Texas Hunting Forum

Game Camera Advice

Posted By: Ricochet83

Game Camera Advice - 09/12/14 08:06 PM

So i am not new to hunting but am on a new lease this year for the first one i was a part of i had been going to since i was 6 so i pretty well knew the deer down there. Since i am on a new place and havent had alot of time to really go through every square inch of the place just yet i bought some game cameras. So my question is this it is a low fence place in george west are and i know that the bucks dont really hit the feeders to hard right now. So when i check these cameras for the first time if i see alot of does then that is a positive sign correct since if you got does you will have bucks. Also i just put have them set up watching the feeders is there a better way to maybe be able to get some higher percentage buck activity on the cams as oppose to the feeders? Thanks in advance for any tips.
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Camera Advice - 09/12/14 08:15 PM

Where the does are, bucks will be. Could be at night though. During the rut your odds go way up since a buck looses all common sense nearly. Some older ones may stay nocturnal and are destined to a long life. IMO, at this point feeders are the best place for you right now, as you get the feel of the place and get a "hunch" where buck(s) are coming from, you may try to place a TC in an ambush site to confirm it. feeders are easy and likely where you will be sitting anyway..

You will get allot of opinions and they will all hold water.

Just my 2 cents

Re: Game Camera Advice - 09/12/14 08:23 PM

Thanks Dennis. I have found some choke points that have me intrigued due to the tracks i see going in and out of them 2 in paticular. So i went and picked up a few more TC yesterday and plan on putting them in the choke points to see what exactly is moving through there. Thats the stance i had about the does as well if you got them then you got bucks now to the quality that is TBD
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Camera Advice - 09/12/14 08:40 PM

Sounds like you doing just fine on your own up That "choke point" may show you a "pot of gold" LOL. If you find, or suspect your in a bucks core area, you may want to avoid it , let them have the bedroom and you stay near the kitchen.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Game Camera Advice - 09/12/14 09:31 PM

A lot will depend on the bedding cover on the lease. If the bucks are living on the lease then you should be able to move cameras around on trail/fence crossing or on water to get pictures. Water is a great place to get pics on any ranch in the heat. Depending on the direction your lease is from George West the rains or lack of rain could effect deer movement. Some areas got really good rains this summer and some missed the rain. I have had a new mature buck show up just this past week that was here the past 2 yrs. He showed up in hard antlers one night at two feeders. Had not been in any pics for 6 weeks.

Re: Game Camera Advice - 09/15/14 05:30 PM

Yeah that makes since also stx ranchman. you have already helped me out alot with questions i have had about this place with food plots. I am on the south side of George west and it was dry this summer however just this weekend alone down there the rain gauge pickued up a smidge less than an inch and from what i can tell there is supposed to be more on the way. Better late than never i guess. ALl the rain this weekend made it real easy to get out and pick up tracks and follow them a ways to learn where they are going to and trying to figure out why they are going there. Its been a blast i am not going to lie.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum