Texas Hunting Forum

Cottonseed for deer?

Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 12:11 PM

Anybody feed cottonseed and if so how much does it cost? Thinking about putting some out and seeing what it does.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 12:52 PM

we have for 3-4 years now - we buy in bulk - not sure if it can be bought in sacks - it is labor intensive

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 12:58 PM

Labor intensive? How so
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Monster_Raxx
Labor intensive? How so

Do you like operating a shovel?

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 01:17 PM

I do it everyday

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 01:49 PM

I do it everyday

In that case I think your qualified to feed cottonseed.

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 03:29 PM

Ok. So what's the price of it and does the cottonseed make any real difference in hunting
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 06:12 PM

http://www.cottonseed.com/publications/t...TLER_GROWTH.pdf
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 06:25 PM

Ok. So what's the price of it and does the cottonseed make any real difference in hunting

Find the closest cotton gin and ask them. I have found that the price varies according to who is behind the counter when you ask for it.

Get some welded wire horse fence, make barrels out of it, about the same diameter as 55 gallon barrels, stake it GOOD, cattle will turn them over. The gin will dump it in your trailer or pickup bed. Lay a big tap down first so you can flip it back over the load. If you don't some of it will fly out on the highway. Make sure you have a good grain shovel, it makes it easier to shovel it into the top of your wire barrels.

Is it worth it? You have to make that decision, for me it was great, I got the cotton seed for free, and I had good help to unload it while I sat in the pickup. If you are shoveling and paying, then it costs money and the work sucks.
Posted By: Western

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 06:40 PM

Thanks kmon1 !! Good read for consideration. I have seen several photos here and elsewhere with incredible bucks and CSM in the background of the photos? It may be that the consumption levels by WT are just enough to maybe help, without a detrimental effect??
Posted By: Western

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Find the closest cotton gin and ask them. I have found that the price varies according to who is behind the counter when you ask for it.

Get some welded wire horse fence, make barrels out of it, about the same diameter as 55 gallon barrels, stake it GOOD, cattle will turn them over. The gin will dump it in your trailer or pickup bed. Lay a big tap down first so you can flip it back over the load. If you don't some of it will fly out on the highway. Make sure you have a good grain shovel, it makes it easier to shovel it into the top of your wire barrels.

Is it worth it? You have to make that decision, for me it was great, I got the cotton seed for free, and I had good help to unload it while I sat in the pickup. If you are shoveling and paying, then it costs money and the work sucks.

Thanks DC up I have been kicking the idea around as well, so have watched this thread for info. Thanks for "spelling out" the process, I thought it came in bales? Only place I have seen it used, was for cattle on a lease I had in W Texas though.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 06:52 PM

Here is a pic I found on another thread.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1207814/all/Protein_feeding

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 07:50 PM

Thanks for all the info
Posted By: tlk

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 08:01 PM

Seems to work for our ranch - we feed protein too but I think the addition of cottonseed has helped our herd overall

The other advantage of cottonseed is that it does not have to be fed inside a penned area - it allows fawns access whereas protein feeders that are in pens tend to keep the fawns out

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 08:49 PM

Damn nice buck. We are gonna feed Antler Max also

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 09:21 PM

Damn nice buck. We are gonna feed Antler Max also

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/20/14 10:39 PM

Last year the gin wanted $270 per ton. You can improve this price considerably at closing time with a few cases of beer.
Posted By: rockinrdranch

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/21/14 02:28 PM

The deer didn't start eating it right away. So we mixed corn and cotton seed together. Once they learned how to eat it , we quit mixing in the corn.

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 09/22/14 04:37 PM

Ok. Sounds good
Posted By: spibiggie

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 10/01/14 03:10 AM

Mummes in Hondo sells it in 50lb bags.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cottonseed for deer? - 10/01/14 11:53 AM

I haven't yet but I just cut a deal and will start around the end of December.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum