Texas Hunting Forum

Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/15/15 11:56 PM

A man I consider a good friend and taught me more about hunting than my own father was killed this morning in Zimbabwe by an elephant bull in musk. I just read about it on another hunting forum.

This past January he spent a week at my house, immediately after the Dallas Safari Club show. He was excited about beginning to sell some of his wildlife photographs and we ran all over San Antonio getting photos blown up and printed for his next show, the SCI show in Vegas. He's stayed with me before and all of my kids knew him. Beginning in '99, I hunted 5 times with him at different locations in Zim. He didn't handle a client with kid gloves ever and we've had more than one shouting match about how I don't respond well when a man I'm paying yell's "What the f... are you looking at?! at me. We had a ton of laughs and enjoyed badgering each other tremendously. He was one month older than me at 54.

He made me a much better hunter. I hope to walk behind him down a trail again someday.

Adios, Gibbo. You will be missed.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:18 AM

My condolences to his family and to you for losing a good friend and mentor. angel
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:22 AM

Dang man sorry to hear it. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:23 AM

RIP Very sad.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
RIP Very sad.

To Young
Posted By: Western

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
RIP Very sad.

To Young
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 01:30 AM

RIP, prayers with you .
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 02:11 AM

Prayers for the family and friends.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 02:43 AM

Prayers Up. At least he died doing something he Loved. God Speed Mr.Gibson
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 03:07 AM

Dam, so sorry for your loss. But it sounds like he went doing what he Loved.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
My condolences to his family and to you for losing a good friend and mentor. angel
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 05:06 AM

Sorry for your loss, Creek.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 05:44 AM

What a sad tragedy. Sorry about your friend.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 11:56 AM

RIP
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 12:20 PM

RIP Very sad.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 01:22 PM

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 01:39 PM

Thank you gentlemen.

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 01:43 PM

What a great Pic, gotta love that glint in his eye of feeling the success of ya'lls efforts. RIP Indeed.
Ron
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 02:47 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear man. Prayers sent.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 04:17 PM

Sorry to hear!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 05:31 PM

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 05:54 PM

I had to take the picture of him with my sable down. Some disgusting kid had already grabbed it and was posting disgusting, sub-human crap about him in the comments of the news story somewhere else on the web. I know once something is posted, it's out there. I should have guarded my memory more carefully. It's amazing what kind of human filth is being raised in the liberal hot-beds of this world we live in.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 07:31 PM

God Bless him and prayers for family and friends. It's a shame some little Dbag thinks he has the right to sully a man after he's gone and cannot defend himself.
Posted By: East

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
RIP Very sad.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 10:08 PM

Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 10:27 PM

My condolences CR. Friendships affect us all in so many positive ways that we should never take for granted the time we spend with each other, whether well known, unknown, or just acquaintances. Each and all moments together can end up being something special. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/16/15 10:42 PM

Hmm... I know a guy nammed Gibson in San Antonio that is a professional African safari guide... I think his name is William though.. hope that wasnt him. Regardless.. condolences...
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/17/15 03:50 PM

I heard about that this morning, RIP
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/17/15 07:57 PM

RIP I'm sure he's tracking a bull elephant somewhere on the other side....
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/17/15 11:31 PM

X2
Posted By: TGreen

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/18/15 02:15 AM

Rest in Fertile Hunting Grounds.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/18/15 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Prayers for the family and friends.
angel
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/18/15 06:30 PM

Man, that sucks. I researched it and you can't imagine what some of the tree huggers are saying.

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/18/15 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
Man, that sucks. I researched it and you can't imagine what some of the tree huggers are saying.

Oh, I've seen it. That's why a lot of reputable news agencies (I realize that's often an oxymoron) are taking down their comments section. It's like the wild west, except in the wild west there was a little accountability - if you said that ignorant filth about a dead man, you often got shot dead. They're kids that never leave the city and really and truly believe nature works as shown in Bambi and The Lion King. Every animal has a "family" and they're all sentient beings. Complete and utter idiots.

And the ones that post the worst stuff? Oh, they are certain that they are THE most "evolved" creatures on the planet!

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/18/15 08:22 PM

Sorry, but you've got me cranked about this crap. I hadn't seen the Rick Gervais malarkey about sending Facebook users after a young woman hunter that is proud of her kills.

It's group think/mob mentality - think like we do or we will come after you and desperately try to ruin your life. "Animal rights", like the failed Global Warming hoax, is a true religion to some of these people and they are ZEALOTS. 'Makes the poor boy/men that sit in mummy's basement and play video games not look so bad.
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/19/15 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Sorry, but you've got me cranked about this crap. I hadn't seen the Rick Gervais malarkey about sending Facebook users after a young woman hunter that is proud of her kills.

It's group think/mob mentality - think like we do or we will come after you and desperately try to ruin your life. "Animal rights", like the failed Global Warming hoax, is a true religion to some of these people and they are ZEALOTS. 'Makes the poor boy/men that sit in mummy's basement and play video games not look so bad.

It riles me up as well, but (so far at least) I refuse to be taunted by them. I find it ironic that the same posters have no problems with playing video games like call of duty or grand theft auto where you get points for killing humans. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy COD ( not coordinated enough for GTA lol) but I just am baffled by those that spout death threats for the ethical and humane harvsting of ANIMALS. "Keyboard Commandos" is all that they are. Don't let them get to you.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/20/15 07:38 AM

I just cannot imagine caring more for an animal's life than another human being's. RIP.

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/21/15 09:21 PM

Unconfirmed, but posted on another site that there were over 500 people at his funeral. 'Seems the bunny huggers' opinions don't account for squat in the real world.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/21/15 10:54 PM

Hate that he is gone and may he find peace in the happy hunting grounds.

...But man what a way to go, I mean we all have to go someday; can you imagine standing inline to meet St Peter and tell that story. I hope his family is grown and they do not suffer his absence.

RIP
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 04/21/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
Hate that he is gone and may he find peace in the happy hunting grounds.

...But man what a way to go, I mean we all have to go someday; can you imagine standing inline to meet St Peter and tell that story. I hope his family is grown and they do not suffer his absence.

RIP

Well said angel

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/15/15 12:04 AM

Resurrecting this thread 'cause I found a picture that was posted this morning of the memorial his kids had erected in the Mwanja area of Chewore North, Zimbabwe; Ian's most favorite place on earth.

Rest in Peace my friend. You'll always be missed.

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/15/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
Prayers Up. At least he died doing something he Loved. God Speed Mr.Gibson

cheers
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/15/15 06:19 AM

cheers
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/16/15 02:49 AM

Nice memorial.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/16/15 03:14 AM

Very nice. cheers
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/16/15 02:55 PM

Sorry for your loss bud! May he rest in peace!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/17/15 08:10 PM

RIP
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/17/15 08:58 PM

Now that a little time has passed, I hope you can take comfort in knowing he died doing what he loved, doing what we all would have loved doing. RIP to your friend.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Ian Gibson, Professional Hunter killed by elephant bull. - 11/17/15 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum