Texas Hunting Forum

cheap game cam review

Posted By: therancher

cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 07:45 PM

Figured $49.95 wasn't risking much and since all cams have issues I'd give the TASCO cheapy a try. It is BARE BONES. 3 megapixels, limited IR for night pics, and NO programming options. It's weird because it has date and time stamps in a chip in it that you have to use your computer to program.

Average pics and at night it is only good for the central area (as evidenced by poor light and resolution on the background deer). But, if it lasts I'll probably buy more.

Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 11:00 PM

It serves the purpose. I picked up a Moultrie A5 gen 2 at Academy today, marked down from $79 to $59

Gonna run it through some tests and if it does well, grab some more while they are on sale this week.

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 11:02 PM

That sounds good too. I'll check it out.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

You got enough tags to take out all those culls? grin

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

Hail naw. That one has the classic "sawhorse" stance of CWD. He'll probably keel over in a couple of months. I'm running my own experiments. banana2
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/30/15 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

Hail naw. That one has the classic "sawhorse" stance of CWD. He'll probably keel over in a couple of months. I'm running my own experiments. banana2

clap

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 04:23 AM

Wow! After further review, the one on the left has the same "sawhorse" CWD stance!!! Maybe the state needs to come try to kill all my deer???

Dear god in heaven, please let them try.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 10:24 AM

Hey great looking bucks!

Thanks for the review. I just got some of the covert trail cams and I'm trying g them out. So far all I found out it was cheaper to put them on my family plan than to use them on the single session plan, pay as you go type thing. Saved me $30 a month.

They all have quirks but so far I have been pleased with covert.These are not cheap, but I thought I'd mention them anyway since I'm trying them out right now.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 10:27 AM

Makes the bucks look like they got extra points! confused2 clap
Posted By: kry226

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 12:04 PM

Natchez usually has refurbs for sale as well. I picked up two original Primos Truth Cam 35s for $49 a couple of years ago and they're both still going strong. Great pics day and night too. Only downside is D cell batteries.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:12 PM

Neither of the Natchez Primos 35's that I bought worked over 30 days. I tossed both.

The Moultrie A5 is pretty poor. Hundreds of picture of nothing and I took it back to Walmart.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:15 PM

Some Wally Worlds are running the Moultrie M550 for $50. 7mp 70' flash.

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Hey great looking bucks!

Thanks for the review. I just got some of the covert trail cams and I'm trying g them out. So far all I found out it was cheaper to put them on my family plan than to use them on the single session plan, pay as you go type thing. Saved me $30 a month.

They all have quirks but so far I have been pleased with covert.These are not cheap, but I thought I'd mention them anyway since I'm trying them out right now.

Great Curtis, keep me in the loop on how they perform please. I'm considering a few of those too.

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Some Wally Worlds are running the Moultrie M550 for $50. 7mp 70' flash.

Wow. I didn't see that at mine.

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Natchez usually has refurbs for sale as well. I picked up two original Primos Truth Cam 35s for $49 a couple of years ago and they're both still going strong. Great pics day and night too. Only downside is D cell batteries.

I love that first pic. And yeah, I flat out refuse to use anything but AA's anymore.

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 01:20 PM

Its a discontinue sale. Sent a buddy to look at the Baytown Walmart and they didn't have them, Lufkin, Cleveland & Porter had them, but they were locked up behind the counter with the ammo.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: cheap game cam review - 08/31/15 04:16 PM

Be careful buying refurbs.

Have done it twice and both cameras completely conked out after minimal performance for a month or so.

Have a buddy that buys them and has had mixed results, but I won't do it again.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/02/15 02:53 AM

Same here. Bought a couple from a guy here, one didn't work, which he replaced. Then both lasted a week after the 90 days warrantee
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Be careful buying refurbs.

Have done it twice and both cameras completely conked out after minimal performance for a month or so.

Have a buddy that buys them and has had mixed results, but I won't do it again.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/02/15 01:01 PM

Figured $49.95 wasn't risking much and since all cams have issues I'd give the TASCO cheapy a try. It is BARE BONES. 3 megapixels, limited IR for night pics, and NO programming options. It's weird because it has date and time stamps in a chip in it that you have to use your computer to program.
Average pics and at night it is only good for the central area (as evidenced by poor light and resolution on the background deer). But, if it lasts I'll probably buy more.

I bought 2 of these (slightly different, was labeled Simmons and only 2mp but otherwise exactly the same).
Got for $39.99 ea after discount at Gander mountain a year ago.
Both been working like champs for a year+ now - still the same set of 8x AA Rayovac Alkaline batteries for about 8+ months!!!
Really suprised me... tough little cameras and real easy on the batteries (when you put all 8 in).

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/02/15 02:02 PM

Thanks. 39.95 is pretty much disposable if they last a year. I remember spending more than that per camera annually to develop 35mm film.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/02/15 02:06 PM

I been using them for 5-6 years now and love them.. they just now went to the no program option I been trying to find one like I got last year... same size same batteries but there were program options on the screen... either way I still like them..

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/02/15 02:21 PM

Bought a couple of referb Primos Truth Cams a couple years ago and they are going strong.
They use the "D" cell batteries but they seem to last a good while.
I can't complain since I got a lot of use from them even if they where to konk out today I got my monies worth.
Posted By: tlk

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 12:57 AM

we are stumped on cameras - run them for years - every brand - we put them to the test - 105 plus degrees and lots of pictures - we tried the Primos with video last time - videos are great but the only way to review them is to click on each and every video and watch for 15 seconds before you can move on to the next one.

There is a TON of money to be made by somebody who figures out all the crud with different cameras and is able to produce one that works how it should
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 01:39 AM

Upside is they last 10,000 pics+ on a set of 4 D cell. I have one left out of my 35s I bought for $45 IIRC for 2 or more 3-4 yrs ago.

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 01:42 AM

I never could get mine to 10K. About 4K on a couple and 1 is having issues because it's done after about 1000.

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 02:10 AM

I'm getting 10K on my AA's.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 02:20 AM

So am I on my Bushnell's and SpyPoint(one model). Already had the Primos at the time and always have D cell but did not keep that many AA's. Now I do. My Primos uses 4 D cell and some AA models use 4 and other ones I have use 6 per camera. I prefer the AA since they are smaller cameras and much lighter.
Posted By: toolman

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 02:42 AM

I've been running the 35's for going on 6 or 7 years now. The original one has been in the same tree every since I bought it and I've replaced the strap twice. The lens finally got brittle and desintegrated so I bought a junk one on eBay and swapped the guys of the old one into the new case. The other four have all worked great except for one that got filled full of water after the coons tore it down and ripped the SD card plug off. It still works intermittently though.

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
So am I on my Bushnell's and SpyPoint(one model). Already had the Primos at the time and always have D cell but did not keep that many AA's. Now I do. My Primos uses 4 D cell and some AA models use 4 and other ones I have use 6 per camera. I prefer the AA since they are smaller cameras and much lighter.

I'm working on a case of AA I ordered off Amazon a couple years ago. Kid toys have put a dent in them.

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 08:07 AM

Upside is they last 10,000 pics+ on a set of 4 D cell. I have one left out of my 35s I bought for $45 IIRC for 2 or more 3-4 yrs ago.

I never could get mine to 10K. About 4K on a couple and 1 is having issues because it's done after about 1000.

I could have easily gotten 10k from mine. I had 3k on average from each camera before I took them down for the season but they still had 65% battery life. Not saying I would buy more, but these two refurbs I bought for $49 each has been money well spent.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 10:22 AM

The best cams I've used so far are the primos truth cam 46 HD, I don't do pics anymore because sometimes you miss an animal even though it trips the cam, these primos take awesome video. $74 a piece from Natchez, brand new.

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 11:58 AM

I could have easily gotten 10k from mine. I had 3k on average from each camera before I took them down for the season but they still had 65% battery life. Not saying I would buy more, but these two refurbs I bought for $49 each has been money well spent.

Mine go slow from 99 to around 50, then fall off in a hurry.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/03/15 10:17 PM

That's squirrel dinner there. food

Re: cheap game cam review - 09/04/15 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: OkieDokie
That's squirrel dinner there. food

I hope so! There's a couple of squirrels that live around this feeder and I think there just as bad as the coons. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum