Texas Hunting Forum

New article on Caliber Choice in Texas

Posted By: TexasOutfitters

New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 05:45 PM

I just posted an article by George Sakai of South Texas Trophy Outfitters discussing caliber choice when hunting in Texas.

Also covers sectional density.

http://www.greatlifesportsnews.com/category/hunting/
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:02 PM

Well I agree with him 100% about .243/.25-06 as the baseline.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:10 PM

That's a good baseline. I get annoyed with the etx, can't see anywhere stereotype though.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:16 PM

I like .243, that's what I use.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

for 99% of deer hunting, if people would just find some middle ground they would be alright.

They either want to use a .223 or .22-250 exclusively or shoot a .300 wsm to take a 100 yard shot

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
That's a good baseline. I get annoyed with the etx, can't see anywhere stereotype though.

Me and you both. My best buck was shot at almost exactly 300 yards..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:32 PM

My longest and shortest shots at deer were in east texas.

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 06:37 PM

My best was shot about 110 and I had to thread a needle through a low spot in 3yo clearcut regrowth. 180grs was my insurance that it would defect off leaves and stuff too much
Posted By: TxAg

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 09:54 PM

Written by our very own "Jorge" here at THF.

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 10:17 PM

He can't spell his name right?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/12/13 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

where did ya'll hunt at in east texas?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/13/13 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

for 99% of deer hunting, if people would just find some middle ground they would be alright.

They either want to use a .223 or .22-250 exclusively or shoot a .300 wsm to take a 100 yard shot

You've noticed that, too, huh?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/13/13 01:34 AM

I bet it was between El Paso and Shreveport.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:15 AM

I can spell my name but since I live in McAllen, Mexico oh I'm sorry Texas, 99% of the time they say "yorge?" with a puzzeled look. You mean whore-hay lol. It kinda stuck and I'm half mexi so it works for down here, gots to blend in guys not a local.

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge
I can spell my name but since I live in McAllen, Mexico oh I'm sorry Texas, 99% of the time they say "yorge?" with a puzzeled look. You mean whore-hay lol. It kinda stuck and I'm half mexi so it works for down here, gots to blend in guys not a local.

I vote for you to change your username over to that... quit saying we can't see nowhere in ETX and you can change it back.
Posted By: rockinrdranch

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:33 AM

Cool article.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:46 AM

He can't spell his name right?

Says he who had insurance that his bullet would defect. Fixed it for you

My best was shot about 110 and I had to thread a needle through a low spot in 3yo clearcut regrowth. 180grs was my insurance that it would not deflect off leaves and stuff too much

Yea I know I have a lot of typos not caught before posting bolt

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:53 AM

I had an excuse at 1:37 yesterday afternoon..something was going on that had my attention at the Doctor's office more than forum.

David < spelled right! not Day-vid...
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 01:08 AM

Jorge or George, either way it is a well written article.

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 01:54 AM

As one clients and now good friend put it "using Jorge kinda makes ya indigineous huh" it helps down here fellas, whole different world!!!!

And I have a great excuse I practically live in Mexico.

I recant that east, tx shots are 50-75 yards. I was speaking in generalities. Always a critic out there. smile

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 01:57 AM

It would be da-veed down here bro lol
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 02:42 AM

Good Read

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 04:10 AM

I'd settle with Chuy....
Posted By: TXMikeMcC

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 11:42 AM

Good article, and I too agree on the 6mm/257 as the functional baseline for Texas Whitetail.

I've seen a few folks shoot deer with .223s and the like, and while it's technically killed them just as dead, the margin for error is much greater. On a related note, I've also come across a living deer with 2/3rd it's skull missing while out varmint hunting at night (deer was standing in a creek that was 2-3 ft deep and completely unresponsive to my presence) ; I always just assumed it was shot with a smaller caliber that deflected off hard bone. It was a sad sight.

Bottom line, if you're going after hogs and bigger deer, it's probably a good idea to leave the .224 based calibers in the gun safe. IMO a 260 Rem (or other 6.5 calibers) is just about the ideal Texas whitetail deer cartridge. (Highest SDs, close to the highest BC with 140grs, lethal out to even the longest hunting distances, and relatively low recoil). What's not to love about that?!?

Regardless of if you're hunting with a .204 Ruger or a .505 Gibbs, the most important thing is knowing how your rifle and scope will perform at varying ranges/conditions. If you have quality equipment, and know how to use it correctly, anything inside 300 yards should be sitting on your dinner table that evening. smile

Take Care.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:18 PM

I'd settle with Chuy....

what about Sancho?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

lol,,

One of my longest shots was in east tx on a big clear cut and im from the panhandle
Posted By: kleinwild

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 12:56 PM

I like how a lot of people over look the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 Rem. both are amazing rounds. Both in the field and on the bench.
Posted By: TXMikeMcC

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kleinwild
I like how a lot of people over look the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 Rem. both are amazing rounds. Both in the field and on the bench.

See two posts above. smile

The 6.5mm/264 bore just hasn't caught on in the states like it should of. I think with the explosion of information exchange of today's society, people are starting to get more exposed to those cartridges, and as a result are inherently more accepting.

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 02:23 PM

I agree on the 6.5 getting passed over by many guys, one of my favorites in the safe is my 260. The .264 family offers the best sd, and the 6.5x55 swede has taken just about everything in Europe, reason I left it off the table is I picked two calibers 25-06 and 243 for several reasons. Ease of buying ammunition virtually anywhere, familiarity, and cost of ammo while there isn't a big difference good 260 rem is pricey in comparison to 243 win. Also, for reloading there is a plethora of info for the 243 Win and 25-06. Not that the BR guys or F-Class guys haven't put 260 data out their most loads in doing my own research were tailored to precision shooting not necessarily hunting. An A-max or Smk can work I've used them there are better tools for the job like an Accubond or SST.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 02:33 PM

First of all, great article. Well written.

Secondly, I don't think you can include too many calibers in an article like that because you'll loose alot of reader with technical info overload.

Mostly, I'm just glad you didn't end the article with "270 is the best of all calibers and nothing comes close to second here in Texas." Nothing annoys me more than that.
Posted By: kleinwild

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike McCasland
Originally Posted By: kleinwild

See two posts above. smile

The 6.5mm/264 bore just hasn't caught on in the states like it should of. I think with the explosion of information exchange of today's society, people are starting to get more exposed to those cartridges, and as a result are inherently more accepting.

I seen the post lol. I said a lot of people not all people. I have the .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 6.5-284. All three shoot great and the ballistics of all three are flat out nuts.
Posted By: Crawdaddct

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 10:41 PM

My longest shot was south Texas, Axis deer about 220 yards with a 243. That deer ran a good 150 yrds before keeling over. I normally shoot 7MM or 8MM depending on the distance. East Texas, my 180 Grn 8MM normally does the trick.
Posted By: godfather

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 10:56 PM

Very good article, the author did a great job of keeping it general enough to be inclusive but specific enough to pass on some good info.
Posted By: riverdog

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/14/13 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

lol,,

One of my longest shots was in east tx on a big clear cut and im from the panhandle

Very good article.

Yep, I am from East tx, but have hunted in a few places around the country...I do not know what it is like now, but growing up in the late 60's and early 70's before I left for college and never returned to live....we spent time hunting the right of ways on pipelines and transmission lines...those shots can get pretty long, not your usual brush distances. My longest shot ever was on a right of way in Cass County. We always just took a different gun depending on where we were gonna hunt. 30-30 and .35 in woods/brush and .243 in the clear.

I have since discovered the 6.55 X 55 and have found it to be outstanding. This is not meant as a slam at the person who wrote the article in "any" way. I have noticed in a couple of places, not just on THF where the 6.5 get left of the list of solid calibers because you can't run down to the local MaoMart and get ammo. Even if you do not load your own, geezzzz plan ahead, buy enough ammo to get it done.

Oh, maybe it is like some of the guys we shared a field with on opening weekend for dove season three or four years ago...showed up for opening weekend for all day Saturday and Sunday morning with one box shells each "daaaa which way did they go, which way did they go."

Which leads me to a question I may ask someday...after your gun is sighted in and you have practiced enough to make you happy...how many rounds do you really expend in a year of hunting?
Posted By: Black Ice

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/15/13 01:21 AM

I shot a doe this year at 350 of the front of my buddies Polaris ranger with my .300 win mag mag. I prefer to shoot a .243 or .308 for Texas whitetail but I was after a Nilgai and shot a whitetail instead.
Posted By: Black Ice

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/15/13 01:22 AM

My next caliber will be a .257 wheatherby.
Posted By: TEXPRO

Re: New article on Caliber Choice in Texas - 03/15/13 01:51 AM

x2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum