Texas Hunting Forum

need advice on building feeder coral

Posted By: Sparky45

need advice on building feeder coral - 07/27/14 01:05 PM

my land is in two sections. One section has no livestock at all and the other section only has a few of my kids mini-donkeys on it. (they are my weed eaters and keep the area around the camp cleaned up)

I want to put a new feeder about 80 yards out in front of the camp area just to see what we can draw in this year but I need to put some type of fence barrier to keep the minis out. They are pretty laid back and we have cross fence that is pretty low where we step over and they have never tried to get over it. These animals are pretty short so I don't need 4 foot panels.

I was thinking of just getting 4 of those hog panels and using tpost.
my area would be 16X16. Wouldn't that be big enough for deer to jump in and feel comfortable enough to hang around? I like the hog panel because its only about 3 foot tall

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/27/14 01:08 PM

Hog panels are 34" tall but I would make the pen big enough to keep all the corn inside the pen so the donkeys won't be able to get to any corn. Deer will learn to jump into a smaller pen but when the bucks are in hard antlers your activity will drop a bit. Same with dominant does they will run all the other does/fawns out of the pen till they are full.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/27/14 08:37 PM

Use 9 panels. Four will be way too small.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/27/14 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JHeflinland

Put in a few T-posts too. Then if the mini's figure out how to jump you can run a strand of slick or barbed wire another foot up! Deer will go right over it....

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 02:58 AM

I was just thinking of a square area with corner and middle tpost
but I think I see what you are suggesting is to make a circle out of the panels.
I wouldn't need near as many t post that way

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 03:04 AM

to connect the panels to make a circle, do you just overlap them about 2 feet or so and wire them up tight?
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45
to connect the panels to make a circle, do you just overlap them about 2 feet or so and wire them up tight?

Thats how it was at our old place. Hog panel in a circle overlapped about 1.5-2 ft. Although we did more like 12-14 panels and made the pen huge.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45

I overlap only 1 spacing and use 2 T-post per panel. So if you are using 10 panels then 20 T-posts for a round pen. Wire 3-4 places at each T-post. I use one panel section as my gate to back in and out. The round pen helps keep the pen a bit more rigid and t-post hold it up. So no need to overlap more than one spacing. Once grass and weeds grow into the bottom of each panel it helps hold them down to keep hog from trying to go under.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 03:51 AM

The further you overlap them the better the pen will stand up. And yes, you want the pen a circle.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 04:44 AM

The further you overlap them the better the pen will stand up. And yes, you want the pen a circle.

up
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/28/14 11:54 AM

Circle, no corners for the deer to get trapped in.
Posted By: mdcamp

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/30/14 09:05 PM

I built mine out of the 34" hog panels, used 9 panels to get large enough to keep all the corn inside and made it round. overlap was 2 squares and at a tee post with another in between them. I left one panel where I could open it up to get inside with a 4-wheeler to fill the feeder. Works perfect. I have a hog problem and had to keep them away from my feeder.
Posted By: PMK

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/30/14 09:44 PM

I have been using the Tractor Supply cattle panels that are 50" x 16' (catch on sale for $18). I buy 5 panels and 12 6' T-posts, I then use bolt cutters to cut one of the panels in half lengthways (leaves 25" tall x 16' long). I lay the panels on the ground with the corners overlapping by 2 squares, drive a post where the panels overlaps and stand up the two panels and wire in place. Move to middle of one panel and drive another T-post & wire, move to the other end of the panel and pull towards center about 2 feet and place another T-post & wire end (creates an arc). Continue around standing up all the panels one by one leaving the two shorter (25") directly opposite each other with cut ends pointed up (similar to barbed wire effect) and in line with stand or direction you will be mainly looking at the feeder to allow better sight/shooting over the lower side. Gives about a 30 foot diameter pen. If the goats or other animals try to climb/jump the the short sides, un-wire and pick up a few inches off the ground raising the top higher ... works well and is a bit cheaper than using the hog panels with similar results.

Re: need advice on building feeder coral - 07/30/14 10:06 PM

I got the panels up today. I overlapped 2 squares and wired them up with good fence wire.
today I just made the full circle and put the feeder inside and got it running.

this weekend, I will drive 2 t post about 4 ft apart and make a gate out of some scrap cattle panel and I'll put a few more t post in to stake the panels to in case a hog tries to root under.
The donkeys came out and looked it over good just out of curiosity but I think they walked away soon after
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum