Texas Hunting Forum

Deterring Red Wasps?

Posted By: ZK-315

Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:42 PM

I thought I read on here a while back about painting the ceiling of a box blind to help deter red wasps but I cant seem to find it. Is there a particular color that works best or...any other good deterrents out there? I understand making a blind air tight is best, but its a bit late this year.

I'm going back out this weekend to hopefully slay the rest of them. Last weekend I used 3 bug bombs and a whole can of spray and still haven't gotten them all. I can get some pics this weekend for you guys but the whole front 8' section inside and side 4' section in my blind was nothing but red wasp nests. Other than burning the whole thing to the ground and starting fresh, what can I do to keep them out? Next year i'll work on getting it as air tight as possible.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:45 PM

saw a post recently that said light blue or white to mimic the sky. several posted about how well it works
Posted By: Western

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
saw a post recently that said light blue or white to mimic the sky. several posted about how well it works

Read that too, iirc it was used on exterior eaves, but worth a shot in an enclosed blind.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:53 PM

I read it too but couldn't find it, or remember what color worked best. Once i get them all gone, i'll give it a shot. I seriously about flush when i opened that door and saw how many were in there. lol
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:55 PM

ProZap no pest strips. Will not keep them out but will kill them all. Leave them in the blinds year round, just put a fresh one in every 3-4 months.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:57 PM

Light blue is what I read, or I guess "sky color".

I have also use the raid with residual in my birdhouses, they wont build on it for over a year.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 04:59 PM

man I opened mine up over the weekend and it was COVERED in black widows. egg sacks everywhere.. counted 11 adults plus two scorpions. I used a whole can of wasp/hornet spray and I'll bomb it again this weekend. Cant stand those things!

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:00 PM

You can also spray the corners and edges with Demon WP.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Have always heard that...

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:03 PM

I would just PM East on here...he has a Red Wasp Removal Service that is free. He ain't skeered of them things at all. loser8

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Ditto, I always forget the darn name until some one mentions it bang , supposed to be the best I have read.

I would take wasp all day over a black widow....

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:06 PM

I would just PM East on here...he has a Red Wasp Removal Service that is free. He ain't skeered of them things at all. loser8

Ole Wingnut will get them roflmao

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Ditto, I always forget the darn name until some one mentions it bang , supposed to be the best I have read.

I would take wasp all day over a black widow....

Combine that with a ProZap strip up I sprayed my haybale blind inside last year with Demon WP never had any issues with spiders or ants inside it.
Posted By: East

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:15 PM

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:18 PM

This Stuff?
So it works on wasps as well?

He cant be near as scared of the red's as i am. roflmao
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:26 PM

Actually, in the south, they paint front porch ceilings light blue to ward off bad spirits. I don't think there's a color that is a wasp deterrent. Bombs away is about the only thing you can do. I have the same problem with a couple of our stands.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
This Stuff?

Yes on the Demon WP. Get one of these to leave in also. I have used them for over 20 yrs and they work on wasps, bees and yellowjackets.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:29 PM

This Stuff?

Goldy isnt far behind yall...He walks around with TWO bottles of Wasp Spray with a 60' range and has another case stored all around him...you open a stand up and he will get as still as a Livered Bird dog on point....and just move his eyes only rofl roflmao
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:29 PM

Down in Louisiana and maybe South Carolina, the color was called "Haunt Blue" or "haint blue". It was a superstition that the color repelled evil spirits and it did a good job with the wasps too wink. Many of the homes you see in the older neighborhoods are restoring the eaves and porches with this color. It is, actually, not an 'actual color' though. "Pool Blue" or a "Sky Blue" is about as close as it gets.

Now, understand the entire theory of the paint repelling the wasps was because the old paints used Lye, which is a natural bug repellent. These days, lye is not commonly used, but many folks still swear by the fact the "blue" fools them into thinking they are not in cover... heh. Me, I use it and think it still works :P

It is also good to paint under the hand rails etc.. on porches etc.. had a wasp nest move it's butt down to under the outside edge of our rails and you did not know it till you grabbed the rail :P

Yes, it does deter many wasps, red and yellow jackets. Mud daubers do not mind it though.

Here is a link to the color I use:

POOL BLUE SHERWIN WILLIAMS

Russ

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:34 PM

This Stuff?

Goldy isnt far behind yall...He walks around with TWO bottles of Wasp Spray with a 60' range and has another case stored all around him...you open a stand up and he will get as still as a Livered Bird dog on point....and just move his eyes only rofl roflmao

roflmaoOnly reason i didn't have two cans of the actual spray was cuz it wouldn't fit in my other back pocket with my wallet. A bug bomb in each hand and a can of spray in my empty back pocket. Set the bug bombs off, grabbed the spray and ran/screamed like a little girl spraying all around me

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:37 PM

Yes on the Demon WP. Get one of these to leave in also. I have used them for over 20 yrs and they work on wasps, bees and yellowjackets.

Thanks. Ill try it out
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:57 PM

scratch would puddimg mothballs in blind at end of season work ? flag

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 05:59 PM

This Stuff?

Great idea STX, but can we kill big bucks under it? peep
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 06:01 PM

I would try it if I could :P

We have one stand, out of 8, that once a year gets invaded by tens of thousands of daddy-long-legs. No idea why only that one, but when you least expect it, you open the door and BAM!.

I am not afraid of spiders, but no way do I want that many crawling all over me, so I keep bug bombs and every spring.. BAM! I toss one in there the day before and close the door.. lol

Russ

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch would puddimg mothballs in blind at end of season work ? flag

Come to think of it, I've got a box of moth balls in my storage building at the house to keep mice away...but i don't have any issues with wasps inside. you may be on to something here. up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 06:15 PM

man I opened mine up over the weekend and it was COVERED in black widows. egg sacks everywhere.. counted 11 adults plus two scorpions. I used a whole can of wasp/hornet spray and I'll bomb it again this weekend. Cant stand those things!

Nope. I would burn it and build another one.
Posted By: Diverdown

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 07:02 PM

Hang a brown paper lunch sack from the ceiling so it looks liks a hornets nest and they will not come anywhere near it.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 07:35 PM

Lawd ZK, sure making a mountain out of a Mole hill...Just hang a sign that says "No Wasp Allowed" geez grin

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 07:37 PM

I'll let you hang it on the inside of the blind..hows that sound?

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 07:38 PM

I'll do it!! up Then I can check it opening morning for ya!! Save you from having to get up early and erthang...

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 07:55 PM

lol I've only had 2 does and a yearling this year on cam. The rest are a ton of pigs. Planning to fix that prollem this weekend too up

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:00 PM

That's OK, by opening day that "tirdy" pointer from the great white North, will show up and, I just remembered!nidea you will be busy anyway fixing up your dads new Colorado place so,, this is working out great up

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:04 PM

roflmao nothing is going to keep me out of a deer stand on opening morning...not even some red wasps. I haven't missed opening morning in 25 years, and I don't plan to this year, even if dad does pick out a slick little spot in Colorado

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:09 PM

eeks333 We will see after you get a big azz bull down in a couple weeks grin
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:10 PM

Buy some talstar pro on Amazon and start spraying your stands in the spring and summer and again during dove season if you like - has a 3-6 month residual and will kill everything that comes into contact with it. I think a gallon is like 35 bucks and will make quite a few gallons of mixture. No bugs in my stands anymore...

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
Down in Louisiana and maybe South Carolina, the color was called "Haunt Blue" or "haint blue". It was a superstition that the color repelled evil spirits and it did a good job with the wasps too wink. Many of the homes you see in the older neighborhoods are restoring the eaves and porches with this color. It is, actually, not an 'actual color' though. "Pool Blue" or a "Sky Blue" is about as close as it gets.

Now, understand the entire theory of the paint repelling the wasps was because the old paints used Lye, which is a natural bug repellent. These days, lye is not commonly used, but many folks still swear by the fact the "blue" fools them into thinking they are not in cover... heh. Me, I use it and think it still works :P

It is also good to paint under the hand rails etc.. on porches etc.. had a wasp nest move it's butt down to under the outside edge of our rails and you did not know it till you grabbed the rail :P

Yes, it does deter many wasps, red and yellow jackets. Mud daubers do not mind it though.

Here is a link to the color I use:

POOL BLUE SHERWIN WILLIAMS

Russ
Haint. In Oak cliff, that refers to a girl that's not on penicillin, or in other words, a "debutante".
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/29/15 08:47 PM

I thought I read on here a while back about painting the ceiling of a box blind to help deter red wasps but I cant seem to find it. Is there a particular color that works best or...any other good deterrents out there? I understand making a blind air tight is best, but its a bit late this year.

I'm going back out this weekend to hopefully slay the rest of them. Last weekend I used 3 bug bombs and a whole can of spray and still haven't gotten them all. I can get some pics this weekend for you guys but the whole front 8' section inside and side 4' section in my blind was nothing but red wasp nests. Other than burning the whole thing to the ground and starting fresh, what can I do to keep them out? Next year i'll work on getting it as air tight as possible.

I have a farm in the country and built a house there, we painted the under portion of the porch ceiling light blue and there has never been a wasp or yellow jacket build a nest there in over 6 years.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 12:08 AM

Well there you go. Learn something new every day.
Posted By: deberg

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 02:37 AM

Spray with Tempo. It will last a whole year if it does not get wet.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 03:16 AM

The sky blue paint is worth a try, but I'm guessing it will only work in a blind if there's enough sun shining in so that it looks blue. If your blind has the windows coverd it will be dark and the wasps won't see the color.

A much better solution is to simply understand some things about wasps. They only build nests in the spring. So if you watch for them in about March or April, you'll see them with a small nest and only a very few wasps. Just spray them then and you'll be done with them for the year. On the other hand, if you don't open your blind until September, you'll find a huge nest, which is great souvenir for a ten year old boy.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 03:20 AM

The spiders are a different story. Always watch out for black widows and brown recluses and don't mess with them. They like untouched trash piles and old hunting blinds.

The daddy longlegs are nothing to fear. They just bunch up in the middle of summer. Just brush them out with a broom. They're harmless and fun to watch.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 03:31 AM

ProZap no pest strips. Will not keep them out but will kill them all. Leave them in the blinds year round, just put a fresh one in every 3-4 months.

up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 12:51 PM

I've learned that wasps are pretty much harmless first thing in the morning when temps are cool. Just knock down their nest and spray the heck out of them with wasp spray. I've tried every spray out there and they all work about the same. We hunt out of our blind year round, so it's pretty common to have to spray for them fairly often.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 01:50 PM

That's OK, by opening day that "tirdy" pointer from the great white North, will show up and, I just remembered!nidea you will be busy anyway fixing up your dads new Colorado place so,, this is working out great up

ha! yeah, I'll put ZK on wasp patrol of the new CO place ... LOL

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 02:00 PM

roflmao
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 02:03 PM

I always spray/bomb them well after dark. Bees generally don't fly at night so you can at least get them when they're all on the nest. Follow up with Demon and you're good until next year.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK

ha! yeah, I'll put ZK on wasp patrol of the new CO place ... LOL

roflmao He just isn't going to win in this deal!

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 04:04 PM

nope and he isn't kidding about him being scared of wasps ... I don't care for them either but I'm not a nancy about them cheerleader

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 04:55 PM

I guess "daddy" will have to take care of it rolleyes Being a parent never ends brudda grin

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 06:33 PM

ha! only if I get to hunt out of it ...

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 07:10 PM

Pull rank.....You can also hold the key to the new place in Colorado as an incentive up

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 07:25 PM

"Uh dad, someone broke the window to get in." peep

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 07:44 PM

"Uh dad, someone broke the window to get in." peep

Think he would fall for that?? whip Is what would happen LOL

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 09/30/15 08:05 PM

Nope. I've learned my lesson with a broken window lol
Posted By: Tres

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/01/15 03:38 AM

Just throw a fogger in there a few weeks before season and you're good to go.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/01/15 04:10 AM

Just quit being a wuss and go in there during the daytime so you can see.. quiet like, with a sharp knife. Post pics afterwards.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/01/15 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Just quit being a wuss and go in there during the daytime so you can see.. quiet like, with a sharp knife. Post pics afterwards.

Or this, GoPro footage would be eeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/01/15 04:16 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Jay Brown

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/02/15 05:50 PM

If have not tried it, Bengal Roach spray ids by far the most effective wasp control I have ever used. orderless and safe for pets, just apply once every 6 months and no wasps or any bugs. I just go bt every blind, shed, etc in July, open door and spray for 20 seconds close door and leave. If there are any in Oct, a quick follow up as you leave the blind from a hunt and your good till next year. Nothing has ever worked better than this. It is not a contact spray, takes an hour!

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 02:08 PM

Got em coach! No more wasps in my stand!

When I was picking up my hog panels last week, the place was out of Demon WP so I just picked up more bug bombs and a couple more cans of wasp spray. Although when I looked in the stand 2 weeks ago I swear the whole roof was covered in nests, but there weren't as many as I expected this second go around. roflmao There were still quite a few though.

Got there fairly early while it was still cool out, set off one bug bomb with one hand and sprayed the nests with the other hand. After season is up, there will be new windows made and the whole stand sealed.

There were close to this many I killed outside the stand as well. After I shut the door I stood by a window with a can of spray and picked them off as they were coming out the windows.
rifle

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 02:47 PM

cheers Tis good thing didnt try pulling door of at well shed at 3:00am in the morning... The pump wasn't hummen, so just shut off the breaker... Next day went ta clear the weeds, thorns & such, noticed the wasps coming out of shed... It was full of wasps... Addic probley the same here at house.. It older house, lot of vents ta keep it cooler up in addic in summer... See lots of wasps... Boreing days sit on porch with rofl bb gun.... Twas so thick one day, went out with 12 gauge with #8... rofl cheers

Glad every thing under control... Edit: Bad things can happen... At lease moving some brush on a hot day, got inta a fight with some yellow jackets.. One got me into a lip-lock .... Put my lights out.... flag

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 02:59 PM

Darn ZK, you built a wasp nest with all those openings! they just took your cue grin

I was thinking you had 1, maybe 2 nest, not "trimmed" out in them!! roflmao

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
cheers Tis good thing didnt try pulling door of at well shed at 3:00am in the morning... The pump wasn't hummen, so just shut off the breaker... Next day went ta clear the weeds, thorns & such, noticed the wasps coming out of shed... It was full of wasps... Addic probley the same here at house.. It older house, lot of vents ta keep it cooler up in addic in summer... See lots of wasps... Boreing days sit on porch with rofl bb gun.... Twas so thick one day, went out with 12 gauge with #8... rofl cheers Glad every thing under control...

Edit: Bad things can happen... At lease moving some brush on a hot day, got inta a fight with some yellow jackets.. One got me into a lip-lock .... Put my lights out....
Edit: ops.. rofl was trying ta seperate the edit part from rest of post, & screen jumps around on android.. Some people think i do it on purpose... Hit the Quote by accident.... Yet,now ya see why barely passed english, got grades ta prove it... Seen on t.v. Its Bully week or day... tis used ta being laughed at made fun of... my posts aint worth 2cents any ways... Tis #1 on de ignorance list... flag

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 03:21 PM

Well, when dad built this blind, he had some plexi glass for the windows out at the old lease. When we got off that place, I stole the blind and took it out to my FIL's place. While in transit, ever single piece of plexi glass busted, so I measured the holes and went home to cut some plywood for a quick fix last year...I don't know what I measured because as you can see they were way off lol and the holes weren't cut very square. After this season i'll work on it quite a bit to where I wont have this problem anymore.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 03:30 PM

That's what you get for stealing from your dad roflmao

Wood may have shrunk as it lost moisture, may be why the fit is so loose now.

There is a bright side, if you are hunting and it is getting boring, you can sit and wonder when the one you missed, will fall down your collar and sting the hell outa ya!! scared grin

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 03:33 PM

roflmao lets hope not. I knocked all of the nests down after they were all dead. I'll be back out the weekend before season starts and make sure there aren't any new ones up.

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/05/15 03:56 PM

yea you weren't kiddin thats a butt ton of red wasps! I found out this weekend a quick hit with the propane torch does a great job.. just be sure to hit 'em quick and not set your house (or blind) on fire! up
Posted By: texasgal

Re: Deterring Red Wasps? - 10/06/15 08:54 PM

Cattle fly ear tags work. Put them in the feeder mechanism boxes too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum