Posted By: Diverdown

Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 06:10 PM

Piss me off. That is all
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 06:23 PM

lol
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 06:32 PM

I'm more irritated by them crossing into private where they've been around feeders.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 06:49 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 06:53 PM

The public land I've been on doesn't allow it.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/11/15 07:03 PM

The public land I hunt does not either or allow the use of atvs.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 12:51 AM

Not a fan either way. The dogs don't understand property lines. And most of the dog runners are worse.
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Diverdown

Lmao now who enforces these rules???? Littering is prohibited also!!
Show me some public that doesn't get run with dogs and no atv trails!

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 12:58 AM

I Hunt north Texas public,I'm waiting to see how those leather vests handle my muzzy! Can't wait!!!!
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: BadLander
I Hunt north Texas public,I'm waiting to see how those leather vests handle my muzzy! Can't wait!!!!

I don't hunt hogs on public land but I do run beagles for rabbits , an that would be a felony to shoot an hunting dog , an on public land for sure ! An remember some people arrow carrying a little more than a stick an string

To the original poster what did they do ?
Deer hunters on public land piss me off to but its public so I mean gotta share
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Diverdown

Lmao now who enforces these rules???? Littering is prohibited also!!
Show me some public that doesn't get run with dogs and no atv trails!

Lake g-vine for majority of it.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 05:59 AM

The WMA I hunted last weekend does not allow hog dogs and does not allow hog hunting until after Spring Squirrel season. They had a problem with hog dogs crossing from private land. Defense was apparently that they were used for rabbit or squirrel. First they came up with a rule of no dogs on the WMA for anyone. I made some calls and was able to present my side related to hunting with my Vizslas. This year it changed again. They went with one dog per hunter allowed for rabbit, squirrel, or migratory game.

One corps public area this year requires dogs to have an orange vest and tracking collar. This includes waterfowl retrievers.

Basically some public land managers are finding ways to control the hog dog issue by making rules unrelated to hog hunting that are easy to enforce, but unfortunately effects other hunting dog owners.

As for shooting or traps for a a dog, there may be some way public land management can legally control the problem. I was on a drawn deer hunt several years ago in Texas where "Dog" had been added to our state issued permits.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
"Dog" had been added to our state issued permits.

up

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 02:51 PM

Come on swamp hunter seriously!!!! Half these so called hog dogs rarely leave with their owners ! They are stray pitbulls used to chase hogs! Don't worry I'd let your wienie dog slide chasing rabbits ! And since when is a lost pitbull a hunting dog= felony!!!! Just add pit killing to the rest of my felonys!!!! And as far as rules handguns are illegal on public!!!!!! CHL OR NOT!!!

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 03:44 PM

I was bow hunting for hog heard lots of barking then deer start flying by then a sow then five dogs. The guys were in a gator following. I told them what they was doing was not aloud. They said they have been doing it for years. I called the warden he seemed put out and said he would try to get someone out there. The rest of the day was shot
Posted By: Kyle Campbell

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 05:22 PM

Come on swamp hunter seriously!!!! Half these so called hog dogs rarely leave with their owners ! They are stray pitbulls used to chase hogs! Don't worry I'd let your wienie dog slide chasing rabbits ! And since when is a lost pitbull a hunting dog= felony!!!! Just add pit killing to the rest of my felonys!!!! And as far as rules handguns are illegal on public!!!!!! CHL OR NOT!!!

Only 8 sentences and 24 exclamation points. Now that, sir, is impressive. nuts
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 06:00 PM

This picture sequence are hog dogs on a public wma I was hunting. We waited a little while to see if the owners showed, but I suspect they were watching from a distance waiting for us to leave. I did hear a shot several minutes after leaving the dogs. Birds where the only legal game on this day. I don't remember seeing any pits in the mix. To the best of my memory there was a lab or mostly lab cross and mutts. Might have been a lacy or lacy cross too. More dogs wandering around than in the picture.

Ironically on a hunt at this area in yet another different year that above there was a time when both hogs for any legal means at the same time spring squirrel was in open season. I am pretty sure my dog was mistaken for a hog from a distance through the woods and shot at with a rifle, which ended my hunting for the day for safety reasons. This year hog season there has more restrictions and not open until after spring squirrel season closes. As hog dogging, hog hunting, and hog populations have increased, I think a lot of public hunting areas have been a work in progress trial and error on how to manage and regulate hunting around the hog problem.

More trivia, I also hunt in louisiana sometimes. They have gone so far as to create regulations that restrict the type or breed of dog you can have on a WMA during open bird hunting seasons to only those traditionally used for the type of season that is open.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/12/15 09:03 PM

Only 8 sentences and 24 exclamation points. Now that, sir, is impressive. nuts[/quote]

DAMN ENGlysh MAIJORS????!
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/13/15 03:54 PM

You must not know very much about hunting dogs
First off I have hog dogs an rabbit dogs , I never leave the woods with out my dogs
An it is a felony believe me ,
An you must have some deep pockets hunting dogs are not cheap
Yes there are people with so called hog dogs /hunting dogs that anit worth 2 cents
But if I'm hunting where it's legal to do so an you shoot one of my hunting dogs you going to be out some serious cash
Remember dogs have gps collars tells you right where they are at , an most guys watch it pretty close so if one stops moving some ones gonna be there pretty quick
Here's a little insite on dog prices
A good hog dog prices start around $1500 to $3500
An my little weenie rabbit dogs are actually beagles an they are not so cheap either
$500-$1000

An you say stray Pitbulls used to chase hogs is totally crazy , shows you don't know much about dog breeds
Pits are used as catch dogs they don't have the stamina or the nose to track a hog now there are some out there that can , I have one of them but don't use him that way
I suggest you get your facts straight an pray an hope you never shoot one of my dogs

And again I don't plan on hunting hogs on public land but there are several places that it is legal to do so , so who knows I might one day
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/13/15 06:25 PM

Shooting dogs is a serious matter---anywhere, any time, no matter what the circumstances. Spend a few days around the watering holes in East Texas if you want to see how serious is can become.
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/14/15 03:51 AM

When I first read this I thought he was talking about "hot doggers." Like people that show off. I was very confused for a while.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/14/15 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Shooting dogs is a serious matter---anywhere, any time, no matter what the circumstances. Spend a few days around the watering holes in East Texas if you want to see how serious is can become.

Got a call about 30 minutes ago about some folks wanting to retrieve dogs that they'd turned loose on public and we're still on public, but wanting to take the easy route and drive to within a hundred yards of them instead of walking and crossing all the sloughs and deep creeks to get to them. SMH.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/14/15 03:37 PM

WMA down the road allows use of ATV If weather permits. Last 2weeks of archery deer&hog is same time as squirrel&hog. Seen many squirrel dogs while sitting in stand. The hunters see the orange in trees & do best ta respect hunter. As at house here, dogs keep hogs moving, also deer. Its tough finding place ta do any type dog hunts. 2cents another cheap post flag
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/15/15 04:37 AM

Only good pit, is a...

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/17/15 02:17 AM

It's funny no one even mentioned about how the warden didn't really care and never showed up.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/17/15 06:46 PM

Same here. Dogs keep the hogs away from feeders & food plot, lately keeping the deer away also. People drop off dogs, cats, we've kept few as pets. Kept are dogs chained, they get loose, people think ya meen ta the dogs whin ya chase the dog back home with a stick. Last dog got taste of lead poison. It dont do no good ta complain. People have tried, they get inta trash, i just not a dog hunter, & they do better job than me keepen hogs from rooten up place, my timming stinks. Personaly dont think the hog problem is as bad as some say it is. Pressure keeps hogs on the move. On public land, i go were the dogs go, dont always get a shot, taken some cool videos. Agh the good ol days. flag
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/17/15 10:56 PM

Only 8 sentences and 24 exclamation points. Now that, sir, is impressive. nuts

DAMN ENGlysh MAIJORS????! [/quote]
English wasn't a big success in school I take it bounce
Posted By: ruckmarch

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/18/15 01:53 AM

Chesapeak bay retreivers are great at bird hunting.
Posted By: bone

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/24/15 04:48 AM

Some real idiots here!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/24/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bone
Some real idiots here!

Everywhere, really.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/24/15 06:47 PM

http://m.4029tv.com/news/Man-charged-with-killing-UKC-registered-coon-dogs/19075762

go ahead and shoot all the hunting dogs yall want up

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/26/15 09:16 PM

No more people bragging about how they want to kill people's hunting dogs??? Guy over by Royse city has his butt in a Crack right now for shooting 2 dogs on his property. They were causing no harm. Stupid thing to do. I think he lived in Royse city. Somewhere over in that area. You shoot a man's hound and you get caught its not going to be good news for you. I would agree if the dogs were attacking livestock but not just bc they are on your property.
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/26/15 09:24 PM

I'll take my chances. If you're gonna run hunting dogs, you better make damn sure they stay on your side of the fence.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/26/15 09:53 PM

You will learn the hard way then if you get caught. Better shoot shovel and shut up bolt
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 10:01 AM

OK, rural dog lovers, what does a landowner/hunter do about dogs? I have pics of 7 different dogs that are running on my property. No idea who they belong to but they have collars. I almost never see them but I also don't see many of the deer that are on my cams. Doing no harm?

Call the Sheriff? Good luck!

Damn right I'm PO'd!
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 02:32 PM

what dogs
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
You will learn the hard way then if you get caught. Better shoot shovel and shut up bolt

Wouldn't it be better to just keep control of your dogs so that you don't have to worry about them going onto someones property instead of blaming the land owner for reacting to a pack of dogs running through his place? Not going to be hard to justify protecting livestock if those dogs come anywhere near a cow, chicken or anything else.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
OK, rural dog lovers, what does a landowner/hunter do about dogs? I have pics of 7 different dogs that are running on my property. No idea who they belong to but they have collars. I almost never see them but I also don't see many of the deer that are on my cams. Doing no harm?

Call the Sheriff? Good luck!

Damn right I'm PO'd!

A loose dog in the country doesn't stay loose for long, least that is what I've always been told.
Posted By: Smith#34

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:01 PM

Why would you want to kill someones dog. They don't know they're doing wrong. Man up and take your problems to the owner.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Smith#34
Why would you want to kill someones dog. They don't know they're doing wrong. Man up and take your problems to the owner.

I have since I run snares and leg catch traps this time of the year. I then tell them if it continues to happen that will take care of the problem.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:20 PM

What dogs
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:23 PM

Country folk/city folk.

Country folk accept it as a fact of life that if their dogs run all over creation-they might not come back one day. Country folks I know generally give warnings when they know the dog/owner.

City folks generally have a different mentality-which is understandable since they don't have livestock to protect.

The problems arise when the city folk mentality comes to the country.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:48 PM

Puts beer down, "city folk? This country boy has gots me a pack of cur dogs and a full blooded, Heinz 57 coon hound that cost more than my 1965 single-wide trailer house to replace and the laws will be the least of your worries."
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:51 PM

I don't know who owns them but I'm pretty sick of the situation. And, they're never around when I am.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Puts beer down, "city folk? This country boy has gots me a pack of cur dogs and a full blooded, Heinz 57 coon hound that cost more than my 1965 single-wide trailer house to replace and the laws will be the least of your worries."

LOL. UIBA II- The Sequel

The unspoken Code assures anonymity.

smile
Posted By: cwhite25

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/27/15 10:15 PM

I lived on a ranch that backed up to the G-Vine core and ran dogs/trapped down there way before any rules came out against it. I was down there 3 or 4 days a week and selling hogs was part of how I made money. I think it would be safe to say I have caught way more hogs in them bottoms over the years than any other person that I have heard of. I never once ran into anyone down there and always respected other people's right to hunt the land. I never ran during deer season and went at off times when no one was down there. As the hog hunting shows started coming out more and more people started to pile dogs in the back of a truck and make a run at it. They didn't use what I would call common sense when hitting the woods. That combined with a lot more people moving in the area ruined a great thing for me. It won't be long before that same thing will happen to all hunting down there. Now it's not as much about hog/deer control as it is about the sport of bow hunting. At some point with all that goes on down there along with all the complaining..etc. The core will figure out the cons out weigh the pros and take all hunting away down there. Let's be real. Hog hunting with bows and not being able to bait it's not an effective way to control a hog population. You will never be able to get rid of all the hogs but they could contract it out to just a few people to Run dogs/trap or even fly the place here in there that would be way more beneficial. On top of all the people moving around it's just a matter of time. So enjoy while you can like I did. This is just my 2 cent....
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 03:44 PM

Dogs running anything on my property will be shot, law be damned! They where chasing a calf when i shot! I expect the same to happen to my dogs if they are on somones property. I try to keep them on my property but if they dont i would expect any landowner to shoot them, espically if they are chasing! Sometimes those gps collars will just lose power usually between two rocks or a high impact projectile! Drives me crazy people think they can just tresspass on any property these days!

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 05:51 PM

Nobody said anything about having the right to trespass. It's cowardly to kill a persons dog for no reason other than running livestock. Killing for the fact of being there is wrong. Take your problems to the owner.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 05:55 PM

Nobody said anything about having the right to trespass. It's cowardly to kill a persons dog for no reason other than running livestock. Killing for the fact of being there is wrong. Take your problems to the owner.

Do you know how many calves/sheep/goats are killed by dogs?
Do you know the owner of every dog you see?
Do you know that some dogs don't even have owners?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 06:20 PM

Others would say that not keeping your dogs on others land is irresponsible. There are plenty of ranches that have traps, snares, cyanide bombs, etc that will kill a dog the same as a bullet.

Killing a dog for chasing livestock is legal, same as killing an aggressive dog. I do not condone shooting a dog for simply being on their land, but I would never blame someone for protecting their investment and livelihood.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 06:37 PM

When a LO has to continually take his problem to the dogs owners...then it shows who cares more about the dogs. I am not going to change the way I take care of my place for sake of an irresponsible dog owner.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
When a LO has to continually take his problem to the dogs owners...then it shows who cares more about the dogs. I am not going to change the way I take care of my place for sake of an irresponsible dog owner.

Yepper, do they still make them Cyanide Bombs...I just had a light bulb moment w Coons roflmao
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
OK, rural dog lovers, what does a landowner/hunter do about dogs?

Been down this road with a dog that escaped it's owner at a Navarro Co. state park campsite and harassed some of my dads herd. My old man saw the dog going after a calf on his property adjacent to the park, shot it, owners saw the incident and called the sheriff, who after investigating the matter told said owners to do a better job keeping their dog on a leash in the park as it was a violation of law not to do so.

My dad is a hard man when it comes to his herd. Woe to the stray dog or cat caught acting up on his property. He was ruthless (and myself as well) when it came to getting rid of feral cats and dogs, but he has taken in a stray dog and become more forgiving towards strays in his old age. A few years back we were building fence along a COE boundary and found a mutt curled up in a post hole we'd dug the previous day. My old man was getting ready to set a post and hollered to come over and look at this. I thought it was a snake or some other critter but it was a medium sized terrier mix curled up in a ball in the bottom of the hole. It was obvious she was someone's pet so we took her to the house and he kept her. Her name was Milly, goofy as could be and a piss ant, she was a good dog.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. I'd forgotten about it until I hit this thread.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Yepper, do they still make them Cyanide Bombs...I just had a light bulb moment w Coons roflmao

They do. Our ranch has them during the off season

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Do you know how many calves/sheep/goats are killed by dogs?
Do you know the owner of every dog you see?
Do you know that some dogs don't even have owners?

Yes I have had dogs kills calves before, yes they were killed in their owners yard. Maybe we're not on the same page, I don't know. I'm just saying that if I walk outside and see a dog crossing my place, running back inside to grab a gun is not the first thing that comes to mind.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 02/28/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
People drop off dogs, cats......

That happened quite a bit at the state park near my folks house. Cats and dogs.

This is an entirely different situation, but I recently heard of a dog found in a crate in an apartment that had been abandoned by the occupants. They left the dog behind when they moved and it was a couple months before it was found. For the life of me I cannot fathom the mind set of a person that could do such a thing.

When I was younger, I wouldn't have thought twice about shooting a stray harassing our cows. Now, I wouldn't do it unless the dog was attacking livestock.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:41 AM

99.999% of coon dogs are not going to attack livestock. bang . For you guys that think yall are going to just shoot a hound and smash the GPS tracking collar and just sneak out of there without anybody knowing then you need to check into how the GPS trackers work and how closely most of the hunters watch them. Think what you want but go ahead and go shoot you a couple hounds and see if it don't cause you more grief than its worth. I totally understand you not wanting people trespassing on your property but them dogs are not there trying to eat your cows or whatever. To each his own but I would hope you would reconsider killing a hound just for getting onto your property. It's crazy how times have changed. Really kind of sad. Let me state that in no way do I think trespassing is right but going crazy on somebodies hounds is not right in my eyes either. If they are truly attacking livestock which they won't be, by all means do what you got to do. I would just hope people/hunters wouldn't just want to kill a dog bc it was to cross a fence.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:49 AM

99.999% of coon dogs are not going to attack livestock. bang . For you guys that think yall are going to just shoot a hound and smash the GPS tracking collar and just sneak out of there without anybody knowing then you need to check into how the GPS trackers work and how closely most of the hunters watch them. Think what you want but go ahead and go shoot you a couple hounds and see if it don't cause you more grief than its worth. I totally understand you not wanting people trespassing on your property but them dogs are not there trying to eat your cows or whatever. To each his own but I would hope you would reconsider killing a hound just for getting onto your property. It's crazy how times have changed. Really kind of sad. Let me state that in no way do I think trespassing is right but going crazy on somebodies hounds is not right in my eyes either. If they are truly attacking livestock which they won't be, by all means do what you got to do. I would just hope people/hunters wouldn't just want to kill a dog bc it was to cross a fence.

If a person who is running dogs takes the time to call AHEAD of time then there would not be many issues. He would have alerted the LO that is possible a dog might get across on their land and ask if it will be an issue. That never happens 99.9% of the time. If I got that call I can assure you I will tell them I have leg catch traps set and if they truly care about their dogs then they need to be aware of that. Seems like the old days of calling and asking for permission have gone away. It seems the standard today is just use the excuse that a dog can't understand what a fence is and let them run. If you can not keep your dogs on the property you have permission to hunt on the find a larger place to run them on or ask enough neighbors for permission to keep you from trespassing.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:55 AM

Ok yall win. Kill all of them you want. Have fun posting your bail bc you better have some damn good proof the hounds attacked your livestock or something.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:58 AM

Catching one in a leg trap or snare is totally different than shooting one. If they get on your place and get in a trap then yes tough luck to the hunter. Don't blame on you there.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:58 AM

Ok yall win. Kill all of them you want. Have fun posting your bail bc you better have some damn good proof the hounds attacked your livestock or something.

Where in my post does it say anything about attacking livestock and me killing man's dog? I posted I have leg catch traps set and if his dogs trespass then it will be his issue to deal with, not mine from that point on. He will and/or his dogs will still be trespassing without LO permission. You can not get around that fact however you try to spin it.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:01 AM

Catching one in a leg trap or snare is totally different than shooting one. If they get on your place and get in a trap then yes tough luck to the hunter. Don't blame on you there.

I also thinking about using Conibear traps this spring so I would think if anyone cares about their dogs as much as I do about mine they would be eager to know that before they let them run where ever they want.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:12 AM

I wasn't talking about your post as far as the livestock is concerned. That's most people's first thing they say. Sir you can trap or kill all of them you want. Like I said to each his own. We can argue all day about this and I won't change your mind or anybody elses. I do not like trespassing so I couldn't blame anybody for getting upset over it. Killing a hound over it in my opinion is not worth the bull crap your going to have to deal with.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:16 AM

They don't have to attack livestock to kill them....

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:20 AM

I think this dead horse we are beating has been dead for awhile!!!! You fellas have a good one.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:28 AM

It has been beaten on for years, folks just may not have seen what stressed calves do from dogs that are just wanting to be playful. No biting, no attacking, just wanting to run them and bark at them for a little while then go on about their business.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 03:28 AM

I wasn't talking about your post as far as the livestock is concerned. That's most people's first thing they say. Sir you can trap or kill all of them you want. Like I said to each his own. We can argue all day about this and I won't change your mind or anybody elses. I do not like trespassing so I couldn't blame anybody for getting upset over it. Killing a hound over it in my opinion is not worth the bull crap your going to have to deal with.

If a hound owner really cared enough about his hound(s) this would never be an issue. A simple phone call or dropping in to visit a neighbor to ask permission first would solve any issues before hand. That day is long gone it seems in many areas. The hound will be lost, caught, injured or killed due to its owner not caring enough to do this before hand. It is all about who cares more about what happens to their property at that point. Trespassing is not trespassing when you have permission in my book.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 06:22 AM

If a hound owner really cared enough about his hound(s) this would never be an issue. A simple phone call or dropping in to visit a neighbor to ask permission first would solve any issues before hand. That day is long gone it seems in many areas. The hound will be lost, caught, injured or killed due to its owner not caring enough to do this before hand. It is all about who cares more about what happens to their property at that point. Trespassing is not trespassing when you have permission in my book.
2cents we've had dog wars for years, ran cattle, people moved in, dogs run loose, tried the neighborly way & talk. No good, they just buy more dogs. We've had some come ta house no collar, kept as pets for kids, put on chain. Last one learned ta back out of collar. Found shot by mail box. Have more pics of dogs than hog's & deer combined on trail cam's. scratch makes a tougher hunt, keeps hogs away. Didn't see any deer while hunting this year only sat hand ful of times. It don't do no good ta complain. People try, they knock over trash also. They just get more dogs. For those who hunt with dog's understand their side. AT OSBWMA if see a stray do what can ta find owner. flag
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 02:06 PM

Just had a couple of guys run their dogs on our lease and we always welcome them this time of year for the benefit of helping control the pigs. Doesn't bother me at all because, being a past hound owner myself, I know they and their dogs are after one thing only -hogs. The damage that hogs create to food plots and roads, which makes it tougher on my tractor, is what bothers me. I wish they could hunt and kill every last one of them.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 11:26 PM

If you truly loved your dogs youd keep them off others property.
If you cant be sure they will stay on the correct property why would you turn them loose with the chance of being shot?
Either you really love them or its an excuse to let your dogs run free any property line be damned.
Just sayin
Posted By: don k

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/01/15 11:57 PM

Thank goodness there is no one around here that has hog dogs. Just town dogs that don't usually make the trip back to town.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 04:35 AM

I love these threads

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
I love these threads
Me too. It really gets some people stirred up.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 12:58 PM

There was an article in last weeks Bandera paper about dogs killing a persons Alpacas.

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
There was an article in last weeks Bandera paper about dogs killing a persons Alpacas.

The dogs got that one right.......

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 04:35 PM

I think this dead horse we are beating has been dead for awhile!!!! You fellas have a good one.

cheers The topic say's public land & some how it draws in privet land. rofl yet i gotsta bees kareful bouys ofenden peoples feelens bout me spelen. back Most of my hog hunting for grillen & chilen is done on public land. Have spent many hours & days sitting in tree stand durinh archery hunts. Hog doggers might push things my way. In stand with bow cause of health problems limited ta 20-25 yrds for deer & might streatch a shot at hog ta 30yrds, they want hogs gone, just like surrounding neighbors. Hog the other wld game. Have had hog doggers hunt here were have feeders & stands. Shoot, tis the dogs that keep the hogs away from my feeders, not me the hunter. My 2cents . Another cheap post. flag
Posted By: spg

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/03/15 05:03 PM

I've had dogs for years, never had lost one either. I never had hog or deer dogs only labs and other mutts. The dogs I new would wonder off if I left them unattended I always pinned up when I couldn't watch him and never took the dog hunting where he would have a chance to trespass. To sum it up, the trespassing dogs owners should not have the privilege to have dogs, if you can't contain your property (dog) you shouldn't have one, the owner should be fined as if he were trespassing. All public land borders private sooner or later so, yes I guarantee doggers will target the thin line of public/private and play the act stupid card when they get caught on private.....the ways its been and always will be as long as dog hunting is allowed.....there's always that one guy with dogs.
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Hog doggers on public land - 03/04/15 12:45 PM

I take my old army assault bag. Has a woobie, one empy and one full bottle of water, extra flashlight batteries, flash lights, ear plugs, gloves and beanie, knife, gerber. My gun and that's it. I'm in a blind. No heater. I like to suffer a lil bit of I can. I feel if I'm gonna kill a deer I might as well not feel like I'm hunting from I side my house. My blind is cold drafty has roof leaks It can be real fun fighting the cold trying to hunt. To me that's exciting. Although I did purchase a thermacell for $10 so illtrythatthis year
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum