Texas Hunting Forum

Let me ask you....

Posted By: rackjudge

Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 03:20 AM

So let's hypothetically say you know of a spot that YOU have permission to dove hunt in 2014. You take a friend, maybe a family member all ok since the landowner gave YOU permission and guests are allowed if accompanied by you. Fast forward to 2015, your family goes out there without you and doesn't even call you to let you know they are going. They are by law trespassing with a firearm and YOUR name is on the line.

How would you feel about this?... Hypothetically of course.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 04:05 AM

I'm not so sure your name would be on the line, but I'd definitely get the family straightened out with a quickness.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 04:27 AM

I would get my family and friends in line very fast! And be honest with the landowner about what happened.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 04:59 AM

Call the Landowner first, apologize, explain and hope you get to go back out. Kick the crap out of the organizer of the hunt and not invite them again.

Charlie
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 07:12 AM

I would no longer take my ex-family hunting.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 10:42 AM

People do crazy things over hunting. This kind of behavior is is exactly why I'm so stingy with my place. Give people an inch...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe

up
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Call the Landowner first, apologize, explain and hope you get to go back out. Kick the crap out of the organizer of the hunt and not invite them again.

Charlie

Yep
And pronto, you'll lose your hunting spot over this quick if you can't get your family under control.
Posted By: Western

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 01:57 PM

Charlie

That is what I'd do to.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 02:08 PM

Charlie

This...

Hypothetically of course rofl
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 02:19 PM

all of the above
Posted By: tlk

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 02:52 PM

people continue to amaze me - would never dream of doing something like that. Whats that song? God is good, Beer is great, and People are crazy

All suggestions above make sense -
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 04:35 PM

Charlie

Nailed it.

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 05:22 PM

When confronted, I was told "aw it was no big deal, there were other people hunting there without permission. Too".Mind you my permission came from a business relationship which is why I stated that my name would be on the line. This did not fly with me and I pretty much "flew off the handle".
I really came unwound when he told me "no posted sign, no fence, no problem" as if it is legally accepted. My answer was "if that is true and you really believe that why didn't you just drive around on the toll road until you found a place without those things and park it there"?

I started doubting my self for being irate, glad to hear 100% of the replies agree that it is wrong and I am correct in my feelings. Thought I was going crazy!

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 05:24 PM

It all could have been resolved with a "crap I should've called you" or something along those lines. Instead, I had to defend my anger. Ridiculous!
Posted By: Western

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 05:41 PM

Have the LO call the GW, then see if they think it is "no big deal"
Posted By: JCB

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 05:44 PM

While it has never happened to me on hunting land it has happened to me with private water I had permission to fish. It was very clear to them that they did not have permission to be there without me but they did it anyway. A friendship was lost that day but I don't regret it. Friends (or in your case family) should NEVER do you like that........EVER!

In my opinion you had every right to come unglued if they knew they were not suppose to be there without you.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 05:45 PM

Hypothetically I would be pretty p.o.ed.as some have said landowner gets the first call with an apology and assurance that it will not happen again. Then.....the dear old family members would get the call and it would probably not be pretty.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 06:00 PM

Wow, you have some crappy family members. Glad my parents taught me to respect other's stuff. You had every cause to rip them a new one.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 06:08 PM

Yall covered it.

The nerve of some people...
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 10:34 PM

I'd square the family away first, then call the LO to let him know, apologize, and let him know you've handled the situation as much as you can on your end. Never bring a problem to "the boss" without having done everything you can about it. If he decides to pursue it further, the family members that screwed me over go under the bus.

Edited to add what I meant to include the first time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: rackjudge
I started doubting my self for being irate,

The few times I've done it, I've found "going off" on certain family members quite cathartic.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Chief Joe

up

Charlie
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/06/15 11:50 PM

Doesn't have to do with Dove hunting but.... I am 23 years old. I live on 100 acres of land. My dad paid for it. Yes you can call me spoiled. But he paid for it for hunting land, and wanted me to move on it and take care of the land for him. I put corn out. Set stands up. Set feeders up. Check cameras. I do everything. He comes and hunts whenever he wants. In my opinion it's his land to do whatever with and I'm just the "ranch manager" that also gets to hunt. But my BIL last year opening morning of rifle season, without an invite, came over here and killed a 2.5 year old 6 point. He lied to us and said my niece killed it. It would've been her first deer so we didn't say anything. My 9 year old niece called me a couple days later crying saying she couldn't lie to me that her daddy shot the deer. He is now banned from hunting on this place. He knows it. My nieces know it. My dad knows it. I gave my nieces permission to come hunt this land whenever they want with ME. Can't wait to let my niece get her actual first deer this season. And it will be a bigger buck then her daddy killed.
Posted By: Someone

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/07/15 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsmen54
Doesn't have to do with Dove hunting but.... I am 23 years old. I live on 100 acres of land. My dad paid for it. Yes you can call me spoiled. But he paid for it for hunting land, and wanted me to move on it and take care of the land for him. I put corn out. Set stands up. Set feeders up. Check cameras. I do everything. He comes and hunts whenever he wants. In my opinion it's his land to do whatever with and I'm just the "ranch manager" that also gets to hunt. But my BIL last year opening morning of rifle season, without an invite, came over here and killed a 2.5 year old 6 point. He lied to us and said my niece killed it. It would've been her first deer so we didn't say anything. My 9 year old niece called me a couple days later crying saying she couldn't lie to me that her daddy shot the deer. He is now banned from hunting on this place. He knows it. My nieces know it. My dad knows it. I gave my nieces permission to come hunt this land whenever they want with ME. Can't wait to let my niece get her actual first deer this season. And it will be a bigger buck then her daddy killed.

I would hardly call you "spoiled" when you have developed the type of relationship with your 9yo niece where she feels guilty for lying to you based on her fathers stupidity to the point of calling you crying to tell the truth

it sounds like there is a reason your dad wants you out there and you have earned that trust with him (and her apparently as well)
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/08/15 12:49 AM

Wouldn't be the first time I've got sideways with the family, probably won't be the last!

Charlie
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/09/15 11:19 AM

They would not be allowed to use any of my firearms again.

They would not be invited to hunt with me on anyone's land I had permission to hunt again.
Posted By: ProneOutfitters

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/10/15 03:37 PM

cheers
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/10/15 09:59 PM

Man, someone would get a hypothetical a*@-whoopin'
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/10/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Dunk
I would get my family and friends in line very fast! And be honest with the landowner about what happened.

2X
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/11/15 11:52 AM

Put him or her on this forum, we'll take care of it.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/11/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsmen54

You have a very lousy brother in law and a very good niece. It would be difficult for a nine year old to call and admit such a thing. I hope you complimented her for being honest and encourage her in hunting and the rest of life.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Let me ask you.... - 09/12/15 12:13 PM

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum