Texas Hunting Forum

110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips

Posted By: Bigfoot

110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:01 AM

What is ya'alls recommendation for cooler size for general hunting purpose.

Is a 110 big enough to bring home a quartered deer or possibly 2 or do I need the 125?

Dont forget a few hog backstraps in there also

Thanks!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
What is ya'alls recommendation for cooler size for general hunting purpose.

Is a 110 big enough to bring home a quartered deer or possibly 2 or do I need the 125?

Dont forget a few hog backstraps in there also

Thanks!!

If you bone it out you can get 3 hill country deer in a 125

I got a hole boned out elk in a 150 with plenty of room for ice
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:39 AM

I have both. You can fit two young deer quartered pretty comfortably in the 110 if you don't keep the ribs. If you do keep the ribs you can fit two deer with ribs & necks in the 125. Depending on the size of the deer, you may need to de-bone the hind quarters. Just make sure you pack them right no matter the size....better to have more ice especially between the meat.
Posted By: rickym

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:40 AM

Two deer would be pushing it if it's just quarters backstraps and loins plus 2-6 hog straps I don't think there's gonna be much room for ice, unless your deer are small.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:49 AM

Like Bobo said, if you de-bone first (which I rarely do) you can pack quite a bit more meat. I only de-bone first if I think I'm gonna be pressed for space.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:54 AM

If you're gonna go big, go big.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:01 AM

Yelp more room for ice the better
Posted By: Phantom

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:02 AM

go big and have a strong friend to help you carry it when its full. I think mine weighs 45 lbs empty.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:02 AM

I just came back from Texas with a quartered fallow in a 100 qt Colman Extreme cooler. The buck was about 140 lbs live weight with the quarters, loins and tenderloins weighing 54 lbs at the processor. It easily held 40lbs of ice the first night and another twenty in the morning after draining the melt.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: brianl
go big and have a strong friend to help you carry it when its full. I think mine weighs 45 lbs empty.

roflmao yes they get heavy.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:27 AM

Neither. Too darned heavy! I had a YETI 165. It would hold 4 deer, quartered, plus ice. But it took 4 full grown men to load that cooler in the back of the truck when full.

I could handle the cooler empty. Barely. I'm 5' 10" with Popeye arms.

Based upon personal experience, I see no reason to own a 100+ quart YETI unless you're trying to outfit a bluewater boat. A 100-165 qt. Igloo will hold the same quarters and ice. And it weighs about 30 lbs. less than the YETI.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:40 AM

That's why you leave them in the pickup. My Icehole has been there from day one. Never took it out.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:48 AM

I keep a 35 qt for beer and water. when loaded it is rather heavy. I leave the 110 in the truck and load it there if I can. still two people can handle it without to much effort.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Based upon personal experience, I see no reason to own a 100+ quart YETI unless you're trying to outfit a bluewater boat. A 100-165 qt. Igloo will hold the same quarters and ice. And it weighs about 30 lbs. less than the YETI.

Exactly.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 03:20 AM

I used to go through an igloo almost yearly. They worked fine for the money. They tend to crack if anything is dropped in them. and just wear out with lots of use. I still have my original Yeti. Plus I can stand on it in my boat to fish in the bay.

Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 03:21 AM

Neither. Too darned heavy! I had a YETI 165. It would hold 4 deer, quartered, plus ice. But it took 4 full grown men to load that cooler in the back of the truck when full.

If you have 4 quartered deer plus ice in a cooler, 30 lbs isn't even noticeable.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: MarkE

Exactly.

Been there, done that. Used Igloos for years. 1-3 deer and anywhere from 1 to 8 pigs in a weekend in the S Texas heat you need big coolers that hold a lot of meat and ice. I don't miss any of my Igloos. You also can't fit very many Kingfish, nice snapper, ling, dolphin etc in a cooler less than 100 Qts. You gotta have big coolers. I need them, that's why I have them. up I consider these green water coolers. Blue water is another ball game. You can't fit very many black fin tuna in even the 125's, run out of room fast. I also speak from personal experience. up

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 04:09 AM

I've filled up my 95 qt cooler in the bays I don't know how many times when on the fish. Even them little Mangrove Snapper will fill up a big cooler when you get on them. You start catching other species (redfish & such) and you are out of room quick. It pays to have big coolers that last and actually hold ice.

and then if you wanna go shark fishing.........

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 04:38 AM

More reasons I haul big heavy coolers around with me....

Green water...

4 down, a few more to go. Gonna be here for a few more days....Glad I don't have to keep adding ice every 6-8 hours.

grin If you don't need big heavy expensive coolers then don't buy them, some of us do actually need big coolers that won't break and hold ice longer than the others. up You can use anything for a beer cooler.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 11:46 AM

He careful boning out deer at camp.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

x2

Pigs are ok but I believe you are to have no less than quarters of deer prior to processing. I was even told not to skull cap a buck but have horns attached to the head.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:37 PM

You can bone out a quarter at camp, you can not chunck it out.. You can have boneless quarters. You can not have chunks of quarters. Big difference.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:39 PM

Any ice chest with 4 deer and Ice in it would take four guys to lift it.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
You can bone out a quarter at camp, you can not chunck it out.. You can have boneless quarters. You can not have chunks of quarters. Big difference.

That's why I said be careful. grin
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:43 PM

Been asked a few times huh roflmao

GW and the Questions... confused2 roflmao

I bone all mine out...

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:45 PM

cheers I should of clarified for the others reading anyway.

I can see it now....that flashing PM icon, a ticket picture and a picture of a bunch of stew meat smile but bobo said smile
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:49 PM

Next cooler I buy will be a 150 qt. I suspect it will hold an entire elk if I get the opportunity to harvest one again. Every January I go on a doe hunt with instructions to shoot as many as I have tags for, and if I don't want all the meat there are plenty of people that will take it. Plus several times a year I use my 120 qt. Igloo just for ice transport to resupply the 50 qt. day cooler. And now I realize how poorly an Igloo doesn't keep ice...

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Next cooler I buy will be a 150 qt. I suspect it will hold an entire elk if I get the opportunity to harvest one again. Every January I go on a doe hunt with instructions to shoot as many as I have tags for, and if I don't want all the meat there are plenty of people that will take it. Plus several times a year I use my 120 qt. Igloo just for ice transport to resupply the 50 qt. day cooler. And now I realize how poorly an Igloo doesn't keep ice...

You can get two rear quarters in the bottom but it's tough, then rest on top. Bone atleast one out. It goes a lot smoother. Bone both out, You can also fit cape.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:02 PM

Empty space in a big cooler is ok, but you cant put more in a little one than will fit. For a meat cooler I always err on the big side.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:14 PM

cheers I should of clarified for the others reading anyway.

I can see it now....that flashing PM icon, a ticket picture and a picture of a bunch of stew meat smile but bobo said smile

roflmao

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Empty space in a big cooler is ok, but you cant put more in a little one than will fit. For a meat cooler I always err on the big side.

Roger that. Last year I hauled six 95 - 125 qrt meat coolers for a cull shoot and still ran out of room. Should have seen to looks on some people's faces going down the road with 8 YETI coolers strapped down in the back of my truck. roflmao Anyway, yes I too will be buying a 160 next.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

You can get two rear quarters in the bottom but it's tough, then rest on top. Bone atleast one out. It goes a lot smoother. Bone both out, You can also fit cape.

Well if the next bull has to get hauled out like the last one (three men, backpacks, two trips, mile and a half) then all four quarters will be boned where the bull fell. Bone weighs something at 10,000' crazy

Preciate the info!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Roger that. Last year I hauled six 95 - 125 qrt meat coolers for a cull shoot and still ran out of room. Should have seen to looks on some people's faces going down the road with 8 YETI coolers strapped down in the back of my truck. roflmao Anyway, yes I too will be buying a 160 next.

Must have hired armed guards to go into the stop and go for a leak?
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:42 PM

My 110 holds 1 Kansas deer quartered and about 20 lbs of ice.

I dont really use the 110 in Texas because I hunt so close the house

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:44 PM

Roger that. Last year I hauled six 95 - 125 qrt meat coolers for a cull shoot and still ran out of room. Should have seen the looks on some people's faces going down the road with 8 YETI coolers strapped down in the back of my truck. roflmao Anyway, yes I too will be buying a 160 next.

Must have hired armed guards to go into the stop and go for a leak?

Armed guard, I are one. grin oh and heavy chain & locks help too.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 01:45 PM

Sorry, back
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 02:02 PM

I like my 165 for long trips, you can fill it about a quarter full of ice then put 2 weeks worth of groceries in it and still be dumping ice out when you get home a week - 10 days later. I am getting old but can still handle it for the most part that is until I start stacking meat in it. I have a 50 as well that I use for drinks. Other than long hunting trips, salt water fishing or parties at the house, the 165 is too big for most applications and I think the 110 would probably be the more suitable all around size cooler.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 03:53 PM

Also big cooler is great to lock gear up in. Waterproof also smile
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 04:04 PM

Both of these guys fit into two yeti 65s with zero room to spare. I keep all the quarters, backstrap, tenderloins, ribs, and scraps. I'd love to have a 110 or bigger, and if you have the $$ i'd go with the 125 no doubt. That hog was in the 200lb range, buck was about 140lbs

Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 04:07 PM

250 Qt or 160 min.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 04:22 PM

I carry my 100, 75 and 50qt Bison Coolers with me on most of my big hunting trips. I use usually keep food/drinks in one of the smaller ones and fill the 100 with ice...then I can move the ice around depending on what I harvest and which cooler it will go in. Usually get a deer and hog at the minimum and those can fit in the 100 fairly well.

Incidentally, if you guys ever want to buy a Bison Cooler, we sell them on our website, and we can design a lid graphic with maps of your ranches for a small set up fee.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 07:52 PM

I have a 125 and wish that I had ordered the 160. IMHO I would at minimum get the 125 but if you can swing it get the 160

Walter
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 08:48 PM

I have been trying to order a large yeti and unfortunately they are are backorder on everything currently the local shops I know have them but at higher prices and don't carry above 125...

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 09:16 PM

Wow 3 pages of posts before I even remembered to check again.

I guess Yeti's are a hot topic and since I plan on harvesting a doe and a hog or 2 this year from an outfitter I found on this site I need to be prepared. Looks like I need to get the 125 and that sounds like a good general all around size for camping and/or hunting. 48 pounds is heavy.

Ive got a few igloo 165's but their latches have been broken for years and they just dont hold ice more than a day if that. All they are good for now is storage. Why keep spending on them when they just dont last. Buy once, cry once!

I was at Academy yesterday looking for them and they were out of all of the bigger ones. I hope this doesnt last and they get them back in stores quickly.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 11:18 PM

Check out the other rotomolded coolers. Icehole, Brute, Bison, etc. They all seem pretty similar. I can't speak for the others, but my Icehole does as well as any Yeti, and it looks better doing it.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/29/15 11:22 PM

Wow 3 pages of posts before I even remembered to check again.

I guess Yeti's are a hot topic and since I plan on harvesting a doe and a hog or 2 this year from an outfitter I found on this site I need to be prepared. Looks like I need to get the 125 and that sounds like a good general all around size for camping and/or hunting. 48 pounds is heavy.

Ive got a few igloo 165's but their latches have been broken for years and they just dont hold ice more than a day if that. All they are good for now is storage. Why keep spending on them when they just dont last. Buy once, cry once!

I was at Academy yesterday looking for them and they were out of all of the bigger ones. I hope this doesnt last and they get them back in stores quickly.

A temporary fix on your old cooler is to use ratchet straps behind the old hinges. It will last for a while. Eventually you will run out of places to put screws in though. But it's a good make it functional fix
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 06:06 AM

Yeti is back order big time. Last time I tried to order one they said the first of the year probably before I could get it.

Walter

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 01:15 PM

all of the good coolers will take a while to get. Sometimes you can call the company direct and get one. Look at orca coolers. I was able to get a 140 qt fast but backorder on the 75qt
Posted By: MarkE

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Check out the other rotomolded coolers. Icehole, Brute, Bison, etc. They all seem pretty similar. I can't speak for the others, but my Icehole does as well as any Yeti, and it looks better doing it.

Right. The difference is, Yeti spends 10X more than any other cooler brand in marketing. “Yeti” is all that the majority of the population knows when it comes to high quality coolers. I have a 75 qt. yeti, but if I end up getting another larger cooler (replacing my 150 qt. igloo which has been well worth the money), I will probably go with a Brute.

OP – You can get a yeti 125 on Amazon for under $700, free shipping.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Yeti is back order big time. Last time I tried to order one they said the first of the year probably before I could get it.

Walter

Interesting....apparently the hype is real about them smile. At least the demand shows that.
Posted By: Bison Coolers

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 04:13 PM

Be sure to give us a good look at https://www.bisoncoolers.com/. We're based in Keller, TX and sell at dealers across the state. Here's an interesting comparison...

The Yeti 125 holds 100 (not 125) Quarts and costs $549.

The Bison 100 holds 100 Quarts and costs $449. On top of that, our coolers are Made in America and include more insulation, a built-in ruler, dual drain plugs, open grab rails for securing the cooler and the ability to add custom lid graphics.

https://www.bisoncoolers.com/shop/brute-box-100-qt/
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 07:44 PM

This will satisfy your needs

http://yeticoolers.com/tundra-420-cooler/

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bison Coolers
Be sure to give us a good look at https://www.bisoncoolers.com/. We're based in Keller, TX and sell at dealers across the state. Here's an interesting comparison...

The Bison 100 holds 100 Quarts and costs $449. On top of that, our coolers are Made in America and include more insulation, a built-in ruler, dual drain plugs, open grab rails for securing the cooler and the ability to add custom lid graphics.

How does your gasket material compare to the YETI?

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bison Coolers

Yup. Brute Box all the way. up

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 08:39 PM

It looks like the walls are thinner than the YETI, you say there is more insulation? Serious question.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 08:59 PM

Not all insulation is created equal
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
If you're gonna go big, go big.
up
Posted By: cerda12

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 09:07 PM

TexFlip, is that the 75?
Posted By: Western

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 09/30/15 09:26 PM

Not all insulation is created equal

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 10/01/15 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: cerda12
TexFlip, is that the 75?

Yes, that's a 75. That's the hind quarter from an Axis buck for size comparison. He weighed right at 180lbs dressed and I fit the entire carcass (bone in) in with the ribs and had plenty of room for ice on top, bottom and between.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 10/01/15 12:37 PM

It looks like the walls are thinner than the YETI, you say there is more insulation? Serious question.

That's a valid question. We cut up about $5,000 worth of competitor coolers prior to designing ours. That's a "Y" on the left and a Bison on the right. They flare out there sidewalls to make it appear thicker than it really is.

[img]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...amp;oe=5689549B[/img]

Regarding different qualities of insulation, that's true. We have our own proprietary blend of foam insulation but we'll put it up against anything on the market.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 10/01/15 01:26 PM

That's impressive, thanks for sharing. I've got a number of YETI's but I'm not married to them. I got my first one (discontinued now) when they first came out, before their name was everywhere and most folks had never heard of them. I get discounts on them sometimes so I have just always stuck with them. If there is a better cooler out there that is the same price or less than a YETI I will buy it.

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 10/05/15 09:32 PM

I really like the idea of the 100 qt Bison cooler that holds the same as the 125 yeti.

When I look at the dealers online it says places like "Joes welding and oil field supply?" Is that right??

Where can I go to get one in the League City area?

Re: 110 or 125 yeti for hunting trips - 10/06/15 12:42 PM

I really like the idea of the 100 qt Bison cooler that holds the same as the 125 yeti.

When I look at the dealers online it says places like "Joes welding and oil field supply?" Is that right??

Where can I go to get one in the League City area?

We have quote a few supply shops that are signed on as dealers. I'd give them a call just to confirm they have sufficient inventory. We have about 4-5 dealers within 10 miles that you could check out. Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum