Texas Hunting Forum

Too Much Prickly Pear?

Posted By: Homer Jay

Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 05:08 AM

Can cactus be so thick and so abundant that it discourages the presence of desirable wildlife?

(I mean WT deer, turkey, bobcats, grey fox, etc.)
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 05:17 AM

It can be, but it's not likely that yours is that thick. I thought the same about mine. A member here, who had managed ranges for years, came and looked at it, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. And it is pretty thick.
Posted By: Western

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 06:27 AM

I agree with Sneaky. Hunted a place West of Sterling city. PP was real thick and tall, if it wasn't a PP there, there was mesquite with small trails to cut through. Quail thick as I have ever seen them, good deer that where fairly well managed and all the varmints that come with it.

The LO did clear many acres in places/pastures for his cattle, but most all the wildlife where in the PP thickets mixed with mesquite and native grasses, or draws full of same..
Posted By: don k

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 11:40 AM

Rats and rattlesnakes like it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 02:25 PM

great habitat for rattle snakes, plus it takes up space where grass might grow
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 05:56 PM

I like that it holds mice and snakes. I'm disappointed that after a year, I still haven't seen a rattler out there.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 06:21 PM

Any cacti is too much.
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 09:45 PM

I bet humans are more deterred by it than the wildlife! Lol
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/09/14 10:59 PM

Prescribed burn every 2–4 years as a means of control....works good on controlling it and cedar too. You will be amazed at how much grass you have after a couple of burns. Also helps reduce the risks of wildfire.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/10/14 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mfloski
I bet humans are more deterred by it than the wildlife! Lol

X2
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/10/14 03:19 PM

Deer like it...

http://www.tecomate.com/content/index.php/site/comments/what_do_south_texas_deer_eat/
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/10/14 03:31 PM

The prickly pear has long been a staple in deer diet. I was at a seminar 20 yrs ago where the guys from CKWRI talked about a study they did in the 80's on the Welder Cameron and Dobie. They found cactus to be 45% of the deer diet during the times of Jan-Feb and late summer(July-Sept) no matter what the range conditions were like. I watched 2 mature bucks eating pear in late October one year aftering having 9" of rain in Sept and October that year with a pretty we summer also. The pear in north Texas is not exactly the same as in South Texas. Deer moved from South Texas up to the North Texas/Hill Country areas will not eat that pear unless you burn it IME.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/10/14 04:17 PM

I've watched deer eat it plenty here in North Tejas. I read where deer can get up to 80% of their water needs from cacti. I'm thinking that was out of A & M.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/10/14 08:50 PM

Our rancher sprayed a product called "Tordon and Reclaim ". It is really good. Cleared up hundreds of acres in two seasons. Even found a couple ancient graves hidden by the cacti. They used helicopters to spray it.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/13/14 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
read where deer can get up to 80% of their water needs from cacti.

I never even thought about that, thanks.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/13/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Homer Jay
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
read where deer can get up to 80% of their water needs from cacti.

I never even thought about that, thanks.

They also get water from browse and forb plants.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Too Much Prickly Pear? - 08/13/14 02:25 PM

They eat it quite a bit around our place. When it was really dry a few years ago, we saw a doe that carried a broke off branch/couple patties with her. She would carry it to the feeder set it down eat and pick it back up when she left.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum