Texas Hunting Forum

Time to retire from hunting

Posted By: Slimpickin

Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 02:48 PM

When I retired from the USAF, I once again treasured the hunting trips with my Dad. After the last 12 years, Dad has gotten to a point now that he can't walk much at all and his eye sight is in poor condition. Last year was the first time i ever witnessed him missing a shot.
How can I approach this season without Dad hunting? He knows his limitations, but I still want to keep that spirit alive. Has anyone else had to cross that bridge?
Posted By: DCS

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 03:21 PM

Like it or not time will always win out, as bad as we would like for time to stand still and remain in the good times, it won't.

My wife's Mother used to love hunting season, she was always the camp cook and it was a good time for her and her two daughters and those other two guys (me and my brother in law) and to spend time together. She absolutely loved getting breakfast together while we were out hunting and helping with the evening meal too, not to mention just sitting in the porch swing and looking across the canyon.

Of course, she would get on to my BIL and myself for making a drink at 8:30 in the morning after a kill, we still get a chuckle out of that.

Each year became a little more difficult, up to the point where we had to carry her up the stairs to a wheel chair. She pass away during one hunting season.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 03:41 PM

Take him to the deer lease even if he can only sit around the fire and drink coffee.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 05:32 PM

How can you not go hunting? You do it for the memories and tradition. It's something that is meant to be carried on from generation to generation. If you don't then that's just one more place it dies. What do you do? You take a youth hunting with you. Take a veteran with you. Those are things you do to pass it on. In In my opinion, hunting is not something that is to be only shared with you and your dad. It's meant for much more to enjoy. Find the enjoyment of sharing it with someone else. It's great that you have those memories with your dad. I know there are tons of kids out there that don't have that. I know adults too that dont have that. Look at it as a new window of opportunity to share it with someone else. The outdoors is too big to be just kept for two people alone.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 05:39 PM

+1 and a bunch on what Curtis just said...
Ron
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 06:05 PM

Build a blind big enough for the 2 of you to hunt together. Set up 2 feeders with one closer for easier shots. It is more about the hunt than the kill to some. I took my Dad hunting when 87 and we spent about 15 days together in the blind hunting. In the end he tooks his biggest buck of his life and I was there to share the time with him. It was his last season to hunt and he passed away this past March 31 and was 88 yrs old. It was time I consider well spent hunting with him. Spending time with him at this point in both of your lives is more important than you realize.
Posted By: Western

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Build a blind big enough for the 2 of you to hunt together. Set up 2 feeders with one closer for easier shots. It is more about the hunt than the kill to some. I took my Dad hunting when 87 and we spent about 15 days together in the blind hunting. In the end he tooks his biggest buck of his life and I was there to share the time with him. It was his last season to hunt and he passed away this past March 31 and was 88 yrs old. It was time I consider well spent hunting with him. Spending time with him at this point in both of your lives is more important than you realize.

I remember reading through those post (StX's) and agree a million %, The part I highlighted in Red, is probably one of the most significant things I have read posted on THF when it comes to family. I would add that, it is still important even if age isn't factored in. We dont know when a family member will be taken from us.

I would be as accommodating as the "old man" wants and needs, some enjoy just being in the camp/hunting atmosphere sharing their knowledge.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 06:51 PM

Great insight from all! I myself will continue to hunt. My son hunted with me for the last few years, but he too joined the military. My Son and I will hunt together as time permits. I've also introduced hunting to others outside of our family and will continue to invite others along.
I'll keep taking Dad with me regardless, but always get an earful when I insist on staying with him. I feel the getting out is more important than the harvest. We'll see how this year goes.
Posted By: Schuetzen

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 08:22 PM

My dad never hunted until or fished until I was old enough to go along then he took me duck hunting and deer hunting every year. I don't remember him ever shooting anything but he made sure that I had the opportunity. He bought a place in the national forest with a 6 acre lake so I could hunt (in season) and fish every weekend. When I got older there were several boats ranging from a bay boat to a 35 ft sport fisherman which he sold while I was in Vietnam. During that time he never fished but I sure did.

I tried to get my son interested but it did not take, he likes the entertainment in the city, I am now working on my grandson so there is still hope.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/27/14 11:46 PM

This....

Originally Posted By: Curtis
How can you not go hunting? You do it for the memories and tradition. It's something that is meant to be carried on from generation to generation. If you don't then that's just one more place it dies. What do you do? You take a youth hunting with you. Take a veteran with you. Those are things you do to pass it on. In In my opinion, hunting is not something that is to be only shared with you and your dad. It's meant for much more to enjoy. Find the enjoyment of sharing it with someone else. It's great that you have those memories with your dad. I know there are tons of kids out there that don't have that. I know adults too that dont have that. Look at it as a new window of opportunity to share it with someone else. The outdoors is too big to be just kept for two people alone.

...and this!

up yingyang
Posted By: Trifecta Outdoors

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 12:56 AM

I plan to die hunting. Don't know if your dad is the same way but I hope that if I'm blind and can't walk they will still drag my old carcass out to the woods. I know he probably don't want to hold your hunting back but try to find a way for him to be there even if he isn't hunting.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 01:22 AM

My dad never missed a trip to the lease, I never missed a year in the stand with him up until he passed. As he aged, we'd hunt more out of the truck and out of blinds that I built that were easy to get into. He left this world just as he would have wanted.....we came home from Laredo in January on a Sunday, last hunt of the season, on Monday he went to the doctor sent immediately to the hospital and never came out, his ticker just couldn't make it any longer. We did this for 30 plus years never missing a year. I was never about the kill but the time together and I am so grateful today of the memories that we made.

For me it is now about the kids, I'm trying to build that relationship with them that I have with my father. Being at the lease makes me think of him, so I'll be doing that as long as I can. His hunting hat still sits on the rack where he left it from our last hunt. Enjoy every minute you can with him, you will not regret it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 01:39 AM

I agree with all that said take him along anyway. Mt Dad and I dob't hunt together, he's not real interested in it. But he reads more than another other person I know. He and tend to agree in most things and we ALWAYS have something to talk about. When I hunt my grandparents place, dad will be in bed when I go out and will be the first one to crack open a beer with me when I get back in. I always enjoy sitting around the fire with him drinking beer until we are good and sleepy.

I hunted in the San Juan for elk in November. The elder of a group of Louisiana men was pushing 90. He stil made the trip. He hadn't missed it in over 60 years. He didn't hunt anymore but he stayed in camp and picked on two generations younger than him. You can't replace elders.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 04:43 AM

I am in the same boat, except I am the father, your father will have to learn to accept his limitations. It was pretty easy for me, my health and mobility went to hell in a hand basket all at once. Can't walk without a cane, not safe on uneven ground and totally blind in one eye. I don't even drive anymore, so it was easy to realize I cannot do that I used to do. Our son or someone else takes me hunting, my blind is my bedroom in our cabin, my feeder was moved close enough that I have no problem using a scope. Best part is I get to stay in the cabin, with one of the grandkids. If I shoot something, they come and take care of field dressing etc.. Now watching the feeder is as good as shooting something.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 07:48 AM

Might want to listen to your Dad. Most likely he made some sacrifices for you along the way. Don't push him, to some people the isolation is scary. This might be the year to miss opening day and do something else he enjoys. Guess I'd ask this question, is this trip for you or for him or the others (grandkids, cousins, etc.) I had a friend who enjoyed hanging around the deer processing place on opening weekend. He enjoyed people, and would rather watch them and visit about the hunt, whether stalking, feeder, blind, H/L fence, caliber of gun, etc.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 12:17 PM

As a kid, I couldn't wait for any hunting season because it meant that I got to spend quality time with my Dad. As I grew up, I realized that my Dad went out of his way to teach me as much about the outdoors and hunting as he could. The times he worked so hard to give me a shot and the look on his face when I was successful, the times that he gave up things to give me the opportunity were countless.
As Dad got older he still would go hunting with me and I found myself adjusting the hunt to fit his abilities. His last fall on this world, I took him dove hunting and drove to the place he would sit and set him up. Then, I took the truck back out of range and set myself up close enough we could talk. I remembered the many hunts that we went on and we talked about them all in between taking shots at doves. His eyesight was fading and he couldn't see the birds as far off as he used to but he still took nearly his limit that last day.
Less than 3 months later he was gone.
I treasure every memory I have of my Dad - good or bad. The times we spent out in the field hunting and fishing or just messing around are some of my most treasured memories.
Make the effort to get out there with him. You will never regret it.

I now have a 4 year old grandson that I spend every minute with that I can. The boy's first clear word he could say wasn't 'Mommy' or 'Daddy' it was 'outside. His paternal Grandmother will take him to the range (she's an avid hunter and shooter) for a bit but he gets so excited when I take him there. He'll spend two hours out there and I'm willing to stay longer if he wants it. It's my opportunity to pay my Dad back for all of those times he spent with me.

Figure out a way to make it work, you'll be glad you did.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 12:21 PM

There's always fishing...
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 03:40 PM

Don't let him retire. Find a way to get him out there. Even if it means getting a pop up blind taking him down the road a little and setting him up. I did this with my uncle. I carried a climber and would take my uncle out set up his wheelchair, throw a popup blind over him. Go to the nearest tree and use my climber. I'd sit up there and watch deer walk right past him and he wouldn't ever shoot. He just wanted to be out there. We did that a few times a season until Christmas Day 7 years ago and then he left us to hunt. He was my best hunting buddy because he would always find us a place to hunt as I was growing up. I just tried repaying what I owed him.
Posted By: SCson

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/28/14 04:29 PM

Do anything in your means to see that he is with you.
I lost mine last Dec and if it weren't for my son I'd have a hard time mustering up the desire.
Spend all time you can while you have it!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/29/14 04:31 PM

Bridge over trouble waters. Best Wishes for your Dad. with me, i just enjoy being out their. Worked in a hot nasty stinken foundry. it payed the bills, roof over head, nothing fancy, old beat up cars & trucks. did splerge after years of paying machanics for repairs, tip my hat ta them, bought a brand new family car for $7,000.00 give or take few $ Wife & Kids deserved better. gonna miss my walk-a-bouts at WMA Lord knows I need the exercise good theropy. its getting cheaper ya go to store. Best Wishes flag
bang Thank U for your service. their is more ta life than hunting. flag
Posted By: passthru

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 07/29/14 11:17 PM

What Curtis and STX said.

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/04/14 12:52 AM

Dad's eyesight is still giving him issues (Water easily in the wind) so i set him up Saturday with a 20 ga and buckshot. I fixed up a make shift cover out of burlap and also set him up with a shooting Pod. We have hunted in Mills county opening weekend for the last 8 years. This is our annual meat hunt. Dad took a yearling Saturday afternoon and was pleased he didn't end up empty handed.
The wind was too much for him Sunday morning, so he stayed inside. I drove an extra 250 miles to get him home. We talked about the Cowboys, Weather, and how good the young backstraps were going to taste!
I received a call from my Sister Sunday night that Dad couldn't breath and was taken to Dallas by Ambulance. He is currently in ICU, sedated on a respirator. The Doctor feels Dad is suffering from Congestive heart failure. This may have been our last hunt together, but was worth it.
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/04/14 01:32 AM

Dang onions !!Prayers for your dad
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Slimpickin
When I retired from the USAF, I once again treasured the hunting trips with my Dad. After the last 12 years, Dad has gotten to a point now that he can't walk much at all and his eye sight is in poor condition. Last year was the first time i ever witnessed him missing a shot.
How can I approach this season without Dad hunting? He knows his limitations, but I still want to keep that spirit alive. Has anyone else had to cross that bridge?

I'm getting close. Hunting isn't about the deer though. We set up a 50 yard feeder this year on a blind that you can drive up to.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/04/14 01:42 AM

What STX and dogcatcher said......I am sure your dad has recognized his limitations for sometime. Getting him in the blind and closer to a feeder is great. I am betting he did not care so much about shooting something as much as he just enjoyed being there with you. Our perspective changes as we get older...thank you for you attention to him. Make memories and keep memories with no regrets.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 01:43 AM

Prayers up. This weekend was special in many ways for both of you and more than you realized at the time. Glad you could spend it together cheers
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I'm getting close. Hunting isn't about the deer though. We set up a 50 yard feeder this year on a blind that you can drive up to.

Pops crosses my mind each time I watch the sun rise on a feed pen...Keep doing what we do, its what a Son is supposed to do for his Father, to watch a Man hard as Nails at one point in Life look me in the eye after letting a Deer walk and I said Pops why didn't you smoke him...He said Son I wanted him to live, end of conversation.

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/04/14 03:58 AM

Prayers flag

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 04:53 AM

Prayers up. This weekend was special in many ways for both of you than your realized at the time. Glad you could spend it together cheers

Well said, X's2
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 07:04 AM

Prayers up. This weekend was special in many ways for both of you than your realized at the time. Glad you could spend it together cheers
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 08:04 AM

I mainly hunt alone, occasionally with friends. But, even when alone, I'm kept company by all the many memories I have from growing up. Being out in the woods is how I relive those and get to enjoy all over again.

I lost my mom a few years ago. Hunting and fishing were some of her biggest passions. Every time I'm out in the woods I think about her. My dad has all but given it up since it was their thing to do and his wife isn't outdoorsy, but that still doesn't stop me from calling him after each deer I take, or random trip out to the lease. I get to share that with him, still. He hasn't put his nose up to any venison I make/give to him either!!

My grandpa and I talk nowhere near as much as we should, but I call him after every successful hunt and break it down like it was the superbowl. To this day, hunting and fishing is what keeps him going. A few years ago, he gave his rifle he bought in 1957. It's my exclusive deer rifle and I have no plans to retire it. If I have kids, one of them will get that gun. It's one of my prized possessions. I think about him every time I hold it.

I guess the reason why I mention all that is to show that just because circumstances have changed, doesn't mean you have to.

Wrote all that and went back and read some posts before posting. Just saw the update on your dad. I'll echo stx and the others. Know you're in my prayers.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 12:36 PM

I am that old man. I'll be 72 this month but still enjoy good health. Well, pretty good health anyway. I don't shoot as well as I used to. An hour with a chain saw doesn't produce as much wood as it used to.

Old age can be a lonely time. Kids and Grandkids are busy and have their own life. No problem, I have my own interests, stay pretty dang busy and I'm not whining. One Grandson has been hunting with me since he got out of diapers. I treasure the hunting time and now take all of his buddies along. None of their parents could afford a lease. I know the time will come when they haul my old carcass out there and leave me at the house. I hope I know when that time is but I doubt it.

Just thought of something I read. "Grandpa, don't you need to rest? Rest hell; I have all eternity to rest. Let's go fishing.".

Glad that you decided to keep taking him. Let him tell you when the time comes.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I am that old man. I'll be 72 this month but still enjoy good health. Well, pretty good health anyway. I don't shoot as well as I used to. An hour with a chain saw doesn't produce as much wood as it used to.

Old age can be a lonely time. Kids and Grandkids are busy and have their own life. No problem, I have my own interests, stay pretty dang busy and I'm not whining. One Grandson has been hunting with me since he got out of diapers. I treasure the hunting time and now take all of his buddies along. None of their parents could afford a lease. I know the time will come when they haul my old carcass out there and leave me at the house. I hope I know when that time is but I doubt it.

Very well said Dave.

Just thought of something I read. "Grandpa, don't you need to rest? Rest hell; I have all eternity to rest. Let's go fishing.".

Glad that you decided to keep taking him. Let him tell you when the time comes.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 02:49 PM

Build a blind big enough for the 2 of you to hunt together.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 03:15 PM

This thread is what the non-hunters will never understand. It is the time spent with loved ones and the memories created that make hunting what it is for me. It is clear from this thread that I am not alone in these feelings.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/04/14 03:26 PM

I just built a bridge this weekend so my 70 year old pop doesn't have to cross through a 20ft deep creek to get to his stand anymore. I got nervous watching him climb back up the otherside of that dang thing. All he asked was "Do you think I can walk across it with a deer on my shoulders." I know he would do it but I said he better drag it. I don't want a poacher mistaking him for a live deer. grin
Posted By: Hornsby

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/05/14 04:15 AM

I just lost my grandfather, best friend and hunting buddie in July. I went through the whole grieving process but nothing could prepare me for opening morning without him. He was 99 when he passed and went to the ranch right up until he passed. I have been very fortunate to grow up hunting our family ranch but with him gone now it is just not the same. All I can hope is I can be as great of a role model for my children and peers as he was. I hope I get that fire back in my belly, but at this point it is just like I am going through the motions. It makes you realize that hunting is just as much about the people you share it with as it is about the activity.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/05/14 04:37 AM

Dad's eyesight is still giving him issues (Water easily in the wind) so i set him up Saturday with a 20 ga and buckshot. I fixed up a make shift cover out of burlap and also set him up with a shooting Pod. We have hunted in Mills county opening weekend for the last 8 years. This is our annual meat hunt. Dad took a yearling Saturday afternoon and was pleased he didn't end up empty handed.
The wind was too much for him Sunday morning, so he stayed inside. I drove an extra 250 miles to get him home. We talked about the Cowboys, Weather, and how good the young backstraps were going to taste!
I received a call from my Sister Sunday night that Dad couldn't breath and was taken to Dallas by Ambulance. He is currently in ICU, sedated on a respirator. The Doctor feels Dad is suffering from Congestive heart failure. This may have been our last hunt together, but was worth it.

There's a couple points to make here:

-You went out of your way, a long way, to get your dad to the hunt.

-You gave him all the best tools he could use in order to use the capacity that remains in order to get just that one more.

-You were there the whole time to make sure things went well, and to help make sure everything was taken care of.

Your dad raised a good kid, no matter how old you are now. Prayers up for your dad, I certainly hope this is just a hiccup on the path down the long road we're all on.

God forbid, if it's not, I simply cannot think of a better way to go.

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 01:17 AM

Dad came off the respriator today! The first thing he told my Sister was He and I were going hunting again Saturday! Prayers answered! partyon555

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 01:24 AM

Man that is great news!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 02:31 AM

Great!!!
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 02:40 AM

His fight with cancer left him without much lung capacity, so dad can no longer chase quail or climb into his blind. He has spent the last few years taking his grandsons and sitting in his truck watching a peanut field while they hunt. When he goes duck hunting with Joshua we carry him in the ranger right to the blind. He knows his hunting days are over, but he refuses to miss out on the grand kids and their adventures. We sit around the fire at night and the kids sit and listen to all the same old stories and eat them up. It is what you make it and we make memories every time we are together.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 02:46 AM

AB, kudos to your dad. He is a real man.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/06/14 05:08 AM

Do whatever it takes to keep him involved as long as possible. Our 87 year old granny shot a big tom last weekend and we had 4 generations tracking it for her.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/06/14 05:48 AM

All of y'alls stories strike a chord in each one of us. I think most people would understand. It just seems to me that of all the great times I've spent with family and friends, fishing or hunting was at the center of it. When we got our place 'in the country' it was because of the hard work of my Grandparents and Parents. Thank goodness, Mom and Dad are still here to enjoy it with the rest of the family.

The first buck I shot at our place was a spiritual as well as an emotional experience. I can honestly tell you that I wept, thinking about my Grandmother and Father. They would have been pleased.

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 05:57 AM

Dad came off the respriator today! The first thing he told my Sister was He and I were going hunting again Saturday! Prayers answered! partyon555

cheers Great news flag

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 06:47 AM

That is great news!!! He's not ready to retire from hunting!!! He's ready to spend more time with you making more memories!!!

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog

That is great news!!! He's not ready to retire from hunting!!! He's ready to spend more time with you making more memories!!!

Great news and ditto Seadog up
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 11/06/14 01:39 PM

As long as he wantsto go, take him.

I would give anything to have one more hunting trip with my Dad.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/06/14 05:35 PM

DId he take you when you were too young to keep your yap shut and you couldn't sit still long enough for deer to show up at the feeder? Now it is your turn. Sometimes sitting in a blind remembering past hunts is more important than sitting in a blind and trying to make new memories, because in the end all we have are our memories. Your Dad will never think he is too old to hunt, just as no one could ever convince you that you were too young to hunt. The time will come for all of us when we can't climb that ladder or we can't see that buck, or we can't make that shot. WHat you are trying to do is help your Father put off that time for as long as possible. It is out there for all of us, but none of us want to admit it.
Posted By: Shooter5645

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/08/14 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: skeeter22
Take him to the deer lease even if he can only sit around the fire and drink coffee.

agree
Posted By: Shooter5645

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 11/08/14 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
My dad never missed a trip to the lease, I never missed a year in the stand with him up until he passed. As he aged, we'd hunt more out of the truck and out of blinds that I built that were easy to get into. He left this world just as he would have wanted.....we came home from Laredo in January on a Sunday, last hunt of the season, on Monday he went to the doctor sent immediately to the hospital and never came out, his ticker just couldn't make it any longer. We did this for 30 plus years never missing a year. I was never about the kill but the time together and I am so grateful today of the memories that we made.

For me it is now about the kids, I'm trying to build that relationship with them that I have with my father. Being at the lease makes me think of him, so I'll be doing that as long as I can. His hunting hat still sits on the rack where he left it from our last hunt. Enjoy every minute you can with him, you will not regret it.

Amen to that!

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/25/14 01:44 AM

We Lost Dad Monday afternoon. He had a great year and after Getting out of rehab we hunted together again. He dropped a cull buck at 100 yards and bragged on it everywhere. My Brother came down and I took them out to hunt. Best stand, Hottest spot, best rifle, and drove them right up to the stand! My Brother missed a BIG 11 point and Dad and I laughed about it all the way home.
It was a good year and My favorite Hunting partner will be Missed dearly!

Love ya Dad!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/25/14 01:49 AM

sorry for your loss.

from the look on his face in that pic he was loving life and enjoying every minute of it.
Posted By: tex70

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/25/14 01:56 AM

Sorry for your loss but you have some fantastic memories to reflect back on & that's very special! Prayers up for you & your family
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 12/25/14 03:45 AM

All the men who taught me how to hunt have been gone for years now. I honor them by doing my best not to forget what they taught me and will pass it on to those who will hopefully value the knowledge as much as I do. The memories of the times we had will last forever.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 12/25/14 05:50 AM

Prayers up.

That pic looks like dad was right where he needed to be.
Posted By: Luke27

Re: Time to retire from hunting (Updated - Prayers needed) - 12/25/14 06:26 AM

Condolences from the Schaeffer clan.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/25/14 02:14 PM

Sorry tp hear that SP, will send up a prayer for your family. The time spent on those hunts, was well spent. No doubt your father was proud of his boys and happy to teach you what he knew. Great photo BTW up
Posted By: Flags

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/25/14 04:26 PM

My condolences. I lost my father in Sept 2013. He was my best friend and my hunting buddy. It is hard going out knowing he can never join me again.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/26/14 02:05 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend and hunting buddy nearly 31 years ago but I kept on hunting as I knew that he would want me to and I was able to spend many quality hours hunting with my own sons. Now I get to hunt with my grandsons and treasure every minute of it. I still feel that my Dad is right there with us every time we get to hunt.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/26/14 02:10 AM

We Lost Dad Monday afternoon. He had a great year and after Getting out of rehab we hunted together again. He dropped a cull buck at 100 yards and bragged on it everywhere. My Brother came down and I took them out to hunt. Best stand, Hottest spot, best rifle, and drove them right up to the stand! My Brother missed a BIG 11 point and Dad and I laughed about it all the way home.
It was a good year and My favorite Hunting partner will be Missed dearly!

Love ya Dad!

Sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you and your family. Great pic also.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/26/14 02:38 AM

You and your father will be in my prayers. Very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: lonestar

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/26/14 03:45 AM

Prayers. I lost my dad and hunting partner one year ago tomorrow. It is not the same at the lease, but, have my son and not to far down the road grand kids will be old enough. Hunting is more family now than killing.

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/27/14 12:07 PM

My thoughts and Prayers are with you anf your family for y'all's loss!!! You and your brother did get what everyone wants - a last hunt with your dad and the smile on his face, says it all!!!
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/27/14 10:43 PM

Prayers up brother, lost my dad last year...understand totally, you'll be together again someday! Keep hunting with dad watching.
Posted By: fsevin

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/30/14 01:44 PM

Prayers up for your family. The memories and stories will last and last....
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Time to retire from hunting - 12/30/14 03:03 PM

Slim I read this thread from start to finish and all the comments including yours have been very inspirational and touching to say the least. I am very sorry for your loss and glad you got to experience this last season with your dad. Like others have said he did a great job and raised a fine son. God Bless you and your family
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum