!! Had it al over again I would Shoot!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 01:03 PM

rifle

Tell Mrs. T we want to see plenty of pics.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I agree.... csi

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 02:16 PM

If she gets him, I will post photos of her happy smile and a photo of a tape measurement of his horns. Thank you for all of the help with everyone's opinions.
scratch , post didn't go threw.. Best wishes... Taking from the Tittle of thread theirs a difference of opinions on if deer is legal or not... Not sure what the rules for culling on your lease are... The money for hunting licence, & lease came out of your pocket... Tis like pappy says about gas prices: Not every one pays the same ... Best wishes this season... flag
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Legal. Ears are in alert position and the inside circumference is greater than that of the tips of the ears. In fact, the deer is a close match for the illustration here...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/white-tailed-deer

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I

i'm just a muyloco lowfer who's post ain't worth 2cents ... With a generous 2month any legal meens, following a 1month archery season... Deer here don't stand around for mug-shots ... As pappy once said: using the BBT, Big Bang Theory... When de chooten begins... The survivers Mature faster ... flag
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
rifle

Tell Mrs. T we want to see plenty of pics.

This
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/12/15 11:28 PM

Too close , another year might make big difference !
Posted By: Gacman

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 02:57 AM

I'd say he's barely legal which is the same way I like my women.
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 03:06 AM

Legal
Posted By: cameron00

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 12:11 PM

Without knowing the body sizes of bucks in your area, it's hard to tell, but assuming the average, I'd bet he makes it with an inch to spare. I shot a tiny bodied buck in the hill country that didn't look quite as wide as that guy and his inside was 12.5. My neighbor shot a buck last year that was huge bodied and we all questioned if it made 13 when we saw the picture and it was actually 15.5. I know because he didn't find the deer and I ultimately recovered it a week later and was shocked at how much bigger it was than it looked in his game cam pic.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
body sizes of bucks

cheers Deer in warmer states tend to be smaller in body size... They don't need the extra weight ta survive harsh winters... The smaller, lighter bone structure is more suttable for the warmer climits... A 140 rack on a 150+# deer looks small were a 120 rack on a. 90# deer looks big... Smaller bone structure usualy thinner diameter main beams & such...
flag
Posted By: Navasot

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 02:49 PM

Id say so
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 04:26 PM

I've got a couple that are like that and they get a pass.
Only one way to find out!
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 05:24 PM

One of two things can happen, nice buck son! or camp meat. Leave it at that.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 05:41 PM

I don't think ANY game warden would write a ticket up for that. a nice deer, it certainly isn't a 11-12" deer. you might get a warning and told to be more careful if it doesn't measure. I would be livid to hear a game warden would write a ticket on that type of deer measuring 12 3/4".

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 05:56 PM

Kill one that wide at 12 3/4" and call the GW. Keep us update on what happens next.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/13/15 06:04 PM

When in doubt, favor the ranch. I think he'll make it, but just too close to call so I'd let him walk.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 12:24 AM

This is what I say, if hes that close why even chance it let him go another year.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:28 AM

x2
Posted By: 68A

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:46 AM

I think he makes it, but it's close. It'd be a stressful few minutes after the trigger is pulled and waiting for him to expire. In other words, I wouldn't do it, based on that picture.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:15 PM

Keep track of all those who encourage you to take that buck so you can go back and get in contact with them to help you pay the fine if you get ticketed.
I guess the more people you get the easier it will be on the bank account. roflmao
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:20 PM

That deer is closer to 15" than 13", IMHO.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Keep track of all those who encourage you to take that buck so you can go back and get in contact with them to help you pay the fine if you get ticketed.
I guess the more people you get the easier it will be on the bank account. roflmao

The only thing talking when that happens will be the crickets...

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:30 PM

ill give you $5!

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 02:31 PM

Bet a measuring tape is a new common item seen in most AR county hunting packs

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

At the point you can use it, it does you no good to use it. You can't change the spread with it. grin
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 03:16 PM

Quote:
I guess the more people you get the easier it will be on the bank account.

Won't be a problem given that it is a legal deer and the assessment made via TPWD standards for field assessment using the above image. You have a facing deer with the ears in the forward alert position and the tips of the ears are inside of the inside spread of the antlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS0rFdrXs0A

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

So you say its defenatly not legal ... if that deer stepped out here, & i had my licence i'd invite ya over for some grillen & chillen & prove ta ya its 13+ flag

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

At the point you can use it, it does you no good to use it. You can't change the spread with it. grin

true true... but a little peace of mind is a good thing lol.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 07:59 PM

still though you just gona have to see him in person and make a decision.... Id already have my mind made up to shoot him if I saw him though.... that's just me. Good luck with the decision
Posted By: titan2232

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/14/15 08:31 PM

Just fold his ears back when you hold him. He'll look legal

peep
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/15/15 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
He's probably 14" wide
I'd let him grow another year or two.
He barely makes it and is 3.5 years old, so I'd let him pass. up

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/15/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Just fold his ears back when you hold him. He'll look legal

peep

cheers nice deer....
2cents Did i ever tell ya's bout the time i chot a deer that was questionable ? Bleached the turf between its ped's & it was legaly blonde .... flag
Posted By: titan2232

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/15/15 12:50 PM

roflmao You're nuts colt

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/15/15 03:02 PM

deer looks at least 4yrs old to me
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/15/15 05:27 PM

I'll throw in $20 towards a fine if one is given for Mrs. T's buck.

up
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/17/15 06:58 PM

He is wider than 13" and by TPW standards he definitely meets their requirements for field judging.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/19/15 09:06 PM

I say too close to call. I would let him walk

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/20/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: DustyWyoming
He is wider than 13" and by TPW standards he definitely meets their requirements for field judging.

Keep them coming and we'll have enough encouragers to set up a THF AR relief fund! roflmao
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 10/26/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Agree though why chance it. Let it go. Or, if you're a gambler... smoke a cig, listen to a song, read a few paragraphs, etc... if still there when done, shoot.

-Mickey

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/24/15 11:52 PM

Well, she did not get a chance at that buck, but she did shoot a nice 10pt this morning. It was windy, but she made a 200 yard shot with her 30/06 dropping the buck where it stood. The processor said that it was the largest buck that he has had brought in so far this season. I could not be happier for her.....except she point out all the way home that hers was bigger than the one I got opening weekend.........you got to love them.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/24/15 11:57 PM

Great buck Congrats
Posted By: Western

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/25/15 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Great buck Congrats
Posted By: rickym

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/25/15 12:29 AM

up

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/25/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Great buck Congrats

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/27/15 06:45 PM

up

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 11/27/15 07:20 PM

Well, she did not get a chance at that buck, but she did shoot a nice 10pt this morning. It was windy, but she made a 200 yard shot with her 30/06 dropping the buck where it stood. The processor said that it was the largest buck that he has had brought in so far this season. I could not be happier for her.....except she point out all the way home that hers was bigger than the one I got opening weekend.........you got to love them.

cheers Congrates ta Mrs. T flag
Posted By: postoak

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 12/01/15 04:09 AM

I hope you get him on film next year so we can see what he looks like.

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 12/01/15 03:08 PM

I hope I get him on film too. That means he made it through the season.
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: One guy on the lease says legal AR deer, one guy says no --help please - 12/01/15 05:52 PM

He's a legal kill.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum