Texas Hunting Forum

Found Buck need opinions

Posted By: 10 point

Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:39 AM

Buck was shot late in the evening around 5pm on the 10th. Deer was walking in and out of clearing took the shot head on bullet hit left shoulder bullet exited same side third to last rib. No blood for trailing found buck next morning around 8am.Bullet tore up shoulder and hit guts. Went ahead and gutted buck but just don't know if meat is good has some strong smell to it temp was around 69 and falling through out the night. Deer was washed out real good. Just a lot of hours passed. Deer totally bled out on inside. No experience with this problem first deer never found after the shot. Deer is on ice at this time.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:51 AM

Personally, I wouldn't unless temps were at least 30 degrees cooler.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:54 AM

Nope
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:58 AM

I have kept them when it was low 40's or lower overnight. Was the buck still warm when you found him? Was the side laying with ground contact still warm? IMO the meat will have that gutshot smell. Just about every deer I recovered the next morning has an odor after you gut them. It goes away when in a walkin cooler when I let them hang for a few days. I would see what it looks like and how it smells being on ice for a few days. Just pull the plug and drain everyday then add new ice. Was the meat slimy feeling when you finished skinning the buck and put it on ice?
Posted By: Western

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:08 AM

ANY greenish spots? Think I would have to pass with the variables, high temps, strong smell, gut shot. Not worth it to me based on what you describe. May take it to a processor and get his professional opinion, he should have seen it all by now. Your only gambling with your health scared
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:27 AM

Too warm for me, sadly I'd discard him, it happens.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:33 AM

Where are you located?
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:40 AM

Tainted, to warm and blood and guts marinating the meat for several hours.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:48 AM

Cut a piece out of a hindquarter and see if the smell is bad. if so discard....I kept one like this but it was much colder overnight.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 04:07 AM

Old processor I used for years would cut a slice or three off and toss in a hot skillet. Doesn't take long to smell it if the meat is bad.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 04:28 AM

Thanks for the feed back! If my wife got sick from this my hunting days would be over just finally got her to eat venison after twenty four years married. And I feel it went bad. Killed to many deer and this one smells bad, was a mess in that cavity.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 04:45 AM

My aunt gut shot a deer once, died on scene but every time we ate a piece of it, it smelled like gut

Only tried backstrap and tenders though
Posted By: burkie38

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 05:09 AM

I don't think I would chance it

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 10 point

Thanks for the feed back! If my wife got sick from this my hunting days would be over just finally got her to eat venison after twenty four years married. And I feel it went bad. Killed to many deer and this one smells bad, was a mess in that cavity.

Sounds like you already know and just confirming your "gut" feeling up (sorry for the pun)

Sure not worth your family's health being compromised and I understand the 24 year thing with your wife, same her my friend.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 01:57 PM

Unfortunately I think I would have to pass. frown
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:29 PM

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-venison-spoils
Here's a good article that may help.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:32 PM

This deer should be fine. I suspect the smell is from the gut shot.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:42 PM

No way I would consider eating that deer.

I wouldn't eat a deer that hung in 70 degrees overnight that was cleanly killed and gutted promptly. That deer is spoiled!!!
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:44 PM

Yep no way I would either!
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 02:47 PM

Meat doesnt spoil has quick as you think it does heck back in the ole days they would have cleaned it and not even questioned it , if you take it and clean it good and get all the guts off put some good clod water on it not warm and let it hang for a couple of days i say it will be ok and yes i would eat it .
Remember there is no preservatives like in store bought meat that makes it go bad faster.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:34 PM

Hang on a sec... preservatives make it spoil faster?

In the old days people ate stuff because they didn't have a choice. If you cook spoiled meat enough to kill the bacteria then it wont make you sick but I don't want to eat it. My grandpa told me of eating boiled raccoon as a kid... back in the old days. Sometimes im glad its not the old days.

Guts left in, gut shot, over night, in texas, temp in the 60-70 range = spoiled.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:43 PM

That's a negative ghost rider.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

In the old days people ate stuff because they didn't have a choice. If you cook spoiled meat enough to kill the bacteria then it wont make you sick but I don't want to eat it. My grandpa told me of eating boiled raccoon as a kid... back in the old days. Sometimes im glad its not the old days.

Guts left in, gut shot, over night, in texas, temp in the 60-70 range = spoiled.

I agree with just about everyone here that you shouldn't risk it. HOWEVER the one thing I think a lot of people don't think about in these situations and STXRanchman was on to it is WHEN the deer died. IF he died shortly after the shot and you can tell by body temps absolutely not especially with the gut shot. BUT he may have been alive well into the morning and only expired shortly before eyou got there and the meat was kept alive just tainted by the gut shot smell.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 03:45 PM

It's not spoiled. It's tenderized. hammer
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 05:33 PM

Depends on when the deer died, not when he was shot.

If you do end up not wanting to eat it, don't trash it, that a LOT of dog food. If you will not use it, give it to someone elsse who will utilize it. IF you were close to me, Id love to have it to feed to my dogs.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I am saying the stuff you buy in the store has more crap in it that makes it go bad quicker than just untouched meat , trust me you would be really surprised how many people let their deer hang for a day or two in 65-70 degree weather and it is still good but with out the guts in it is a different story that what the OP was asking i know.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 05:50 PM

Ill let one hang no problem, but low 50's is my max temp.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/13/14 06:28 PM

I don't think its worth the risk of getting someone sick. If you have to ask, then that tells me you already know your answer.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/14/14 02:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice meat is in the freezer couldn't just throw it out until I was sure. If the deer had left any kind of blood trail I would have been on him. First one I've lost like this in over fifty years of hunting!
Posted By: cowboyway

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/14/14 04:35 AM

I wouldn't chance it. Do the right thing and give it to Hunters for the Hungry.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/14/14 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: cowboyway
I wouldn't chance it. Do the right thing and give it to Hunters for the Hungry.

If I wouldn't eat it, I sure wouldn't give it to someone else to eat confused2
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/14/14 04:30 PM

I think this was stated before but as long as you cook it properly it won't make you or your family sick. But it may taste like chit! I say clean it and cook some up to see how it smells and tastes. If it smells or tastes nasty then don't eat the rest. But again, as long as you cook it to an internal temp that will kill the bacteria then it won't hurt you.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/14/14 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Old processor I used for years would cut a slice or three off and toss in a hot skillet. Doesn't take long to smell it if the meat is bad.

this is actually a really good answer for future reference...
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/15/14 03:02 PM

Let your nose tell you....if it smells bad I would not eat the meat.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/15/14 04:43 PM

I have been contemplating processing my own deer, and I think the variation in answers in the thread have made up my mind. I wouldn't risk it with this deer, but you may....and now your deer is being processed right along side mine (and likely mixed together). sick

Maybe I am too cautious confused2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/15/14 04:44 PM

meh
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/15/14 07:37 PM

Woked for a butcher for couple years and helped out skinning at his deer processor station. He tought me 55*F is the majical threshold for a gutted and well ventalated deer to be kept outside. Thats in the shade and only a few days that. Proven it since. Like they all said the meat will havwe that putrid smell. Does it have a greenish irridecent sheen? Lowering the temp of the meat will cause some of the odor to go away but not necessarily garantee good. Also checking for slime is going to be hard due to the very outter muscle tissue that naturally makes contact with the skin has a lineing of slimy goo that is enhanced when soaked in water. Best advice if your in question follow your "gut"
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/15/14 11:30 PM

That's why I use a food taster. That and a lot of people don't like me!
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/16/14 12:44 AM

We all have the ability to test for bad meat. It's called our nose. Contrary to popular belief, one bite of spoiled meat will not hurt you. If it smells bad and/or tastes bad, spit it out and throw it away.

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/16/14 01:50 AM

Texican I process my own meat don't trust it to a processor!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/17/14 09:41 PM

Take it to a processor that mass processes and I guarantee you you won't have to worry about it.
Posted By: DCtheRev

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/18/14 04:02 PM

Sorry pard, no one likes to throw out a kill but I wouldn't risk it.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/18/14 04:24 PM

I would chunk it after lying overnight at those warm temps. What I don't understand is how the bullet went in the shoulder and exited the ribcage, yet hit the guts?
Posted By: JB10

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/19/14 01:11 AM

Chunk it
Posted By: yeahbuddy

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/21/14 10:59 PM

If you were gonna starve to death without that meat I'd say test it and maybe chance it but since, I presume, that you are not going to starve to death without this deer Id agree with almost everyone else on here that you should just let that one go. Good news though, plenty of time to kill another.
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/22/14 01:46 AM

I would have to pass on this one.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/22/14 09:01 AM

I'd Throw away...no way I'd eat that unless we had no other option. Would you buy a roast at store and set outside for 14+ hrs in that temp outside? Heck no I'd hope not. Not worth family's health ...
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/22/14 12:42 PM

I'd side with those who are saying to pass this up.
Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Found Buck need opinions - 11/22/14 05:01 PM

Just go pop a doe and take her for the meat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum