Texas Hunting Forum

Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust?

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 02:00 PM

http://www.fishgame.com/newsblog.php?p=11623
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 03:04 PM

Didn't think it would ever be too common, considering the price. That law created a lot of confusion as a landowner/agent has always been able to shoot hogs/coyotes/bobcats/etc. from a helicoptor (it can be a very effective way to kill a lot of pigs in a relatively short period of time). That law just enables the average guy to be able to pay to go do it, assuming the helicoptor company has an agreement with a landowner to allow it. But, not many landowners find it appealing having somebody they don't know shooting critters from a helicopter on their property. Not many of the helicopter pilots really like untrained shooters shooting out their helicopter either, that's why many charge so much to do it.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 03:07 PM

Figured about as much!
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 03:19 PM

Good recent episode of Pig Man where him and Nugent shot them up. Oh my, they were putting down 300 a day! Looks like a "blast", but I would get airsick and I'm a pilot!
Posted By: aoudadhunter

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 05:11 PM

I don't think it's all that costly at all. You can usually get a chopper for about $500 an hour if you have your own land if you had a few buddys to split the cost and everyone got an hour or two of fly time a day it would still be a relatively cheap hunt. For the thrill it's Definantly worth it. I think it will take some time to become real popular
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 06:04 PM

Too expensive for one, and it's a risk factor of flying treetop level and making all dizzying turns as the pilot tries to give the gunner a shot, and if something mechanical malfunctions, or human error, it's going to be a fast dirt nap for the crew and passengers.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Too expensive for one, and it's a risk factor of flying treetop level and making all dizzying turns as the pilot tries to give the gunner a shot, and if something mechanical malfunctions, or human error, it's going to be a fast dirt nap for the crew and passengers.

I would rather fall out of the sky at 25 feet than 2,500 fett. laugh
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 08:00 PM

I was wading the tide gauge this summer watching them helo hogs on the king... Cool to watch
Posted By: JCG

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 08/30/12 08:01 PM

Looks like a good time, dont think I could afford it though.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/01/12 08:34 PM

The state of Texas should not try and prevent any type of hog hunting regardless of public opinion (think PETA). The hogs are destroying valuable property and are only growing larger in population. I shoot as many as I can each year, but on that same note, I also eat them or give away the meat. Though I have no problem with someone shooting them and letting them lie.

Hogs also destroy eggs/small hatchlings from wild birds as well as anything else they can get into their mouth.
Posted By: ffread

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/01/12 09:16 PM

I actually have a guy that takes me for free, I could never afford it but it is one of the best hunts I have ever done. I will admit the first time I got pretty sick but would do it everyday if given the chance and it is not near as hard as you might think. The hogs pretty much just run a straight line once you get on them the rest is just mowing them down!!!
Posted By: Wildhorse

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/02/12 12:01 AM

Helicopter is pretty much the only way I've seen to put any kind of dent in hog numbers in the part of the country we run. For every one hog we see there must be ten more unseen. Every ranch hand on the place carries a rifle on him and shoots every hog they see, year round. Yet, we just can't get rid of them. You can heard them into a bottle-neck in a creek or a draw with the chopper and lay absolute waste to them. Just can't do that in a truck. As long as there are farmers and ranchers and obnoxious hogs, there will be a need for men shooting hogs out of choppers.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/03/12 07:00 PM

If it wasn't so expensive I would do it.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/03/12 07:48 PM

I don't think there is a bad way to kill a hog.

I hope that more interest takes place, but that is more than I can spend to do that.

I keep hoping someone at Texas A&M will come up with a food pellet that makes the hogs sterile without effecting any other wild life

something like that could make a difference
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/03/12 09:05 PM

Im planningon a trip in the spring, just ran out of thime this year and I have a good friend that goes and does it alot, he says and I quote its almost as fun as Sex LOL.
Posted By: scattergun

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/03/12 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: aoudadhunter
I don't think it's all that costly at all. You can usually get a chopper for about $500 an hour if you have your own land if you had a few buddys to split the cost and everyone got an hour or two of fly time a day it would still be a relatively cheap hunt. For the thrill it's Definantly worth it. I think it will take some time to become real popular

Oh yeah, that sounds pretty cheap. I may just sell my house a get a weeks worth.
Posted By: ILikeRugers2

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/04/12 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
If it wasn't so expensive I would do it.

+1
Posted By: passthru

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/04/12 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
Im planningon a trip in the spring, just ran out of thime this year and I have a good friend that goes and does it alot, he says and I quote its almost as fun as Sex LOL.

After 28 years of marriage and at my age I can almost guarantee it is.bolt
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 09/04/12 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: crash700

Hogs also destroy eggs/small hatchlings from wild birds as well as anything else they can get into their mouth.

The new TPWD Rules and Regs booklet you get with your hunting license has a good article on Quail or the lack thereof.
The quail are just about non existant in a lot of counties where they were plentiful in years past, and the article mentions lack of habitat but oddly doesn't mention what I believe is the real culprit and that is the feral hog.
Probably since TPWD doesn't have an answer for the problem so maybe they would rather just ignore it. confused2
Posted By: GTOutfitter

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 08:20 PM

G&T Outfitters / Paradise Helicopters TEXAS are offering Helicopter Hog Hunts for a limited time @ $800.00 per person per day including lunch out of Temple Texas. We have a MD500 and 50K plus acres of hog infested land to hunt. Booking hunts daily, and this incredible price WILL NOT last forever.

www.gandtoutfitters.com 512-426-9088
G&T Outfitters / Facebook

cash / check (in advance) / credit/debit cards
Posted By: Minotphil

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: scattergun

Oh yeah, that sounds pretty cheap. I may just sell my house a get a weeks worth.

A weeks worth of sex or a weeks worth of pig hunting?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Minotphil
Originally Posted By: scattergun

A weeks worth of sex or a weeks worth of pig hunting?
banana
Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 10:47 PM

$800 AND it includes lunch?

Still a little high for me...
Posted By: Squealteam

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: GTOutfitter
G&T Outfitters / Paradise Helicopters TEXAS are offering Helicopter Hog Hunts for a limited time @ $800.00 per person per day including lunch out of Temple Texas. We have a MD500 and 50K plus acres of hog infested land to hunt. Booking hunts daily, and this incredible price WILL NOT last forever.

Yaw got that red md? I saw a red md either the hangar nxt to or 2 down from mc clains hangar. I was fly with central tx flt school n saw it comin in, after i landed, the md hover taxied out n pulled pitch to the south.
Posted By: Cnr

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 11:45 PM

A

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/23/13 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I would rather fall out of the sky at 25 feet than 2,500 fett. laugh

Fallin from 25' with a spinin rotor system, many gal of jet a, aluminum n magnesium components n a turbine eng with a ring of fire in the combuster section is all a recipe for a charded dirt nap. Iv seen helo crashes in iraq n afghan n seen the carnage n death when we went in to sling it out if the area was secured, or we tossed a willy p n watched it burn.
I would rather fall from 2500' from a failed auto n die rapidly, vs. bein burned, choped n diced while still alive.
Posted By: Cannon

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 12:51 AM

"Yaw got that red md? I saw a red md either the hangar nxt to or 2 down from mc clains hangar. I was fly with central tx flt school n saw it comin in, after i landed, the md hover taxied out n pulled pitch to the south."

I understand English as a second language, but it should at least remain a language. What in the he** were you ineffectively attempting to communicate?

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Cannon
"Yaw got that red md? I saw a red md either the hangar nxt to or 2 down from mc clains hangar. I was fly with central tx flt school n saw it comin in, after i landed, the md hover taxied out n pulled pitch to the south."

I understand English as a second language, but it should at least remain a language. What in the he** were you ineffectively attempting to communicate?

Go back to school n learn english a lil better n then learn short hand or abbreviated short hand. What part did u not understand? I'll draw it out n explain it in big bird cookie monster style, where even a 5yo could understand it. Ur in america, try learn english better before critiqueing my english n spellin. I wasnt even talkn to u, so if u dont understand it, oh freakn well, it wasnt ment for u to begin with.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 02:06 AM

My cousin owned a helicopter and used to do hunts out of it with mainly family. That was until about 2 months ago it malfunctioned and he crashed. It was in karnes county. It was on the news. He cracked some vertebrae and my other cousin riding and shooting cracked some vertebrae also. The both are better now but the copter is done.

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 02:21 AM

Its good to hear they r ok. They had god on their side that day. We did an infill 1 nite n the trail acft took fire, didnt hav dusl eng capability n hit hard. 2 US guys were injured n 3 iraqi sf guys died. We pulled pwr, went into a coverin fire orbit till the first ground troops secured the site n extracted wounded. Acft crashes suck, its just to hear ur family made it out with little injuries.
Posted By: Believer

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 03:03 AM

That is a steal of a deal right there. You could provide your entire clan w/ meat for a year in one day..... the money you could save on the grocery bill would be 10 times that.
Posted By: Premo

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Believer

That is a steal of a deal right there. You could provide your entire clan w/ meat for a year in one day..... the money you could save on the grocery bill would be 10 times that.

8K worth of pork? Give me a break, at $4 per pound that is 2K pounds of pig. How long would it take to yu clean/process 2K pounds of pig? Where are you going to store 2K pounds of meat? Give me a break.

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 12:25 PM

Folks have these things called freezers, he could store a ton of meat in a couple of them and if he had help, it wouldnt take long to clean and process that much pork. U dont know how many hogs he flesh out and how fast, what kinda set up he has. I myself, can hang to hogs at same time, with 2 knives and 2 bone saws goin, it dont take but 30-45 min to cut up a 150-200lb hog, if it took 45 min per hog, an average 150lb hog, it take bout 5.5-6hrs to clean 2000lbs, as long as they huted before loading, like with the clean up ground crew that comes in behind the acft
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/24/13 01:27 PM

I still remember the good ole days when all you needed was a rifle, good pair of boots, hunting license, and a good area to hunt. I guess now you need to add a helicopter and pilot to that list. How times have changed. roflmao
Posted By: GTOutfitter

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/26/13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ftup4evr

Yaw got that red md? I saw a red md either the hangar nxt to or 2 down from mc clains hangar. I was fly with central tx flt school n saw it comin in, after i landed, the md hover taxied out n pulled pitch to the south.

NOt the red one, our is blue at least for now till it goes to Hawaii and then we'll have a white one.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: Helicopter Hunting Hogs A Bust? - 04/26/13 08:30 PM

This past weekend I was with Freedom Care Warrior Project. They took 8 vets on Aerial Target shooting and Hog Hunting. Used BSG, a company out of San Marcos. They charge land owners $750 hr I think and avg about 50 hogs. Also train/certify shooters to go on those hunts.

I'll have a video out soon covering Freedom Care. These guys are passionate about helping wounded vets.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum