Texas Hunting Forum

IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU....

Posted By: Mfloski

IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 01:39 AM

do differently to "prep" for the next onslaught of 2nd Amendment attacks.

Personally, I strongly disagree that this will "blow over" like 2008 run on guns and ammo. Reasons, a) in 2008 we didn't see any discussions or actions by liberals to attack our GOD given right to keep and bear arms. NOW, its coming from everywhere. Local / State / Federal on all levels are pushing to eliminate this or that or control this or that, and some are already successfull in the initial attack (aka NY law).

So, as I open my gun safe to head to the range to get a little trigger time on my 9mm pistol and new MP15-22 (Which is crazy awesome by the way), if found it painful to pull out some ammo and use it knowing that it will be near impossible to replace any time soon! I have a relatively large quantity of .223, had 500rnds or so of 9mm and three bricks of .22.
Here is my plan, whats yours if any?
1. buy 10k rounds of .22 so that i never have to feel pain when i want to go plinking with my son and wounder how long it will be before i can shoot it again.
2. same for .223.
3. 1k rounds for all handguns.
4. then when i want to go shooting when times are good and ammo is easy (assuming it happens again) to find, not touch my reserves and hit the local ammo store on the way to the range.

Your thoughts?
Posted By: Brock77

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 01:48 AM

The ammo prices are fine if you do enough research and ask around. My dad purchased 1000 rounds of 45 acp at a little over $15 a box after including shiping to his door. If you know where to look and check things out instead of looking right in front of your face you will be fine...

but i wouldnt do anything different
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 01:48 AM

More reloading equipment. Can't have too many primers.
Posted By: janie

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 01:50 AM

Nothing different.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 01:54 AM

If people keep buying 10k rounds of ammo things will never get back to normal
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 02:59 AM

I wish I could help but I dont own any guns

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
I wish I could help but I dont own any guns

lol

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L

people buying 10k rounds are hardly the problem right now...you can hardly buy a box of this or that, most of limits or are completely out of stock!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 03:45 AM

When this calms down in a year or 18 months, I'll probably buy 10-20 stripped lowers.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 04:28 AM

Do what I said I was going to do in 2008, buy at least 1 box of ammo, 9mm, .223, and .22, weekly.
Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Mfloski

people buying 10k rounds are hardly the problem right now...you can hardly buy a box of this or that, most of limits or are completely out of stock!

Right, because of people like you. Not knocking you, but the reason they are out of stock is because everyone is freaking out and buying it up as soon as it hits the shelf. Ever heard of consumer panic? Supply and demand. Right now supply can't meet the demand because of panic. If people would just relax things would start getting normal again.
Posted By: 2Redd

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 05:39 AM

when it calms down I'll replace what I've used .
Posted By: madhatr02

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 05:52 AM

yeah I agree, if you look around you can find ammo, where you can't find it is in the "common" places where all the panic people go (i.e. academy, walmart, cabelas, etc.)

Different I will stock up on some reloading supplies incase of another panic. Not going to go buy 1k rounds to sit in the closet just going to have the ability to load up 500 if it gets nuts.
Posted By: 3rdShot

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 06:17 AM

I'll just increase the backup amounts I keep. We usually go through a brick of .22s and a couple boxes of .45s when we go to the lease...I'll just build up a few more spare boxes as they become available...and still try to shoot as much as we do.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 06:51 AM

I'll do the same thing I did last time. Replace what I've used and stock up over time.

Pretty simple, no big strategy needed.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 12:24 PM

It would be nice to have some extra .22's, too easy to shoot a bunch in a day. Other than that nothing different.
Posted By: target1911

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 03:01 PM

Stock up over time. Ammo, reloading components, lowers and parts I need for some purposed builds.

I will not buy up everything I see but in small qualities.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 03:59 PM

Same thing I did before this crap.....Buy a box when I need it!
Posted By: 2wheelz4me

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 04:54 PM

Could not agree more! This is what is causing most of the issues not. Hoarders have screwed it up for those of us wanting to stop by and pick up some ammo to go plink or hunting.
Posted By: DSessom

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 05:48 PM

Some are saying that this is the worst ammo shortage since WWII. It's definately the worst I've seen, and I've been shooting for 30+ years (I'm 43).
BUT... our guns aren't going away. There are too many folks on the the left AND right who own and enjoy their firearms. Nothing the government does can or will have any effect of the gun violence that happens. What Obama did was a typical knee-jerk reaction to try to satisfy the calls for "gun control" but I honestly doubt much will come of it.

Anyway... even though ammo has been hard to come by lately, I have managed to acquire what I need - even 22 and big bore stuff like .44Mag and .50AE for my Desert Eagles. .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 have been slightly higher priced but not impossible to find. Surprisingly, local Pawn shops still stock most popular calibers at reasonable prices.

I buy a box or two every payday, which is more than I used to, and I'll probably continue doing this as long as I can. If the supply completely runs dry, I should be fine for at least a year because I only shoot once or twice a month.
Posted By: booce77

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Brock77
The ammo prices are fine if you do enough research and ask around. My dad purchased 1000 rounds of 45 acp at a little over $15 a box after including shiping to his door. If you know where to look and check things out instead of looking right in front of your face you will be fine...

but i wouldnt do anything different

Where'd he score that deal?
Posted By: passthru

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/18/13 09:01 PM

Yep. The sky is not falling and yes, we are our own worst enemy.
Posted By: rmac10

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 02:50 AM

Academy has been my best source but 1 box limits suck...
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 12:17 PM

Im just keeping what i have and not doing any shooting like i used to. Also not gonna buy any till prices come back down.
Posted By: roxie

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 02:14 PM

WHEN is all settles down, definitely going to stock up on a few different calibers. If you think you have enough, you're probably wrong.
Posted By: Octopiston

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 03:10 PM

Stock up on calibers I don't have so I can price gouge when it happens again. smile I kid.
Posted By: flyby

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 04:58 PM

Reload, reload, reload!!
Posted By: wall8053

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Same thing I did before this crap.....Buy a box when I need it!

Couldn't agree more
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/20/13 06:44 PM

every time I go to academy or cabeles I buy a box for 3 different guns of mine. I have been doing this the last couple of years and Have 200 rounds for each of my rifles 1500 223 and 600 for my .40 cal I dont want to buy it all up when it gewts back to normal but a few boxes every time you go in and before you know it you have a nice little supply on your hands
Posted By: fgdn

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Octopiston
Stock up on calibers I don't have so I can price gouge when it happens again. smile I kid.

funny

but that is probably whats going across alot of peoples minds.

and the sad part is, this will be going on.

and the only thing this will do is extend the time it takes to get back to so called normal.
Posted By: Flat Cat

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 01:15 AM

I would buy a storage unit and fill it to the top with a variety of .22 ammo.

For personal use of course. aim
Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 01:38 AM

1. Investing in reloading equipment and supplies

2. Buying a few boxes of ammo each payday

3. Praying for the U.S. and our legislators
Posted By: donswin

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 01:45 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what made .22 so popular. I can understand .223, 9mm etc, but plinking rounds?

I'll probably increase my supplies of reloading components (bullets, powder, primer) & fight the urge to buy more .22 than I could ever shoot.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 01:55 AM

I do what I've always done. Swing by Walmart and pick up a box every now and then. This week I bought another 2 boxes of (50) .223 brass cased and 1 box of (555) round .22LR. Last week I bought the same .223 and 2 boxes of (50) .357 mag. The only difference is that now, I go at 6:30 AM on my way to work instead of on the way home.

This is what I've always done and will continue to do. Like anything else, a little here and a little there adds up over time. I love to shoot and so does my family. I hate to run out, so I stay a little ahead of what we shoot.
Posted By: gator1332

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/21/13 03:20 AM

plan on doing a lot of skeet shooting and dove hunting. doesnt seem to be a big run on shotgun shells. thats the only shooting I'll be doing until everyone calms down.
Posted By: rmac10

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/22/13 03:38 AM

+1 on the skeet shooting!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/22/13 03:03 PM

supply & demand, it's just like gas prices,an every thing else flag
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/22/13 07:30 PM

these threads scare me scared
Posted By: Paul Sonnier

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/24/13 05:05 AM

smile just buy what we need when available!
Posted By: Xman

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/24/13 05:07 AM

Stock up as it is available.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: IF guns and ammo return to normal, WHAT WILL YOU.... - 02/24/13 02:27 PM

skeet shooting today. miss shooting my .22 around the ranch. it was cheap fun. Plinking with .17hmr now
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum