Texas Hunting Forum

Game Warden Ride.

Posted By: KG68

Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:05 PM

Our local GW got a new ride and on the back tailgate it has STATE POLICE. Anybody seen this before. I'm kinda of a homebody and don't get around much and just wondered if this was new. I stopped and talked to him two weeks ago with a open container in plain site and he didn't mention it. peep
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:19 PM

There was a post on this a few weeks ago, I think it had something to do with the parks department??
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:26 PM

I think they just started putting that on there , the GW in mills county is pretty nice and i did the same thing one day when he pulled up to the gate i wasn't even thinking about it and hopped out of my truck with a beer in my hand
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
There was a post on this a few weeks ago, I think it had something to do with the parks department??

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5245852/1
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:37 PM

Game Wardens are LEO's after all, and they work for the state.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 05:57 PM

They are peace officers and if your driving or other actions they feel are a threat to the public they are trained and expected to take action to protect the public. That makes them state police.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 06:24 PM

I missed the thread in early August. The new trucks are a dark green and I looked inside Vance's and his has a gun rack located between the front bucket seats with an AR equipped with scope and mounted light and short barrel shotgun very close at hand. And yes Kenneth1977 we are lucky here in Mills county to have a GW like Vance Flowers.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 11:15 PM

Not that it matters in this discussion but why would it matter if you had a beer in your truck inside the gate?
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 11:18 PM

Well because I had two loaded guns in the seat and was fixing to pull out in the road
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 11:22 PM

Quote:
Well because I had two loaded guns in the seat and was fixing to pull out in the road

Don't recall any specific open container and gun laws. "Fixing to" isn't the same as "Already did." You can drink on your own property. You were fine.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/19/14 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

haha. got ya! up
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 12:52 AM

They put state police on the backs because they are sending them down to the border on rotations. The illegals crossing know the word police.
In truth they are the most powerful state police, they can search you without a warrant or probable cause and can search your house without a warrant.
They can stop you for speeding or drunk driving.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
They put state police on the backs because they are sending them down to the border on rotations. The illegals crossing know the word police.
In truth they are the most powerful state police, they can search you without a warrant or probable cause and can search your house without a warrant.

And here we go again....

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Stoney

And here we go again....

What does that mean?
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:31 AM

Good God..... Just because your buddy told you that 10 years ago it STILL doesn't make it true...

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bone

Good God..... Just because your buddy told you that 10 years ago it STILL doesn't make it true...

No offense but unless you know me and are jacking with me you don't know jack $h/t. No buddy told me anything 10 years ago.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:38 AM

No offense but unless you know me and are jacking with me you don't know jack $h/t. No buddy told me anything 10 years ago.

Then quit spewing your garbage about the mythical powers a GW has...

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 01:54 AM

Then quit spewing your garbage about the mythical powers a GW has...

Here you go read this. It is factual. Then quit spewing it yourself nothing mythical about it.
http://www.countryworldnews.com/news-archives/CTX/2005/ct1027rites.php
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:01 AM

I got a no seatbelt ticket in my younger days from a game warden in Grayson county.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:05 AM

popcorn
Posted By: bluesman

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:16 AM

[quote=huntwest]They put state police on the backs because they are sending them down to the border on rotations. The illegals crossing know the word police.

Here you go read this. It is factual. Then quit spewing it yourself nothing mythical about it.
http://www.countryworldnews.com/news-archives/CTX/2005/ct1027rites.php

I guess somewhere in my last 35 years of practicing law I missed when they changed the law and suddenly started allowing game wardens to "search you without a warrant or probable cause and can search your house without a warrant". Funny thing is the state doesn't allow any other leo to do that and I call absolute BS on your statement that they allow game wardens the indicated privileges. Any leo can pat you down to insure their safety, but that's not a search without a warrant or probable cause. I tell you what, the first game warden that searches me or my house without probable cause - I guarantee you he will very soon thereafter be looking for a new job. Quit believing all the garbage you read in some internet article - Oh, I forgot, everything you read on the internet is true, everybody knows that!! bs

Shoeclerks - they never quit trying to practicing law!!!! bang
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:54 AM

Probable cause for a GW is easy to establish. I personally appreciate the work they do and have developed good relationships with the wardens in the last 2 counties I hunt.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 04:14 AM

I don't have a problem with GW authority. If they do have reasonable suspicion I hope they nail their arse if they are breaking our laws.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 04:58 AM

My uncle, who is a retired DPS Trooper, will tell you Game Wardens absolutely have the jurisdiction to do all of those things. Been more than a few DPS Troopers that call Game Wardens for assistance.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: bluesman
Oh, I forgot, everything you read on the internet is true, everybody knows that!! bs

Irregardless of what might actually be true, lets not forget to be a smartarse in our response!
Posted By: target1911

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 12:00 PM

GWs are still bound by the CONSTITUTION. If ANYONE comes in my house without being welcomed first they have just made themselves a threat to me and mine AND have become a target.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 02:23 PM

Oh boy, another popcorn thread...... partyon555 popcorn

....I was tired of reading about .223's and AR's anyway! Wonder if we got time for another .308 vrs 30.06 before gun season starts... peep
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
My uncle, who is a retired DPS Trooper, will tell you Game Wardens absolutely have the jurisdiction to do all of those things. Been more than a few DPS Troopers that call Game Wardens for assistance.

GWs are still bound by the Constitution. Your uncle may be retired DPS but he is wrong or the truth got lost in translation. Game Wardens still need probable cause. Think about what you are saying for a minute or two. If it were true then why do LEOs even bother with a warrant. Hell they could just call ol Billy Bib GW and no warrant needed right. Why even bother with all of that unnecessary paper work?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER

GWs are still bound by the Constitution. Your uncle may be retired DPS but he is wrong or the truth got lost in translation. Game Wardens still need probable cause. Think about what you are saying for a minute or two. If it were true then why do LEOs even bother with a warrant. Hell they could just call ol Billy Bib GW and no warrant needed right. Why even bother with all of that unnecessary paper work?

That's exactly what troopers or anyone does when they need to go into a house... probable cause is nothing more than you having a set of antlers or game animal related part/meat/skull etc laying around your property... they can cut the lock to your gate and come see you just because they herd a gun shot...

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:17 PM

They are more than able to pull you over and write a speeding ticket or any traffic violation also. And they are State police... not bound by county, city, or anything but the state line.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:20 PM

They do need probable cause to search or enter, stop you etc... Maybe I missed it in the thread but I didn't see any post that said otherwise.

But I did just read where someone said they would have to ask them to come in before they entered, and that would only be true if there was no probable cause.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

....I was tired of reading about .223's and AR's anyway! Wonder if we got time for another .308 vrs 30.06 before gun season starts... peep

We are going to need more than that little box of popcorn.

Posted By: tigger

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:31 PM

A lot of poster on this thread sound like Matthew Eric Frien

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: BOONER

That's exactly what troopers or anyone does when they need to go into a house... probable cause is nothing more than you having a set of antlers or game animal related part/meat/skull etc laying around your property... they can cut the lock to your gate and come see you just because they herd a gun shot...

Yep but a GW can't just come in my house to look around without a reason. Just like any other LEO they are not above the law. It's always been a common MISCONCEPTION but with all of today's resources it's funny that there is a thread about the all mighty power of a GW. It's actually more sad than funny but there will always be people out there that will believe something that bubbas brothers cousins girlfriends next door neighbors math teachers #1 students mothers boyfriend told them than the actual truth.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 03:56 PM

Like I said its not hard to find a reason if you have hunting/fishing related stuff around your house. drivers license and serial numbers on weapons are unconstitutional if you want to get picky...

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 04:00 PM

Like I said its not hard to find a reason if you have hunting/fishing related stuff around your house. drivers license and serial numbers on weapons are unconstitutional if you want to get picky...

up

If you want to ALLOW your GW to act above the law by all means knock yourself out. I know my rights and I'm not ok with it. To each their own.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 04:10 PM

cheers

Rights are changed and stomped on every day... Ill trust my actions before some words on a paper... they would be wasting their time anyway
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
They do need probable cause to search or enter, stop you etc... Maybe I missed it in the thread but I didn't see any post that said otherwise.

But I did just read where someone said they would have to ask them to come in before they entered, and that would only be true if there was no probable cause.

Have you ever had a GW walk into your camp and ask to see your license or ask to see what is in your cooler? If you deny him this what do you think is going to happen?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt

Have you ever had a GW walk into your camp and ask to see your license or ask to see what is in your cooler? If you deny him this what do you think is going to happen?
Why would you deny this unless you have something to hide or are doing something illegal? GW stopped me a couple weeks ago on Ft Hood I was speeding he just wanted to ask where I was coming from and what I was doing. Then ask if he could check my truck for weapons. I said yes he did a quick one over of the cab and bed and sent me on my way. He wasn't looking for trouble just doing his job.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 06:10 PM

cheers

Rights are changed and stomped on every day... Ill trust my actions before some words on a paper... they would be wasting their time anyway

Indeed they are but it doesn't make it ok. Game wardens have always been nothing but courteous to me and I treat them with the respect they deserve but that's doesn't have anything to do with them having unlimited power. I don't break the law so not really worried about it but they still have rules that they need to abide by. Just saying its kinda comical on the power that some people think that a Warden has.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 06:13 PM

Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, §12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381), all your answers are here.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, §12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381), all your answers are here.

Thanks DC. up
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/20/14 11:58 PM

Don't confuse us with facts! If they wanted facts they'd have looked there first... loser8 stir

....besides that you're ruining a perfectly good sparring match. duel rock_on

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 12:30 AM

I wouldn't deny him.

Is this your example of him not having probable cause?

Because if he walks into my deer camp he has probable cause because I'm at my deer camp. Not the same as him just showing up at my door at my residence and asking for my license and to look inside my cooler.

Unless my residence was surrounded by game to hunt and there was visible evidence around my residence that I'd been hunting recently. confused2
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 12:55 AM

GW's are all 10 feet tall. They got the nose of bloodhound and x-ray vision. They can hear a gnat fart at 100 yards on a windy day. They can speak to the animals, who tell them what you've been doing. They're like the Men in Black, they're above the law. They don't need no stinkin' probable cause, search warrants or badges. These things are for mere mortals. So watch out, there's a GW coming to search your house and probably your body cavities too.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
GW's are all 10 feet tall. They got the nose of bloodhound and x-ray vision. They can hear a gnat fart at 100 yards on a windy day. They can speak to the animals, who tell them what you've been doing. They're like the Men in Black, they're above the law. They don't need no stinkin' probable cause, search warrants or badges. These things are for mere mortals. So watch out, there's a GW coming to search your house and probably your body cavities too.

They are also on the NSA payroll, double dipping at it's finest. up
Posted By: JRR

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 01:06 AM

I'm sorry but just because I'm shooting on my property in no way gives anybody, including GW, the right to cut my personal lock and trespass. Heck, by that logic he could just cut the fence and come on in just saying he/she heard shots. Now he is more than able to sit at my gate and wait for me, I don't need a license to target or skeet shoot anything more than that they either need my permission or a warrant. If it were true you wouldn't ever see a state trooper, they would all be called Game Wardens.
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 01:08 AM

rofl up

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 01:29 AM

roflmao
Posted By: bluesman

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: elkhunter7x6
Originally Posted By: bluesman
Oh, I forgot, everything you read on the internet is true, everybody knows that!! bs

Irregardless of what might actually be true, lets not forget to be a smartarse in our response!

ABSOLUTLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! banana2

I'm out - Way to many shoe-clerks practicing law on this thread for me!!!! bang bang bang bang
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 09:02 AM

You can legally have loaded guns in vehicle....so you weren't breaking the law even if you did pull out in road.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

We are going to need more than that little box of popcorn.

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 07:36 PM

Hide yo kids, hide yo wives, and hide yo husbands cause they searchin errybody up in here!

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/21/14 11:47 PM

I'll 2nd that
the GW in mills county is pretty nice

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 12:00 AM

And the probable cause is that it is hunting season and you are on land(if not the property owner) that is used for hunting

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 12:03 AM

Nope, that was the DPS Trooperet that worked SH 161 in Irving
there's a GW coming to search your house and probably your body cavities too.
Posted By: taco bender

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 03:08 PM

man. some people get buttsore real easy on here. it's commical.
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 04:16 PM

Game wardens have alot of power.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 04:44 PM

I heard the GW stopped Chuck Norris one time to check him and Chuck let him off with a warning. partyon555
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I heard the GW stopped Chuck Norris one time to check him and Chuck let him off with a warning. partyon555

rofl Good ole Chuck
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Our local GW got a new ride and on the back tailgate it has STATE POLICE. Anybody seen this before. I'm kinda of a homebody and don't get around much and just wondered if this was new. peep

How the hell did this thread go from this to a debate about GW power of authority? Fact is they are commissioned state police officers and have the same power as any LEO. No more/no less. They cannot come onto your property without probable cause. GW's as well as other LEA's are not an enemy. If you are not doing anything wrong to break the law then why worry? I invited my GW's to come out to my ranch not only to get to know them but to let them know exactly what I was doing on my place. My GW's didn't even know my place existed. They provided some valuable info as well. Best thing is they know exactly where I am at since my property does not have a physical or 911 address. In case of an emergency they know me and the property to assist. These guys/gals can help me out in a pinch with a call to them. GEEZ! Give it a break. The GW's are doing the job they were hired to do.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: grizz
Hide yo kids, hide yo wives, and hide yo husbands cause they searchin errybody up in here!

lol35
Posted By: N-Rut

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 07:35 PM

I can't believe what I am reading. It's common knowledge that EVERY Game Warden patrols with a deputized parrot. The parrot soars over your lease or land and returns to him with a very accurate report. The damn thing will get on the stand and give verbal testimony if needed. Now you know!!
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/22/14 09:12 PM

They are also on the NSA payroll, double dipping at it's finest. up [/quote]

LOl....... a couple of years ago we had a poacher on one of our deer leases. We had found odd ball cartridges for both handgun and rifles we didn't shoot. This lease is kinda remote and the great Game Warden there was trying to help. When I mentioned the calibers, he asked what calibers we did hunt with... I told him they were all common that I knew of, 270, 308, 30-06, etc. He asked that I get a list for him for the group. One guy refused, he didn't want his gun listed in a government data base. Funny thing is I know he only hunts with a 308, like 4 others on the lease.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/23/14 12:43 AM

You Mills county guys are lucky to have Flowers as a GW. I've known him professionally and personally for over 30 years. He's good people and a hard worker. If there's anything you can do to help him, do it.

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/23/14 12:45 AM

You Mills county guys are lucky to have Flowers as a GW. I've known him professionally and personally for over 30 years. He's good people and a hard worker. If there's anything you can do to help him, do it.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/23/14 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: retfuz

I suppose you believe that was worth repeating? grin

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/23/14 03:22 AM

Agreed, he usually sees us opening morning of dove and deer. Great guy along with the other one who's name escapes me

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/23/14 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher

I suppose you believe that was worth repeating? grin

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 09/24/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: N-Rut
I can't believe what I am reading. It's common knowledge that EVERY Game Warden patrols with a deputized parrot. The parrot soars over your lease or land and returns to him with a very accurate report. The damn thing will get on the stand and give verbal testimony if needed. Now you know!!
Good one, N-R clap ut
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 10/02/14 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I got a no seatbelt ticket in my younger days from a game warden in Grayson county.

I believe that and if it was who I remember he probably bragged about for weeks.
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: Game Warden Ride. - 10/02/14 03:07 AM

I have seen one a couple times recently driving through my neighborhood that said state police on the tailgate. I thought it was unusual
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum