Texas Hunting Forum

Varmint Cage

Posted By: Reloder28

Varmint Cage - 08/09/14 07:46 PM

I have a Sweeney feeder. It is 22" square. I put a large cage on it but the little two bit clips they give you break in short order with a couple of 10+ lb coons hanging on it. I plan to reinforce the mounting parts. But, this got me to thinking just how far they can reach with their front legs. Any one have a clue? Since my feeder only has a spinner plate poking out the bottom, I'd like for the cage to not be too oversized.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/09/14 07:58 PM

This is not what you want but for us it works. We gave up on all cages and made our own using 1x2 welded wire fencing with the clips you can buy for making rabbit cages. We make them the same diameter as the barrel with a large door to change the timer batteries and time. We get all of the parts and clip supplies as the local farm and ranch supply house.

Besides the welded wire fencing you will need these items.

Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/09/14 08:21 PM

The coons just love the cage I put on one of my feeders. Seems to make it easier for them to hang up there and spin the plate. I watched a cow empty that feeder in about ten minutes one day and it has fixed that problem.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/09/14 08:39 PM

I know the coons use cages as Jungle Gyms. I figure if I can build one strong enough they could just hang on it to their hearts content.

DogCatcher,
Isn't that 1"x2" welded wire about $65 per panel?
Posted By: Western

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/09/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
I know the coons use cages as Jungle Gyms. I figure if I can build one strong enough they could just hang on it to their hearts content.

DogCatcher,

You should be able to get a whole roll for less than that. HD and Lowes have it in the garden section outside under the awning usually. TSC also carry's it.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/10/14 01:49 PM

I've got 5 feeder on lease with 55 gal barrel and Moultrie Pro-Hunter feeder with their Varmint Guard. That guard works fine except for feeder located in river bottom. That feeder uses about 2 times much corn as other 4. Building a larger guard from wire shelving which will prevent the coons from spinning the plate. Once I get that on the feeder those coons can swing on it to their hearts content.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/10/14 02:29 PM

Dog proof traps, problem solved
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/10/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28

DogCatcher,

I go to Jackson Brother Feed store in Abilene and tell them how much I want, they cut it to length. No idea on today's cost, it has been a few years since I have had to buy any.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/10/14 10:51 PM

I've heard good things about the eliminator spinner plate.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/11/14 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
I've heard good things about the eliminator spinner plate.

I've got 2. Paid for themselves already I'd think but then I haven't kept track of how many kernels hit the ground. Don't think coon have figured them out yet but give them time. Golden Ma.......nevermind.
Posted By: ChaseNTheHunt

Re: Varmint Cage - 08/11/14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
This is not what you want but for us it works. We gave up on all cages and made our own using 1x2 welded wire fencing with the clips you can buy for making rabbit cages. We make them the same diameter as the barrel with a large door to change the timer batteries and time. We get all of the parts and clip supplies as the local farm and ranch supply house.

Besides the welded wire fencing you will need these items.

Got a picture of the finished cage?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum