Texas Hunting Forum

North Texas Rut (Childress)

Posted By: TexasAggie12

North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/11/14 03:01 PM

Have I missed the rut yet? I usually get to go around Thanksgiving and more often than not the bucks are in chase. I won't be able to go until the week before Christmas and I'm hoping I get to see a little action.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/11/14 06:31 PM

I have not noticed any heavy rutting at all up around the Paducah area this year as of yet...spooky...
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/11/14 08:28 PM

The rut has been off this year. The week prior to Thanksgiving when they had the snow for about 3 days after, there was lots of pre rut, seeking, chasing, etc... and then poof, real tough hunting. I know of three bucks 175"+ coming from Cottle/Foard during those 3 days, and I can attest its been slow since. There should be a secondary, fairly decent rut around the time MD start up which should be right around now; however, with warmer temps, lots of food, water, etc... I suspect it will remain slow. I was expecting a lot this year with the rain and all, but have been pretty disappointed thus far.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/12/14 06:29 PM

I was north of Childress in Harmon county OK, only saw 1 pair chasing and my son took both. smile

Charlie
Posted By: TexasAggie12

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/16/14 08:36 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be up there next week and I'm hoping to see some of my old friends.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/17/14 04:45 PM

Not close to Childress but our ruts coincide. Erath is done, so is Somervell. I've seen bucks bachelored up. It started out promising then seems to have fizzled out.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/17/14 05:14 PM

glad I wasn't the only one. around Hagerman there was decent chasing, fighting, and beat up broken bucks. southern Oklahoma saw nothing! I still had mature does with yearlings just 2 weeks ago. haven't seen any rut activity at all and I've been hunting every week.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/17/14 10:39 PM

I was hunting in Lakeview in Hall county over the past weekend. On Friday, I took a nice 8pt that was chasing a doe. He had his head down and was bull dozing the ground chasing after the doe. He was blind to everything around him to the point that when I shot him he never let up chasing her. He went another 20-30yards then crumbled to the ground. This was the first sign that I have seen of any bucks chasing this year in Hall county. I tried to upload a pic, but for some reason it won't let me.
Posted By: kry226

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/17/14 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasrebel649
I tried to upload a pic, but for some reason it won't let me.

Keep working on it. Have a Photobucket account?
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/18/14 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Texasrebel649
I was hunting in Lakeview in Hall county over the past weekend. On Friday, I took a nice 8pt that was chasing a doe. He had his head down and was bull dozing the ground chasing after the doe. He was blind to everything around him to the point that when I shot him he never let up chasing her. He went another 20-30yards then crumbled to the ground. This was the first sign that I have seen of any bucks chasing this year in Hall county. I tried to upload a pic, but for some reason it won't let me.

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/18/14 12:01 PM

Nice buck! cheers
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/18/14 07:16 PM

Nice buck and as a follow up, I was out last weekend and the MD where rutting. I had some WT bucks back together and I also had some with heads down scent checking the ground as if they were following a doe. WT bucks will breed MD does, so that could have been the case there. Also, I still have a few WT does with fawns, so I suspect rutting activity will continue somewhat through the rest of the month and into early January. I shall try again this weekend.
Posted By: n-all

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/19/14 01:21 AM

secondary rut should be around the 25-28th Dec in Childress/Hardeman Cnty..Im in Hardeman..bucks are all together..

Re: North Texas Rut (Childress) - 12/21/14 01:10 AM

I was just going through some TC pics from years past and I always see big deer show up in December. Hope you guys who are able are still out there hunting. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum