Texas Hunting Forum

I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun

Posted By: Sparky45

I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 01:29 PM

I have some concerns of course because I want to be ethical. My land is small open clearings with sparse cedars and steep canyons with thick oak and brush so I can have shots from 150 yards or as close as 50 yards.

I wouldn't consider a shot with a handgun at over 80 yards or so unless I was very confident

Some of the questions I have are, could a 357 Mag work or would I need to move to a 44 Mag? Is a 7 inch + barrel the standard for this type of shooting?
I am thinking of a Super Redhawk with a quality scope. My budget is around $1000 but I could go over a little if need be.
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 01:50 PM

I want to do the same thing. I will Bowhunt mostly, but I want to do the pistol thing. I'm looking at the S&W 460 XVR.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:02 PM

I went with a Encore pistol in .308 also have a .223 barrel that would work.

Bought the stock and .308 rifle barrel so now I have 3 guns in one.

Haven't got to shoot a deer with it yet but it worked great on a hog.

.357 has GOT to be as deadly as a bow.....
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:06 PM

JFYI - If you're really serious and want to shoot out a little further think about a Thompson Contender.....

I have a G2 with 14" 35rem, 16" .223, and 10" 44mag barrels.

I've popped deer at 125 with the 35rem and a few hogs at 100 with the .223!

Here's a list of barrels available for the thing...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/g2-contender#barrels

Many moons ago I hunted with a S&W Mod 29 .44 mag 8 3/8" bbl and a Colt Python .357 with a 6" bbl. They worked OK on the closer shots, but the Contender is awesome & versatile.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:12 PM

Id say go for it with the 357 and work on your min distance. Im sure you could bow hunt on your place and that means likely less than 50 yards shot opportunities.

I love trying new hunting methods. Have scoped rifles iron site rifles, pistols, bow, muzzleloader, and might have a crossbow some day. For me I always try to simplify it the first time. Shot my first deer with the muzzleloader at 30 yards. Shot my first bow kill at 15-20. Start easy build skill and confidence, then stretch it out if you want. I would start the pistol hunting like you would bow hunting 20-30 yards.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:17 PM

I like to hunt with mine from time to time. I use a 44 mag and an xp100 in 221 fireball.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:19 PM

One thing for sure. Just like bow hunting, standard pistol hunting will sure sharpen your skills with regard to "sneaking" up on critters! up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 02:43 PM

Been there and still hunt with handguns.

The 357Mag will work but I keep it inside 50 yards from a pistol and 125 yards with the carbine. Bullets for it my favorite is the 180gr Partition which is getting hard to find since Nosler discontinued it. 6 inch barrel works fine for inside 50 yards. 44 special and 45LC with heavy hard cast bullets also will work well inside 50 yards, especially with the bullets with large meplats.

357 Max, 41 and 44 mag are where very effective revolver hunting rounds start and are effective on whitetails to 100 yards or more, again I like a 6 inch or longer barrel. Thought about getting a 460 S@W but really see no need since the 357Max and 44Mag are accurate with enough energy to go past my effective range with revolvers

Semi auto some above are available in the Desert Eagle, the 10mm also has a following.

TC Contenders/Encores are another route as are others chambered in rifle rounds work very well and can be very accurate and deliver enough energy for shots much further than most of us should be shooting.

Inside 50 yards open sights and red dots I have used with good results but beyond that I want a scope. One thing on pistol scopes the field of view is small and eye relief is even more finicky than rifle scopes so plan on practicing target acquisition is a must. I like variables in the 2-6 range but some do wear fixed 2X scopes.

For carrying I like either a sling or shoulder holster. Sling carry for the Contenders for sure and it can be used for steadier off hand shooting.

Speaking of shooting, shoot often and practice shooting from field positions to learn your limitations and stay within them when hunting.

Just rambling from my experiences your mileage may vary.
Posted By: cmc

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 06:09 PM

Here's a tip. Don't stick a .44 out the narrow window of a box blind and squeeze the trigger. I heard when it kicks up and your arm hits the top of the window frame it'll feel like your arm is broke and you might drop your gun a scream like girl, I heard.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 07:25 PM

Go buy the gun that Charles Bronson used to shoot all those rapists and thugs with

I think it was a .455 webley
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 08:48 PM

up thinken bout using me New Orleans Ace on a hog hunt this year flag
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/04/14 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Here's a tip. Don't stick a .44 out the narrow window of a box blind and squeeze the trigger. I heard when it kicks up and your arm hits the top of the window frame it'll feel like your arm is broke and you might drop your gun a scream like girl, I heard.

You heard........ roflmao
Posted By: texdexters

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 12:50 AM

I hunt with a Smith model 65 357magnum four inch barrel , fixed sights old cop gun . I have killed a spike last year at 35 yards , the year before that an 8 pointer at 20 , and a bunch of hogs at various distance's . I use cheap federal 158 grain jacked soft points , and hunt out of a bow blind . It's all about shot placement.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 02:22 AM

I have been looking for a Colt "whitetailer" or "anaconda" for just this purpose.

They are cool guns IMHO

especially looking for one in camo - they only made it 2 years I think.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 02:59 AM

I've got a Ruger 454 that I use. Don't hunt a whole lot with it, but I've shot a few critters, and it sure does thump 'em. I'm thinking about sending it off for some custom work to fine tune the accuracy and looks. I'd like to mount an RMR on it.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
I have been looking for a Colt "whitetailer" or "anaconda" for just this purpose.

They are cool guns IMHO

whew.. get your checkbook out..

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: texdexters
I hunt with a Smith model 65 357magnum four inch barrel , fixed sights old cop gun . I have killed a spike last year at 35 yards , the year before that an 8 pointer at 20 , and a bunch of hogs at various distance's . I use cheap federal 158 grain jacked soft points , and hunt out of a bow blind . It's all about shot placement.

I have a very accurate Smith 686, 6 inch. I could find an aftermarket clamp style mount for it and use a decent red dot if I kept it around 40-50 yards I guess.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 02:56 PM

I'm also thinking about getting a S&W 627. Always wanted a .357, and I sure like that one.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 03:10 PM

I've killed a few hogs with a .40 and a 9mm

A 10mm will be suitable if you like semi autos
Posted By: RafterH

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 03:50 PM

I've been working for several months now with my 45 Colt revolvers. With Ruger ONLY loads in my NMBH I am getting 6" groups at 50 yards with the factory sights. One of my favorite stands is a 50 yard shot at max, most are around 40.

Also been working with my Uberti in 45 Colt. Very confident to 25 yards with it with several standard loads. Am getting 9" groups at 50 with this one.

The work has been fun and I am looking forward to hunting with either one this year. The Uberti us my carry any time I'm out gun while with the Ruger, I will likely leave the rifles at home (or maybe in camp).

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45

They are cool guns IMHO

whew.. get your checkbook out..

Yeah, they're are a collectible as well as a very functional gun - so that's why they're pricey. However, even with the 8" barrel they still look like a pistol and are very accurate with tight groups out to 40 yards. From what I've heard, they start to drift past that quickly and at 50 yards it's more like 6-8" groups.

They're are options that give better performance and longer range, but to me, they begin to look like hand-held mini-rifles than traditional pistols / but theres no denying the performance.

On the other hand, I've done pigs with my Glock 23, and watched a guy drop a doe at about 25 yards with a Glock similar to mine.

If/when I get my colt, it will be primarily a pig or doe gun.

Incidentally, one of the gutsiest things I ever saw was a dude taking an elephant with a .500 handgun at .....wait for it...... Only 7 yards!!!!! Frontal brain shot.
Posted By: RONNIET

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 06:13 PM

Try the LONE EAGLE in .308. its a single shot made by desert eagle
Posted By: RONNIET

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 06:15 PM

Lone eagle .308

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 09:09 PM

Incidentally, one of the gutsiest things I ever saw was a dude taking an elephant with a .500 handgun at .....wait for it...... Only 7 yards!!!!! Frontal brain shot.

Probably using his "grande cajones" for a rest!

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc

On the other hand if you're in a blind with a 14" TC in 35rem, it's a good idea to make sure the muzzle is ALL the way outside the window before touching it off......

Them little "stick in your ear" protectors on a string ain't worth a durn, better use a good pair of mouse ears.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Been there and still hunt with handguns.

The 357Mag will work but I keep it inside 50 yards from a pistol and 125 yards with the carbine. Bullets for it my favorite is the 180gr Partition which is getting hard to find since Nosler discontinued it. 6 inch barrel works fine for inside 50 yards. 44 special and 45LC with heavy hard cast bullets also will work well inside 50 yards, especially with the bullets with large meplats.

357 Max, 41 and 44 mag are where very effective revolver hunting rounds start and are effective on whitetails to 100 yards or more, again I like a 6 inch or longer barrel. Thought about getting a 460 S@W but really see no need since the 357Max and 44Mag are accurate with enough energy to go past my effective range with revolvers

Semi auto some above are available in the Desert Eagle, the 10mm also has a following.

TC Contenders/Encores are another route as are others chambered in rifle rounds work very well and can be very accurate and deliver enough energy for shots much further than most of us should be shooting.

Inside 50 yards open sights and red dots I have used with good results but beyond that I want a scope. One thing on pistol scopes the field of view is small and eye relief is even more finicky than rifle scopes so plan on practicing target acquisition is a must. I like variables in the 2-6 range but some do wear fixed 2X scopes.

For carrying I like either a sling or shoulder holster. Sling carry for the Contenders for sure and it can be used for steadier off hand shooting.

Speaking of shooting, shoot often and practice shooting from field positions to learn your limitations and stay within them when hunting.

Just rambling from my experiences your mileage may vary.

That's some dang good rambling. smile
I'll only add I love my scoped Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. It's good to a shade past 100 with some practice and more with more practice I'm sure.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/05/14 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

That's what I had for a while, a Contender in 7-30 waters. Sweet shooting gun, the guy I sold it to hunts with it and covers 125yds of his food plots well.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 07:42 AM

I have been an avid handgun hunter for over 30 years. I would not go smaller than a 44 mag. Here is a list of hunting handguns that I own and hunt with and I will give you my recommendation at the end:

S&W 29 44mag 8 3/8 barrel with open sights
S&W 629 44mag 6 barrel with open sights
S&W 629 44mag mountain gun 4 barrel with open sights
S&W 500mag 4 barrel with open sights
S&W 460XVR 8 3/8 barrel with variable scope
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2 barrel with fixed power scope
Ruger Redhawk 44mag 5 1/2 barrel with open sights
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 barrel with open sights
Freedom Arms Premier Grade 454 Casull 7 1/2 barrel with variable scope
Freedom Arms Premier Grade 454 Casull 6 barrel with open sights
TC Encore 30-06 15" barrel with variable scope

Of all my 44's I much prefer the S&W because of their superior trigger pull. The Rugers are good guns, just not as refined as a Smith. I had trigger jobs done on all the Rugers and it improved them quite a bit. The 4" guns are mainly carry guns for when I am elk hunting or big game hunting out west. I would not go shorter than a 6" barrel for strictly handgun hunting and a 7 1/2 or 8 3/8 is even better.

I have taken deer with all my 44's, and black bear and deer with the 454 and TC Encore. I much prefer hunting with a variable scope and a good solid rest or shooting stick. My 454's were my favorite all around hunting handguns until I got the 460XVR. The 460XVR is not only a good short range gun, but a good long range gun out to 150 or so yards without a problem. If I think I am going to have a shot longer than that, then I use my TC Encore 30-06 which is good out to 225 yards or so.

For a starter, I would pick any good 44 that you like with at least a 7 1/2 barrel, put a good variable scope on it and practice plenty of shooting with a shooting stick or solid rest. If you want to go to the best one right away, get the S&W 460XVR with 8 3/8 barrel with a good variable scope and you won't have to buy another hunting handgun for a long time!! Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 10:24 AM

Pretty sure I'm going to get a 460 XVR 14". That thing is ridiculous.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
I have been an avid handgun hunter for over 30 years. I would not go smaller than a 44 mag. Here is a list of hunting handguns that I own and hunt with and I will give you my recommendation at the end:

S&W 29 44mag 8 3/8 barrel with open sights
S&W 629 44mag 6 barrel with open sights
S&W 629 44mag mountain gun 4 barrel with open sights
S&W 500mag 4 barrel with open sights
S&W 460XVR 8 3/8 barrel with variable scope
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2 barrel with fixed power scope
Ruger Redhawk 44mag 5 1/2 barrel with open sights
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 barrel with open sights
Freedom Arms Premier Grade 454 Casull 7 1/2 barrel with variable scope
Freedom Arms Premier Grade 454 Casull 6 barrel with open sights
TC Encore 30-06 15" barrel with variable scope

Of all my 44's I much prefer the S&W because of their superior trigger pull. The Rugers are good guns, just not as refined as a Smith. I had trigger jobs done on all the Rugers and it improved them quite a bit. The 4" guns are mainly carry guns for when I am elk hunting or big game hunting out west. I would not go shorter than a 6" barrel for strictly handgun hunting and a 7 1/2 or 8 3/8 is even better.

I have taken deer with all my 44's, and black bear and deer with the 454 and TC Encore. I much prefer hunting with a variable scope and a good solid rest or shooting stick. My 454's were my favorite all around hunting handguns until I got the 460XVR. The 460XVR is not only a good short range gun, but a good long range gun out to 150 or so yards without a problem. If I think I am going to have a shot longer than that, then I use my TC Encore 30-06 which is good out to 225 yards or so.

For a starter, I would pick any good 44 that you like with at least a 7 1/2 barrel, put a good variable scope on it and practice plenty of shooting with a shooting stick or solid rest. If you want to go to the best one right away, get the S&W 460XVR with 8 3/8 barrel with a good variable scope and you won't have to buy another hunting handgun for a long time!! Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

I have read a few accounts of a hunting expedition by Maj Doug Wesson in 1935 to promote the new 357 Magnum cartridge.
some of the game he took were:

Antelope - 200 yards, 2 shots.

Elk - 130 yards, 1 shot.

Moose - 100 yards, 1 shot.

Grizzly Bear - 135 yards, 1 shot.

Antelope was first hit at 125 yards. It ran & stopped and was shot the second time at 200 yards, The second shot killed it!

Bull Elk was killed with one shot! (through the lungs).

Moose was hit in the chest near the base of the neck, It cut the second rib and passed through both lungs, shearing the 8th rib on the off side and stopped just under the hide. No follow-up shot was needed!

Animals were taken on a Fall hunt, near the West entrance of Yellowstone Park, in Wyoming.
The Grizzly was taken in Canada at a later date.

All game was taken using factory loads, of the day, which were a 158 grain bullet at 1515 fps. from a 8 3/4 inch (not 8-3/8 inch) barreled Smith & Wesson Large frame revolver, that produced 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.

this was documented in several magazines of the time and the article was reran in 2009 in American Handgunner Magazine. The only animals I am thinking of taking are whitetail and maybe a pig.
I'm very confident in the 357 to do the job, however I put my hands on a new Ruger Super Redhwawk 44 Mag yesterday and it has bitten me and I may be in love with it. So I can use a S&W 357 I already own and mount a scope on it or go with a new Redhawk. I was pleased to see that the Ruger's all come with the scope rings in the box

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 03:10 PM

The 357 has been killing large and dangerous game for many years. It's funny that some people think that somehow they can't hold up, even though the round is that much better.

Just one thing. Big bore revolvers are just about the most fun you can have with firearm, and bigger IS better. grin

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 05:13 PM

Yes, a 357 might do the job some of the time, but the majority of handgun hunting experts recommend at least a 41 mag, with a 44 mag being even better.

Some eskimos have killed grizzly bears with a 30-30 or even a 22, but that is definitely not recommended either.

We owe it to the animal to use enough gun to take care of the animal as quickly as possible. As much as I like the 44mag, the 460S&W is even a better all around hunting cartridge in my opinion.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 10:16 PM

Well, now, I hope you are all happy, you especially Lone Ranger.. it's all your fault
that's what I told my wife anyway.

banana
I hauled off and bought me a Super Redhawk 44 Mag today. It will be in on Monday
this pic is just a teaser to keep me thinking of it...

Although I still feel that the 357 Mag is quite capable of taking a whitetailed deer, I didn't want to mess up my newer 686 and put a scope mount on it. The only other 357s I had were a Vaquero and a GP100

I can't wait for it to get here. Looking for a variable scope now..

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 10:53 PM

Beautiful. You're going to love it.

I'm sure this will help the wait.

Posted By: M16

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 11:03 PM

Well, now, I hope you are all happy, you especially Lone Ranger.. it's all your fault
that's what I told my wife anyway.

banana
I hauled off and bought me a Redhawk 44 Mag today. It will be in on Monday
this pic is just a teaser to keep me thinking of it...

Although I still feel that the 357 Mag is quite capable of taking a whitetailed deer, I didn't want to mess up my newer 686 and put a scope mount on it. The only other 357s I had were a Vaquero and a GP100

I can't wait for it to get here. Looking for a variable scope now..

That's not a picture of a Redhawk. That is a super Redhawk.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/07/14 11:10 PM

yeah, in the heat of the moment will all of the excitement I failed to type in "Super"
I did in fact get a Super Redhawk

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/08/14 12:34 AM

You will definitely be happy that you went to a 44! A good variable scope is all you need. For the money, Nikon and Burris make good 2x7 variables. I have both and like them equally well. Good luck and happy handgun hunting!!
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/10/14 04:28 PM

Got my pistol in. S&W 460 XVR WITH 10.5" barrel. It's gonna be fun.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/10/14 04:53 PM

Looks like a blast. I want one!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/10/14 04:57 PM

Good choice and they are sure a blast to shoot, speaking of that make sure to wear good hearing protection.

One of the great things about that handgun is the ability to use different ammo from the very mild 45 Scofield, 45 LC, and 454 C to the 460 S&W.
Posted By: therancher

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/10/14 09:43 PM

I highly recommend the .460 xvr.

I have shot a lot of pigs with them. Only had one take a step after the shot. And it only took those "steps" because it was running when I hit it. Small pig too. And yes, I know, it really doesn't "count" (not B&C qualified and I should be ashamed) because it was shot in a 1400 acre high fenced pen.

Was still fun though. And you can see that the .460 is real good about starting the dressing process "in the field".

I will echo the "wear hearing protection", and if you value your fingers make sure they are nowhere close to the barrel/cylinder junction when shooting. It is FUN to shoot. I actually enjoy it more than full auto.

He strowed guts quite a ways as he rolled...

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 12:55 PM

wow, that's awesome firepower
nice hand cannon for sure

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 12:57 PM

what frame does the 460 use, X? or is that reserved only for the 500?

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 01:04 PM

Yeah. Not the luckiest shot I ever made, but in the top 3....

And I didn't stage that pic. That's exactly how it ended for the piggy. Thought about nicknaming the pistol "shark" after the bite it took.

The first time I shot an xvr I shot a cotton tail. We found one ear, one foot, and a greenish red furry smear where the bunny was.

I knew then I had to have one.

I believe it's the same frame as the .500 but I'm not an expert.

The reason I picked the xvr is because it has virtually identical energy stats as the .500, due to it's velocity. And, as someone said earlier, it is so versatile in the number of different rounds you can shoot in it.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 01:08 PM

what frame does the 460 use, X? or is that reserved only for the 500?

The 460 is also on the X frame.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 01:37 PM

If you cant kill a deer with a 357 your doing it wrong.... One of those 500s weighs more than a rifle.... Kinda defeating the purpose of a handgun
Posted By: cameron00

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 02:12 PM

I'd love to see a video of someone drawing an old west style 44 six shooter and rapid hammering a whitetail buck.

In the most ethical way, of course.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
If you cant kill a deer with a 357 your doing it wrong.... One of those 500s weighs more than a rifle.... Kinda defeating the purpose of a handgun

Completely agree on the .357.

However, I don't agree with the "purpose" being defined so narrowly. The purpose of a handgun changed drastically when the good folks at S&W designed a pistol that could handle that power.

It's definitely overkill for white tail. But there's not a land animal on earth it won't kill with relative ease. And just blowing rocks into powder becomes an entertaining option.

Once I shot one, the weight became insignificant.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
The 357 has been killing large and dangerous game for many years. It's funny that some people think that somehow they can't hold up, even though the round is that much better.

Just one thing. Big bore revolvers are just about the most fun you can have with firearm, and bigger IS better. grin

for hunting deer isn't the .357 the smallest cal for hunting flag

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
I highly recommend the .460 xvr.

I have shot a lot of pigs with them. Only had one take a step after the shot. And it only took those "steps" because it was running when I hit it. Small pig too. And yes, I know, it really doesn't "count" (not B&C qualified and I should be ashamed) because it was shot in a 1400 acre high fenced pen.

Was still fun though. And you can see that the .460 is real good about starting the dressing process "in the field".

I will echo the "wear hearing protection", and if you value your fingers make sure they are nowhere close to the barrel/cylinder junction when shooting. It is FUN to shoot. I actually enjoy it more than full auto.

He strowed guts quite a ways as he rolled...

they got a B&C for hogs? now ya tell me. If ya get a good Lawyer they can find loopholes & get that changed. offtopic learned the hard way in frivolous lawsuit they can terminate person for filing on workman's comp, i got small settlement then told don't tell people it was discussed on Golf course back their are things worth fighting for flag
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

X2...only issue with the 10mm is possibility of collateral damage. That's why LE stopped using it...dang thing keeps going

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I'd love to see a video of someone drawing an old west style 44 six shooter and rapid hammering a whitetail buck.

In the most ethical way, of course.

U seen some of them video's of them slinger found one on net. the guy is good. one was drawing at sound of buzzard. so strapped on the ol .45 not loaded an made video standing of ta side. they always start with hand on grip. back in the day, we had hand ta side & could hit a can. back what is smallest cal. for white tail. flag

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 10:44 PM

Old school.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/12/14 10:51 PM

It puts a great challenge into gun hunting, glad to see so many hand gun hunting enthusiasts!

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/13/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
It puts a great challenge into gun hunting, glad to see so many hand gun hunting enthusiasts!

that's me in my hunting journey. My 270 has dropped every deer I have asked it to.

my ranch has several areas I can hunt and get shots under 50 yards so this year I want to try taking one with a handgun. It's been on my bucket list for a few years now.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/13/14 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

might try the 5.7 in the right situation

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/13/14 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: WTGuide

X2...only issue with the 10mm is possibility of collateral damage. That's why LE stopped using it...dang thing keeps going

that can happen with any rifle cartridge too.
Posted By: kry226

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/13/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: WTGuide

that can happen with any rifle cartridge too.

Yeah, not sure that's an issue in a hunting situation. 10mm works for me.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/13/14 07:42 PM

the Feds dropped the 10 MM because of the females and girlie men at Quanitco couldn't handle it stir

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/17/14 02:51 AM

I have mounted my Leopold 4X and starting running some loads in my new Redhawk
Right now I am testing 23.5 grains of H110 with a 240 grain JHP and getting good results at 30 yards.

I will need more practice with my hold but things are looking great and I'm having a great time looking forward to hunting with this. The picture below is a 4 shot group from earlier today

Posted By: muddydog

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/17/14 03:29 PM

Nice Ruger. The .44 mag is suitable for any North American game with the right bullet and of course shot placement. I use a Super Blackhawk for years. Now practice a lot. I do tons of dryfire,it wont hurt the Ruger, it will actually improve the trigger. Also remember your ears! especially if hunting in an enclosed blind.

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/17/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: muddydog
Nice Ruger. The .44 mag is suitable for any North American game with the right bullet and of course shot placement. I use a Super Blackhawk for years. Now practice a lot. I do tons of dryfire,it wont hurt the Ruger, it will actually improve the trigger. Also remember your ears! especially if hunting in an enclosed blind.

I've been wondering how to protect my hearing if I'm hunting like that.
in a blind, I can slip some ear plugs in before I shoot but in a tree stand I may not have that luxury of movement.
Posted By: mow

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/17/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
I want to do the same thing. I will Bowhunt mostly, but I want to do the pistol thing. I'm looking at the S&W 460 XVR.

the balistics on these things are out of this world..they are pricey though..cheapest long barrel i could find is about 1100$
Posted By: wetduck

Re: I'm thinking of whitetail hunting with a hand gun - 08/18/14 02:21 PM

took a 6 point about 16 years ago with a 10" contender in 3030. lots of fun
yall may have got me fired up again

javies with a 1911 is hi sport
on my list of thing is a tom turk jumped to fly with the 45 from the leather
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum