Texas Hunting Forum

I hope this won't start an argument...

Posted By: jae011

I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 01:59 AM

Personally I'm not a HF advocate but I see the arguments for HF and I think there is definitely strong points for each side. That being said I know a guy who bought a piece of land and put a HF around it. They drove the land and pretty much took out every deer on it. Then brought in breeder deer from Kansas. This question has nothing to do with HF or LF beliefs but dosent it seem a little artificial with how he set up his ranch?
Posted By: don k

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:07 AM

His place so he can do what he pleases with it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:12 AM

Yes it does seem a little artificial in a sense, but like said above, his land, he can do what he wants.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jae011
Personally I'm not a HF advocate but I see the arguments for HF and I think there is definitely strong points for each side. That being said I know a guy who bought a piece of land and put a HF around it. They drove the land and pretty much took out every deer on it. Then brought in breeder deer from Kansas. This question has nothing to do with HF or LF beliefs but dosent it seem a little artificial with how he set up his ranch?

Illegal to bring deer in from out of state, other than that his land blah blah blah.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:46 AM

Telling people how to hunt is like telling people what car to drive or who they should marry. There's just no point to it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Telling people how to hunt is like telling people what car to drive or who they should marry. There's just no point to it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought beauty was in the eye of the "beer holder"!!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:55 AM

Just about ever whitetIl populations in the US out side of the King is artificial. That includes big horn sheep, and ELK in NM, AZ, TX, Okla, Kentucky etc. Welcome to being the ultimate predator. Is the king ranch or Waggoner artificial. Majority of those deer will never leave the ranch nor could they really.

It's a whitetail deer. We have to have seasons and bag limits because we are so effective at killing them.

Your property, your blood, sweat and tears. Hope everyone that gets to own land one day gets to make it their own paradise
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 03:24 AM

Who cares!? If it makes him happy good for him.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 03:54 AM

Posted By: fouzman

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 03:56 AM

trophy room teasers yet to be hung. c y'all monday.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 11:06 AM

To each their own. cheers
Posted By: tlk

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 11:38 AM

about 15 years ago I bought a ranch and my wife and I lived there. I HF it and then took as many deer off of it as I could. I then brought in 3 bred does and three young bucks and started the herd over. Never had plans to commercially hunt it at all. I just wanted to grow some really big deer - enjoyed the challenge of trying to grow some big ones. Also allowed for exotics - black buck, scimitar, zebra, elk, etc. I sold the place and now am totally LF hunter. Both ways are fun, legal, and interesting - so as others have said, to each his own.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 01:23 PM

How many acres does he have and is he going to hunt the deer he brings in or raise them to sell to other ranches? Or like me, just wanting to have some animals on his place to see every day. I'm in the process of clearing a fence line around 60 of my 68 acres so I can bring in a few different types of exotics to see and photograph. I plan on selling the offspring and as the younger ones mature, selling off the trophy ones. I'll probably take a cow or doe for meat from time to time, but I don't consider that hunting just like raising your own beef isn't hunting when you decide to butcher one yourself.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:25 PM

Short answer is yes. That's the mess that has the deep pocket native deer guys trying to use this CWD situation as a means of trying to stick it to breeders.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 02:49 PM

Shots fired
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Shots fired

Yup.

His land, his call.

I have a 1 1/2 acre body of water. If I cultivated the environment well enough that one day I caught a bass that was larger than the current state record, would it qualify as a new state record? I don't care, I enjoyed catching the fish and their offspring.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 05:46 PM

Jokes aside, there are already reservoirs in Texas that are basically growing giant bass in a perfect environment- except that there are other anglers pressuring and sometimes eating the fish. From that perspective, all a high fence really does is eliminate the competition of predators and other hunters.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

Nailed It...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 10:52 PM

This question has nothing to do with HF or LF beliefs but dosent it seem a little artificial with how he set up his ranch?

What does it matter to you? Do you have a lawn, garden, house? All artificial. You have pets? Artificial.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/10/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
To each their own. cheers

^^^^
This

I will say that it's not for me, as far as importing deer. I'm not a "fan" of HF and yet if I owned 2,000 acres and I wanted to manage the property/wildlife I'd HF it. My wife and I were talking today and my real dream has always been to own 200 acres that I could work and manage but I told her that all it'd take is to have one or two bad neighbors and the hunting would be terrible and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/11/15 03:08 AM

Unless that involves placing a blind near the fence line because then people will turn them over.

I had one do that and turned the blind over. He put it up again and I turned it over again. He then moved it.

A man has to do what a man has to do. Calling GWs LEOs or talking to the people does squat. Do what you have to do and blame it on the wind.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5938229/1/Blinds_on_adjoining_fence_line

LOL
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/11/15 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Unless that involves placing a blind near the fence line because then people will turn them over.

I had one do that and turned the blind over. He put it up again and I turned it over again. He then moved it.

A man has to do what a man has to do. Calling GWs LEOs or talking to the people does squat. Do what you have to do and blame it on the wind.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5938229/1/Blinds_on_adjoining_fence_line

LOL

heh up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I hope this won't start an argument... - 10/11/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

LOL

heh up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum