Texas Hunting Forum

ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM

Posted By: STJS45

ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 02:51 AM

Well..... My first hunt, my first day, my first call, and thats right, my first ELK!!!!
Ethan with Bar X Bar is a very knowledgeable guide with access to some great country and a great lodge. I have been blessed to hunt some awesome places around the world and harvest great trophies, and i can tell you if you want a good shot at some good elk hunting check him out.

Well since this is not an ad, i would like to share my hunt. Showed up to some definite elk country late Tuesday (9/15) night in the middle of the Santa Fe National Forest. Pumped about my first elk hunt, but i guess more pumped to not be at work and be out west. Woke up next morning, not knowing what to expect. Walked up the first ridge after about a mile of walking and a few empty calls, WE GOT A RESPONSE!! Little did i know what was to come. After closing in the distance, my guide which we called GOAT (cause he could walk up hill for days with out breaking a sweat) said get your bow its about to happen. Hit his last bugle and the bull popped out making a B line for what he then though was a satellite bull and maybe some of his cows. I set up next to a pine tree and quickly range a tree where i though he would walk near. Luckly he was a few yards past it. I drew my bow when he walked past the thickest part of the walk and waited for my window to meet the bull. Took the shot at 35 yards and the rest is history. I could not be more pumped about my first bull and my time with some great people. Spent a week with one of my best buddies chasing elk and met John (BOBO the clown) and Brian also forum members. John also got a dandy of a bull. Want to thank God first and then Ethan for a great hunt and great service.

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:10 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:49 AM

Congrats, nothing like that first bull.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:50 AM

Congrats on a great bull
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:54 AM

Great hunt, great reward, nothing better, congratulations up
Posted By: Western

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 09:26 AM

Congrats on a lot of "first":!! Super bull even if it was number 10, good job.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 11:36 AM

congrats on your first bull! if you didn't already know it is so hard to be successful at Elk and especially with a bow. you got it done first day which is awesome! I didn't get my first Elk until 20th day of hard hunting and that was no mistakes or misses on my part.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Congrats on a great bull

Outstanding! cheers
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 01:27 PM

Congratulations and thanks for sharing some great pictures!!!
Posted By: PMK

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 01:29 PM

up
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 01:31 PM

Congrats! I leave Friday to meet up with Ethan and put his dogs to work chasing bears. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 01:33 PM

Congrats, yal must not know how to smile, I'd be grining from ear to ear
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 01:37 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:32 PM

Outstanding up
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 03:43 PM

Awesome! up

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
Congrats! I leave Friday to meet up with Ethan and put his dogs to work chasing bears. Looking forward to it.

Saw a bear and few fresh bear sign. Couple of fresh prints and scat!

Thanx to everyone. Was an animal that represented the west to me and always wanted to hunt. NOW IM HOOKED!!!!
Wait until BOBO post his. He had a good hunt also. Should be getting back today.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 08:54 PM

Way to go !!!!
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 10:43 PM

Congrats, it took me 4 seasons to get my first.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 10:46 PM

Great elk
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 10:48 PM

Super, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/23/15 10:56 PM

Great bull again and it was an absolute pleasure sharing camp with you guys!!!

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/24/15 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Same to you guys! Lets check out your Bull!! and Brian, how he finish?
Posted By: Tres

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/24/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Great hunt, great reward, nothing better, congratulations up
Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 01:28 AM

Congratulations. Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 01:50 AM

Nice...
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: STJS45
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Same to you guys! Lets check out your Bull!! and Brian, how he finish?

Didn't finish like we had hoped but the last night at 4:30 am we had a bull bugling at the house that woke us both up!!! Must of been 100 yards tops!!
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 04:48 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 10:28 AM

Very nice up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 10:38 AM

up cheers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: ELK Success - First Day / First Kill!!! Bar X Bar / Pecos NM - 09/25/15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Awesome! up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum