Texas Hunting Forum

How do you think this deer survived?

Posted By: Tatsun

How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 03:48 PM

Well, this past weekend, I went to Neils Taxidermy out near Mineral Wells off of Hwy 52 in Palo Pinto to pick up my processed meat. Neil always does a great job processing my meat and is a hell of taxidermist and a hell of a nice guy. Well, when I show up, he has a decent 10-point hanging up that was apparently just killed Saturday morning. The deal is that the antlers were really screwy looking, as in the the longest tines were pointed downward on one side pointing back towards the top of the head, and then on another side, it was even worse, pointing straight down. Anyways, I started talking to Neil, and he said the buck was missing its entire bottom jaw. I looked at him hanging and sure enough, the deer had no bottom jaw, no teeth, and his snout was even disfigured a bit.
How did he eat? How did he survive? As far as I know, deer need the bottom teeth to pick up whatever they are eating, and without teeth, how did he chew? its amazing this deer survived, I just cant understand how he did it.
I wish I would have snapped some pics of it, but had a brain fart before I left and forgot. It was really something to see.

Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 03:53 PM

worthless

animals are tough for sure. there is no telling what he did to survive but i bet it was rough

Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 04:03 PM

How far was this deer killed from where SniperSean hunts? He claims he got a nice buck either in the jaw or snout and never found it.

Posted By: SATX

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Kickerkatcher
How far was this deer killed from where SniperSean hunts? He claims he got a nice buck either in the jaw or snout and never found it.

Classic!

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 05:19 PM

Good-ole' sniper sean,AKA Luckenbach...haven't heard much from you in a while. confused2

Posted By: kmon11

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 06:15 PM

For no bottom jaw I would bet there were protien feeders going year round where that buck lived.

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 08:33 PM

He had a pretty nice spread on him. I was told he was taken out near Weatherford somewhere.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/13/11 10:05 PM

that still don't make no sense..... I don't care if he's eating tapioca pudding ... how is he gonna chew. maybe Ensure and a straw?

Posted By: vanguard

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/15/11 02:18 PM

was it a fresh wound or you saying it was all healed up or did it look like he was born that way

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/15/11 03:09 PM

popcorn

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/15/11 06:06 PM

Was the bone entirely missing like birth defect?
Was only part of it missing?
If the deer could suck in protien feed at a feeder and swallow it along with water, just saying if the feeder always had feed in it then could see one surviving.

popcorn popcorn

Posted By: Gunslinger

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/15/11 07:04 PM

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/18/11 06:40 PM

It looked like an old wound that had completely healed for those that asked. Part of the cartlidge from where his snout starts was also missing.

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/19/11 06:11 AM

We had a doe on a friends place in Mississippi that the jaw had been broken at some point and healed at about a 90 degree angle hanging down figure from a bullet at some point but never knew for sure. For 5 years she raised 2 healthy fawns her last year to have fawns she only had one. We are not sure what happened to her after that year. She would turn her head to the side and use her tounge a lot getting food into her mouth. That was over 25 years ago that she disapeared, during the summer her and her fawns could be seen every day from his house in a soy bean field. I often think of that deer when thinking of a deers survival ability. There were no feeders protien or corn anywhere around there.

Posted By: RedTrail

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/19/11 07:40 AM

My stepfather and I were hunting Jack county. He saw a big 10 running does by his stand and took three shots at him. He thought he hit it but no sign was found. He hunted the next morning and he saw the same big 10 chasing does in the same area. Except this time my step dad thought at first it was a goat because he thought it had a beard. He shot at it, 3 times again I may add, and dropped it. Apparently, the previous evening hunt he had hit it square in the jaw and it was dangling straight down. Yet, it was still chasing does. Women makes a man stupid doesn't it. Scored 158 by the way 5.5 yoa.

Posted By: passthru

Re: How do you think this deer survived? - 12/19/11 03:12 PM

With that weird of a rack and the injury it may have been hit by a car early in the antler growth. Never will know for sure.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum