Texas Hunting Forum

Gander Mountain

Posted By: sm1

Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 06:50 PM

We were at Gander Mountain last week and noticed all the mounts (deer cat's coyote's)were gone .We ask the manager what happened to them and he said .All mounts have been removed because they don't want to offend anyone .That was his exact words .We called the main office in North Carolina and got the same story.They said it was nation wide and had complaints from animal rights organizations .This is a hunting store. Sounds like more Obamanomics to me .Check your local stores and see what they say.If this is true Gander Mountain will never get another dollar of my money .Thank God we will have a new Cabela's soon. Good Luck
Posted By: Jhunt

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 06:53 PM

I was told acustomer was injured when one fell from the wall. Maybe true, maybe not? I think more customers are more offended by their high prices! They need to take those down too!
Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 06:57 PM

their prices are very high
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:05 PM

I did notice the mounts gone at the Sugar Land location. They call that store "Broke Back Mountain" for being such whims and not standing up to whom they cater. The way they are going, I give them maybe few more years before they go out of business.
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:05 PM

And yes prices are very high.
Posted By: JamesNewHunter

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:06 PM

I went to Gander Mountain for the first time and I absolutely had a terrible experience. The gun selection was HUGE, and AMAZING, but they had ONE salesman available. One! After taking a number and waiting patiently for 45 minutes I asked for the manager, who ended up being discourteous and rude. I'm never ever going back to that store.
Posted By: sm1

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:10 PM

Guys this is not about prices .It's about having a backbone and not caving in to political pressures .
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:11 PM

I think they should get rid of all the animal mounts.
It offends me. They are there for the purpose of mocking me and my inability to harvest such animals. It is just shameful. realmad
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
I think they should get rid of all the animal mounts.
It offends me. They are there for the purpose of mocking me and my inability to harvest such animals. It is just shameful. realmad

X2 grin
Posted By: djones

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: sm1
Guys this is not about prices .It's about having a backbone and not caving in to political pressures .

up
Posted By: PWT

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 08:12 PM

Dont have a Gander Mtn here, that I know of, definitely wont be looking for one now
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 08:58 PM

I'll find out if the one in Lubbock is void of mounts.

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 09:39 PM

lubbock is the one he's talking about
Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 09:43 PM

There is a Bass Pro in pearland with tons of mounts, I will see what they do about it. I really hope they don't take em down though.
Posted By: bigpigtx

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/26/13 11:11 PM

How much do you suppose Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc spend on all those trophy mounts, fish tanks, and waterfalls?

I would rather they just have lower prices.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 12:56 AM

In Amarillo the mounts got taken down because they were mainly one guys, and he was just letting them use them. And since they remodeled, they had to take them down. And btw, the main store is not in north Carolina, gander is headquartered out of st Paul Minnesota.
Posted By: lharrell79

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 01:13 AM

They'll never get a dime of my money either. Not because of their mounts, because of their incredibly high prices.
Posted By: EricShelton

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 01:19 AM

I doubt obama had anything to do with little old gander mountain.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: EricShelton
I doubt obama had anything to do with little old gander mountain.

Obama is evil, and so is this.
Posted By: Medinabuck

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 02:01 AM

My wife bought a box of Hornady 25-06, 90 grain ammo for me as a little surprise. (she's kind that way). Anyway, I thanked her very much and took it back to Gander Mountain the next day because I shoot 117 grain. I finally got to speak with a salesperson who said that only the manager could approve the exchange. They are on the shelf next to each other at the same price. Anyway, the manager was "unavailable". He has been for the past week. That's the last money they'll get from me.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 02:15 AM

I will say that I went into Academy looking for some pretty common .243 ammo. Naturally they were out so I drove all the way across town to Gander Mountain. They had it and several choices at that. No, they weren't cheap, but at least I left with some ammo.
The racks of ammo where full unlike my local Academy, which seems to always be out of what I need, when I need it.
Posted By: Sn1p3r_1

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 03:34 AM

There is no refunds in ammunition. I got two boxes of Prvi Partizan soft point of 7.62x39mm and they are a lot shorter than any other round in the same caliber. They will not take them back.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Sn1p3r_1
There is no refunds in ammunition. I got two boxes of Prvi Partizan soft point of 7.62x39mm and they are a lot shorter than any other round in the same caliber. They will not take them back.

Most stores have a no return policy on ammo.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 03:59 PM

We were at Gander Mountain last week and noticed all the mounts (deer cat's coyote's)were gone .We ask the manager what happened to them and he said .All mounts have been removed because they don't want to offend anyone .That was his exact words .We called the main office in North Carolina and got the same story.They said it was nation wide and had complaints from animal rights organizations .This is a hunting store. Sounds like more Obamanomics to me .Check your local stores and see what they say.If this is true Gander Mountain will never get another dollar of my money .Thank God we will have a new Cabela's soon. Good Luck

I stopped shopping there awhile ago. Can't stand their service, the employees are worse than used car salesmen. I went in there to look at shotguns and the guy immediately pulls out a Beneli and tells me "If a hunter shoots anything else, they shouldn't call themselves a hunter." What a jackass, they just push the most expensive rifle no matter what. If I shop at any big corp. store its either academy or cabelas, in my experience both have great customer service; however, I have heard stories that cabelas has been slipping up.

But yeah, why any animal rights activist would go into a hunting store is beyond me, no one is forcing them to go in. I would be surprised if in a couple of years Gander Mountain cuts their firearm sales and becomes a camping and outdoor "outfitter" rather than the store they are.

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

Most stores have a no return policy on ammo.
Well now I need to buy another rifle. I'm stuck with 2 boxes of ammo.
Posted By: BigO

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/27/13 10:02 PM

I am sticking with Bass Pro. Cabela's and Gander Mountain do not offer military discount (last time I was in either store was over 10 years ago), but they do offer discounts to police and fire...which is good for those guys.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: BigO
I am sticking with Bass Pro. Cabela's and Gander Mountain do not offer military discount (last time I was in either store was over 10 years ago), but they do offer discounts to police and fire...which is good for those guys.

Never ID'd myself to get a discount, That is not the way I roll.
If they had a sign up advertising I might say something, but I never ask if they offer any discounts. loser8
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: djones

up

And high prices!
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 04:39 AM

Ill never shop there
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 02:06 PM

My local in Tyler Tx is only open because of fire arm sales. I have for sure done my part. They price them well and when they run 0 percent I stock up.

Personally I'm glad they removed them. Pictures of living are better to me than a dead carcass. Wrapping flesh over a decoy is disrespectful to the kill. I try to respect every kill with max meat harvest. Using a animal for food and warmth is how I best see to honor something when you end it's life.

Providing local jobs and more selection for me is appreciated. Not the decor. And I type this while in my deer blind with a 30-06 across my lap. Bought from my local GM.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 02:20 PM

I can remember when you could go into any hardware store and buy ammo, and then when the mom and pop stores closed you could still find ammo at most all Walmarts, and now that isn't the case anymore as some have stopped selling guns, and the ammo selection leaves a lot to be desired.
Bashing a store just because you don't like because they take down the mounted heads is a little silly, and at least they haven't stopped selling the guns and ammo which is when I would get upset.
Paying more for ammo I need right now is better than ordering some on line, having to wait for it, and paying half the price of the ammo just to have it shipped, makes more sense to me.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/28/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Fight

Personally I'm glad they removed them. Pictures of living are better to me than a dead carcass. Wrapping flesh over a decoy is disrespectful to the kill. I try to respect every kill with max meat harvest. Using a animal for food and warmth is how I best see to honor something when you end it's life.

Posted By: ralph

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/29/13 01:38 AM

I shop Gander Mt. and Academy in Tyler and want both to stay in business and do well.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/29/13 01:49 AM

GM will have my business as long as their prices are competitive and they have an adequate inventory.
Posted By: LAG - CW

Re: Gander Mountain - 11/29/13 01:20 PM

I won't step foot in another GM. False advertising, lack of knowledgeable sales folks and 19 year old managers that don't know anything, is just a few examples of why. I am speaking for the one in Round Rock. It is a joke!
Posted By: Oneshot.308

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 04:33 AM

I went in to the new one in Lewisville several weeks ago. I wont be back, let me tell you why..
I found some .22 mag ammo and decided to pick up two boxes. At the check out counter the cashier wanted to know my birthday, ( for the record you can tell im past 21 and allowed to buy alcohol and ammo), so, never having been asked that before at ANY other place when Im buying ammo( yes I know its a law, but really?), I tell her, THEN she asked me what am i using the ammo for, a rifle or handgun? I ask her why she needs to know that. She says, well they are required to ask, " It's in the computer system so I have to ask " , I tell her its none of their business which type of firearm im using this for. She wont check me out unless i tell her. So I ask for a manager, but one never shows up...so, i told her to type in whatever she thought was best. I will never give them another nickel of my money. PERIOD
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 04:39 AM

Gander Mountain is pathetic.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 03:15 PM

Academy is getting ridiculous. Nothing is ever available and they only carry low end firearms for the most part. Seems like they are downgrading their hunting department. Their fishing selections aren't much better.

I haven't been in Gander Mountain in about 10 years so I'll give it another chance when I get the chance to go to the new one in Mesquite.

Bass Pro and Cabelas will get my business all day long. I love going in there. I could spend hours drooling over the guns.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle1974

roflmao roflmao roflmao

That may be the weirdest post I have ever seen from an actual hunter/shooter.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Oneshot.308
I went in to the new one in Lewisville several weeks ago. I wont be back, let me tell you why..
I found some .22 mag ammo and decided to pick up two boxes. At the check out counter the cashier wanted to know my birthday, ( for the record you can tell im past 21 and allowed to buy alcohol and ammo), so, never having been asked that before at ANY other place when Im buying ammo( yes I know its a law, but really?), I tell her, THEN she asked me what am i using the ammo for, a rifle or handgun? I ask her why she needs to know that. She says, well they are required to ask, " It's in the computer system so I have to ask " , I tell her its none of their business which type of firearm im using this for. She wont check me out unless i tell her. So I ask for a manager, but one never shows up...so, i told her to type in whatever she thought was best. I will never give them another nickel of my money. PERIOD

pistol ammo requires you to be 21, rifle ammo requires you to be 18. that's why they put it in the computer system, so when an 18 year old walks up to buy 22 ammo, he can say it's for a rifle..
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 05:40 PM

Sky high prices and bowing to anti hunting crowd both show lack of morals and integrity!

Hence why I don't shop there.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 08:07 PM

She had my birthday already, i was old enough to buy EITHER one, it served no purpose to know which one, so, I call BS. Not having a manager available to answer my questions was also a big problem.
Having read the other posts about removing the mounts just adds to my reasons for NOT EVER GOING BACK.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/01/13 10:31 PM

I would rather go to any local gunshop and pay less For firearms! Place is high on evertyhing. If my local shops dont produce first, then its acadmey, then online! Im done with gander.
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/02/13 05:00 AM

How is mounting a deer disrespectful? Next deer I shoot you can have the back half so you can keep warm
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/02/13 05:07 AM

clap

As far as the OP, sounds about right..business catering to a special interest group rather than their actual clients. Stupid
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/02/13 05:11 AM

I would not buy anything from them. I went there and the prices were high and the staff was not helpful. if they are bowing to pressure then they will never get another dollar from me.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/02/13 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: djones
lubbock is the one he's talking about

I dropped in there Thanksgiving day to check out reloading stuff...I got more than they do and that ain't much! And the experts behind the counter crack me up. grin
Posted By: Laser123

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/08/13 02:43 AM

New Gander Mountain in Mesquite has a huge gun inventory but everything is overpriced. I look there and go 1 half block down the street and buy at Academy. I could care less about the mounts. I'm looking for the best price.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/08/13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ralph
I shop Gander Mt. and Academy in Tyler and want both to stay in business and do well.

I don't wish bad things for GM but the one in Tyler is a joke. They need a complete overhaul along with a little training for their staff. I was there today looking for something and couldn't find anyone to help me find it. I went to the service counter and asked the girl there if she could help me find it. She said to just go back to the hunting section and find someone. I told her nobody over there knows anything. She just said sorry. So, I walked 20 feet from her and called the store and she was the one that answered. I was literally standing 20 feet from her watching her talk to me on the phone. I asked her if they had what I was looking for and she said "sorry, we're sold out". I'm done with that place.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/08/13 07:16 AM

She had my birthday already, i was old enough to buy EITHER one, it served no purpose to know which one, so, I call BS. Not having a manager available to answer my questions was also a big problem.
Having read the other posts about removing the mounts just adds to my reasons for NOT EVER GOING BACK.

Call bs, but you're wrong. You need to know the law before you go on a tyrant. And yes, that girl probably knows nothing about hunting, do she does what she knows she has to.

Now if your like me, and know what the law is, I can click either one, bc I know your old enough to buy either.

Also, they have to have your birth date. When any ammo is scanned, it pops up, and can't be bypassed. And we have to put in those birth dates. If we kept putting our birthday in every time, corporate knows it, and that can get the store in big trouble.

There is always two sides to every story, so look at both sides first.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/08/13 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Medinabuck
My wife bought a box of Hornady 25-06, 90 grain ammo for me as a little surprise. (she's kind that way). Anyway, I thanked her very much and took it back to Gander Mountain the next day because I shoot 117 grain. I finally got to speak with a salesperson who said that only the manager could approve the exchange. They are on the shelf next to each other at the same price. Anyway, the manager was "unavailable". He has been for the past week. That's the last money they'll get from me.

Ammo can not be refunded, exchanged, or anything of the sort. It's a federal law, not a sour policy, federal. If atf caught wind of something of the sort, the store could be done for.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/08/13 01:25 PM

WOW talk about a high jacked thread.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
Originally Posted By: Medinabuck

Ammo can not be refunded, exchanged, or anything of the sort. It's a federal law, not a sour policy, federal. If atf caught wind of something of the sort, the store could be done for.

There is no federal law prohibiting the returning of ammo to stores, but it is in many stores policies. Just because a sign in a store says its a federal law, does not make it one. Its a liability/insurance issue! If you think its a law, please find it and post it.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 02:46 AM

So I guess I got lied to on the ATF part.

But, do you really want to buy ammo from a store that accepts exchanges?

What if that ammo was tampered with, and you're letting your kiddo shoot the gun, and the bullet blows the gun up?

Or, what if people buy loose packs of .22 ammo. Say a 500 round brick, take out a few. If they keep doing it, they will eventually have a lot, and someone is getting the short end of the stick.

Sorry my info was off, but I wouldn't accept ammo if I had my own store either.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:46 AM

I wonder about a store that will not stand up to special interest and take down their decor, or anything.
They have started down a slippery slope of not standing up for what they believe in.
They are not competing with Academy, BS and Cabelas.
They may not be around long.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I wonder about a store that will not stand up to special interest and take down their decor, or anything.
They have started down a slippery slope of not standing up for what they believe in.
They are not competing with Academy, BS and Cabelas.
They may not be around long.

they're actually competing and doing well. Have you ever been into a gun world Gander?

The remodel Amarillo store is. Academy now doesn't have half the guns they have, they'd be lucky if they have a quarter. So, that is a lot more sales, and if it's like it used to be, they can order dang near any gun you want.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 04:08 AM

whats gander mtn going to do when someone walks in and says theyre offended by all the guns on display?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 04:50 AM

I honestly don't see how GM makes it. The store here in Corsicana is almost always empty. The times I have been to the Tyler location it is not much better. Drove by the one in Conroe on Black Friday weekend-looked like about 20-25 cars in the lot.
Posted By: LAG - CW

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 07:18 AM

I will go without, before I go to Gander Mountain! The more I think about it, the more I want to see them close down...
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 02:58 PM

[quote=Texas Fight]

What do you do with the flesh of deer or ducks or coyotes? Eat it? Make pillows and rugs? How is mounting itdisrespectful?? Never heard anyone, including anti hunters say this
Posted By: Axis308

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:15 PM

I've had one dealing with GM, and I must say the guy was helpful....but I did go to Academy and saved $50 on a pistol.
Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:22 PM

I'm offended that they took the heads down!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:51 PM

Getting all riled up at a teenaged retail worker for following prompts on a register, wow, don't forget your blood pressure medicine today, heaven forbid the kid at the dry cleaners asks if you have any plans for the weekend. ...
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/09/13 03:57 PM

Funny how everyone gets bent outa shape about an animal mount but the fish mounts don't ever catch any mess... yes i know they are replicas but most ARA people arnt going to know that. i think ours still has a few up... im hanging mine up in my office next week...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/10/13 03:25 AM

Yes I have been to Gander in San Antonio, several times, and haven't bought a thing. In my experience they are not competing at all. Any major item that I have priced at Academy was cheaper than Gander. But maybe that is just the things that are in my interest. True that Academy doesn't have the selection, but if they have it, you'll save a few bucks.
Back to topic, I hope they change their stance and not let the whining special interest few dictate what the majority wants.
Posted By: OldTexan

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/10/13 08:31 PM

Good grief, there sure are some anal folks running around. I shop at them all and look for prices and deals. Every type of store, big or little, chain or independent has a few employees that don't know, are rude, and/or lazy. Just the way it is.

I look out for myself and take the good with the bad.

That being said, I've had good and bad at Gander. I've found good deals there and bought. I've also found prices out of my slot so I didn't buy.

As far as the mounts, I'd prefer they didn't give in, but they have to stay in business and a lot of folks shop there for non hunting related merchandise so it's likely a thought out business decision. Unless we understand their bottom line goals/situation it's hard to say what is best, but it's best for them if they did it in their opinion.

Now if they start adhering to anti-gun rights nutz, I have a whole different opinion and will let my feeling be know at the GM corporate level. And with them taking down the mounts, they are on my radar.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/11/13 03:13 AM

In response to those that questioned my post. YOU WERE NOT THERE, she wasnt a teenager with no clue, and I really dont need you to comment on my need for blood pressure medication, as you dont know me and I think that kind of comment is inappropiate.

Having said that, I was not happy with their customer service, and I said, I have NEVER BEEN ASKED WHAT TYPE OF WEAPON IM USING THE AMMO FOR. In my opinion, as the original post was about them bowing to outside pressure, i feel the questioning at the counter was along those lines as well.

I apologize if it seemed I was part of hijacking the thread, it seemed along the same lines to me. Just giving my humble opinion.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/11/13 03:19 AM

Having said that, I was not happy with their customer service, and I said, I have NEVER BEEN ASKED WHAT TYPE OF WEAPON IM USING THE AMMO FOR. In my opinion, as the original post was about them bowing to outside pressure, i feel the questioning at the counter was along those lines as well.

Well, lucky for you, I set you straight bc your opinion was wrong. How do I know, I worked there.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/11/13 04:17 AM

This comment is to all the ones who can only badmouth stores. On the two occasions I asked Gander Mountain to match advertised prices they agreed, once with Cabelas and once with Bass Pro, saving me a 60 mile drive, which time and money is considerable. I bought a used Benelli Nova, and when I pointed out the regular Nova comes with three chokes they gave me two new chokes. They sold Blitz fuel cans for $2,00, tell me where you buy them cheaper. One lady THFer once commented how she was slighted by a sales person at Cabelas. None of you like Cheaper than Dirt. Talk about getting hung with a new rope.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/11/13 05:55 AM

Wow that was an arrogant statement. Correcting my opinion. Thanks for setting me straight.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/11/13 06:13 AM

You're welcome. It wasn't arrogant. You had an opinion, and you don't know the circumstances. I had a fact knowing the circumstances and whys.
Posted By: pinkmist black hog down

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/12/13 04:23 PM

Very high prices, but I still check there bcuz they sometimes have good deals. Its rare but worth stopping in to look.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 01:54 AM

I Can't Stand Gander Mountain...When you do find a deal its on backorder, I ordered a pair of boots in July, received email Oct 2..3days after Archery opener...they was still on BO, another time found a scope online, called Corsicanna store to make sure in stock before the 2 hr drive, and arrived to receive a raincheck....They would be doing the Hunters in America a big favor by closing the doors!! Taking The animals down in there stores is fine with me, Nobody there Shot them anyways!!
Posted By: tan2sie17

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 12:02 PM

Cheaper Than Dirt doesn`t deserve us as customers. I don`t understand how a brand so popular like them can screw things so much till the point people write hundreds of web pages of bad reviews against them.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 12:49 PM

My Buddy's from Pleasanton purchased a 25-06 and scope and had them mount and boresight it yesterday Rings were loose, no loctite , scope not leveled. They just learned how to mount a scope last week and when this wouldn't hold zero called me. Almost never trust others to do correctly those things you can do yourself. Directions for most scopes and rings don't call for loctite but they did not consider riding in a Texas pickup truck year round.
Posted By: tgrghostrider

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 01:29 PM

We have the Mounts up here in the middle of the OBAMANATION known as PALM BEACH COUNTY, as of about two days ago. I am sure that they will have them down soon though. The closest other "Hunting" store is 70 miles away, OUTDOOR World... But there is a rumor floating around that we are to be getting a Cabela's soon about 10 miles from the Gander Mt. As for pricing you just have to be there at the right time for some sales. I just picked up A.E. .223 rem 55gr FMJ for $6.00/box.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 02:24 PM

Gander Mountain sends me fliers. I sometimes immediately throw them in the recycle bin, sometimes look through them. Now I will void ever looking through them again. Gander soured me when I learned I could load 165gr Sierra Game Kings in .308 Win for $9/ box. Academy was $35, and Gander was $50 !

That was four years ago, and they have not received another dime from me, since. Now that I know they don't have a spine, and cave to hippie liberals, I have even more dislike for them.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Gander Mountain sends me fliers. I sometimes immediately throw them in the recycle bin, sometimes look through them. Now I will void ever looking through them again. Gander soured me when I learned I could load 165gr Sierra Game Kings in .308 Win for $9/ box. Academy was $35, and Gander was $50 !

That was four years ago, and they have not received another dime from me, since. Now that I know they don't have a spine, and cave to hippie liberals, I have even more dislike for them.

Did you ask Gander if they would match Academy? Or just swear off them because they were higher priced at that moment. Not wanting to argue, just asking. I have only asked them two times, both on firearms, and they matched the lower prices.
Posted By: OldTexan

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/13/13 09:28 PM

Reading threads like this one explains how we end up with the idiot politicians we have ruining our nation and why we have so many stupid laws that are dumbing down our kids.

If you don't like the way GM or a business operates don't go there. Easy enough. But what good does it do to make it into a rant. If things are as bad to others, they will fail on their own.

If I don't like someplace, I just don't go there. If I don't like a TV show or type of music or a movie or the atmosphere/service/food at a restaurant, I don't watch, listen, or go there.

I live in the USA. I have choices. I have freedom to choose. If I bitch too much and too loud though, people and politicians listen, whether I'm right or wrong and fell obligated to change things and take away my choices.

Cashiers and workers, young and old work in these places and go by the rules, same was we all do at our jobs. If they're told to check ages and IDs, it their jobs and it isn't personal. Being cranky, stubborn, indignant, and short sighted over answering a several second question is a bout as foolish and a waste of time as I've ever heard. What point is being proven to throw a fit and blow something simple out of proportion? Do it enough and some idiot politician or activist will use it as way to take away other more serious rights.

When we focus on all these little things we are missing the big things we need to be aware of....If GM goes beyond taking down mounts and starts removing guns or enacts anti gun rules, then the time has come to boycott, fight, bitch, and do serious business.

Be prepared and quit squawking over the little stuff. You have options and you have the freedom to use them. Be wise and be aware or all that could go away because you got distracted by the little stuff......
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/14/13 03:11 AM

What OT said plus a bunch !!!!

Or as I used to pound into my kids eardrums ...Stop whining ...don't sweat the small stuff....if you don't like it you can leave anytime...
and my all time fav was Grow Up and learn what's important and what's not...Lifes too short for ....
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/14/13 04:42 AM

^^^^^^^^ At the end of the day. What really matters?
Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/14/13 03:46 PM

Gander has a great gun selction. However my experience is everything is overpriced and the customer service sucks. The last time I went in there looking for my son a gun I stood at the counter waiting 20 minutes for help. Not one person asked me if he could assist. I moreless had to track down someone to help me. Matter of fact I always feel like I am bugging them for assistance. Unless they have something other stores don't carry I try to stay away.
Posted By: ct12555

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/15/13 03:40 PM

Don't buy much there anyway. Over priced.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/16/13 01:11 AM

That's because your paying double the price at Gender Mountain
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

The racks of ammo where full unlike my local Academy, which seems to always be out of what I need, when I need it.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/16/13 06:05 PM

About the only thing I shop Gander for regularly is Reloading Powder. Everbody that does not shop there forget what I just said hammer

GM has been the only place I've found powder in years past, and even at their higher prices by the time I figger a 100 miles roundtrip worth of gas to Cabellas in Allen in the deal, GM's prices are a bargain! without having to buy enough at a time to justify a HazMat fee. clap
Ron
Posted By: ct12555

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/17/13 01:14 AM

[quote=WileyCoyote]About the only thing I shop Gander for regularly is Reloading Powder.

Now this is true.......
Posted By: Quick Shoot Again

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/17/13 02:56 AM

When we moved from Lubbock I placed several mounts there on a loaner basis for a couple of years. One year out and I get a call, come pick up your mounts we have to get them out of the store. My son who still lives there went and picked them up and was told by one of the minions that they had told him they were getting ready to remodel? Who knows.
Posted By: Grnhead78

Re: Gander Mountain - 12/17/13 07:35 PM

Here is a crazy story. I had an hours to kill the other night so I went to the new GM in Round Rock. I enjoyed being out of the house for a while, looked at a great gun selection, picked up some hard to find ammo, a pair of sox that were on sale and some ear plugs I needed for the gun bag. I checked out and left as a satisfied customer.

Also, if the last story wasn't crazy enough, try this one: Before deer season I purchased a pop up blind there because I was A)already on that side of town B)needed a pop up blind C)they had it in stock where as Academy did not. So I left again, as a happy customer. Shocking, I know.

I personally like having another option in the Austin area for outdoor/hunting/fishing related stuff. More options for the consumer is always a good thing.

Re: Gander Mountain - 01/24/14 10:53 PM

I was there yesterday and wanted to buy Winchester PDX1 for my AK, $32 something plus tax compared to Academy at $26.
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: Gander Mountain - 01/25/14 03:01 AM

1. you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo
2. you have to be 18 to buy rifle ammo
3. she was following the rules and that's why she asked which it was for (which only happens on 22 btw). No matter where you buy ammo they make them put in your birthday like that, same with alcohol.
4. You're going to give yourself a damn heart attack if you flip out over someone asking your damn birthday. I'd hate to see what happens when a sales person asks you what your shoe size was when shopping for shoes!
NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS WHAT MY SHOESIZE IS!!! I'M NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Gander Mountain - 01/26/14 03:55 PM

I have been to GM a few times, but never bought anything. They either didn't have what I was looking for or it was way overpriced compared to other stores. Doubt I will go back unless I am on a hunt and in a pinch (and there are no other retailers in the area).
Posted By: lwestbrook

Re: Gander Mountain - 01/28/14 12:47 PM

GM used to have some good deals. I found that Academy usually has a better price on most items. They have also price matched for me on some mojo's before. As far as going to the gun counter it won't happen.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum