Texas Hunting Forum

Sheep and deer corn.

Posted By: Sneaky

Sheep and deer corn. - 01/01/15 10:50 PM

If you corn a road with domestic sheep on the property, will they find it and eat it?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/01/15 10:55 PM

Prolly quicker than the intended deer!

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/01/15 11:04 PM

I would think so. We've corned a couple roads with sheep in sight, and so far, we haven't seen them eat it.

Once, we corned a road midday, and it was gone before the evening hunt. We know the turkeys were in the area, though, so we can't say for sure who the culprit was. I just don't want a hunt ruined to find out the hard way what they will do with it.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/01/15 11:31 PM

scratch if ya use de cheep corn, dey come a runnen. 2cents i gots cheep posts flag
Posted By: Western

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 12:18 AM

The lease I was on West of Sterling had allot of sheep, never saw one at a feeder, or eating off the road.

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 12:36 AM

We have panels around the feeders, though the feeders sling a lot outside the pens. Bad enough you don't want to be there when they cut loose. Haven't seen sheep mess with it, yet. I never would have guessed.
Posted By: JROD

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 12:48 AM

Be careful if you put out a bunch of corn. It will kill sheep if the eat a bunch. Just a heads up.

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 01:23 AM

Thanks. I'll keep it to a minimum.
Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 01:58 AM

LOL, YES the sheep will find it in probably less than 2 hours, total waist of time if u ask me......
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 02:21 AM

we used to have a lot of exotic sheep at my ranch. They would lay down and wait under the trees for the feeders to go off and eat every grain.

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 02:26 AM

I just knew that was the case. Maybe that's what happened to the corn the other day. Only time it's happened, so far, though.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 12:47 PM

They are like hoovers . They will suck up every kernel of corn
Posted By: Western

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
We have panels around the feeders, though the feeders sling a lot outside the pens. Bad enough you don't want to be there when they cut loose. Haven't seen sheep mess with it, yet. I never would have guessed.

We didn't even have panels around most of our feeders, 12k acre place with cows, a few horses and a bunch of sheep. from what the guy's are saying, we where very fortunate, or maybe it was because they rotated them every 2 weeks IDK
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 01:50 PM

Not sheep, but I poured out 3 50lb bags along the woods line and sendero on my place a week or so ago.

About 10 minutes after sun up, I get a text from my neighbor (about 500 yards away) that he's never seen a flock of birds like the one hitting his feeder right now. Then I get a text, "Damn, they completely cleaned me out. Headed your way." and I hear them screaming/screeching as they're getting closer.

I was in a tree and almost scared. It was like locusts. Literally tens of thousands of these damn black birds swarmed in and hit the corn all around me and along the woods line. Deafening loud. Every time I moved, the flock flew but then immediately circled back to hit the remaining corn.

3 50lb bags, not a trace left in, at most, a minute and a half. Insane.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 01:53 PM

Sheep will not only eat the corn but will come back looking for it weeks long after the corn is gone.

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Not sheep, but I poured out 3 50lb bags along the woods line and sendero on my place a week or so ago.

About 10 minutes after sun up, I get a text from my neighbor (about 500 yards away) that he's never seen a flock of birds like the one hitting his feeder right now. Then I get a text, "Damn, they completely cleaned me out. Headed your way." and I hear them screaming/screeching as they're getting closer.

I was in a tree and almost scared. It was like locusts. Literally tens of thousands of these damn black birds swarmed in and hit the corn all around me and along the woods line. Deafening loud. Every time I moved, the flock flew but then immediately circled back to hit the remaining corn.

3 50lb bags, not a trace left in, at most, a minute and a half. Insane.

Dang. Just black birds? Not crows? I wouldn't mind if it was something I could shoot.

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/02/15 02:01 PM

They weren't very big. Just loud [censored], screaming black birds in massive quantity.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/03/15 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
They weren't very big. Just loud [censored], screaming black birds in massive quantity.

grackels
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/03/15 04:13 PM

If you would have had a shot gun, you could have made lemonade out of those lemons up

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/03/15 05:58 PM

My throwing knives were useless.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/03/15 06:09 PM

So some guys report sheep never touching corn and others report them devouring corn, and one guy says corn will kill sheep.

Seems like you'll just have to try it and see for yourself.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/03/15 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
So some guys report sheep never touching corn and others report them devouring corn, and one guy says corn will kill sheep.

Seems like you'll just have to try it and see for yourself.

& one: throwing knives were useless rofl now that thar tis funny flag

Re: Sheep and deer corn. - 01/04/15 04:27 PM

I corned a few spots. Finally saw one ewe and a lamb eating on it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum