Texas Hunting Forum

Targets on Corn Bags

Posted By: Txduckman

Targets on Corn Bags - 12/20/14 10:40 PM

Are good for something! Our leasors next door. Luckily don't hunt within 1/2 mile from here.

Posted By: Mason Brauchle

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/20/14 11:47 PM

man thats too close for comfort haha
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/21/14 02:25 AM

bang
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/21/14 02:34 AM

Oh, that requires a scarecrow exposing himself on your side. Or, get one of those concrete bucks and set it just out of rifle range on your property. Gonna take a little effort to get the paint color just right, but I think it's worth it.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/21/14 02:56 AM

I think they wrote "Feeder to Close to the Property Line" on the target side? aim
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/21/14 03:03 AM

I'd write a note saying it was against the law to shoot into your property, tell them to move it immediately, or you will call the game warden.
Then sign it,
Deputy Sheriff Jones

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 01:53 PM

I did write below the target that it was illegal to shoot across property lines. They have no cover, we do. Their camp is right past the blind and is open for a couple miles. I guess they think since they pay the landowner for open fields they can do this. They have two more feeders with 200 yards of here. One is about 60 yards off fence and other is just in the middle of a field used for cows. It must be the cheapest lease in Texas. They have a camp with about 5 or 6 campers right off county road so I can leave them a note there but not sure they will care. I'll just make sure they know we exist since they possibly thought no one was on the other side since we keep our property away from lines not visible to anyone.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 01:58 PM

maybe their bullets magically stop at the property line? rolleyes
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 02:02 PM

Obviously someone who believes that anything that's legal (putting a feeder near a property line when you have no attractive habitat on your land) must also be ethical.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 02:17 PM

I'll bet they put the shot up feedback there as a message.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 04:33 PM

Call the game warden and get this handled the right way. This is a dangerous situation that doesn't warrant any 'warnings' - law already violated (shooting corn-bag target thru fence-line).
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 04:50 PM

Shooting across fencelines = no bueno at all.

And I get that it is "your" property line. But it is also their property line - like it or not, you don't get to dictate what your neighbor does on their side of the property line.

I am sure that everybody that complains about a neighbor setting up a feeder or stand on "your" property line probably does several things on your side that may not be what the neighbor likes to see as well.

EDIT - this is for the feeder and blind hunting/complaining that happens when a neighbor has a feeder or stand on a fenceline. The setup int he OP's picture is just bad, bad, bad stuff because of the layout and the fact that they are almost guaranteed to shoot across a fenceline as a result.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 05:46 PM

To be clear, we have no proof of any shooting across the fence line though I am sure it has happened if they actually saw something. I just put the corn bag on the fence to let them know we are watching and maybe they' ll get the point. I'll check it in a week when I go out and maybe put another one up if it is still there. We have over 1,000 acres and so do they so this is just stupid.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
I'd write a note saying it was against the law to shoot into your property, tell them to move it immediately, or you will call the game warden.
Then sign it,
Deputy Sheriff Jones

I would strongly advise leaving off the "Deputy Sheriff" part.

Unless he is one, of course. smile
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 07:59 PM

Sure it is against the law to shoot across a fence, but has anyone ever heard of someone being convicted or fined for doing so?
I've never even heard of a GW forcing someone to move a feeder away from a fenceline, and I doubt they have the authority to do so.
Instead of a feedbag why not put up a couple of professionally painted signs warning no shooting across fenceline.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 10:32 PM

Just go put up a ground blind right on your side of the fence, don't hunt it but put it there. See if they are willing to shoot into someones blind.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 10:41 PM

Yep, all good options. This road gets driven only a couple times a year and we don't hunt within 1/2 so all we had on us at the time was the corn bag. I don't recall the feeder ever being this close until now. I'll send pic to our LO and see if they want to do more.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 11:01 PM

So basically this boils down to someone having a feeder on their property that you don't like, have never seen anyone fire at or across your fence but you decided to take the initiative to hang a feed bag with target holes on the fence as a "warning" along with a note?

Seems like the guys on the other side of the fence could turn YOU in for suspicion of shooting across the fence since you are the one who put the target on it.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/22/14 11:01 PM

Just get yourself several pieces of 10' pipe and dig some postholes next to the existing fence and place a few of those pipes into the ground. Bet that gets his attention.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/23/14 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Stoney
So basically this boils down to someone having a feeder on their property that you don't like, have never seen anyone fire at or across your fence but you decided to take the initiative to hang a feed bag with target holes on the fence as a "warning" along with a note?

Seems like the guys on the other side of the fence could turn YOU in for suspicion of shooting across the fence since you are the one who put the target on it.

Seriously? Where are you making this stuff up from?? Target holes from where? We just emptied them in feeders and I put one on fence with a note as I walk by there with my 9 year old. There is no hole in it. Corn bags from the local feed store have targets on them. They are pre-printed and this one is facing their blind. This your lease just north of Bowie? No one has been turned in to anyone and if you ask someone to investigate a dangerous and possibly illegal situation what is the issue? As I said, we keep our stuff we'll away and out of site so they might never knew we were ever there. Hopefully this is a gentle reminder to be careful. 15 years of hunting here never been an issue until this just popped up. I might have a new parking spot.

This happened to my friend. He just high fenced their mile of fence and problem solved when they would not move them.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/23/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

This happened to my friend. He just high fenced their mile of fence and problem solved when they would not move them.

After fair warning, nothing says I love you better than a high fence!
up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/23/14 08:14 PM

Seriously? Where are you making this stuff up from?? Target holes from where? We just emptied them in feeders and I put one on fence with a note as I walk by there with my 9 year old. There is no hole in it. Corn bags from the local feed store have targets on them. They are pre-printed and this one is facing their blind. This your lease just north of Bowie? No one has been turned in to anyone and if you ask someone to investigate a dangerous and possibly illegal situation what is the issue? As I said, we keep our stuff we'll away and out of site so they might never knew we were ever there. Hopefully this is a gentle reminder to be careful. 15 years of hunting here never been an issue until this just popped up. I might have a new parking spot.

Stoney's gotten very combative lately. Brain bleed?
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/23/14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
After fair warning, nothing says I love you better than a high fence!
up

roflmao
clap
up
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/23/14 11:19 PM

So I was thinking a "nice" Xmas tree with LOTS of tinsel to blow with the wind and reflect the beauty of nature. Then you could put battery operated motion sensor light on it so that all the creatures of the evening could also enjoy your tree with the glittering tinsel blowing in the wind whenever they chanced to walk by. I think it's OK for light to cross a fence line.
This makes it a win win for everyone; you and the animals get to enjoy Christmas, heck you could share it with them all year for that matter
loco_too
Posted By: JRR

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/24/14 11:13 PM

I'm not of member of the anti fence hunting gang but having the feeder right there and the rifle blind where it is would be disconcerting to me !! In this situation there is a high likelihood of shots being in your direction.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/25/14 04:22 AM

On second thought, screw a blind. Get a POS camper and put it up there, right on the fence line.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/25/14 05:29 PM

I have no problem with hunting the fence line and putting a feeder near the fence. People have a right to do what they want on their side of the property line (legally speaking). The problem is the orientation of the stand to the fence. He isn't bow hunting at that distance and rifle rounds are going to cross the property line if he fires.

If the feeder and stand were oriented parallel to the fence, I would not have a problem with it. That setup, however, is problematic.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
On second thought, screw a blind. Get a POS camper and put it up there, right on the fence line.

I am on the anti high fence, anti anything crowd but but we have two POS campers and I think we will pull one this weekend over there. We don't have a plan for them until now. Thanks!

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 06:09 AM

I am on the anti high fence, anti anything crowd but but we have two POS campers and I think we will pull one this weekend over there. We don't have a plan for them until now. Thanks!

Setup some lights, maybe some music on a timer. Oh and don't forget to string up some beer cans on the fence so that anytime the wind blows those deer hear redneck joy.....lol
Posted By: therancher

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 07:04 AM

It may not be illegal to hunt that close to a fence, but people who do, just plain suck. Short of high fencing (which is the best option), I'd put a siren on a motion sensor aimed at that feeder. Fckm and feedem fish heads.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 01:22 PM

Quote:
I'd put a siren on a motion sensor aimed at that feeder. Fckm and feedem fish heads.

I do believe that would fall under § 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen, and would be illegal.
Posted By: Western

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 01:35 PM

Try talking to them? They may be clueless, but at least you will have an idea of what you're dealing with. Just the fact that a bullet could "pass through" is enough, not considering everything else that is wrong with it. That or having my LO ask, would be my 1st effort.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 04:38 PM

cheers up
Posted By: chalet

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 04:41 PM

How about just talk to them. If they don't change their setup after that it is time to explore other options.......
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 04:54 PM

Are there bullet holes in the corn bag? If so I'd get the game warden involved, it's illegal to knowingly shoot across property lines I believe.
Posted By: JRR

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - 12/26/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Are there bullet holes in the corn bag? If so I'd get the game warden involved, it's illegal to knowingly shoot across property lines I believe.

what if they shoot across unknowingly......I don't miss so doesn't apply to me.

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - Update - 12/28/14 06:30 AM

Thanks to the THF the very nice guy next door sent me a PM and we talked for over an hour. The feeder will be relocated so as to not cause any issues. There never was a violation of any laws. We'll grab a beer if we are ever at our camps at the same time.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Targets on Corn Bags - Update - 12/28/14 08:58 AM

Sounds like y'all worked it out!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum