Texas Hunting Forum

Hypothetically Speaking

Posted By: DQ Kid

Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:24 AM

Been a lot of talk about fenceline hunting, poachers and what not with some pretty harsh words and reactions. Hypothetically speaking, you have a neighboring hunter that has a blind on your fenceline and feeder 50 yards away from the fenceline pointed inside his property, directionally away from the fence. Anyhow, your hunting in the morning and hear a shot from that blind around 9:30AM. As you drive by that fenceline at 10:00AM on your way back to camp you come across a hunter that is intently looking down around the fence presumably for blood. As it turns out, he does indeed have a considerable amount of blood at the fence and shows you where he initially shot a deer 20 yards inside his property between the fence and feeder. He tells you his aim was at the shoulder and the deer has gone under the fence but feels it should be within 50 yards or so of the fence. Furthermore, he says the deer is a drop tine 12 pt., the drop tine you have been seeing on nighttime game cam pictures the past two weeks. The hypothetical question is what do you do? Do you allow him to retrieve his deer assuming it is dead inside your property line? Furthermore, how do you react knowing this is a B&C buck that you've tried to bag yourself? I have seen a good amount of aggressive talk and attitude lately regarding fenceline hunters and wounded deer and was just wondering what would be done during a simulated scenario. I know how I would react and have seen how others reacted when my Dad was in a very similar scenario to this, 25+ years ago down in South Texas. He was the shooter of a very nice 12 pt. buck that made it under the fence after having its front two shoulders taken out and the neighbors coming down while we were tracking it to the fenceline. What say the THF? I'll let you know how it played out for my Dad a little later...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:28 AM

I let him track and find his deer. Why wouldn't I other than just to be a petty jerk?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:33 AM

NP, does your attitude change at all if this hunter has been heard shooting a considerable amount of time during the season?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
NP, does your attitude change at all if this hunter has been heard shooting a considerable amount of time during the season?

My attitude might not be as good but I would let anyone onto my land to retrieve a legally shot animal.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:41 AM

Since you're the only playing as of now NP, what if that same hunter is seen coming through your fence while you're driving up. Rest of the scenario unchanged, blood is clearly shown to you on his side of fence, 20 yards inside his property, etc..
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:41 AM

I'd let him come look for it... I'd probably try n help him look for it. The buck could have just as easily walked by my stand that morning. Hopefully the neighbor would have the same attitude towards me. I guess that goes to "being neighbors" 2cents

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:43 AM

Good to see we haven't shot the guy by now as I feared based on some prior reactions.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:44 AM

Since you're the only playing as of now NP, what if that same hunter is seen coming through your fence while you're driving up. Rest of the scenario unchanged, blood is clearly shown to you on his side of fence, 20 yards inside his property, etc..

Your pushing and he gets a lecture but still can retrieve his deer. Attitude worse though.
Basically if I know he shot it on his side, he can have it short of cursing me or being a complete jerk.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 03:47 AM

NP, the fact it's that 12pt. droptine you've been chasing doesn't phase you at all?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 04:05 AM

NP, the fact it's that 12pt. droptine you've been chasing doesn't phase you at all?

It phases me, sure. But really neither here nor there. That's hunting. Nothing to do with the situation of letting a guy retrieve his deer. It's not my deer.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 04:06 AM

How about if you shot him on your side of the fence and he made it over to the neighbors side and the neighbor had just as many trail cam photos of the buck and he was after the him just as hard as you were? Just hunting I think..."he got lucky and I didn't" would be my thoughts.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 04:09 AM

I am with NP.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 04:17 AM

I will play, Like NP and TX would let him trail the deer. Even further if I am driving out there is a blood dog in the truck that will provide assistance in finding said deer.

Wasn't out there the weekend between Christmas and New Years and the deer did not come onto my place but a neighboring landowner killed a 10pt droptine that we had both been after for 2 years. He got him and glad he did, just as he would have been glad if I had gotten him. That is neighbors.
Posted By: Western

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I am with NP.

Me too, but I would accompany the guy on my place.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 12:23 PM

I would let him track his deer (while I am with him). I would also take the opportunity to visit with him about considering each of us respecting the other by keeping all stands and feeders at least 200-300 yards off our common fence lines.
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 12:42 PM

Let's track it and find it. And it's s good time to see what all he is seeing on his cams and probe for a little info. I talked to my neighbors and shared stories. They got a nice 9point I had been wanting to get. But I got a 10 point later that I showed a pic to them and they hadn't seen it on their camera. Sometimes it's nice to know what they see and don't see
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 12:54 PM

I would allow him to track the deer if he contacted me first before entering my property. He would have to be unarmed and I would have to accompany him and I would have the firearm if it's needed and I would do the shooting if needed.

If he entered my property without my permission I would press charges for trespassing and keep the deer.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
I would let him track his deer (while I am with him). I would also take the opportunity to visit with him about considering each of us respecting the other by keeping all stands and feeders at least 200-300 yards off our common fence lines.

Back to the fenceline hunter conundrum, lol....I will admit I am surprised that some of the more adamant anti-fenceline hunter advocates and don't wound a deer that jumps into my place haven't chimed in more. Everyone is playing nice. As for my Dad, as I mentioned the hunters on our the other ranch were driving up as we were tracking blood under the fence. Upon explaining to them what happened, they kindly allowed us to come through the fence and finish off the very nice 12pt. which was only 30 yards inside their brushline. As it was a 275 yd. shot, the bullet actually had hit low on the shoulder and taken out the front two legs of the deer. All was good and the neighbors even congratulated my father on a very nice buck. And no, these hunters were completely unknown to us as we had never seen them before. On a couple of occasions, we have rendered the same courtesy to others over the years. As NP mentioned, the wounded deer were not "our" deer, simply nature's deer to be appreciated by anyone and everyone..
Posted By: postoak

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 12:55 PM

Whether I would be upset about the location of his stand and feeder would depend on how much land he had. If that was the safest place he could set up on a few acres, then okay. If not, then I'd ask him why he set up there. But, come to think of it, if he had a large piece of land and he set up there because he was trying to draw deer out of cover on my land, I guess I'd be okay with that too.

In either case, I'd help him track the deer.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:01 PM

It's not my deer; it's the state's deer. Heck, he probably has photos of the same 12-pt on his cams and has been chasing it too. By luck and karma, the buck gave him a chance before you got your chance.

I'd give him a cold Dr Pepper out of my cooler and help him track it till we find it. And then I'd take kill pictures of him and his deer with his camera and mine. We'd exchange phone numbers, and I'd insist on wanting to see the mounted buck after he gets it back from his taxidermist. And I would call him next year, pre-season, and tell him what I am seeing on my cams....and hopefully, he will reciprocate.

Hunting is not a competitive sport. Years ago, golfer Gary Player responded to a scribe's question on how he was going to beat Jack Nicklaus. He said, "I have no desire to beat Jack, nor Arnold Palmer. They're my friends. I only try to beat par." That about sums it up, I think.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:10 PM

well said dawaba

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba

It's not my deer; it's the state's deer. Heck, he probably has photos on the same 12-pt on his cams and has been chasing it too. By luck and karma, the buck gave him a chance before you got your chance.

I'd give him a cold Dr Pepper out of my cooler and help him track it till we find it. And then I'd take kill pictures of him and his deer with his camera and mine. We'd exchange phone numbers, and I'd insist on wanting to see the mounted buck after he gets it back from his taxidermist. And I would call him next year, pre-season, and tell him what I am seeing on my cams....and hopefully, he will reciprocate.

Hunting is not a competitive sport. Years ago, golfer Gary Player responded to a scribe's question on how he was going to beat Jack Nicklaus. He said, "I have no desire to beat Jack, nor Arnold Palmer. They're my friends. I only try to beat par." That about sums it up, I think.

Now that's more like it, I love to see the brotherhood of the human spirit coming out. More recent threads had gotten me concerned that it wasn't alive and well. Also good to see that we haven't threatened or gone as far as even having shot at our hypothetical hunter as some past posters have been close to threatening to do so.
Posted By: don k

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:22 PM

First off it depends on my relationship with the neighbor. It depends on how I have been treated by him. Is he the owner of the property or leases it for hunting? He will get the deer I just can make it easy or hard.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
First off it depends on my relationship with the neighbor. It depends on how I have been treated by him. Is he the owner of the property or leases it for hunting? He will get the deer I just can make it easy or hard.

Don, that sounds a little like double standard treatment doesn't it? Owner is ok, leasee - ok but probably harder..Not nice.....
Posted By: Western

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 01:51 PM

It's not my deer; it's the state's deer. Heck, he probably has photos on the same 12-pt on his cams and has been chasing it too. By luck and karma, the buck gave him a chance before you got your chance.

Now that's more like it, I love to see the brotherhood of the human spirit coming out. More recent threads had gotten me concerned that it wasn't alive and well. Also good to see that we haven't threatened or gone as far as even having shot at our hypothetical hunter as some past posters have been close to threatening to do so.

DQ, Just my opinion, but I think allot of the "responses and post" you where thinking you'd get, reflect the immature crowd responses more than likely, or the "tough guys" behind a PC screen. I am betting that 90% of the BS in many post wouldnt happen unless someone has some "anger management" issues.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:00 PM

I'd help him find his deer. Next time maybe he'll get to help me find my deer.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

DQ, Just my opinion, but I think allot of the "responses and post" you where thinking you'd get, reflect the immature crowd responses more than likely, or the "tough guys" behind a PC screen. I am betting that 90% of the BS in many post wouldnt happen unless someone has some "anger management" issues.

Western, that was also my thinking kind of a big reason for the thread in the 1st place. Wanted to confirm that though..
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
I am with NP.

Me too, but I would accompany the guy on my place.

And offer any assistance that I could.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:08 PM

For the record, any stranger on my place will always be accompanied by me. I would also help him track and find the deer.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:19 PM

If it was shot on his side I would let him come look for it. Like others said I would accompany him. If it was a deer we were both after I would likely ask him if I could snag a few pics with it also. My mood would largely depend on how the events all played out. If he was someone who shot the place up and had 3 blinds on our fencline I would likely use it as some bargaining leverage to try and convince him to change his shooting habit and move his stands and lecture a little while looking for the deer.

After said deer was found or not I would show him out give him my phone number and tell him to please call if he needed something again.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:24 PM

Don, that sounds a little like double standard treatment doesn't it? Owner is ok, leasee - ok but probably harder..Not nice.....
I said that if I have a good relationship with the owner of the property or if he leases it out for hunting the lease hunter that would make a difference. I may be old and my way of thinking not politically correct, but here is the way I view things. I treat people the way they treat me. If someone treats me like crap then they will be treated the same way. Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:27 PM

I would as most said, let him track the deer and most likely, I would help him try to find it.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:30 PM

I said that if I have a good relationship with the owner of the property or if he leases it out for hunting the lease hunter that would make a difference. I may be old and my way of thinking not politically correct, but here is the way I view things. I treat people the way they treat me. If someone treats me like crap then they will be treated the same way. Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

Fair enough Don, in my hypothetical I was thinking we had little to no prior interactions with the hunter in question and have simply heard some shots from his stand that season, maybe hogs/maybe coyotes/maybe foxes/maybe deer, who knows...
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:55 PM

i agree with the other guys, if he took it legally he has my permission to look for it.

and dawaba, maybe thats why jack is the best ever and gary isnt. i promise you jack was going for the jugular every time he stepped on the course.

grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 02:56 PM

If he's got blood on his side of the fence, I let him come track the deer and I'll go with him. I've had a couple make it over and would expect the same courtesy.

30ish years ago, a guy drove up to our place and said 'Hey, I shot a deer and it ran into your place. Mind if I go look for him?" My dad said sure, and sent me with him (I was 12-13 at the time). Guy drove right to the deer, which happened to be a 10pt buck bigger than anything we'd ever shot. Only thing is, to get to where this deer was, the deer had to jump three fences, from his place to the neighbors, from the neighbors to the FM road, FM road into our place, and then run about 300 yards into our place before piling up. Deer would have covered about 600yds total from the guy's description of where he ran. The deer also would have passed a lot of cover on the way.

After we had loaded the buck and were driving back I began to look at the guy's gun. Well-outfitted Win M70 .264 Win Mag with a 6-20x scope on it. He was very proud of it and told me how well it shot and how it 'Reached out there'. It's always bothered me to this day, because I'm 99% positive he just shot diagonally from his place, across the FM road and the corner of his neighbor's place, and into our place to poach the deer. It would have been about a 300-400yd shot on the diagonal, depending on where the buck was in our place when he shot it as to where it finally fell. This was about a 130lb Central Texas buck so it's not like it was some bruiser shot with a .222.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 05:29 PM

My blind/feeders are 100 yards off my neighbors fence line. Before we root plowed the place I could not see the fence line. So should I move my blind? Almost all my deer come from the neighbors un-hunted pasture. I have not meet the new neighbors nor would I shoot over the fence line.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 06:04 PM

My neighbor owns 15 total acres, but it's positioned perfectly as a pinch point between woods and he actually sees as many or more nice bucks than I do. He also lets his friend, son, etc hunt the place, so they harvest more deer than I do.

Almost any deer they shoot make their way onto my property. I've never had any issue whatsoever letting them track them, but I do want to know before they do it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 06:13 PM

I hunt just the same as my neighbors do their property they hunt were they want and so will I. He was the lucky one to get the buck and would have no problem with him finding his deer and would even help him do so. Having someone take a nice buck that is in the area would be exciting to me and I would love to see it and take a picture. No reason to get angry about this at all and would be a pretty DBag move to not allow him to retrieve his deer. Because I know the day this happens to me I will want to be treated the same.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
For the record, any stranger on my place will always be accompanied by me. I would also help him track and find the deer.
This, +1.
Posted By: Play Maker

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 06:41 PM

Three of my neighbors can come onto my place any time they wish to do so via our common gates. The fourth neighbor, however, wouldn't be allowed on my property for any reason, period. I don't care if he shot the new world record and it jumped from his property to mine, he's not going to get it.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Play Maker
Three of my neighbors can come onto my place any time they wish to do so via our common gates. The fourth neighbor, however, wouldn't be allowed on my property for any reason, period. I don't care if he shot the new world record and it jumped from his property to mine, he's not going to get it.
I know exactly what you mean.
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 07:44 PM

Quote:
Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

I still don't get how it is apparently OK to attempt to dictate how your neighbor operates on HIS side of the fence line.

Flip the switch - say your neighbor just doesn't like the way you don't have a 30 yard wide bush hogged line on your side of the fence and asks you to start keeping your side of the fence up to his standards. How will you react to that?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 08:15 PM

A true sportsman that is respectful of both the resource and his neighbors would be careful not to select stand sites where there is a good possibility of a deer becoming non-retrievable.

If you don't have permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, you're being disrespectful of the resource by hunting next to it.

If I don't have prior permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, I don't hunt next to it.

If you need to contact a landowner for this purpose, just go to the county tax office and ask a staff member to assist you.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Quote:
Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

I still don't get how it is apparently OK to attempt to dictate how your neighbor operates on HIS side of the fence line.

Flip the switch - say your neighbor just doesn't like the way you don't have a 30 yard wide bush hogged line on your side of the fence and asks you to start keeping your side of the fence up to his standards. How will you react to that?
So if the placement of the feeder and stand would be where that if they shot toward their feeder it would be shooting toward your property that would be OK?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
A true sportsman that is respectful of both the resource and his neighbors would be careful not to select stand sites where there is a good possibility of a deer becoming non-retrievable.

If you don't have permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, you're being disrespectful of the resource by hunting next to it.

If I don't have prior permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, I don't hunt next to it.

If you need to contact a landowner for this purpose, just go to the county tax office and ask a staff member to assist you.

Do you have a binder you carry all these inane rules in so you can remember them?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 08:55 PM

I always try to get acquainted with neighbors before season starts, if all is well and phone #'s exchanged, it can be of use later.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 08:56 PM

Do you have a binder you carry all these inane rules in so you can remember them?

While im not gonna say I think they should be laws etc... they do kinda make sense don't they Nog?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:09 PM

Quote:

So if the placement of the feeder and stand would be where that if they shot toward their feeder it would be shooting toward your property that would be OK?

if their stand is on the fence do you think they are more likely to shoot toward the fence or back towards the middle of their property? i would be more worried about a stand 150 yards away from the fence myself.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I would allow him to track the deer if he contacted me first before entering my property. He would have to be unarmed and I would have to accompany him and I would have the firearm if it's needed and I would do the shooting if needed.

If he entered my property without my permission I would press charges for trespassing and keep the deer.

You would be in violation of the law for keeping a deer that one you didn't kill and two you didn't tag.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

You would be in violation of the law for keeping a deer that one you didn't kill and two you didn't tag.

Likewise you would be in trouble if you shot the deer then he tagged it and took it home.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Quote:

if their stand is on the fence do you think they are more likely to shoot toward the fence or back towards the middle of their property? i would be more worried about a stand 150 yards away from the fence myself.
That's the way I feel too, jshouse.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Likewise you would be in trouble if you shot the deer then he tagged it and took it home.

Yep, my point was just that because someone wounds a deer and it dies on your property, doesn't mean you get to keep it. You can let the hunter retrieve it or legally you have to leave it there.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:22 PM

Don't you think that is a bit much to ask everyone not to have a feeder or stand within 300 yards of a fence line? Not everyone owns 1000 acres.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:29 PM

While im not gonna say I think they should be laws etc... they do kinda make sense don't they Nog?

Somewhat I guess. Maybe. IDK. I don't have such issues. But even if I had a crappy neighbor I feel like I can hunt anywhere I want to on my own land. I am pretty low-profile though I don't think my neighbor would know where I was hunting, and I think I could get the deer I was after killed on my side of the fence 90+% of the time even if I shot him close to the fence.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 09:49 PM

If my neighbor shoots a deer on their property and it makes it to my property, they can come and get it. I do want them to leave their weapons on their property so there is no misunderstanding of what is taking place. I don't live on my land so escort service is not a reasonable thing to expect to do. I have never had an issue with my neighbors but then again I've only met one of them once about 5 yrs ago. I asked if I could come on his land to retrieve a deer if need be, he said fine and I extended the same courtesy. The other neighbor is in his mid 80's and never gets out to his property anymore but he does lease grazing rights. I fix our common fence because I know he can't do it anymore even though I don't run cattle.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 10:17 PM

What's with all the they have to leave their weapon on other side of the fence? You kidding me with hogs and yotes and fun stuff. If they're tracking for a deer they should have a weapon. What if it was a bad shot and still kicking when they get there? Stone it to death? No wonder our world is falling apart. No trust. I understand there are bad and untrusting people but unless they've given you reason to not trust I'd give them every bit of respect and let them do as I would want done unto me. I moved outta the city to enjoy the quiet and peacefulness. Everybody around me is nice as can be and I return the favor

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 22hemi13
What's with all the they have to leave their weapon on other side of the fence? You kidding me with hogs and yotes and fun stuff. If they're tracking for a deer they should have a weapon. What if it was a bad shot and still kicking when they get there? Stone it to death? No wonder our world is falling apart. No trust. I understand there are bad and untrusting people but unless they've given you reason to not trust I'd give them every bit of respect and let them do as I would want done unto me. I moved outta the city to enjoy the quiet and peacefulness. Everybody around me is nice as can be and I return the favor

The world is not falling apart because of a lack of trust... the lack of trust is because of a bunch of POS people that are tearing the world apart.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 10:34 PM

Common sense

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 10:45 PM

Sitting here thinking the same. Either you trust them enough to come on the property, look for their animal then leave or don't let them on at all. I would never trail a wounded animal without a gun, that's just not smart. I bet if the tables were turned they would want to take a gun onto the neighbors property.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 10:56 PM

I am old and have lived in the country for many a year. If any one who gives a sh*t and wants to hear what I think here it is. I think there are way to many of you that have been raised on pavement and think you know it all. You have your laws and think what goes on in the city and works out here have another thing coming. Here sometimes you need to do things that are maybe not the way your city ways dictate. You do it your way and I will do it mine. See which way works best for the both of us. Probably mine out here.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 11:28 PM

Common sense

It is not common sense to let a butthole neighbor dictate how you hunt your own property. Somehow I managed to "protect the resource" for over 40 years before I started reading your endless lectures.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 11:34 PM

Hemi, this is pretty much where I sit on things. If someone wounds a deer on there side and it crosses to my side, they are welcome to retrieve said deer requiring a followup kill shot or not. I would expect the same courtesy. In no way am I in favor of throwing initial shots across each other's properties. Should I find that to be the case, then that's another discussion of a whole different animal.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 11:38 PM

I am old and have lived in the country for many a year. If any one who gives a sh*t and wants to hear what I think here it is. I think there are way to many of you that have been raised on pavement and think you know it all. You have your laws and think what goes on in the city and works out here have another thing coming. Here sometimes you need to do things that are maybe not the way your city ways dictate. You do it your way and I will do it mine. See which way works best for the both of us. Probably mine out here.

You know it does not matter where you grew up, where you live or have lived - at the end of the day it should be all about neighbors working to get along and respect each other - period. Has nothing to do with rights - has to to with common decency and respect for each other. If people, no matter where they live or what their backgrounds are, show common respect for each other then problems are minimal.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 11:46 PM

Born and raised in the country. Live in the country. I am a landowner.

But I'm not going to sit here and generalize about city/country folk. In fact, most of the problems I have had of the "idiot/total disrespect" variety have been with country folk.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/14/15 11:58 PM

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 12:42 AM

This is the way a lot of HFs start. Someone claims that the neighbor shot their deer.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 12:43 AM

In the other thread showing a picture of a feeder on a fence line it looks like there is a high fence.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 12:49 AM

I detect the presence of several fence line hunters in this discussion.

Of course we all know what they say about grass and fences.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:04 AM

I don't hunt the fence line (unless you count our own ranch cross fences grin) and have no issue with others that do. I would have to count them, but I would guess there are 7-8, and maybe more, along our fences right now. We asked one to relocate because if they shot, the bullet would cross into our property.

Two of our neighbors have called us to track deer on our property. The rancher went with them, walked with them, and tried to help them. When one wasn't found, he called a couple of hunters to come help and called the local trapper to bring a dog.

If he had caught them crossing without contacting one of us, he would not have been happy and more than likely, would have sent them packing out of spite. Or he might have went ahead and let them look, but would have been pissed and told them to call before crossing any fences.

If they were rude or disrespectful, he wouldn't let them cross the fence for any reason.

The charge for trespassing isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Telling them no will probably just make them cross and hope they don't get caught. If they get caught, they will get a slap on the wrist and exactly how far will you go to hold them on your property until the GW gets there? What is it worth?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:04 AM

Somehow I managed to "protect the resource" for over 40 years before I started reading your endless lectures.

I'm sure it's my practice of getting straight to the point that really bothers you most.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:06 AM

Somehow I managed to "protect the resource" for over 40 years before I started reading your endless lectures.

I'm sure it's my practice of getting straight to the point that really bothers you most.

At times, I think it is actually the "point" that really bothers people.

I am still not over the flag and hating America post...
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:25 AM

I don't hunt the fence line (unless you count our own ranch cross fences grin) and have no issue with others that do. I would have to count them, but I would guess there are 7-8, and maybe more, along our fences right now. We asked one to relocate because if they shot, the bullet would cross into our property.

Two of our neighbors have called us to track deer on our property. The rancher went with them, walked with them, and tried to help them. When one wasn't found, he called a couple of hunters to come help and called the local trapper to bring a dog.

If he had caught them crossing without contacting one of us, he would not have been happy and more than likely, would have sent them packing out of spite. Or he might have went ahead and let them look, but would have been pissed and told them to call before crossing any fences.

If they were rude or disrespectful, he wouldn't let them cross the fence for any reason.

The charge for trespassing isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Telling them no will probably just make them cross and hope they don't get caught. If they get caught, they will get a slap on the wrist and exactly how far will you go to hold them on your property until the GW gets there? What is it worth?

What's it worth??? I'm smelling a rare ribeye and maybe a round of golf.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:26 AM

Oh, if that were only true. It's your unique combination of obtuseness and condescension that makes you one of a kind.

Even on the rare occasions when you have a point, you seldom get straight to it.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:35 AM

Man this is not worth the effort - I'm out

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 01:47 AM

Man this is not worth the effort - I'm out

Fence line hunting, spikes, and antler restrictions in general will never find agreement in these parts.

If only mobile apps did not make it so easy to waste so much time.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 02:40 AM

I wouldn't be upset but probably really depressed for a week or two. Regardless of my view on fence line hunting, I would almost always let someone track a wounded deer onto my land. Under a few circumstances I would not let him/her track the wounded deer, 1) if I knew the deer was taken illegally (before or after shooting hours) 2) I knew the hunter had shot onto my property in the past, and in this case it would be to teach a well deserved lesson of respecting others property

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Fun

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 02:00 PM

Yep, my point was just that because someone wounds a deer and it dies on your property, doesn't mean you get to keep it. You can let the hunter retrieve it or legally you have to leave it there.

Wrong. I find dead deer every season, that I didn't shoot and most likely some have been shot by another hunter who never found it, some I've made euro mounts of. There is nothing illegal about it as I've confirmed with the game warden. If I shoot it myself to finish it off and the hunter tags it there is nothing illegal about that either, as guides do this on a regular basis.
Yes, if I shot the deer and kept it for myself I would have to tag it. That's not what I said I would do in my post.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 02:10 PM

If I don't know and trust the Hunter they will not be on my property with me with a loaded firearm. We are talking about people that you don't know. You never know what they might do with a fire arm. They could be a very unstable person. One of the greatest soldiers/snipers of our modern time was killed recently by an unstable person with a loaded firearm that he was trying to help at a gun range near Glenrose. Now they have made a movie about him. American Sniper.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 02:34 PM

Chances are slim. Kyle was working with soilders that have ptsd. That's a risk with that job. Trust issues I guess for you. Id feel safer walking with a stranger looking for a deer who shares same passions we do about hunting than walking brought the ghetto in Dallas.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 03:53 PM

If I don't know and trust the Hunter they will not be on my property with me with a loaded firearm. We are talking about people that you don't know. You never know what they might do with a fire arm. They could be a very unstable person. One of the greatest soldiers/snipers of our modern time was killed recently by an unstable person with a loaded firearm that he was trying to help at a gun range near Glenrose. Now they have made a movie about him. American Sniper.

Then you shouldn't let them on your property at all with those kind of concerns. What if they have a pistol you don't know about, a knife, etc. If you have that little trust for your neighbor then why would you even consider letting them on your property. I think you would have a better chance of getting shot with a stray bullet then having someone ask permission to track a deer onto your property, then shooting you because they were crazy.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 09:26 PM

The weapon issue is that it prevents the potential perception of someone hunting on your property without permission. That's all. You'd like to be able to trust everyone these days but how many poaching posts do you see on THF every year? It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. I would never do it but that doesn't mean other wouldn't. I have tracked deer onto my neighbors property and I do it without a weapon. The deer have not been more than 150 yds over the fence. I just think it is a courtesy so no one takes things the wrong way. Pretty simple.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch

The weapon issue is that it prevents the potential perception of someone hunting on your property without permission. That's all. You'd like to be able to trust everyone these days but how many poaching posts do you see on THF every year? It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. I would never do it but that doesn't mean other wouldn't. I have tracked deer onto my neighbors property and I do it without a weapon. The deer have not been more than 150 yds over the fence. I just think it is a courtesy so no one takes things the wrong way. Pretty simple.

That is all fine and well until the deer is alive and takes off again because you can't shoot it. Potentially you end up losing it/having to track it even further. This to me again goes back to trust, you either have it or don't. If you can't trust your neighbor not to poach an animal while they are tracking another one, they have zero business crossing the fence in the first place. These threads are full of how common courtesy goes along way, being neighborly etc. I feel like being able to take a firearm with you while you track a wounded animal falls into the exact same category.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/15/15 10:28 PM

After reading posts on here and see some of the problems I glad I don't have some of you as neighbors. I'm even more thankful for the ones I have.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:20 AM

Ya'll need to go back and read the op. The hypothetical question was about a hunter on a neighboring property trespassing on your land looking for a deer. It never mentions a neighbor that you know and trust asking permission to find their deer. It's asking if its someone you don't know ask's permission to try to go find their deer after you find them on your side of the fence line looking for their deer would you allow them to do so. If you want to trust someone on your property that you don't know with a firearm go ahead. I hope it works out for you. And by me not willing to do so if that's not being neighborly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:28 AM

Chances are slim. Kyle was working with soilders that have ptsd. That's a risk with that job. Trust issues I guess for you. Id feel safer walking with a stranger looking for a deer who shares same passions we do about hunting than walking brought the ghetto in Dallas.

And so how do you know that the stranger looking for the deer isn't a former or current soldier with ptsd? Or someone that doesn't know or practice proper gun safety? Once the bullet fires there is no bringing it back.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:43 AM

Sitting here thinking the same. Either you trust them enough to come on the property, look for their animal then leave or don't let them on at all. I would never trail a wounded animal without a gun, that's just not smart. I bet if the tables were turned they would want to take a gun onto the neighbors property.

No I would not expect them to let me take my gun on their property to track a deer if they didn't know and trust me Rex.

And I don't mean to offend 22hemi13, but you are kidding yourself if you think just because you live in the country now their are not murderers, crazies and thieves out there as well. You giving your trust to a armed stranger could end up getting you and your family killed. They can easily shoot you BEFORE they give you a reason not to trust them.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:44 AM

Well I am the soilder with PTSD so i'd tell them bastards let's dance. Pretty sure I ain't gonna shoot anybody and I'm really not worried about anybody trying to shoot me. I'd drop them in their tracks before they could draw on me. I never said I'd let somebody walk behind me with a weapon. We walk side by side. I'd check safety without even letting them know. I didn't say say I would not be cautious. Damn I'm the one who's supposed to be paranoid and some of yall are worse than me. Maybe you should take some fun meds that chill ya out. flag banana2

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:46 AM

I've got my stuff covered. I'm not worried at all. Im not saying it couldn't happen. I'm saying that I'm ready when it does. Everybody in my house is ready. You can't offend me so don't worry about it. I love discussions

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 12:57 AM

Well I am the soilder with PTSD so i'd tell them bastards let's dance. Pretty sure I ain't gonna shoot anybody and I'm really not worried about anybody trying to shoot me. I'd drop them in their tracks before they could draw on me. I never said I'd let somebody walk behind me with a weapon. We walk side by side. I'd check safety without even letting them know. I didn't say say I would not be cautious. Damn I'm the one who's supposed to be paranoid and some of yall are worse than me. Maybe you should take some fun meds that chill ya out. flag banana2
I've got my stuff covered. I'm not worried at all. Im not saying it couldn't happen. I'm saying that I'm ready when it does. Everybody in my house is ready. You can't offend me so don't worry about it. I love discussions

Good, I'm glad no offense was taken. cheers

I don't need a chill pill I can assure you, and those that know me will tell you I'm far from paranoid. From my life experience I've found it's better to not put yourself in jeopardy and prove I'm man enough to dance the dance if need be. And knowing now that you are a soldier let me say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! flag

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 01:20 AM

Hahahahaha you up need to read op again. He states that he heard gunshot. Later checked things out. Found hunter on their side walking fence looking at blood. Deer was shot 20yds inside the hunters property. Then op asked would you let him cross fence to look for and retrive said dead deer. No "trespassing". Does that in fact change things in your opinion. Cause we aren't talking about trespassing. We're talking about being a dick and not letting somebody find a deer they shot on their property. Like I said before. Let's go find it. And no need to thank me for my service. It's what we do and did. cheers

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 01:26 AM

But now I'm tired. My meds kicked in think I'll go to bed Hahahahaha

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:23 AM

Ya'll need to go back and read the op. The hypothetical question was about a hunter on a neighboring property trespassing on your land looking for a deer. It never mentions a neighbor that you know and trust asking permission to find their deer. It's asking if its someone you don't know ask's permission to try to go find their deer after you find them on your side of the fence line looking for their deer would you allow them to do so. If you want to trust someone on your property that you don't know with a firearm go ahead. I hope it works out for you. And by me not willing to do so if that's not being neighborly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Ok, I did, where exactly does this story involve trespassing? I only took part of the post but nowhere does it say anything about a trespasser.

Quote:
Been a lot of talk about fenceline hunting, poachers and what not with some pretty harsh words and reactions. Hypothetically speaking, you have a neighboring hunter that has a blind on your fenceline and feeder 50 yards away from the fenceline pointed inside his property, directionally away from the fence. Anyhow, your hunting in the morning and hear a shot from that blind around 9:30AM. As you drive by that fenceline at 10:00AM on your way back to camp you come across a hunter that is intently looking down around the fence presumably for blood. As it turns out, he does indeed have a considerable amount of blood at the fence and shows you where he initially shot a deer 20 yards inside his property between the fence and feeder.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:26 AM

Rex, I think it was the followup scenario I put out there about whether the attitude or situation changes if you drive upon a hunter coming through your fence in search of a wounded deer initially shot on their side.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 03:36 AM

would help retreave deer & cheers flag
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 06:33 AM

popcorn

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 01:11 PM

Hahahahaha you up need to read op again. He states that he heard gunshot. Later checked things out. Found hunter on their side walking fence looking at blood. Deer was shot 20yds inside the hunters property. Then op asked would you let him cross fence to look for and retrive said dead deer. No "trespassing". Does that in fact change things in your opinion. Cause we aren't talking about trespassing. We're talking about being a dick and not letting somebody find a deer they shot on their property. Like I said before. Let's go find it. And no need to thank me for my service. It's what we do and did. cheers

If you read down a little further, the situation changed to the hunter going through the fence when you come upon him. Honestly though, even if he had stayed on his side of the fence, if I don't know him, he's not coming on to my property with a loaded firearm. I never said I wouldn't let him find his deer, just that I would have to accompany him and I would be the one carrying a firearm if its needed to finish off the deer. And I would have to be the one to finish off the deer for the reasons I've explained. If that makes me a dick you can call me Dick Tracy. roflmao

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 01:57 PM

My position is this, if I can effectively establish the deer was shot on the hunter's side and made it over to mine, I am more than willing to let him retrieve accompanying him. At this point, I've probably got a decent sense for his state of mind and will let him retain his firearm. If I have come across him crossing my property line and we have established the reasons for it and he has played nice to that point, I'll also allow him to retrieve his deer with gun. To me, it's about respect for each other. Excitement and adrenaline runs high in hunting so I can understand a bit, a guy trying to retrieve his animal. Just about how the interaction proceeds in my book as to how the ending will come to closure.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:03 PM

Hey DickTracy happy3 Dq kid nailed it. I can read a person pretty damn quick and figure out if they're up to no good or not. If I feel sketchy then I'll take complete control of the situation. I still believe there are good people left in this crazy world so I'll give everybody a chance. Try some crap though and you either be shot or held at gun point till the appropriate authorities arrive

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:21 PM

I agree with DQ except the firearm part of it. I believe in mutual respect as well. When it comes to handling loaded lethal weapons and I don't know you I would expect you respectfully understanding that because I don't know you, I have no idea if you can shoot straight and practice proper gun safety. As I stated before, once the bullet leaves the barrel, there is no bringing it back.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:34 PM

Pitch, I respect your position on that.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch

I see plenty of I found a deer dead so it must have been poachers, or my unlocked gate was open so it was poachers, or I found a twig broke in a place it shouldn't have been so it was poachers... but really never see to many we caught poachers and they were prosecuted and caught red handed post....

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:42 PM

Oh and tell me to move my stand 300yrds off the common fence line and you pretty much just took away your "common decency"... Even though I would just happily say no thank you and be on my way.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 02:57 PM

popcorn after reading few posts & as pappy once said: person with open mind has a wider point of view . scratch can see point of view of credit adviser. first lease twas on, 3 different times came across hunters, thinking none of the lease members was thar. one time two guns against one. bang yet like a dummy kept leasing while could aford it. 2cents i got cheap posts, for some one wondering about the woods flag

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
popcorn after reading few posts & as pappy once said: person with open mind has a wider point of view . scratch can see point of view of credit adviser. first lease twas on, 3 different times came across hunters, thinking none of the lease members was thar. one time two guns against one. bang yet like a dummy kept leasing while could aford it. 2cents i got cheap posts, for some one wondering about the woods flag

that same lease had hit a big hog, trailed it, & it did go off lease. trailed it, tis how was raised wound animal do best ta retreive it. some call it ethical , i know, it just a hog. tis a pour muyloco who barly kept de family feed. scratch twould be kinda scary seeing a dude like me with rifle. the above senerio the people were sitting in stands hunting, not members. NOT, saying i was right. flag

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 03:25 PM

Colt, you boggle my mind with your riddles..Having a problem telling if you're a genius or just a savant...

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 01/16/15 07:08 PM

Colt, you boggle my mind with your riddles..Having a problem telling if you're a genius or just a savant...

confused2 whats a savant rofl i gets emails allde time froms major univrrsitoes ta comes speach. 2cents i'm postaddic flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum