Texas Hunting Forum

Apple Scented Corn

Posted By: buck-snort

Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 06:12 PM

Does anyone know any place between Junction and Sonora that I can pickup Apple Scented Corn?

Thanks

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 06:37 PM

Not really in that specific area but I bought Mumme's Apple Scented at HEB in Kyle last week for $8.32/50lb bag. I believe Mumme's is based out of Bandera. You could always head south to San Antonio and then west, making a stop by Mumme's.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 07:11 PM

Mummes is based out of Hondo. They used to have a store on 281 north just north of Loopl 1604 in SA also. Any HEB along the way will have it also.

Posted By: estex

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 08:50 PM

Attwoods carries it..Works great up here in the East..

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 10:47 PM

The last time I saw it at Attwoods, they were pretty proud of it, though.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/07/11 10:57 PM

Anyone sell it in Lubbock? If they do I'll pick me up some and I'm headed to San Angelo next weekend and we can meet up if you want me to getcha sum.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Not really in that specific area but I bought Mumme's Apple Scented at HEB in Kyle last week for $8.32/50lb bag.

That same bag will cost you $9.87 at HEB locations in the Houston area.

Posted By: 30378

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 02:06 PM

I sure would not spend an extra nickel on Apple Scented corn. Are there any deer in Texas that even know the first thing about an apple in any part of their natural diet?

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
I sure would not spend an extra nickel on Apple Scented corn. Are there any deer in Texas that even know the first thing about an apple in any part of their natural diet?

Yes they do raise apples in Texas in Medina Texas.

Posted By: TX35

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 02:46 PM

The one thing I've noticed about the Mummes corn, is that it is VERY clean!!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 03:12 PM

Yes it is clean, but you can buy twice cleaned corn at a hole bunch of places. I have used the apple scented stuff just because that is all they had where I needed to buy corn, or that is what they gave me for reg deer corn at the same price and because my uncle thought it was better. I have never noticed a difference in it either in hill contry or south texas. I wouldnt spend my time or money looking for it specificaly.

matt

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Yes it is clean, but you can buy twice cleaned corn at a hole bunch of places. I have used the apple scented stuff just because that is all they had where I needed to buy corn, or that is what they gave me for reg deer corn at the same price and because my uncle thought it was better. I have never noticed a difference in it either in hill contry or south texas. I wouldnt spend my time or money looking for it specificaly.

I buy corn and protein feed to support the year-round feeding efforts on our lease. And while I never look specifically for corn with the apple scent, the animals in East Texas always seem to eat it a little better.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 07:01 PM

Two years ago I worked a deal with a local produce store to buy up their over ripe apples for a little of nothing. I would go by twice a week and pick them up and then scatter them around my feeder. The deer never touched them. The hogs on the other hand went ape carp crazy over them.

The only I bought this last batch of Mumme's apple scented corn was because it wasn't anymore expensive than regular corn and it's very convenient. That HEB is only 2 miles from my house.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I buy corn and protein feed to support the year-round feeding efforts on our lease. And while I never look specifically for corn with the apple scent, the animals in East Texas always seem to eat it a little better.

Seems like if the deer ate it better you would go out of your way to buy it...

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/08/11 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Seems like if the deer ate it better you would go out of your way to buy it...

Corn is corn and tastes the same to them. What apple scented corn does is it makes it easier for the deer to smell in and find it. Works really well out of a tailgate feeder when you have hog problems and need to keep moving the corn lines so the deer get a chance at the corn first. When you do this you can watch deer walking thru the brush and can tell immediately when they smell the corn and go to it as they throw their head up and into the wind. The apple concentrated scent that they use is so high dollar that they meter on droplets as the corn comes out of the cleaner at Mummes and into the bagger to bag the corn. Smells really strong in the warehouse when you walk into a building with a 100 pallets on more on the floor but not as strong when you open a bag and use it. I do not think Mummes would go to the trouble of using or doing it they customers did not like it and they sell millions of pounds of bagged deer corn every year. One year is was over 1 million bags of deer corn in the mid 90's when they had Walmart as a customer along with their walkin business. Not sure what they sell today but it is still a whole lot of applescented corn in their bags bought and used by hunters. They even have bulk customers wanting the scented corn.

Posted By: Lotto

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/09/11 02:06 AM

Been using the Mumies apple scented corn when available for the past 8-10 years and will continue...........Very clean and a great product when mixed with their protein and peas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Lotto

Re: Apple Scented Corn - 09/09/11 02:08 AM

Forgot.... and it is $8.32 per 50lb bag in San Marcos HEB.......good deal!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum