Texas Hunting Forum

Winch/pulley system for RTV?

Posted By: tlk

Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 11:08 AM

Does anyone have or come up with a way to load your deer into the back bed of your Polaris/mule etc.? My bed of my Kubota lifts so I was trying to figure out a simple way to winch a deer from the ground up into the bed - any ideas or pictures? Even a hand crank winch would be fine
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 12:02 PM

Back in 2004, we had a custom made custom winch/lift for a Ranger. Here is the jest of how it was made. They made it like the winch/lift that would fit in the receiver hitch on a truck, but only it was a bit different. They took and welded a frame/base to it so that it would sit under the bed on the Ranger and in between the frame of the Ranger. The took the bed bolts loose and inserted it and then bolt it the bed and it back to the frame. This insert had a receiver hitch on it so you could put the winch in it. The winch was also made to pivot or turn so that when you cranked up an animal you could swing the lift around from side to side. This winch/lift was only about 6" taller than roof on a Ranger. I would crank a deer off the ground then swing head or legs up in the bed of the Ranger, then crank it back down into the bed. The Polaris Dealer on the east side of Uvalde made the winch/lift for us. Sorry I don't have any pics.
There have been a couple of old threads on here in the past few years on this also. Might try to search for them.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 12:17 PM

Since you have a tilt bed you could bolt a boat winch to the front of the bed. I would've said come-a-long but when you run out of pull with it you still have some deer on the ground.

Back the bed up to the deer, tilt it, hook the boat winch to the head, and crank it in.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Back in 2004, we had a custom made custom winch/lift for a Ranger. Here is the jest of how it was made. They made it like the winch/lift that would fit in the receiver hitch on a truck, but only it was a bit different. They took and welded a frame/base to it so that it would sit under the bed on the Ranger and in between the frame of the Ranger. The took the bed bolts loose and inserted it and then bolt it the bed and it back to the frame. This insert had a receiver hitch on it so you could put the winch in it. The winch was also made to pivot or turn so that when you cranked up an animal you could swing the lift around from side to side. This winch/lift was only about 6" taller than roof on a Ranger. I would crank a deer off the ground then swing head or legs up in the bed of the Ranger, then crank it back down into the bed. The Polaris Dealer on the east side of Uvalde made the winch/lift for us. Sorry I don't have any pics.
There have been a couple of old threads on here in the past few years on this also. Might try to search for them.

There used to be a guy that had the exact setup I would see at the Shell station in Rock Springs and always wanted to ask him where he got it at or made
Posted By: Keystone crew

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 05:03 PM

I use the game hanging syestem that goes in the receiver hitch. Just take out that one pin so once deer is in the air it will spin.
Posted By: treeman

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 05:11 PM

sportmans guide has them for $89.00. I have one and it works perfect for lifting game onto my UTV. fits in the receiver hitch
Posted By: tlk

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Keystone crew
I use the game hanging syestem that goes in the receiver hitch. Just take out that one pin so once deer is in the air it will spin.

yeah I have seen those but I just dont want to have to haul it around in my bed when not in use - the idea of a boat winch makes sense though - I may check that out
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 08:57 PM

Not identical, but I have a 2" ball welded to the center of the headache rack of one of my farm trucks. Bought a winch that has a "slip mount" to attach to the ball. (just a "keyhole" cut into a steel plate that slips over the ball). I've used it to load all sorts of heavy stuff in the truck as well as on trailers hooked to it. I only used a 2" ball because I already had one handy with a busted off shank. For loading a deer you could get by with one of those tiny little balls used on "Draw-Tite" hitch leveling systems, I think they're 1-1/8", maybe?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: Keystone crew

yeah I have seen those but I just dont want to have to haul it around in my bed when not in use - the idea of a boat winch makes sense though - I may check that out

I have also seen a fold up Game Rack that is mounted either in the front receiver or rear one if you have a road feeder. I had one I bought at Cabelas for around $125-150 that I put on the front of my Jeep for this reason. Left it up to serve as a brush guard to keep debris out of the radiator also.
Here is what we did for our Mules on one ranch I was on. This game carrier was made out of aluminum and could be left in the inserts on the roadfeeder or mounted on top of the Mule roof. It was lightweight. Went on quickly and put back on the roof quickly.

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Winch/pulley system for RTV? - 09/23/14 10:58 PM

I just went to one of these Chingly's STX, easy like Sunday Mng...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum