Texas Hunting Forum

dumb youth license requirement question

Posted By: zachary00

dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 02:35 AM

I have a 6 year old I take hunting with me. He usually takes his bb gun, but has zero chance of hitting anything. Even if he did, i doubt it would break through the feathers or skin. do I have to buy him a youth license?
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 02:40 AM

I believe so.... It's only like $5
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 02:42 AM

I don't think so....but if you do and an opportunity comes up where he could take a animal. He will be legal.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 02:44 AM

To me it is more a numbers game, one more license sold to a hunter. We get one for our grandkids, just like they were going to hunt, even though they usually do nothing except sleep in and pester grandpa. It show there are 2 more hunters on the rolls. It's $7 and if the GW shows up, which he usually does they are proud to be able to show off their license. The smiles on the kid's faces and the GW is worth the $14 we pay.
Posted By: zachary00

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 02:48 AM

Thanks to all. Based on the arguments made, I am going to get him one. even if its not required.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 03:43 AM

Not required but really little pain at the 5 or 7 dollars. Think of it as worst case an extra couple bucks for wildlife work and at best he could legally tag an animal. Win-win!
Posted By: swmays

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/16/14 04:17 AM

A buddy and I got checked by GW. Our boys were shooting their BB guns. GW wasn't bothered by it. Not saying another GW wouldn't ticket you.

Our sons are licensed now...
Posted By: HR3

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/17/14 04:20 PM

yep, a kid a field with a gun needs a license...that's right from the mouth of GW....my boy who was 7 y.o. had his.410 afield....wasn't ticketed as I purchased one online right away...
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/18/14 11:06 AM

I've been buying my Grandson a license since he was 4 years old. We used to sit in a blind together. He had his BB gun and I had my 30-06. He got to take the first shot. If it wasn't a clean kill, I finished it off with my 30-06.

He's now 15 and I miss the days of us sitting together.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: dumb youth license requirement question - 08/19/14 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I've been buying my Grandson a license since he was 4 years old. We used to sit in a blind together. He had his BB gun and I had my 30-06. He got to take the first shot. If it wasn't a clean kill, I finished it off with my 30-06.

He's now 15 and I miss the days of us sitting together.

up Great story!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum