Texas Hunting Forum

Corn consumption

Posted By: Mr. T.

Corn consumption - 09/28/15 07:38 PM

I know this is a loaded question, but how much corn do deer consume each day. If I have 10 different deer eating at my feeder, about how many pounds of corn should I have it set on to throw daily? I know as food becomes more scarce in the early winter, they will need more. but as an average, what do you think. I'm in Eastland county.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Corn consumption - 09/28/15 08:55 PM

I would say corn is more or less an attractant, if it is holding them on your property to your liking its doing its job.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn consumption - 09/28/15 09:21 PM

To much and you could have health issues. I would feed 3-4# per feeding or what they can clean up in a short time period. I would feed more by hand on the ground when hunting to hold them if needed.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Corn consumption - 09/28/15 09:44 PM

Take cable string from tree ta tree, or such... 5gal bucket, take flange fitting for toilet, cut hole in bottom of pail so flange fits flush glue short piece of secudual pvc pipe with elbow, heat so can bend up to hold corn from spilling, cut away top part, be gravety feed deer take what they want... flag
Posted By: PMK

Re: Corn consumption - 09/28/15 10:16 PM

also, too much corn and all you are doing is feeding coons and hogs (if no pen). I don't think of my corn feeders as much as feeding the deer as much as attracting them to come thru around the time the feeder goes off. It still brings in the coons and hogs but hopefully the deer get first pickings during daylight hours.
Posted By: bdotson

Re: Corn consumption - 09/29/15 01:07 AM

I feed 50 pounds a day 365 days a year? I put out one bag a day from my rhino might not be good but that's what I do.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Corn consumption - 09/29/15 01:21 AM

The corn will be a good attractant but offers little in the way of nutrients. I like to keep a free choice protein feeder somewhere near to provide food with a benefit and hold does in the area.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Corn consumption - 10/06/15 12:37 AM

I have three feeders and go thru 1700# every two weeks. Seems to hold them in, should.. I see 30 to40 deer every night.
okiehuntr
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn consumption - 10/06/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: okiehuntr
I have three feeders and go thru 1700# every two weeks. Seems to hold them in, should.. I see 30 to40 deer every night.
okiehuntr

You seeing any elongated hoof problems?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum