Texas Hunting Forum

Question about lease activity around hunting season?

Posted By: StephensCnty308

Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 02:17 AM

A fellow work employee today asked me a question that got me wondering.
Bow season is here and he doesn't do bow season ( gun only ) when should he stop going
To his property to walk around and checking on stuff as activity isn't the best thing for a property just before hunting season?
I bow hunt so I can't answer that.

Do y'all or when do you start staying away from your property before general hunting season?
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 02:18 AM

We never stay away for long and since we corn the roads on every trip the deer don't mind our presence.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 02:22 AM

I actually start increasing my activity on my place(I live on it) in August to going out before daylight to corn roads/blinds and in the afternoons when I would normally head to blinds to hunt. That activity is early enough to not change the deer patterns and actually makes my hunting better. I see more deer early in the season than I did 3 yrs ago. I do not ever walk much on my property since I want deer that stay here to feel secure. I only drive a Ranger or tractor on the roads also.

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I actually start increasing my activity on my place(I live on it) in August to going out before daylight to corn roads/blinds and in the afternoons when I would normally head to blinds to hunt. That activity is early enough to not change the deer patterns and actually makes my hunting better. I see more deer early in the season than I did 3 yrs ago. I do not ever walk much on my property since I want deer that stay here to feel secure. I only drive a Ranger or tractor on the roads also.

Makes sense. That was the whole thing that bothered him meaning being out there and activity that made deer insecure. Being a bow hunter that may put in a little rifle action this year my time is about to start
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 04:03 AM

We are at our place 2 times a week at least year round
We check cameras and feeders every 10 days or so during the season

I do stop shooting at the gun range during season though
Posted By: Tres

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 04:32 AM

Don't change anything, if you are around all year they will be accustomed to it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Tres
Don't change anything, if you are around all year they will be accustomed to it.

up
Posted By: Western

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Tres

up
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 12:19 PM

when I hear about people worried about human activity running deer off, I remember sitting in the drive thru at Starbucks in Ruidoso last fall and having deer eating grass at the curb about 10 feet from my window

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45
when I hear about people worried about human activity running deer off, I remember sitting in the drive thru at Starbucks in Ruidoso last fall and having deer eating grass at the curb about 10 feet from my window

Now that's funny haha.
Both him and I left our previous lease that we hunted on and went a different direction.
I purchased my own property and he is hunting in eastland county with his boss.
I don't know why he is so scared of scaring the deer off maybe there is more to it.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 12:54 PM

Ask yourself this question. How often do you see doe or maybe a spike feeding on the side of the road? Now compare that to how often you see a trophy buck doing the same.

So which would be more likely to change their behavior as a result of increased pressure by humans?

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 12:56 PM

A change in your activity on a place can be the worst thing. Driving around before daylight or after dark can be very bad if you do not do it year round. If you do not drive at those times during the year then all of a sudden one morning start, then expect it to effect the deer for a while. Same with getting into and out of deer blind all of sudden when you have not done it year round.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 02:16 PM

In know the deer at our place pay absolutely no attention to four wheelers, chainsaws etc. There are many times we see deer while riding around on one of the four wheelers and they just watch us go by without a single flinch. We never quiet down for season, just because I don't want them to notice a change.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 02:43 PM

Yep, 99% of Texas isn't wilderness and critters grow accustomed to human activity. We don't vary our routine at all.
Posted By: janie

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 03:10 PM

We're a noisy bunch at our place and they sure don't seem to mind. I was running a weed whacker one afternoon, when 2 deer walked up to me. LOL. I finally yelled "boo"! and they took off.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/01/15 03:26 PM

Deer stand, feeder's mineral blocks, food plot is just hop-skip, & jump away from house... scratch Think the deer have me patterned out pretty good bye now... Edit: seen some fresh deer tracks when went pulled SD cards... flag
Posted By: TxHunter18

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/02/15 05:58 AM

Seems like a lot of yall hunt places where the population is up enough where you do not have to worry about activity. I have hunted both sides of the spectrum and I am telling you there are places where being around your feeder too much will completely ruin your hunting.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/02/15 04:08 PM

Just stay out of known bedding areas. I drive and feed roads starting in August and generally after doing that once or twice I can look in the rearview mirrors and see deer coming to the road to feed.

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/02/15 04:29 PM

Got a cam by stand, facing feeder, mineral licks food plot been at creek were have old corn spinner... Got another cam facing back at edge of tree line were deer & hogs travel between feeders, right under a leaning ladder stand.. Its bedding area, videoed does moving fawns, & plenty cam pic's... Check cams daily.. It is 4 deer county.. Still see deer out of stand every year, just gotta be thar at right time... 2cents i got cheap posts... flag
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/03/15 01:53 AM

I got permission one year to hunt a Marina one time. I had noticed for several years leading up to the season I got to hunt where the deer crossed the rd to go through their property from using the marina to launch on duck hunts. I strictly bow hunted for obvious reasons. I started opening day of season and hunted probably 3/4 days a week average. Very nice bucks frequenting this property. I noticed by December the deer began to swing wide of the group of trees I was hunting in. I only got busted a handful of times out of the season. Now why would deer that see more freakin human traffic than the border brush in Rio Grande country start to change there well established cattle trail patterns over little ole me. These deer see families walking all year around up and down the rd. Trucks hauling boat trailers etc.. The slight change from human scent on the road to in the brush and just inside this one group of trees made them take notice? Human activity in the wee hours of the morning walking to the stand? There were others hunting surrounding properties in the area so the deer do know hunters.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/03/15 04:05 AM

My opinion, each deer is different. You will always be able to second guess yourself because you will likely never know if you pushed one (or more) out. So, tread as lightly as possible and keep the wind in your favor.

Personally, I try to make 2 trips in October to corn and make preparations for opening morning.

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/03/15 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian C.
I got permission one year to hunt a Marina one time. I had noticed for several years leading up to the season I got to hunt where the deer crossed the rd to go through their property from using the marina to launch on duck hunts. I strictly bow hunted for obvious reasons. I started opening day of season and hunted probably 3/4 days a week average. Very nice bucks frequenting this property. I noticed by December the deer began to swing wide of the group of trees I was hunting in. I only got busted a handful of times out of the season. Now why would deer that see more freakin human traffic than the border brush in Rio Grande country start to change there well established cattle trail patterns over little ole me. These deer see families walking all year around up and down the rd. Trucks hauling boat trailers etc.. The slight change from human scent on the road to in the brush and just inside this one group of trees made them take notice? Human activity in the wee hours of the morning walking to the stand? There were others hunting surrounding properties in the area so the deer do know hunters.

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/03/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: StephensCnty308
A fellow work employee today asked me a question that got me wondering.
Bow season is here and he doesn't do bow season ( gun only ) when should he stop going
To his property to walk around and checking on stuff as activity isn't the best thing for a property just before hunting season?
I bow hunt so I can't answer that.

Do y'all or when do you start staying away from your property before general hunting rofl season?

2cents First lease got on... One of the other members of lease was walking in woods
with his son, looking for place ta put up ladder stand... Seen a string hanging down from good sized tree... Whats that for... Thats were caveman hunts... rofl guess ya could say that was my first tree stand... Every one else hunted out of the typical box stand... Later did build a light weight stand in sections... Found good size tree, with good sign & haulded it threw woods & had small tree stand... But basicly, hunted out of tree, then chain on stands, & then climber stands... rofl reason why, few of my 30-30 rounds started ta turn green from out in weather.. Twice on hog hunts, hammer down but no bang... Later years did build box stands.. Point being, most gun hunters have nice cosy box stands, feeders, mineral blocks, food plots, rofl mine tis hop-skip-jump from house & some times when wake up from my nap, rofl see deer.... Yet on opening morning Archery would jump in truck or me susuki& drive ta OSBWMA & ease out in woods climb a tree, & see more deer than would sitting in deer stand, were no baiting is the rule... Now some people thing i'm muyloco crazy, i have been tested, been laughed at made fun of... But as pappy once said: i gotta be me, no one else wants the job ... Some area's have more deer, tis 4 county here.. Some have more brows & vegitation.. Were in Natures house, & the wildlifes home ... Now go out & enjoy the day... Best wishes... flag
Posted By: Mas Cabeza

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/05/15 12:57 AM

I must say, all the .... and ramble above, I am scratching my head. That made absolutely zero sense!!
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/06/15 04:18 AM

What in the hell are you talking about?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Question about lease activity around hunting season? - 10/06/15 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Ask yourself this question. How often do you see doe or maybe a spike feeding on the side of the road? Now compare that to how often you see a trophy buck doing the same.

So which would be more likely to change their behavior as a result of increased pressure by humans?

I see mature bucks feeding on the side of the road at night all the time....saw one this morning in Bandera county
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum