Texas Hunting Forum

South Live Oak County

Posted By: Ricochet83

South Live Oak County - 12/08/14 09:14 PM

Due to wedding and daughters first birthday i am missing this past weekend at the lease which is a little south of George West in Live Oak County and my daughters first birthday is this weekend so i will miss that to. Typically from what i understand Rut starts in that area around the 15 or so of December. Is anyone in that are already seeing any rut signs as i do not want to miss the rut. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/08/14 10:39 PM

I was invited to hunt on a friend's lease just south of Carrizo Springs last weekend and we started seeing signs of rut - mostly among the younger bucks, but also with the lack of the older and bigger bucks making appearances like they have for the last few months on cameras.

They were talking that next week should be the height of the rut - between the short daylight and the moon phase, it's the best time for it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/08/14 10:51 PM

We hunt a ways south of you still, but no signs of the "rut" The bucks are acting different for sure but no chasing has really be seen by us. Did get to watch a good fight a week or so ago.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/09/14 03:08 AM

2nd into 3rd week of Dec. is generally starting peak of rut in South Texas. Week before X-Mas usually being best has been my experience with X-Mas through New Years being pretty good too.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/09/14 03:10 AM

Live Oak more on the northern end of South Texas may be a little earlier though. I would think 2nd week of Dec. would be pretty good for it to start going.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/09/14 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
2nd into 3rd week of Dec. is generally starting peak of rut in South Texas. Week before X-Mas usually being best has been my experience with X-Mas through New Years being pretty good too.

Yep. We are very close to where he is talking about and peak rut is 15-25th. South live oak is basically the same as the rest of the brush country.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: South Live Oak County - 12/09/14 02:41 PM

great. Thats exactly what i was looking to hear.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum