Texas Hunting Forum

Jim Shockey's "Uncharted"

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 12:28 AM

I generally despise hunting shows-but this one is impressive. Great cinematography, great presentation, great narrative, etc. It really gives you the experience of being in some of the most remote places on earth.

"Beyond The Hunt" with the Kreuters ain't bad either.
Posted By: dee

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 12:30 AM

Uncharted has quickly become my favorite show period.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 12:39 AM

You just saw the last one when Jim was looking up at the stars mentally connecting with his wife half way across the world...........

Yea...I saw ...it too..........bout cried......

it is definitely one of the best. Some shows on lately really suk
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 12:49 AM

I record it so I can skip commercials.

Wife loves the show.

Hope they come out on DVD, that would cover a bunch of Xmas presents shopping
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 01:21 AM

He'd never make it in a HF, dang loofer rofl i challange him on a hog hunt with muzzies halfcocked, that thar would be Uncharted flag
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 01:38 AM

Easily my favorite show, can't stand the deer shows. Tiffany is the only reason I watch

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 01:46 AM

It's a revamp of "The Professionals" I think. "The Professionals" had more of a "Hey, look at us and all we do, ain't we special?" kind of theme. Inward looking.

"Uncharted" is much more outward focused on the lands, the people, and the hunt. Therefore, it is much better IMO.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 01:52 AM

Great show
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:24 AM

It is a very good show. It just drives me nuts though to see them carve "uncharted " into a tree. My dad would have just called that vandalism. Other than that, it's not bad.
Posted By: Western

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:38 AM

Since renting the hunting shows on VHS in the 80's, through the increase of televised shows, Jim Shockey is about the only one I can watch. I think he is the real deal as far as his TV persona vs his actual personality. Like his family and their values as well.

What channel is this show on ??

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:39 AM

Outdoor Channel.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:43 AM

Thanks NP, I have about 5 outdoor type channels and haven't even looked in over a year blush

I spoke to them on the phone around 5 years ago, I was really wanting to go on a moose hunt, they are extremely nice people.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:50 AM

I usually enjoy oddball hunts.

pssttt... they've been moose hunting with Shockey on RR.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:50 AM

up

I hate to throw cold water on this Shockey lovefest I started, but when I hunted the Yukon in 2006 the outfitters and locals were about ready to hang him for using those Argos. Once an Argo goes across the Yukon tundra, the track is there forever. Float plane pilot said his concession looked like it had spiderwebs all over it.....

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 03:09 AM

NP, that is understandable if it causes that much damage, "hosses" would work i imagine, but a bigger PITA.

Same thing why increasing areas of the Rockies are restricting ATV's use as well.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 12:30 PM

Yeah, all the outfitters use pack strings-we rode in 23 miles from base camp to the hunting area.

I will say this-not only are the Argos destructive, but a hunter misses out on a huge part of the experience using them. The beauty of a remote place like that is the absolute peace and quiet you get to experience. An Argo destroys that. Plus you are hunting while on a horse and running game off using an Argo. In that environment, they really suck. I can see why there is such an uproar. IMO it is justified.

It's the "lazy" way out because Argos don't need tending to like horses.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 01:58 PM

He was hunting sheep in Pakistan the other day.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yeah, all the outfitters use pack strings-we rode in 23 miles from base camp to the hunting area.

I will say this-not only are the Argos destructive, but a hunter misses out on a huge part of the experience using them. The beauty of a remote place like that is the absolute peace and quiet you get to experience. An Argo destroys that. Plus you are hunting while on a horse and running game off using an Argo. In that environment, they really suck. I can see why there is such an uproar. IMO it is justified.

Argos don't spook with bears, Argo don't spook from lighting, Argo need min operation experience, Argo won't bite or kick you.

Safer, not everyone is horse ready. Lazy wouldn't be the term I would use.

Posted By: RickC.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:09 PM

Did you see the one with the flag-lowering ceremony in Pakistan? THAT was impressive. Better than a lot of NATGEO and Travel Channel stuff.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Since renting the hunting shows on VHS in the 80's, through the increase of televised shows, Jim Shockey is about the only one I can watch. I think he is the real deal as far as his TV persona vs his actual personality. Like his family and their values as well.

What channel is this show on ??

\
agree - the vast majority of the hunting shows are now a joke - half the guys have been charged with hunting violations. The rest are out shooting 2 year old deer.

Shockey's show is good - I also like Tom Miranda and a couple of others who have quality shows but overall it is really poor IMO
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:31 PM

best hunting show on tv.. period!!!... i loved the professionals as well... but this one is a step up!

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Argos don't spoke with bears, Argo don't spook from lighting, Argo need min operation experience, Argo won't bite or kick you.

OK. I do. If you've ever been there, you know that the constant whine of a combustion engine in that pristine, silent country is about like a turd in a punchbowl.

It ain't the the Colorado Rockies, Wyoming, or even Montana. Even British Columbia. Safer than horses? Maybe from a riding standpoint. But sometimes you have to do what the country asks of you to actually experience it. There is no hunt like a pack train hunt into remote country.

To deny your clients the experience of that for expedience's sake is to deny them the true experience of all the country has to offer IMO.

Again, before everyone goes off on rabbit trails-we are talking about one of the few truly unspoiled places in North America. You can't get that experience many places in the world nowadays. Tooling around in an Argo destroys it.

As for safety, again, maybe from a riding standpoint. But let your Argo break down 30 miles from camp and your Sat phone get wet. Or get separated/turned around. A horse will get you out and save your life. An Argo will rot on the tundra.

I'll add that an Argo can't go a tenth of the places a horse can-so your hunt is handicapped from the get-go from that standpoint alone. That alone is reason enough to not use them.

If you don't like "lazy", call it convenience. Convenience carries a high price in that country.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:41 PM

I like the show and I'm pretty sure every show is saying look at me or it wouldn't be a show and I'm not sure what the age of the animal has to do with show. Shockey goes places no one else will and does play the family card a little strong in my opinion, he chose this life and I'm sure he misses his wife but it ain't like you are a soldier there and can't go home. The real star of that show is Bralen his son, the editing and producing are far superior to any Tiffany in a tree stand booyah buck down shulaka bam acron rage crush show on TV.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 02:48 PM

Put it this way: one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life was riding a mountain horse on a 6' wide ledge with a 1000' drop off to get to some remote basin. To think that I would be relegated to tooling around the flat country in an Argo unable to see what was over the mountains on the other side is unfathomable to me in that setting.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 03:26 PM

NP, honestly when I watch JS, I never gave thought to the argo, but what you say makes perfect sense as far as getting the "whole experience". For that kind of $, that is what I'd want too. Hunting horseback, is incredibly fun.

"City Slickers" is a funny, sorta dumb movie on really experiencing something, after you accept the circumstances your in. Yeah I know, sissy reference LOL

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 04:43 PM

I'm a Fudd. I get float planes open up country and I wouldn't want to ride a horse 400 miles. But, once there, riding an Argo or taking a chopper to the top of the mountains to knock off the game and get back ASAP defeats the whole purpose IMO.

You will notice Shockey does few (if any) sheep hunts. Tooling around in an Argo may work for lowland moose and mountain caribou but sucks for wary and mountain-dwelling sheep.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 04:46 PM

Argos don't spoke with bears, Argo don't spook from lighting, Argo need min operation experience, Argo won't bite or kick you.

OK. I do. If you've ever been there, you know that the constant whine of a combustion engine in that pristine, silent country is about like a turd in a punchbowl.

It ain't the the Colorado Rockies, Wyoming, or even Montana. Even British Columbia. Safer than horses? Maybe from a riding standpoint. But sometimes you have to do what the country asks of you to actually experience it. There is no hunt like a pack train hunt into remote country.

To deny your clients the experience of that for expedience's sake is to deny them the true experience of all the country has to offer IMO.

Again, before everyone goes off on rabbit trails-we are talking about one of the few truly unspoiled places in North America. You can't get that experience many places in the world nowadays. Tooling around in an Argo destroys it.

As for safety, again, maybe from a riding standpoint. But let your Argo break down 30 miles from camp and your Sat phone get wet. Or get separated/turned around. A horse will get you out and save your life. An Argo will rot on the tundra.

I'll add that an Argo can't go a tenth of the places a horse can-so your hunt is handicapped from the get-go from that standpoint alone. That alone is reason enough to not use them.

If you don't like "lazy", call it convenience. Convenience carries a high price in that country.

Not just a riding stand point, my cousin got a ruptured spine for being kicked..and was helo'd off a mountain. Good friends son got killed in high country when horse reared up and killed him.
How many personal examples you want. You don't deprive a customer of an experience when they signed up for the trip knowing they use argo's.

I get the damage part. But same stand point look at the benefits clear cuts, etc. end up providing.

Understand that's not how you want to hunt, but not every on is still as mobile as you

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 04:51 PM

I'm a Fudd. I get float planes open up country and I wouldn't want to ride a horse 400 miles. But, once there, riding an Argo or taking a chopper to the top of the mountains to knock off the game and get back ASAP defeats the whole purpose IMO.

You will notice Shockey does few (if any) sheep hunts. Tooling around in an Argo may work for lowland moose and mountain caribou but sucks for wary and mountain-dwelling sheep.

Jim has taken the Super Slam, Ultimate Slam, Grand Slam of Sheep, World Slam of Sheep, World Slam of Goats, Triple Slam (goats and sheep) and Super 20 (goats of the world) and Jim has taken every one of the SCI Inner Circles at the Diamond level.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 04:59 PM

scoreboard
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:04 PM

Jim has taken the Super Slam, Ultimate Slam, Grand Slam of Sheep, World Slam of Sheep, World Slam of Goats, Triple Slam (goats and sheep) and Super 20 (goats of the world) and Jim has taken every one of the SCI Inner Circles at the Diamond level.

Yet I've never heard Jim "inform" his audience of any of these accomplishments. That's what makes his shows so nice to watch. Very genuine, humble and understanding of the blessing he has received. You wont hear any "me" "me" "I" "I" statements.
If I hear another Tom Miranda "I have the grand slam" and "the grand slam is the most difficult quest in hunting and I have it" speech, I may throw up.
Instant channel changer for me.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:05 PM

Deflection. Not what I am saying. Don't see many (if any) sheep hunts in his concession using Argos. It's moose and caribou for his clients. We are talking about his Yukon hunts using an Argo. Not his personal accomplishments, which are legion.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Littledog

Yet I've never heard Jim "inform" his audience of any of these accomplishments. That's what makes his shows so nice to watch. Very genuine, humble and understanding of the blessing he has received. You wont hear any "me" "me" "I" "I" statements.
If I hear another Tom Miranda "I have the grand slam" and "the grand slam is the most difficult quest in hunting and I have it" speech, I may throw up.
Instant channel changer for me.

I agree. "Uncharted" is certainly not like that.

"The Professionals" kind of tended in that direction with all the yakking about logistics, cameraman difficulty, etc. What they have figured out is that is all apparent from just showing the hunt and the harsh country itself. No real need to blather on about it.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:15 PM

Deflection. Not what I am saying. Don't see many (if any) in his concession using Argos. It's moose and caribou for his clients. We are talking about his Yukon hunts using an Argo.

His website shows about two sheep hunt pictures a year.. Probably about right,tag number wise

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:17 PM

Deflection. Not what I am saying. Don't see many (if any) in his concession using Argos. It's moose and caribou for his clients. We are talking about his Yukon hunts using an Argo.

His website shows about two sheep hunt pictures a year.. Probably about right,tag number wise

If they use Argos and his client is not disabled or otherwise infirm, they are missing out.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:32 PM

Why not just walk the whole thing?

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 05:53 PM

up good discussion. scratch makes me wanna grab me muzzy & go wondering about the woods. like pappy always say's: never was much for letting callaces build up on me arss. keeping up with the times, Equate takes the pain outa the Equation for whin that big one pops out tis gonna be a rough year. flag

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 06:01 PM

been thar done that. people laugh & make fun of ya flag

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 06:30 PM

You are obviously not getting where I am coming from.

You can't walk the whole thing and cover the ground you need to unless you are: 1) Cameron Hanes and 2)Have 2 months set aside for a hunt.

Argos can't climb mountains.

Horses are the way to go because they cover rough ground with maximum efficiency.

Some sheep areas you do have to backpack into-even a horse won't cut it. The Yukon concessions are by and large horse accessible-so smart, good hunters and outfitters have used them since the late-1800's. It's stupid not too. Even for the areas that require walking. Why would you walk 30 miles to a walking area when a horse can take you there?

An Argo couldn't have even made it to our spike camp that we rode horses out of-it was 23 miles up the mountains above timberline. We rode horses another 6-8 miles each day from spike camp, and then started walking. And we were hunting the whole way instead of running all the game out of the country.

Again, Argos suck and ruin the experience because they are a turd in a punchbowl up there. I guess you just have to be there to understand that.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 06:47 PM

I win.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 06:49 PM

Quote:
it was 23 miles up the mountains above timberline.

that's not a bad walk... it's only a full day of walking. grin

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Quote:

If you can't go 23 miles up in a day with 70lbs, shouldn't be hunting

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

OH paleaze....That would be 70% of folks. If I want to go "hike" I will go only as far as I need to. If I am hunting, I will still only go as far as I need too! LOL

I will let all you special forces fellas go on the long combat missions LOL

BOBO, I hope you where being as half hearted joking as I was...

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 07:26 PM

I was under the impression that the argo was only used to older folks and crossing wet/swampy areas. I believe he says that one a few shows where he had his dad along and another time when he had his dad and his dads old buddy.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:00 PM

I win.

If it's the stubborn award, yes.
Or maybe the argue for the sake of arguing award.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:03 PM

I was under the impression that the argo was only used to older folks and crossing wet/swampy areas. I believe he says that one a few shows where he had his dad along and another time when he had his dad and his dads old buddy.

Nope. They use it wherever they can-which covers a lot of flat country and rolling country that moose and caribou inhabit in the Yukon.But not the mountains or on the backside of mountains where they can't go.

He does use them extensively in southern Canada also-a lot of folks do. That's not what I am talking about.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:03 PM

Keep in mind he's not a spring chicken either, so the Argos are running regardless of client. There's a cpl guys on a show hunting Yukon moose with him that marathon train over 9k'....they rode in an Argo.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:07 PM

Quote:

OK, take 4-6 days (coming and going) out of your 2 week hunt needlessly killing yourself just getting to the sheep area. (It takes a day for the horses to do it.)
I'll ride my horse and pack in some gear in the process. Just like the mountain men did.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:10 PM

Quote:

OH paleaze....That would be 70% of folks. If I want to go "hike" I will go only as far as I need to. If I am hunting, I will still only go as far as I need too! LOL

I will let all you special forces fellas go on the long combat missions LOL

BOBO, I hope you where being as half hearted joking as I was...

More like 100% joking here. NP main points where his opinion of what the hunt should be... Opinion.
Kind of like traditional vs compound, guide vs unguided.. Etc

I don't care if you use an apache helo to get to the top of the mountain

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:13 PM

Keep in mind he's not a spring chicken either, so the Argos are running regardless of client. There's a cpl guys on a show hunting Yukon moose with him that marathon train over 9k'....they rode in an Argo.

It's strictly a convenience thing for him. He could obviously do it. But horses have to be ridden in from Ross River (or another village) and ridden out at the end of the season. Plus tended to by a wrangler 24/7. He just doesn't want to mess with all that. So he doesn't give his clients all they could otherwise get with horses.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:18 PM

A lot use the choppers. Fudds like me don't get it-or like it. But at least it doesn't slice up the country. So there's that.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:18 PM

I win.

I win smile

You're slipping.

Speaking of how's training going. I expect endless pictures and play by play.

Infact I challenge you to out do my hunt play by play this year smile

I'm hoping you take me up on the pack. I want to document it with Hopefully mulie, elk, pronghorn, whitetail and big horn pack outs in one year

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:19 PM

A lot use the choppers. Fudds like me don't get it-or like it. But at least it doesn't slice up the country. So there's that.

Now we are cooking with peanut oil smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:25 PM

I don't care if you use an apache helo to get to the top of the mountain

Embarrassed to say, but I have actually wished for one many times at dark 30 when back in the Colorado hills after a long day hunt blush But I understand what your saying.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:30 PM

I win.

I win smile

You're slipping.

I'm hoping you take me up on the pack. I want to document it with Hopefully mulie, elk, pronghorn, whitetail and big horn pack outs in one year

Sorry, I'm slow on the "leg pulling" uptake-always have been. If we share a camp one day you can have a lot of fun with that. smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:32 PM

Take the pack off the tailgate and it won't get pronghorn blood on it. rofl

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:34 PM

In any event, I still think JS and family are genuine as they come and his shows are informative and actually enjoyable to watch.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:40 PM

In any event, I still think JS and family are genuine as they come and his shows are informative and actually enjoyable to watch.

Me too. The Argo deal is just a little side issue I happened to know about, but in the main doesn't diminish all he has accomplished.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:42 PM

Lol!!!

Bow season is after rifle season, so bet I'm going to have to actually hike some. I'll have goldy with me so worst case I'll just blame everything on him
Posted By: passthru

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:44 PM

I would ride in Jim's Argo for any of his hunts. And let him pack out my critter in it too. And I would love the experience.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:44 PM

Hunting season is just around the corner. smile

I win.

I win smile

You're slipping.

Sorry, I'm slow on the "leg pulling" uptake-always have been. If we share a camp one day you can have a lot of fun with that. smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:46 PM

Lol!!!

Bow season is after rifle season, so bet I'm going to have to actually hike some. I'll have goldy with me so worst case I'll just blame everything on him

Always good to have a fail safe plan roflmao

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I would ride in Jim's Argo for any of his hunts. And let him pack out my critter in it too. And I would love the experience.

Amen brother up And if I got to meet those "purdy" girls he hangs around with, man what a bonus grin

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Amen brother up And if I got to meet those "purdy" girls he hangs around with, man what a bonus grin

Them girls would definitely be a distraction. They sell some boards in Whitehorse with rabbit fur around the knotholes. I know a guy that shot a buddy in week 3 of the hunt for messing with his board. Plus burned the board for cheating on him-double homicide.

smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/29/14 08:56 PM

rofl
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/30/14 02:49 AM

I also like Uncharted. Jim Shockey, Steven Rinella, and Randy Newberg are about the only hunting show hosts I can stomach watching.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/30/14 08:08 PM

Hey NP you got a outfitter referral after all this Argo discussion.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/30/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Hey NP you got a outfitter referral after all this Argo discussion.

My guy (Pete Koser) retired and sold his concession to Jarrett Dueling. Jarrett's nephew Ike was my guide with Koser. The Dueling family has been outfitting for 3 generations so I have no doubt they know their stuff. Jarrett packed in with a client the first year he bought it and they killed what I believe to be the biggest Fannin ram ever taken.

Tim Mervyn is highly regarded also. I have visited with him and he seems like a great guy. I would book with him in a heartbeat.

My guide Ike Dueling now guides for Arctic Red River Outfitting. I don't know much about them except that if you request Ike you will have a great guide.

All the Yukon outfitters offer multiple animals (sheep, moose, grizzly, mountain caribou, wolf, wolverine) on the same hunt. The guys focusing on sheep usually go in August and hunt the other animals simply as the opportunity presents itself and/or after they have taken their sheep.

I killed my sheep on the 2nd day and passed several nice moose waiting on one that would go 65" plus. Saw only one good mountain caribou that eluded us and just sow grizzlies. The moose, caribou, and grizzly hunting is much better in September so that's when most of the guys who focus on those animals go.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/30/14 09:32 PM

Great Information - Thanks BTW the email advise was followed and all is well.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/30/14 11:49 PM

up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:18 AM

When I go up to the Yukon, no way am I riding in an Argo, I agree with nog, your missing out on a huge experience.

It's gonna be horseback all the way

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:35 AM

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:36 AM

Argo ain't gonna get you here. smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:45 AM

Neither would a horse

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:48 AM

No, but he got me a helluva lot closer to that spot than an Argo could.

And, actually he could have gotten out there too. But I wouldn't try it. smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 12:59 AM

What's funny about that picture is we had been watching about 25 ewes and lambs feeding in front of that knob for about 2 hours. We were satisfied no rams were around. I told Ike I could stand up and walk towards them and have them trapped. He said "OK, go ahead." I stood up and began walking towards them. They watched me a minute, turned, went out to that knob, and bailed off the side of that mountain like it was nothing.

When I got out there and looked down, they were about 1500' below me looking up at me. Then, they resumed feeding. Ike was behind me laughing like crazy......

smile

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 01:11 AM

If you would of showed a picture of you horse back on that little cliff.. I'd called the white coats for you a brain scan smile
Posted By: BossHawg2012

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 03:03 PM

But the commercials are like the icing on the cake!
incredible show and an awesome and humble person.

I record it so I can skip commercials.

Wife loves the show.

Hope they come out on DVD, that would cover a bunch of Xmas presents shopping

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 08:14 PM

If you would of showed a picture of you horse back on that little cliff.. I'd called the white coats for you a brain scan smile

popcorn twas reading threw & found the eye of the tiger & tiger blood feud going on rofl sheen from Rambo, kinda rocky thar. flag
Posted By: team tejas

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 08:22 PM

I love the show it take some guts to go to Pakistan

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 08/31/14 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
He'd never make it in a HF, dang loofer rofl i challange him on a hog hunt with muzzies halfcocked, that thar would be Uncharted flag

confused2 hmmm not answering my calls, agh, can't say i blames him. some times i don't answer myself flag

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 12:06 AM

Shockey's on a Yukon sheep hunt himself right now. Float plane dropped him off and he is walking to get up above timberline. Discussing how there are no shortcuts. So I guess he doesn't use an Argo while sheep hunting.

Took him 2 days to reach timberline/spike camp-all on his back. Entire hunt on foot. He's a tough dude. No way I could physically do that hunt.

Well, they went away from that hunt and are now on a hunt with him guiding a client. They started out on a Argo but walked to the top.....

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 02:14 AM

He'll be hunting for real next week...in the Yukon...if his client will quit chasing a 40" deer around NV.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 02:20 AM

The show is spectacular. I would hunt with Jim anytime Argo or not!

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 03:03 AM

He'll be hunting for real next week...in the Yukon...if his client will quit chasing a 40" deer around NV.

Tell him ol' NP says he needs to subtitle his moose shows "The Argonauts". grin

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 03:08 AM

Would be an Argonauts meets a West Coast Choppers kind of show.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/01/14 03:19 AM

Would be an Argonauts meets a West Coast Choppers kind of show.

Well, them meeses ain't got a chance then. smile
Posted By: Gil Fisher

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/02/14 04:26 AM

I thought his commercial for next week was rather humorous - somebody needs to buy a globe.

Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/02/14 02:01 PM

I like the hunting aspect of the show, but the rest of the drama that comes along with it I could do without. The guy that hunts with him acts like a woman half the time, constantly reflecting on the intricacies of life, whining about missing his family and generally being so boring I turn the channel when it comes to watching him attempt to hunt. Jim is OK and a good hunter, I know a lot of folks don't like him, but as long as he keeps it to hunting, I am fine. Most hunting shows now are like male soap operas half the show with the other half advertising crap that generally is not worth what you pay for it. Hunt, kill, move on to the next show.

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/02/14 08:19 PM

One thing I do like about the show is products high lights are discrete and not in your face.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/02/14 08:30 PM

I actually liked the show for the most part... better than a lot of the crap you see on hunting channels these days.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/02/14 10:40 PM

I have noticed the show does a lot of family things with Cory now and personally I think its because of the death threats after he bought the rhino hunt. I think they are trying to show that he has a family, he has kids that love him, he is a person not just some guy on Facebook that's easy to threaten. Its easy to threaten a computer screen with death but I think for most folks its harder when they actually see that he is a real guy. I could be totally wrong but that's the way I tolerate all the drama they show, I tell myself they are trying to show him a different light not just some really rich guy that kills things.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/03/14 01:50 AM

cheers

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/03/14 01:56 AM

If Cory's Daddy is so rich that all he has to do is go on hunts for a living, he seems pretty down to earth all things considered. I've seen a lot worse-rich and poor....
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/04/14 06:24 PM

the musk ox hunt looked like NOOOO FUN
Posted By: Gil Fisher

Re: Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" - 09/06/14 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
the musk ox hunt looked like NOOOO FUN

I disagree - Ox hunting is awesome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum