Texas Hunting Forum

chocolate or the spotted fallow?

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 02:31 AM

2,500 to shoot one of these fallow. Is this a good deal or is there better for this price? I have never hunted for this breed so any suggestions are welcomed. I am thinking the chocolate but wanted some other opinions. so chocolate or the spotted? Pics are not the best but you can at least see them.

Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:04 AM

That's a pretty spotted fallow. I've always loved a good lookin' chocolate though. It's the 2500 dollar question??? Do I pull the trigger or not?
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:08 AM

It's a little tough to tell on the size they look nice but I can't tell how nice. 2500 is a little higher than average for fallow but it depends how big the are.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:50 AM

This size were going for 1800$ at porters a couple months ago but if they havent dropped they will very soon, i havent been out in about a month. Is it worth 2500$ to u is what matters
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:50 AM

Spotted. And it's just money... The government makes more of it everyday.

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:51 AM

Dropped horns that is, average for a good fallow is 1800$ range and BIg fallow go up from there, this one was gold medal and so was mikes the same weekend

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 03:52 AM

Oh and it wont matter which one you shoot, you will want all 3 color phases on the wall lol
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 05:10 AM

X2 on bbd84's words. 2500 is a pretty good price, not a steal from the looks of things. If he gets into silver or gold status then it's a pretty good deal based in what good fallow have run live sale last time I checked. Personally from the pics spotted for the win!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
Oh and it wont matter which one you shoot, you will want all 3 color phases on the wall lol
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 01:28 PM

Spotted
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/16/13 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
2,500 to shoot one of these fallow. Is this a good deal or is there better for this price?

As far as is it a good deal or not, I look at the the entire hunt as well as the taking of the animal. $2,500.00 for a 2-3 day hunt where you get the experience of hunting, being outdoors and being challenged along with the bringing home a trophy is a good value. To go sit in a blind for an hour or two, shoot the trophy and go home would not be worth the money to me.
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/17/13 10:41 AM

If that was our ranch I'd charge less than $2500 for him. But like others have said its all relative. If you're at a 5 star lodge and having a blast then it's worthy of the bill. I'd see what history they had of killing animals in the past and try to compare their "average" trophy to those then base my decision on that. Base your price off of experience and the animal combined. Best of luck and be sure to post pics.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/17/13 05:58 PM

I would pass on both. The spotted looks a little young and short beams. The chocolate photo is just took poor to tell.

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 05:56 AM

thank you everyone. I know the guide I have been hunting with him on three different trips. I will have a good time and it is a 5 star place to stay notg to mention I will be there with my father. I can get anouther white tail from him or take one of these fallow thats what I was wonderig either way I will go kill something just a matter what. I dont want to pay 2500 dollars if this was a rip off. so I will enjoy myself no questions asked but is 2500 worth this fallow? here are a few more pics of it not that great but maybe yall can get a better idea of it and if its worth the 2500.

Posted By: jdk1985

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 11:11 AM

I'm a Chocaholic

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 05:16 PM

IMHO no, the spotted one heck no and the choc looks to have a nice palm but its split and not that big. If it was me i wouldnt pay 2500$ for either of those bucks.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 07:53 PM

I'm still on same opinion. The spotted looks like he's got horns of a typical two year old. And if he's not two years old, he needs to be culled out quickly, but not worth $2500 or half that even. Looks like his bez and browse tines are not long either and short on beam length.

The chocolate has split palms and at best it may hit 4" palms. The splits are just secondary palmated tines and the palmation is not scored on those but off the main beams. It can be confusing. He's got a nice spread and he appears mature, but in my opinion, that is genetic and he will have that very similar horn feature next year and even pass it on to the other fallows. When I used to breed them you could see it come out that way. Been there..done that. That is a management fallow buck and not worth $2500 IMHO.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 08:27 PM

Chocolate Fallow taste better.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/18/13 10:16 PM

Living in Bandera County and building fence and installing elec gates ect the past 25 or more years and having run a number of ranches in all three adjoining counties..I have some exp. w/Fallows..not my chosen choice of game..Once you kill several, you may agree..My buddy in Tarpley had several on his 100 acres
and when he had some fairly good trophies about a yr or two ago he got $1300 ea for them..they gentle like cows..came to his house every day..DD

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/19/13 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: TSU99
Chocolate Fallow taste better.

so you like the dark meat bolt
Posted By: TSU99

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/19/13 02:00 PM

Hmmmm.
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: chocolate or the spotted fallow? - 03/19/13 06:28 PM

I'd offer $1500 at best on them. Definitely not a $2500 fallow. Unless he has a $500 a day cost for meals and guides.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum