Texas Hunting Forum

My new game loading system WORKS (PICS)

Posted By: twinbubba

My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:41 AM

I decided I was getting to old and crippled up to be climbing in the bed of my Rhino to hook a pulley on a tree limb, drag my deer or pig under the tree, hoist the animal with the pulley, back the Rhino under the animal and lower it into the bed then climb into the bed, with the animal, to retrieve the pulley system.
So here is my solution. I open the tailgate, tilt the bed and tie the animals legs together.

I then run the other end of the rope through the pulley and tie it off to a boat cleat so I can drag the animal to a near by tree.

Next I tie the end of the rope to the tree as high as I can.

I then drive forward until I see hoofs at the pulley.

I close the tailgate, push the bed down and lock it in place, back up, retrieve my rope end from the tree and my animal is loaded. This weekend was the first time I tried it and it worked like a charm.
What do you think?
Posted By: HLo

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:53 AM

Pretty good idea.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:59 AM

Seems to work good. Do you have a winch on front? I've seen people run the winch line over the roof.

Looks like a big ole doe for Texas

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 05:04 AM

I have no winch.
She was the biggest doe I have seen this year.
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 06:58 AM

Sweet!
Posted By: BBD84

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 07:17 AM

Nice work, Ive done something like that before on a elk that I was alone on and had to get in a truck bed after I tried for a hour to load it by the back legs.
Posted By: cmc

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 12:03 PM

If I can't load em I would pull up to that tree facing it, tie the rope as high as I could to the tree, run it over the ranger down to the critter then just back up the ranger. Runs em right up into the bed. You got a good system there.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 01:04 PM

That's just thinkin' outside the box!

Good Job!
Posted By: reeder05

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Good Job!

up

Good idea and thanks for sharing. I have always thought that it is easier to load an animal into the bed of a truck by yourself versus the bed of a UTV.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 02:25 PM

I got the idea after playing tug of war on a pulley system trying to get a 184lb hog in the air high enough to back the Rhino under him. I was washing the Rhino one day with the bed tilted and the tailgate open and noticed the tailgate liked about 4" from touching the ground. As they say the rest is history.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:34 PM

For hogs we have a meat hook we hook through the hock and around the ball, dragging them works just fine in our sand.

I see broken trees in your future, but looks interesting.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:51 PM

The trick is in picking a big enough tree and I have on desire to load another 180lb + hog into the bed of my Rhino. Another nice thing about this system is I am never lifting dead weight, I am just dragging the weight on the ground or up an incline. I'm no physicist but that is the way I see it.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:55 PM

i didn't have a tree handy , I did something similar to your
method but manual

tie rope to deer's neck
loop through a link/pulley attached to one of the pop up tie-down
rings (towards the cab on top of rail )

holding on to rope I lifted buck's head and antler on tailgate
tighten rope and start pulling til buck's in bed

I like your method better
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 04:59 PM

coolpics save alot on wear tear on the ol back up flag
Posted By: tlk

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 06:15 PM

great idea! my problem is we dont have any trees around = all south texas mesquite -

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 07:22 PM

Special emphasis on "OL". crazy

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
great idea! my problem is we dont have any trees around = all south texas mesquite -

That was a mesquite I had the rope tied to. I guess they don't grow big mesquites in South Texas, just big deer. grin
Posted By: Big Tony

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 07:28 PM

Awesome
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: HLo
Pretty good idea.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 11:36 PM

Good Job!

up
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
Special emphasis on "OL". crazy
left out the D cuase don't qualifly for disability. just worn out. depends on the doctor ya talk to. flag
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/09/13 11:58 PM

up
Posted By: don k

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 12:00 AM

That is a great Idea. That is one big doe. They don't grow them that big around here.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 12:13 AM

I haven't been deer hunting long so I don't know how big a big doe is but in an effort to learn I weighed the doe and she was 90lb on the hoof.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: reeder05

Good Job!

up

Good idea and thanks for sharing. I have always thought that it is easier to load an animal into the bed of a truck by yourself versus the bed of a UTV.
Posted By: aeb

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 02:50 AM

Good idea.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 02:53 AM

Thanks web, I have one once in a blue moon.
Posted By: BigCloud

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 11:41 AM

Good idea, no tree close,
you could drive a stake in the ground
at a 45 degree angle tie the rope around the base.
Or use the armstrong method coupled with a comealong
stir
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 01:59 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/10/13 01:59 PM

That's a great idea.
Posted By: pinkmist black hog down

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/12/13 04:24 PM

Nice
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/12/13 07:39 PM

I just roll the deer into a jet sled, attach the sled's rope to my trailer hitch and drive back to camp.

JR
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shappell-Jet-Sled/909766.uts?productVariantId=1622562&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03045766&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=C968BC5E-86A2-DF11-907B-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=34044836831&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57964213871&gclid=CPyE6M63q7sCFaTm7AodkxYANw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/12/13 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards
I just roll the deer into a jet sled, attach the sled's rope to my trailer hitch and drive back to camp.

JR
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shappell-Jet-Sled/909766.uts?productVariantId=1622562&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03045766&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=C968BC5E-86A2-DF11-907B-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=34044836831&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57964213871&gclid=CPyE6M63q7sCFaTm7AodkxYANw&gclsrc=aw.ds
How is your jet sled holding up? I've had mine for about a year and its almost got holes worn in the corners

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/12/13 11:29 PM

Jr, that works too but one of the nice things about my system is that it is always with me and don't take up much storage space.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 01:07 AM

up
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 01:42 AM

up
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 02:49 AM

Looks like it works to me
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: aeb
Good idea.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 06:22 PM

Good idea.
Posted By: skeet...Skeeter

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 08:08 PM

Good Idea
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/13/13 08:57 PM

Good idea, and great pics! - Thx!
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/14/13 12:06 AM

Very cool idea! Another option is a game hoist. I used to build them for people all the time. Less than 100 bucks in materials and a few hours welding. Didn't use an electric winch, just a hand crank winch. Also had the pipe section in the middle so it would swivel around to offload the animal in the bed of the truck or the UTV.

They were very similar to this:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265464
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/14/13 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

JR
How is your jet sled holding up? I've had mine for about a year and its almost got holes worn in the corners

Mine is holding up great, but I haven't used it much and we have sandy soil without ANY rocks where i hunt.

JR

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/16/13 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Good idea, and great pics! - Thx!

Your welcome.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/16/13 03:33 PM

I thought that's what grandsons were for...

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/16/13 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
I thought that's what grandsons were for...

I don't have one of those, you got one you could loan me.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/16/13 11:55 PM

I put an electric winch (with a remote) on the rear, upper roll bar of my Teryx. I strap the animal to a board that normally sets in the bed of the Teryx. It has a chain on it. I tilt the bed, let out the winch, hook it to the chain and push the button to reel it in. Works like a champ...and is a big help to those of us with a few years on us. :-)
Posted By: ct12555

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/17/13 12:54 AM

Good idea.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/17/13 01:01 AM

That's working smart, not hard. Great idea.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/18/13 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I put an electric winch (with a remote) on the rear, upper roll bar of my Teryx. I strap the animal to a board that normally sets in the bed of the Teryx. It has a chain on it. I tilt the bed, let out the winch, hook it to the chain and push the button to reel it in. Works like a champ...and is a big help to those of us with a few years on us. :-)

I know what you mean dfwroadkill about "us with a few years on us". That is why I came up with this idea, getting too old to climb up in the bed of the Rhino to connect a pulley system to a limb and also why I converted my feeders to crank ups, too old and broken up to be carrying 50lb bags of corn up a step ladder.
Posted By: moderno

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/18/13 12:36 PM

up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/18/13 12:55 PM

Neat system!
Posted By: rob valle

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/18/13 03:10 PM

MacGiver would be proud!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/19/13 10:41 PM

I've been using that system for about 3 years now. It works great even if you don't have a pulley set up. I just run the rope around the top brace of the rops system and back to the tree.
Posted By: Taiaut

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/23/13 03:23 PM

I decided I was getting to old and crippled up to be climbing in the bed of my Rhino to hook a pulley on a tree limb, drag my deer or pig under the tree, hoist the animal with the pulley, back the Rhino under the animal and lower it into the bed then climb into the bed, with the animal, to retrieve the pulley system.
So here is my solution. I open the tailgate, tilt the bed and tie the animals legs together.

I close the tailgate, push the bed down and lock it in place, back up, retrieve my rope end from the tree and my animal is loaded. This weekend was the first time I tried it and it worked like a charm.
What do you think?

I think it is a great idea. Wondering why you need to tie the rope so high in the tree ? Would it not work the same if the rope was tied at the bottom of the tree. ? Seems that the mechanical advantage would remain the same.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 12/23/13 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Taiaut

What do you think?

I think it is a great idea. Wondering why you need to tie the rope so high in the tree ? Would it not work the same if the rope was tied at the bottom of the tree. ? Seems that the mechanical advantage would remain the same.

My thinking is the higher the pulley is the higher it will raise the animal's legs so they get on top of the tailgate and don't hang up under it and raise the tailgate. Plus if you look closely at the tree I was having to reach over the cedar tree in front.
Posted By: Cajunshooter

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/03/16 04:16 AM

Oops

I then run the other end of the rope through the pulley and tie it off to a boat cleat so I can drag the animal to a near by tree.

What do you think?

Next I tie the end of the rope to the tree as high as I can

What do you think?

This is a great and convenient idea that I may end up using for. I have to think having a wench I should be able to do something like this but not have to use the tree.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/03/16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
Originally Posted By: aeb
Good idea.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/03/16 05:03 PM

great job on figuring out how to do that.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/03/16 06:22 PM

work smarter not harder!
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/04/16 12:24 AM

I believe in Keep It Simple. Trailer hitch systems the best break down into small parts, lift into bed, and also use to process.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/04/16 12:26 AM

That's a really big tree where I hunt.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/04/16 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

JR

Old car hood, free to cheap, won't wear it out
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/04/16 02:58 AM

You know you could just use a single cable 'Come-a-long' and dispense with the tree/external anchor system?

Keep your pulley arrangement on your ROPS, mount a D-Ring in the bed of unit at the right rear corner (just inside the tailgate). D-ring becomes your anchor for the Come-a-long. Lets you easily access and work the lever as well as position whatever you are loading if needed. Provides a greater mechanical advantage (since the cable is closer to parallel to the live end, (rule #1 when using a pulley). Provided you have no disability preventing you from working the lever, it should be quite easy to load your game.

No need to find a tree, gives complete control (vs. driving a vehicle), has other uses, easy to store, most folks already have one.

Love the tilt bed function of your method, continue to use that.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/04/16 07:28 AM

I built a metal game cradle that mounts to the front and uses the winch. Lower the cradle to the ground. Drag the animal onto the cradle. Use the winch to lift the cradle. Drive away. Copied a friend's idea. Made mine different so it folds up flat to the front. Looks like a brush guard when folded up.

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/09/16 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
You know you could just use a single cable 'Come-a-long' and dispense with the tree/external anchor system?

Keep your pulley arrangement on your ROPS, mount a D-Ring in the bed of unit at the right rear corner (just inside the tailgate). D-ring becomes your anchor for the Come-a-long. Lets you easily access and work the lever as well as position whatever you are loading if needed. Provides a greater mechanical advantage (since the cable is closer to parallel to the live end, (rule #1 when using a pulley). Provided you have no disability preventing you from working the lever, it should be quite easy to load your game.

No need to find a tree, gives complete control (vs. driving a vehicle), has other uses, easy to store, most folks already have one.

Love the tilt bed function of your method, continue to use that.

My method works just fine and I will continue to use it.....if that's OK with you. trout
Posted By: flyride1

Re: My new game loading system WORKS (PICS) - 01/13/16 02:26 AM

Whatever it takes to save your back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum