Texas Hunting Forum

new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs

Posted By: dylanpelt99

new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:56 AM

what kind of bait can I put in my feeder
Posted By: hunt-and-fish

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:58 AM

Just corn works.

You can also try mixing it with powdered cherry jello before putting it in the feeder.

Or, take a 5 gal. bucket, fill it half way with corn and pour some beer in it. Let it sit a few days and dump it for the hogs, they'll go crazy over it.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 06:41 AM

Especially when it is dry, sweetfeed works well and depending on corn prices can be cheaper than corn. I sometimes mix it with the corn as well. The deer like it as do the hogs and coons.
Posted By: Hogkellum

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 12:44 PM

Just plain ole corn does a good job we have tried the pigout and hog wild with little difference. Digging a hole with a post hole digger and then filling with corn does keep one or two hanging around after the other corn has been eaten.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogkellum
Just plain ole corn does a good job we have tried the pigout and hog wild with little difference. Digging a hole with a post hole digger and then filling with corn does keep one or two hanging around after the other corn has been eaten.
This works well. Don't put the sweet feed in the feeder though, the molasses in it will clump up and clog the feeder. Dig a hole and pour it in .
Posted By: cameron00

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 04:11 PM

Tying a burlap sack to a tree and soaking it in diesel also appeals to hogs, for some reason.

Weird animals.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Tying a burlap sack to a tree and soaking it in diesel also appeals to hogs, for some reason.

Weird animals.

According to the old timers, the hogs learned that diesel acts like an repellent to ticks and flys. (?) My uncles would pour some in coffee can and bury it. The hogs would visit it enough they would have a wallow.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 04:48 PM

Yeah, I didn't believe my buddy when he told me to do it (thought he was screwing with me to keep all of the animals away from my stand), but the hogs absolutely wore that burlap sack out. The ground beneath it was covered in coarse hog hair and the sack itself was coated in mud from them rubbing against it so hard.

Filthy beasts.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:18 PM

They are filthy, but oh they taste so good.
Posted By: Glowka

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:26 PM

We are having a ridiculous amount of success using plain corn and tossing a cup of Goat Kid Milk Replacement (powder) over it.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dylanpelt99

corn
Posted By: redchevy

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Originally Posted By: dylanpelt99

corn

x2

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:46 PM

This is what corn does to them.
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 05:54 PM

Corn is absolutely the best. Plain corn.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

This is what corn does to them.
That is making me hungry right now... nidea BBQ for lunch?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 06:29 PM

Quote:
Don't put the sweet feed in the feeder though, the molasses in it will clump up and clog the feeder.

I have heard this, but have never had it happen. My only complaint with sweet feed is that it melts in the rain.

In fact, I used it for several months exclusively in my feeders last year during the drought when corn went up so high and never had a problem.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 07:19 PM

Yep I vote for plain corn also, I tried all kinds of stuff for a couple of years and have settled on corn.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 07:34 PM

Have a customer that traps hogs. Had not trapped a hog in over a month. Told her about mixing corn with a 1.75 bottle of Big Red.

Her husband did it. Had 3 sows in the trap the next morning.
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 07:45 PM

Like everyone has said, corn is fine. The key, though, is not to let your feeder run out or get plugged, or battery die on you. That also means, set the timer for every couple hours, for short intervals, at say: 6 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:45 pm. This way the darn other animals won't have everything cleaned up when the hogs finally arrive. Don't do much good if hogs show up at 8, and coons & deer ate everything at 7.
Also, for a treat, get a big barrel & whip up some sour corn mash. Just toss around the feeder hogs go crazy. The more rotten & sour the better.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 07:46 PM

corn + old fish fry oil my second choice to just corn.
Posted By: Paul Sonnier

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 11:53 PM

Corn, mixed with dry Chery Jello!

Also hear the diesel works to, but have not tried it..
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/25/13 11:57 PM

Indian corn.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
Indian corn.
I've heard that they really enjoy it and it makes them stick around the feeder longer... Anyone else hear this? confused2
Posted By: Coach Floyd

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 02:36 AM

Corn. You may also think about a pig pipe.
Posted By: BTL

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 03:06 AM

When are guys hunting the "hog cocktail" (diesel, big red, or whatever) after you bury it? Do you wait a few days or that night?

I can never figure this out because I've tried sprinkling jello/koolaid on the ground w/corn and have never had any luck that night.

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 03:08 AM

Let me be the first to suggest "corn".
Posted By: cos

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 04:13 AM

I have caught 27 in the last 3 weeks using plain corn, but i do sometimes pour rasberry jello on the corn i put in the hole i dig with posthole diggers. Am fixen to have to start putting a small amount of diesel on the corn in my best trap because the deer are on to the corn, even going through the push in funnel.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 04:22 AM

Pigs will eat about anything...

Posted By: aeb

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 02:26 PM

I have PVC pig pipes and fill them with corn. Works.
Posted By: C'mere

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 02/26/13 02:54 PM

In our pipe feeders we use corn and a sprinkle of Hog Wild powder.

We also dig holes and layer corn sprinkled with Hog Wild and then when the hole is filled we compact the dirt and sprinkle a bit of Hog Wild around the hole but leave no corn because the deer, turkeys, raccoons, and crows will eat it.

We'll make some sour mash and use plastic milk jugs and hang them from tree branches about 100 feet from the pipe feeders and the holes we dug.

We'll also sprinkle diesel fuel on the nearby tree trunks.

A tip if you hunt tube feeders at night: attach (securely), a cow bell to the feeder. When the hogs push the feeder, the bell will clang and you know when to light it up with your night light. It really works and doesn't scare the hogs.

BTW: Anyone who hunted this weekend, how was your results? We took one hog and 4 of our 5 feeders were either not touched or very little, leaving a lot of corn. Also, only one hole of buried corn/Hog Wild mixture was messed with. We were thinking it was the moon phase as we have experienced poor hunting during other full moon phases.
Posted By: dilleydog7

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/02/13 04:56 PM

corn, but have found they really like it if you pop it for them, than cover that with diesel!
Posted By: thebowfisher

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/06/13 08:17 PM

Plain corn for me!
Posted By: tchunter

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/07/13 09:28 PM

corn and mix in some grape tang
Posted By: Lever Action Jackson

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/09/13 03:12 AM

Like everyone else says"CORN"
Posted By: Aceh0le

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/09/13 04:09 AM

I go by the local grocery store and they give me the rotten produce. That's seems to help and they go to that before they hit the corn under the feeder
Posted By: easttexasbucks

Re: new to hog hunting what kind of bait can i put in my deer feeder for hogs - 03/09/13 02:31 PM

unfortunately corn works just fine
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum