Texas Hunting Forum

Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market

Posted By: DQ Kid

Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 01:48 AM

In terms of purchasing ranching property, I am thinking about possibly purchasing a larger ranch than I currently own in Young County. I have been told by a friend at the advice of his rancher buddy, that there is an overproliferation of property on the market, thus making it a buyer's market. He said that even if property is priced at $1600-$2000, a person that offers $1200-$1500 may be able to score some property. What say the forum on this?
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 01:53 AM

Money Talks

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 01:54 AM

True, but for $400-$500 per acre under the asking price?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 02:07 AM

Perhaps. 25% off asking price seems steep drop - but it doesn't hurt to offer. The worst they can say is no.

I know of one ranch that was purchased at 17% below list. Of course, I know another one that was finally sold over the original asking price.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 02:15 AM

We bought ours for $710 per acre under asking price.
My sisters neighbor in Blanco county bought the 240 acres next to him for $1100 per acre under asking price.
My cousin paid $430 per acre less than asking for their place in ETx.

We made offers on places the owner wouldn't take $10 per acre less.
There is a ton of land for sale that will never be sold unless the owners price is met or bettered.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 02:19 AM

Money talks and some peoples land is paid for and they wont budge much cause they dont have to sell it to get by.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 02:21 AM

Wow Rustler, good stuff there..
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 03:04 AM

places go for what they go for.

However,If you go around lowballing everybody people will eventually catch wind and not want to even show you property

as far as the market is concerned, it really depends on what area you are in, the market can vary greatly from county to county

PM me if you need/want more advice
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 03:12 AM

Money is cheap right now.. take advantage.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 03:38 AM

I hear you Trophy, I was simply surprised when my friend's large rancher friend said that "what people want per acre right now, isn't necessarily what they'll accept". I was kind of shocked to be honest with you.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 03:46 AM

Problem is fixing to be paying the taxes on inherited property. Therefore forcing the sale and my thoughts are driving the price down. Heirs just won't have the cash they need to keep the land.

I sell real estate one county away from Young. Lot of property here on the market but they priced it high. Some has sold some has stayed on the market for a while. Most hasn't com close to asking price but you only need a couple of comps.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 04:15 AM

Yes and No.

Money don't get much cheaper but then again if the stock market keeps going land is not going to keep up. I think a lot of speculators are out of land and back into stocks for now. If you live next to my buddy you'll get what you want. If you live near my lease you will never sell your property unless you border a well known land owner already who can buy what they want and could careless if it produced a 150 inch buck 10 years ago, lol. Location and condition seems to be the biggest factor. So much property is being inherited it is just crap though. Leased to a rancher who has over grazed and destroyed it. Just owning land isn't exactly cool unless it is taken care of, close to where the person lives and not a money pit. Don't advertise a tank when it is dry. Don't lie about wildlife. Most do though. There is tons of land for sale so if you have money you can find about anything it seems. At this point in my life I rather lease over 1,000 acres for less than $2,000 a year than put down $500,000 on a $2.5 million note for land that provides some dove, deer, and turkey. Since it has not gone up in value in 7 to 8 years what would the point to buy be?

The properties near my lease are all $2,900 and acre and higher and been on the market 3 plus years now. If it is under 100 acres it might sell but nothing over 100 has moved if it was just raw ranch land.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 05:23 AM

Our area seems to have gone up. Timber isn't bringing as much so they'll get their money when the property sells. Technically bc of a lower timber value it should be decreasing the land value, but not the case..

Best bet is to find someone in a gas production area who thought those monthly checks were a given and bit off more than they can chew on loans.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 05:49 AM

East Texas has gone up in value but didn't seem to have that giant run up like parts of west Texas. There is at least timber that holds value. Mesquites are worthless except for deer shade. E Tex appeals to more folks and has water. West Texas is bleak when it comes to water. You better have a well these days. Our lake has been low for 3 years and all tanks when dry last year. If I bought the land I would drill a few water wells in no time to build lakes. It is possible some thought they would see the $5,000 an acre bonus for drilling only to realize there is nothing to be drilled actually and it was just gas which is worthless now. Houston is interesting in that you can't go 360 degrees to find land like people in DFW can. I was just there. Nice place and great food but dang it is crowded compared to Dallas.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 06:06 AM

You can buy a ton to the north...there's not a timberco tract out there that isn't for sale if you've got the money. I'm considering getting a place out of the Porter/New Caney area for here so I can select cut it and make it pretty to sell to developers when we leave and head back further North.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
I hear you Trophy, I was simply surprised when my friend's large rancher friend said that "what people want per acre right now, isn't necessarily what they'll accept". I was kind of shocked to be honest with you.

it depends on alot of different factors.

A place in Blanco county, for instance, that is 250 acres and has a asking price of $8500/acre has a high likelyhood of selling for $1000/acre under asking price.

If your serious about buying land, find a good broker in that area and let him advise you on the market. The worst thing you can do is bank on the advice of a buddies friends cousin who works on a ranch
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 07:21 PM

I personally think its a buyer market right now. Economy isnt getting better anytime soon and ppl need money to pay there bills. Txtrophy85 is right, find a good broker that will work for you. Nothing is worse than doing all your own research on any property you are interested in. Believe me, I did this and now I realize how dumb I was doing everything myself. Good deals can be found, just got to look hard.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 07:29 PM

I think what people are willing to pay and or accept is as always a function of location. My property taxes went up quite a bit last year so I called the Co appraisal office to ask why. They told me it was nuts how much people were spending on land. As much as 3600.00/acre but mostly in the low 3000.00's. The closer you are to the major metropolitan areas the more it costs and the less they are willing to dicker.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
I think what people are willing to pay and or accept is as always a function of location. My property taxes went up quite a bit last year so I called the Co appraisal office to ask why. They told me it was nuts how much people were spending on land. As much as 3600.00/acre but mostly in the low 3000.00's. The closer you are to the major metropolitan areas the more it costs and the less they are willing to dicker.
Yes indeed. Prices are going up in some areas, especially the Edwards plateau. Properties around Comal, Blanco counties are going WAY up. They ain't making any more of it. Money is cheap right now, people are pouring into the state. The population of Texas is projected to double by 2040. bang

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 07:53 PM

That's why I want land in BFE... cities are getting bigger and small towns are getting smaller.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 07:58 PM

Like Txtrophy85 said, land is area specific. I know places that have sold for a 1000/acre less than asking and I know places that were asking less than 1000/acre total. Its all relative to where its at.

Finding a good agent local to where you want to buy land is a good idea.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 08:00 PM

My brother owns land in Northern Colorado County between Frelsburg and Columbus. Appraised at $15k/acre just because his address has Zimmerschiedt Ln in it. You wouldnt believe how much Houston folks are willing to pay to get out of the big city. Funny thing is there isnt a tree on the 30 acres, just flat pasture land.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 08:14 PM

improved pasture is going to be more expensive usually. In our buying area acreage with timber will run anywhere from 1500-3000 depending on maturity...improved pasture starts around 4000. Put about 100-200' elevation change on it compared to everything else around and it'll go for 10000-20000/acre as a homesite.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
improved pasture is going to be more expensive usually. In our buying area acreage with timber will run anywhere from 1500-3000 depending on maturity...improved pasture starts around 4000. Put about 100-200' elevation change on it compared to everything else around and it'll go for 10000-20000/acre as a homesite.
Yep it kinda' zucks, people come in and buy a small place for a high dollar and it pushes up taxes on everyone. We have to fight the appraisal district every year it seems. When we bought the family place back in '99, prices were around $500-$800 an acre. Now it's valued at around $3000-$4000 an acre, pure windfall for the county, yet they want more and more and MORE!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 08:30 PM

^^^ They always want more, more, and more.......

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/20/13 08:34 PM

I don't mind the prices shooting up b/c everything I have is ag exempt...and for instance if I can show I only owe 100K on something valued close to 1million, I'm sitting pretty at borrowing more $ to go buy some more.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:57 AM

I'm a realtor in Nueces county. I couldnt afford a ranch in South Texas so I looked up north. After looking at about 15 properties north of Abilene I purchased 160 acres in Dickens county in 2011. It was on the market for well over a year. The asking price was 128,000 or 800.00 per acre. The realtor was open with me with respect to the time on market. It had no water or fencing. It was in a trust with hiers wanting there share and out. After hagling back and fouth with the trustee for about 3 weeks we finally agreed to 570.00 and acre with 50% mineral rights. Time on market and and the eagerness of the owners is critical. Dont rush and never get emotional about the need for the property. I have not seen anything less than 800.00 an acre in that area since.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 04:03 AM

what year did you buy?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
I'm a realtor in Nueces county. I couldnt afford a ranch in South Texas so I looked up north. After looking at about 15 properties north of Abilene I purchased 160 acres in Dickens county in 2011. It was on the market for well over a year. The asking price was 128,000 or 800.00 per acre. The realtor was open with me with respect to the time on market. It had no water or fencing. It was in a trust with hiers wanting there share and out. After hagling back and fouth with the trustee for about 3 weeks we finally agreed to 570.00 and acre with 50% mineral rights. Time on market and and the eagerness of the owners is critical. Dont rush and never get emotional about the need for the property. I have not seen anything less than 800.00 an acre in that area since.

You bought out of an estate, estate sales typicaly sell for much less than john doe that decides he wants to sell his ranch. Sounds like you did good.

Buddy of mine was looking a while back and they found 1000 acres listed for 800 an acre near tilden, it did have production on it already though and they didnt like that.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Flashprism

You bought out of an estate, estate sales typicaly sell for much less than john doe that decides he wants to sell his ranch. Sounds like you did good.

Buddy of mine was looking a while back and they found 1000 acres listed for 800 an acre near tilden, it did have production on it already though and they didnt like that.

1000 acres in McMullen County for $800/acre was a long while back, unless there was a material defect on the property or something like that

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: newulmboy
^^^ They always want more, more, and more.......
You got that right newulm! In Erath they send out spotters in planes looking for new construction up in the hills. I guess they just buy these guys fuel and tell them to map coordinates. I was at the tax office once and sitting at the desk of the head appraisor, he pulled up photos of our house and all the outbuildings. My truck was parked outside the house in the photos. They had been there taking pics of our place while I was in the house totally unaware. We're 1.2 miles off blacktop on a rough caliche road. These fellers are sneaky.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 02:58 PM

Quote:
1000 acres in tilden for $800/acre was a long while back, unless there was a material defect on the property or something like that

I guess its been longer now that I think about it, but its been 1.5-2 years ago.

I never looked at the place, but he said it had production and drilling and they werent conveying any minerals.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:01 PM

Quote:
1000 acres in tilden for $800/acre was a long while back, unless there was a material defect on the property or something like that

I guess its been longer now that I think about it, but its been 1.5-2 years ago.

I never looked at the place, but he said it had production and drilling and they werent conveying any minerals.

had to be more than 2 years ago. nothing was for sale in mcmullen county for $800/acre 2 years ago. maybe 10 years ago now...

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:03 PM

If they are drilling and spacing them 80 acres then that would make sense. Drilling is going to ruin the scenery on a lot of ranches down there. Its hard to hide with mesquites. At night it is bright as a city with all the gas flares in some parts. But people are getting rich.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
If they are drilling and spacing them 80 acres then that would make sense. Drilling is going to ruin the scenery on a lot of ranches down there. Its hard to hide with mesquites. At night it is bright as a city with all the gas flares in some parts. But people are getting rich.

have you ever been to mcmullen county?
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:04 PM

There is 10 acres at Lake Stamford on Craigslist for $10,000.00 per acre with no house or utilities. Needless to say its been for sale for quite a while. I guess he thinks he's on Lake Tahoe instead of Lake Stamford. Unless it sits over a kimberlite pipe, there's no friggin way I'd pay 10k per acre.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:09 PM

No. Just La Salle and Dimmit this year. I assume it has more elevation.

What is going to happen to the land values when a ranch is drilled out and you have pads all over the place? It has to ruin part of the value in it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:15 PM

No. Just La Salle and Dimmit this year. I assume it has more elevation.

What is going to happen to the land values when a ranch is drilled out and you have pads all over the place? It has to ruin part of the value in it.

it definatly will affect value in a negative way. But not bring it down to $800/acre just yet. Might get down into the low teens though

Before all this drilling started taking place McMullen had a raw land value of $1700-$1800/acre and up in 06'-07'

Only time will tell how low the land value will get in McMullen and Northern La Salle.

One thing it will do, is make places in those counties that arn't getting drilled on that much more valuable

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:22 PM

Since yall keep bring up drilling in this thread, Im going to ask it here instead of starting a new thread. If you buy property with production on it, is there any way to obtain the lease agreement between the previous owner and drilling/oil company, or do you hire someone to get that information.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Quote:

had to be more than 2 years ago. nothing was for sale in mcmullen county for $800/acre 2 years ago. maybe 10 years ago now...

Nope it was pretty recent. Thats when they were looking. They looked at the property and pretty much didnt even consider it. I dont know what else may have been wrong with the property it may have had some sort of contamination or other issues.

All I know is it was around tilden had gravel county road frontage and was being drilled. I was thinking at first a year ago, but 2 years is right about when it was.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:26 PM

You should be able to get it from the seller if they are conveying minerals. My disclaimer- I'm not an Attorney. If you need solid answers that you can take to the bank, it would be money well spent to talk with one.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:31 PM

Since yall keep bring up drilling in this thread, Im going to ask it here instead of starting a new thread. If you buy property with production on it, is there any way to obtain the lease agreement between the previous owner and drilling/oil company, or do you hire someone to get that information.

A copy of the lease agreement is filed at the county courthouse of record. PITA to sort thru those old records in some small counties but it is there and done many years ago by hand and not on a computer. Landman can get you the info for a fee if you do not want to get it yourself.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:35 PM

Chevy,

Either your buddy was fibbing about the price, or there was something wrong with that property in a major way

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:39 PM

He dont joke when it comes to money. Im sure there was something wrong with it, he never said, but they went and looked at it and the next time I talked to him he said it was off the list. Im sure it had some kind of environmental problem.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:43 PM

Almost all of the new drills are directional. So that 80 acres will be a long and skinny rectangle. Sometimes the well pads are situated along the edge or boundary of a lease. RRC stipulates distance to drill from south, east, west and north lease boundaries. If the well pad site is on the south boundary then drilling north to north edge of the lease. The well pad might be 300' off the south boundary then they drill down and start the turn north. Entry point of the well might be another 900' north of the well pad the continue to the termination point to the north. Termination point might be 5000'+ to the north of the well pad and not visible. If all wells are drilled on a place like this then only thing seen is along the line where the well pads are spaced. Also some companies are drilling 2 to even 3 wells from one pad site in a wagon or fan pattern. Locations of pads depend on size and shape of property, poolings allowed in lease, and location of the pay zone down under it. Some companies put in tanks and equipment on the well location or lease acreage to gather product in while others only have a well head and then a flowline is buried to another locations with a gathering pod on it for a central location to gather from. Less visual on most of the land till you get to the pod location. Right now from what I can tell it has not effect the price that much of surface acreage for land values. A lot of landowners who have production will buy land adjacent to them for the surface only to increase their land holdings. Lot of money to be made in surface damages to those folks at this point.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:43 PM

He dont joke when it comes to money. Im sure there was something wrong with it, he never said, but they went and looked at it and the next time I talked to him he said it was off the list. Im sure it had some kind of environmental problem.

Was it down in the south end of the county next to the NAS bombing range?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:46 PM

Thanks Erath and Stx. I know the year when the lease agreement was signed (2009), but didnt get a copy of it at closing. The title company told me the previous owner was the one who signed the lease agreement because I was trying to make sure before we signed that the minerals they said we were getting, were actually coming to us.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Was it down in the south end of the county next to the NAS bombing range?

I thought it was on the south side but honestly really couldnt tell you. I sent him a couple listings I found and chewed the fat over what they looked at a little but that was about it. I was looking and finding stuff more in the area of the state I love, south texas. They ended up buying west of bracketville.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 04:32 PM

Not sure the production locations will hinder the value as your expecting. There has been drilling in my part of the woods for 60+ years, long before I was born.

It hasn't really effected the value around these parts for a while. Maybe back in the day but I guess when you grow up around it then you don't think much of the locations being there. I guess while the production is new there will be an effect but when it has been going on 10 years or so I doubt most people will take a second look.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:02 PM

Im not saying it was the production that was affecting the value.

This much activity is relatively new to the area and the seller was conveying NO minerals. I would also bet there were other on site factors as to why it was so cheap, but didnt go look.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:04 PM

I looked for 8 years before purchasing my land last year. It was only the second place I made an offer on. Best advice is to look for what you want and don't settle for less. Also, find out what land has SOLD for in your area. In my search, I found that land was selling for about 40% less than was what being asked for on average. Remember, realtors make more money if you PAY more for the property. It is a really messed up system IMO. My agent got his fee from the seller and I gave him a finders fee. My agent does not negotiate for me. He gives me ALL the comps and signs a disclosure. In God I trust, in all others, I don't!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:13 PM

I'd say hell no, it's not a buyer's market. But I live in a world where dirt farmers are turning into eagle ford shale millionaires overnight. I've worked on deals as high as $6250 an acre (it did include 75% of the producing minerals)and I have heard of much higher, and I just recently dealt with someone who was insisting that her unimproved Goliad County property was worth no less than $4250 an acre despite the fact that the ranch down the street sold several months before for $3250. Someone will come along and buy it though. Lots of money in South Texas right now.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:14 PM

This much activity is relatively new to the area and the seller was conveying NO minerals. I would also bet there were other on site factors as to why it was so cheap, but didnt go look.

i promise you it was something other than production to get it that low

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I looked for 8 years before purchasing my land last year. It was only the second place I made an offer on. Best advice is to look for what you want and don't settle for less. Also, find out what land has SOLD for in your area. In my search, I found that land was selling for about 40% less than was what being asked for on average. Remember, realtors make more money if you PAY more for the property. It is a really messed up system IMO. My agent got his fee from the seller and I gave him a finders fee. My agent does not negotiate for me. He gives me ALL the comps and signs a disclosure. In God I trust, in all others, I don't!

in most cases the realtor gets paid from the seller and only from the seller.

that is not uncommon.

Would you get an attorney or just go it alone if you happened to get sued?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:17 PM

Some areas in McMullen, LaSalle, Duval and Webb in that area look more like the surface of the moon than ranch land. If it is river bottom land that is all sacahuista grass flats then I can see it not being worth much.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
I'd say hell no, it's not a buyer's market. But I live in a world where dirt farmers are turning into eagle ford shale millionaires overnight. I've worked on deals as high as $6250 an acre (it did include 75% of the producing minerals)and I have heard of much higher, and I just recently dealt with someone who was insisting that her unimproved Goliad County property was worth no less than $4250 an acre despite the fact that the ranch down the street sold several months before for $3250. Someone will come along and buy it though. Lots of money in South Texas right now.

There is a ranch in Goliad County right now that was 1900+ acres listed last year for around $2500 or so/acre IIRC. It was pulled off the market and they only relisted part of it. 800 acres now for $5000 per acre. Land in Goliad County has alway listed for $3-3500 per acre without improvements depending on location of it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:25 PM

I'd have a hard time selling right now in producing areas just because of missing out on the pipeline money. Heck, tell them to zig zag as many as they can across the place then let it go. (Or keep it after that if you don't want to pay the taxes on those lines)

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:26 PM

Some areas in McMullen, LaSalle, Duval and Webb in that area look more like the surface of the moon than ranch land.

its a fact that astronauts can see Briscoe country from outer space

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:29 PM

I'd have a hard time selling right now in producing areas just because of missing out on the pipeline money. Heck, tell them to zig zag as many as they can across the place then let it go. (Or keep it after that if you don't want to pay the taxes on those lines)

Now pipelines on a small place can really drive the price down in a hurry. Once you get a new large line it is like a bullseye is on your land. You will get more. There is a small 25 acre tract I know of that has 5 lines crossing it now. They are asking $4250 per acre for it unimproved. He has not had one offer in 8 months.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:32 PM

Some areas in McMullen, LaSalle, Duval and Webb in that area look more like the surface of the moon than ranch land.

its a fact that astronauts can see Briscoe country from outer space

They are just making land in South Texas look like it did before man moved in. Lot of South Texas was open grassland prairies with brushy/woody drainages. What I am talking about are the areas that have eroded down to the salty clay or clay that will not grow much of anything but rocks and gravel.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:34 PM

I thought buffel grass wasn't native?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:35 PM

that is not uncommon.

txtrophy85, I didn't try to belittle realtors at all and don't want to go there. But, please do not try to compare a lawyer with an 8 year degree that had to pass one of the toughest test out there to a Realtor. Not even close.

There are many realtors out there that are worth every penny they make and there are some lawyers that arean't worth crap.

And, it is not uncommon for people that buy lots of land to make their agents sign papers and pay finder fees. I pay cash and do not finance. I am not saying it makes me a better or superior person, but it does change the game from a regular Joe that is looking to finance.

The regular Joe can learn ALOT from someone that has been through the process of buying land in Texas. The process that my type go through is totally different than most people that are looking to buy for the first time and barely have a 10% down payment. Again, I AM NOT SUPERIOR, just different.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:36 PM

Now pipelines on a small place can really drive the price down in a hurry. Once you get a new large line it is like a bullseye is on your land. You will get more. There is a small 25 acre tract I know of that has 5 lines crossing it now. They are asking $4250 per acre for it unimproved. He has not had one offer in 8 months.

heck, he should have already made asking price for the place without selling it. Save something like that for later years to gift deed.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:37 PM

BTW, if you have seen the land listed, there is less than a 5% chance my kind would buy it. We buy land before it is listed. And, the average Joe can too!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:39 PM

They planted grass for cattle grazing. Sorghum Alum was used to get a stand along with other grasses in their strips. Some native come back but hard to do when buffle is present. It has some kind of protective defense to kill out competive grasses I was told. So once it is started it is hard to kill out. Don't take much rain and it jumps out of the ground from seed.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:40 PM

that is not uncommon.

txtrophy85, I didn't try to belittle realtors at all and don't want to go there. But, please do not try to compare a lawyer with an 8 year degree that had to pass one of the toughest test out there to a Realtor. Not even close.

There are many realtors out there that are worth every penny they make and there are some lawyers that arean't worth crap.

And, it is not uncommon for people that buy lots of land to make their agents sign papers and pay finder fees. I pay cash and do not finance. I am not saying it makes me a better or superior person, but it does change the game from a regular Joe that is looking to finance.

The regular Joe can learn ALOT from someone that has been through the process of buying land in Texas. The process that my type go through is totally different than most people that are looking to buy for the first time and barely have a 10% down payment. Again, I AM NOT SUPERIOR, just different.

There are high dollar defense lawyers out there and there are ambulance chasers.

Same with Brokers and Agents.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:41 PM

heck, he should have already made asking price for the place without selling it. Save something like that for later years to gift deed.

He bought the larger part years ago at a much lower price. There were already 3 lines on it when he bought it. Just he is of the mindset that with HWY frontage an oilfield company will buy it for a yard for their needs. He has added another smaller piece of ground next to it for sale in addition or with the first piece. Anymore pipelines before it gets it sold and there won't be much room left to build on it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:42 PM

BTW, if you have seen the land listed, there is less than a 5% chance my kind would buy it. We buy land before it is listed. And, the average Joe can too!

and pray tell, how do you find this land before it is listed? how would the average joe be able to find it?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:43 PM

He bought the larger part years ago at a much lower price. There were already 3 lines on it when he bought it. Just he is of the mindset that with HWY frontage an oilfield company will buy it for a yard for their needs. He has added another smaller piece of ground next to it for sale in addition or with the first piece. Anymore pipelines before it gets it sold and there won't be much room left to build on it.

alot of guys with small tracts think oilfield companies are gonna buy if they have any type of paved frontage.

for the most part, they will contact you quickly if they wanted it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:44 PM

easiest way to get in on deals is to get your name in the hat with ppl who get land donated to them. You'll get first offer before it ever goes to public auction. Cuts out survey costs and a lot of other hassles.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:46 PM

easiest way to get in on deals is to get your name in the hat with ppl who get land donated to them. You'll get first offer before it ever goes to public auction. Cuts out survey costs and a lot of other hassles.

thats a very small percentage of land

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:47 PM

4925 seems cheap then if that's who it's marketed toward. Our 36 acres went a lot higher than that, but already knew an O&G company was going to be building an office next door to it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:50 PM

I have not read not to many realtors ads on a piece of ground that did not include the words "trophy deer" along with "5 deer county" or even better not hunted in "x" years. There might not have been a trophy deer seen much less killed there since the buffalo roamed it. Might only be 25-50 acres also. Drove thru many a place with the "agent" and his first words were "great deer habitat" and all it was was re-growth farmland full of mesquites and/or huisache! Take me to the gate. Keys I looked for when I was looking at land were location, habitat, neighboring ranch sizes, improvements, leases in place, what was happening around it with the oilfield or developements, and then how long it had been on the market. Some good agents and some not worth the gas I wasted to get there. A couple were really great agents.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:51 PM

They planted grass for cattle grazing. Sorghum Alum was used to get a stand along with other grasses in their strips. Some native come back but hard to do when buffle is present. It has some kind of protective defense to kill out competive grasses I was told. So once it is started it is hard to kill out. Don't take much rain and it jumps out of the ground from seed.

i delieved a bunch of equimpent to the Green Branch and it was a sea of buffel grass as far as you could see.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:52 PM

it's more than you think (at least it is in our area)..you just don't hear much about it because it swaps hands in a hurry. Last one I dealt with only 4 ppl were contacted about it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:56 PM

4925 seems cheap then if that's who it's marketed toward. Our 36 acres went a lot higher than that, but already knew an O&G company was going to be building an office next door to it.

Only problem is his distance from a major hwy and his location in relation to the major O&G activity. He is on a 4-5 miles windy narrow FM road. He is know facing a major gas plant build about 1 mile or less from him to improve the view and value. No electric or water on the property either. I hope he gets the money for it but don't think I will hold my breath. His biggest problem is shape and the locations of the pipelines on the property now.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 05:58 PM

gotcha.. ours was actual square hwy frontage

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:01 PM

To answer the OP. It is a buyers market in a lot of areas around Texas and Oklahoma. Some areas it is not.

txtrophy85, I am not going to tell you how I buy land for up to 75% off what most pay (about 50% on average). Just like I am not going to tell you where my honey holes for Duck hunting are. If someone is smart enough, they can start researching/networking to figure it out. I gave enough information to get people started if they chose to do so. Just like if someone is smart enough, they can scout my local lake and find the "honey holes" too.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:03 PM

it's more than you think (at least it is in our area)..you just don't hear much about it because it swaps hands in a hurry. Last one I dealt with only 4 ppl were contacted about it.

you are correct in that it could be centralized to a local area.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:03 PM

To answer the OP. It is a buyers market in a lot of areas around Texas and Oklahoma. Some areas it is not.

txtrophy85, I am not going to tell you how I buy land for up to 75% off what most pay (about 50% on average). Just like I am not going to tell you where my honey holes for Duck hunting are. If someone is smart enough, they can start researching/networking to figure it out. I gave enough information to get people started if they chose to do so. Just like if someone is smart enough, they can scout my local lake and find the "honey holes" too.

lol.....

ok. I'd like to see what land your buying for 50% off the asking.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:05 PM

I bet you do, just like every other agent out there. Do you think Trump is going to let you make an offer on his findings too? Not, trying to compare myself with Trump. Just trying to prove a point.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:06 PM

Lets get off this okay.

If you are good at what you do, you will be successfull. I hope you are and I hope you all the success.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:09 PM

you are correct in that it could be centralized to a local area.

We just have a university with a good forestry program so ppl like to donate timber tracts to them. This last one that was donated was flood plain and mostly pasture that the owner had let turn to crap. My buddy is actually looking to buy a large tract from Rice, but for whatever reason they're wanting to keep it for a year...so it's going to make for a good lease until they un*** it.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:23 PM

It is a buyers market if you do the research on the area. Google Earth is a great tool to use for locating areas of interest and looking at property for sale to see what is around it. Everyone is different in their personal wants or needs in a piece of ground. That is what makes it valuable to them not what seller is asking. Location is key. To me as a buyer I would prefer a place without highway or country road frontage. Value to me but not to the seller. I valued land at what the raw land was worth to the area then adding in any if any improvements I wanted on it they had. If they had stuff I did not like then it was of no value to me when I consider an offer on it. I looked for years at land forsale to keep familiar with pricing in different areas. Then started to look.
I have a friend who bought about 1000 acres with live water in Gillespie County. Land had only a scripted easement to it so no financing would be available. Had to be a cash deal. It was listed for $2650 per acre due to easement and that was way way below market. He bought it with his first offer which was $1650 per acre. He then worked on an easement with neighbors till he got 3 acres bought for $150k which was outrageous. That purchase probably doubled if not tripled his land value if he wants to resell it. This property had what he wanted.
The "buys" are out there in all areas it just takes some work to find them.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:32 PM

Quote:
Everyone is different in their personal wants or needs in a piece of ground.

ABSOLUTELY...b/c for me, if there ain't trees (tall oaks & pines) in sight, the place (surface rights) is useless grin stir

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:34 PM

So, for argument sake, let's say I located 160 acres of unimproved land in SW Young county selling for $1900 per acre, what would you reasonably offer and feel that you got a good deal? Say the property had 2-3 tanks and was mostly natural mesquite with some minimal oaks.

Thanks,

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:45 PM

Depends if the listing was in ALL CAPS and TROPHY DEER was in it. grin

Too many known variables to know there. Neighbors, production coming, fence, etc?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:48 PM

Well according to pitstate you can buy any dirt for 50 to 70% of the asking price you just gotta know what he knows. BS

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:49 PM

So, for argument sake, let's say I located 160 acres of unimproved land in SW Young county selling for $1900 per acre, what would you reasonably offer and feel that you got a good deal? Say the property had 2-3 tanks and was mostly natural mesquite with some minimal oaks.

Thanks,

What are fences like? Any water wells on the place or how deep is water? Is water any good? Is electric on property or close? How far away is electric? Are access roads good to it? Are roads on it good? How overgrazed is it? Any utility easements? Any easements by other landowners thru it? If for hunting only for your use, what are the neighbors doing for hunting? How clean is the property for clutter? Size of neighbors? O&G leases? Production? Do you get surface control with the land if no minerals go with sale? What are other properties of this type listing/selling for in that area? Hire a good real estate appraiser to find these things out for you. It can be money well spent. Just make sure you have your end of the financing in place before you make that first offer. These are all things I learned to look for or ask about when looking for land to buy.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:54 PM

IMO there is so much more to consider to ascertain the value of a piece of land to a certain individual that it is difficult to give an answer.
A lot depends on what you intend to use the land for.

In some parts of Young county $1900 per acre is a steal of a lifetime in others it could be $300 ~ $600 high.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:57 PM

Well according to pitstate you can buy any dirt for 50 to 70% of the asking price you just gotta know what he knows. BS

Any? No. Few? Yes with work and research. I know a place that was listed for $2900 per acre with no minerals listed at that price and had been on market for one year in an area that land sells for $3000-3500 per acre of the same type. First offer was $2150 with some minerals to convey. Land was bought for $2350 with part of the minerals. Was it 50-70%? No but still a great value for the area.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:58 PM

Fences are fair to good, a basic piece of unimproved property covered in medium to heavy mesquite with fair prairie grass coverage. No mineral rights convey, no production currently. The main and intended sole purpose is to deer/turkey/hog hunt.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
IMO there is so much more to consider to ascertain the value of a piece of land to a certain individual that it is difficult to give an answer.
A lot depends on what you intend to use the land for.

In some parts of Young county $1900 per acre is a steal of a lifetime in others it could be $300 ~ $600 high.

My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:07 PM

First rule of real estate, brokers and lawyers generally don't like each other.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:09 PM

Fences are fair to good, a basic piece of unimproved property covered in medium to heavy mesquite with fair prairie grass coverage. No mineral rights convey, no production currently. The main and intended sole purpose is to deer/turkey/hog hunt.

What is other land listed for in the immediate area? The next question is going to be is it really what you want in a piece of land? How much is it going to cost you to re-do the fences and make some other improvements you want to do to it? My first offer if it is what I wanted would be 20-30% below listing price if the listed price is fair for the area. If the listing is not a fair price then I might be lower on the first offer. Just remember you can always go up but can't really go down once you make the offer the first time. Also don't be afraid to ask for some minerals. I have had friends buy land that include minerals in the sale but they do not convey till after 15 yrs. One guy bought the land that had never had a lease on it and 15 yrs later he got the minerals. Then 2-3 months later got involved in a huge lease on his land. Lets just say the lease was 10x what he paid for the land. He now has one well drilled and pad site for a second. Ask, all they can tell you is no.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

First rule of real estate, brokers and lawyers generally don't like each other.

that's probably true.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:14 PM

Any? No. Few? Yes with work and research. I know a place that was listed for $2900 per acre with no minerals listed at that price and had been on market for one year in an area that land sells for $3000-3500 per acre of the same type. First offer was $2150 with some minerals to convey. Land was bought for $2350 with part of the minerals. Was it 50-70%? No but still a great value for the area.

If same land typicaly sells for 3000 to 3500 per acre then why would any seller accept 2150? If the seller takes 20 to 30% less for a tract than what it is worth and they have competent representation then there are extinuating circumstances which dont come around all that often. Its like buying a pre 64 model 70 from a adict that needs a fix.

Im not saying you cant catch a good deal where they are needing to unload it or a bunch of fighting kids just want to cash out of dadies estate etc. I know people who have bought land from un educated people who had never seen 20k in cash money before and when it was waved in their face they sold... They got screwed and I wouldnt want to be the kind of person who made a living like that. Their are lots of ways I have seen people get land cheap, but none of them were everyday occurences or things you could make happen, it was luck and being in the right place at the right time. I shot a 6.5 year old buck on an unmanaged hillcountry place with trigger happy people all around, might go my whole life and never see it again.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:17 PM

I wouldn't buy any acreage for single use, especially for hunting.
That's where most of the aforementioned inexpensive/cheap land buys come from.

If you haven't already had the experience wait till you get a load of what the appraisal board shovels.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:18 PM

We bought land for the sole purpose of hunting. Dont regret it, got a decent deal and never looked back.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:23 PM

Thanks Erath and Stx. I know the year when the lease agreement was signed (2009), but didnt get a copy of it at closing. The title company told me the previous owner was the one who signed the lease agreement because I was trying to make sure before we signed that the minerals they said we were getting, were actually coming to us.
Title companies can make mistakes. I once had a contract on a property and had it written up that seller was to retain 50% minerals. Double checked with said TC and they assured me it would be recorded properly. Fast forward about 3 years, the new buyer contacts me and tells me he received an offer to lease his minerals for $250 an acre bonus with 20% of production if any. He has a check for 100% made out to him. Seller got nothing. The title company dropped the ball on this. needless to say it was a circle J to get straightened out. I was an Intermediary on the deal and dealt with both seller and buyer...Talk about fading heat. Geez. bang

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:24 PM

Single best real estate buy I have found was 10 acres inside loop 410 in san antonio paved corner frontage no flood plain... bought for $25... total, yes that $2.50 per acre.

However it was bough on the courthouse steps and you cant even pretend it is the norm like some people are pretending their great deals are.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:28 PM

I can't imagine leasing land and putting my work into it for someone else. Then, losing my lease because someone puts out a higher offer for it after I made it into what they wanted.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:31 PM

I don't know loop 410 in San Antonio, but if it where 635 in Dallas, you would never have to work another day in your life. Neither would any of your kids or their kids, or their kids!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:33 PM

I can't imagine leasing land and putting my work into it for someone else. Then, losing my lease because someone puts out a higher offer for it after I made it into what they wanted.

I agree with you on that. It takes the ability to make the investment, but our place is worth more now than the day we bought it due to improvements we have made and appreciateion according to other current sales and we dont have to worry about it being sold or leased out from under us.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:37 PM

I don't know loop 410 in San Antonio, but if it where 635 in Dallas, you would never have to work another day in your life. Neither would any of your kids or their kids, or their kids!

Nope the lady who bought it was in my opinion dumb and needed money she sold it a month later for 25,000 and was proud of her ROI... it was worth alot more than that say a bare minimum of $1/foot.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:37 PM

Well, you guys have fun hammering away on this topic, I am going fishing!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:41 PM

Well, you guys have fun hammering away on this topic, I am going fishing!

While you are there I got a piece of lake front property for sale that is loaded with trophy bucks and has not been hunted in years that was just listed..... grin

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:42 PM

already bought it before it hit the market! killed all the trophies and re-sold it for 5 times the money!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:43 PM

you want it back?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:43 PM

It would be nice for a thread to actually stay on topic for a change.
Hopefully the OP can sift through all the twists and turns and get some answers to his questions.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:44 PM

I wouldn't buy any acreage for single use, especially for hunting.
That's where most of the aforementioned inexpensive/cheap land buys come from.

If you haven't already had the experience wait till you get a load of what the appraisal board shovels.

True but research on the buyers end with county appraisal district past history can be of great benefit.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:44 PM

I left you some spikes!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:45 PM

I left you some spikes!

Everyone is happy now banana

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 07:45 PM

man, I love this forum!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 08:47 PM

Single best real estate buy I have found was 10 acres inside loop 410 in san antonio paved corner frontage no flood plain... bought for $25... total, yes that $2.50 per acre.

However it was bough on the courthouse steps and you cant even pretend it is the norm like some people are pretending their great deals are.

that is a great deal!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 08:48 PM

It would be nice for a thread to actually stay on topic for a change.
Hopefully the OP can sift through all the twists and turns and get some answers to his questions.

we answered his question.

Its gonna depend on which area you are in

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 08:51 PM

If same land typicaly sells for 3000 to 3500 per acre then why would any seller accept 2150? If the seller takes 20 to 30% less for a tract than what it is worth and they have competent representation then there are extinuating circumstances which dont come around all that often. Its like buying a pre 64 model 70 from a adict that needs a fix.

Im not saying you cant catch a good deal where they are needing to unload it or a bunch of fighting kids just want to cash out of dadies estate etc. I know people who have bought land from un educated people who had never seen 20k in cash money before and when it was waved in their face they sold... They got screwed and I wouldnt want to be the kind of person who made a living like that. Their are lots of ways I have seen people get land cheap, but none of them were everyday occurences or things you could make happen, it was luck and being in the right place at the right time. I shot a 6.5 year old buck on an unmanaged hillcountry place with trigger happy people all around, might go my whole life and never see it again.

Do fire sales exist? sure they do. I've seen a few here and there.

but they are not the norm and can span several years between opportunities. typcially then won't hit the open market either
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 09:08 PM

Do fire sales exist?....typcially then won't hit the open market either

yet another example of u rich guys keepin the poor man down....whats the dang secret!

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 10:46 PM

but they are not the norm and can span several years between opportunities. typcially then won't hit the open market either

You let one get away last year near me...now they want $5000 per acre for it. There is another pretty good buy about 4 miles from me for a smaller unimproved property.

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/21/13 11:07 PM

which tract was that ?

Re: Do You Think It's a Buyer's Market - 02/22/13 12:10 AM

You let one get away last year near me...now they want $5000 per acre for it. There is another pretty good buy about 4 miles from me for a smaller unimproved property.

Have First Bank & Trust of STX cut a check for it then!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum