Texas Hunting Forum

New to Texas, want to start hunting.

Posted By: RobBarnes

New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 07:03 AM

I just moved here to Amarillo from Washington state. I was wondering how exactly hunting works down here. In Washington we had lots of public land to hunt on. I haven't been able to get out and scout around because I don't know where to look. From a quick glance on the maps, I saw a small creek west of Lake Tanglewood, TimberCreek Canyon, and the Palo Duro State park. Are any of these useable hunting spots? I'm looking to hunt waterfowl, and deer mostly. Anything else will come in time. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Seadog

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 07:56 AM

I don't much about public land hunting but you can find a lot of info on the TPWD site!!! Welcome to Texas and the forum!!!
Posted By: kamolaw

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 12:19 PM

Welcome to Texas and yes look at TxParks&Wildlife website, has the info you will need for public hunting and fee. Good luck and welcome to THF lot of good info here. texas
Posted By: Curtis

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 12:44 PM

I dont know much about hunting that area of Texas, but welcome to the Texas Hunting Forum and WELCOME TO TEXAS!
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 12:51 PM

Hunting is allowed around Lake Meredith as well. But you will soon discover that public hunting areas are few and far between in Texas. Best bet would try and join a group of hunters that lease property.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/19/13 02:11 PM

Welcome to the great state. Public hunting here is not what you are accustomed to. We have much less land available to hunt and a lot more people trying to hunt it that can't afford to pay for a private land lease. You might want to post in the deer hunting forum the area you live in and that you would like to have hunters in the area pm you about openings they might have on private land hunting leases.
Posted By: smh264

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/20/13 07:34 PM

Just surprises me that it took you so long to realize you needed to be in TX instead of the liberal compound known as Washington state. Hey Curtis: I hauled two loads of mushroom compost from your great city this week. Smells Great!!
Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/20/13 11:18 PM

Welcome! You moved to a killer area for hunting.

I'll tell you the only two things I know about Amarillo. Don't live near the stockyard. And if you think it was cold up north, you ain't seen nothing yet. When I was a kid, Amarillo had the nickname of Texas' Icebox. If you're into American history, you're in a rich place for that too.
Posted By: OlyMedic

Re: New to Texas, want to start hunting. - 03/21/13 10:31 AM

I was born in raised in WA, currently stationed in TX at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio. They do have WMA's (wildlife management areas, ie. public hunting grounds) in Texas (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/) but not nearly like we are used to in WA. As mentioned above, it seems like the best route is to find a good lease or better yet, a good group of folks willing to share a lease. I'll admit I haven't actually tried any of the WMA's (yet), but thats only because I lucked upon a few military friendly leases that haven't cost me anything more than donating my time and effort.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum