Texas Hunting Forum

Food Saver

Posted By: Perry Outdoors

Food Saver - 08/19/11 04:03 PM

Anyone else use a food saver for putting your wild game and fish in the freezer. I have wanted one for a long time and recently picked one up. This is the foodsaver gamesaver silver. I guess its designed more for hunter and outdoorsmen. We used it to put up some fish and stuff from our garden and it worked good. Cant wait to package some venison this season. I did a review on it also in case anyone was interested in one.

Posted By: Bonehead

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 04:20 PM

Someone posted a 70% discount for Foodsaver.com months ago and a ton of us all jumped on the deal. I got mine sent to my door for a grand total of $26.10!! Sweet little machine too!

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 04:28 PM

We use our frequently, but mostly during hunting season. Wouldn't take for it.

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 05:08 PM

Great for fish. Don't use it that often on other game, but I should.

I mostly use mine for packaging jerky to send over to Iraq. Any jerky I keep at home just goes in a zip lock cuz it don't last long enough to get the sealer off the shelf.

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 05:20 PM

I wouldn't freeze my fish and game any other way.

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bonehead
Someone posted a 70% discount for Foodsaver.com months ago and a ton of us all jumped on the deal. I got mine sent to my door for a grand total of $26.10!! Sweet little machine too!

Man, I wish I would have known that. That's a steal.

Posted By: txbowhunter2006

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 05:23 PM

one of the best investments an outdoorsman could make. just ate my last pack of deer sausuge from last year,,,,,,,tasted like i made it this past weekend

Posted By: Hogfather

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 06:29 PM

Had one andwore it out, I need to get another one before the season starts. Great little investment that pays off BIG time.

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 06:37 PM

A BEST INVESTMENT!

Posted By: catchrcall

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 06:39 PM

I used my first one until I wore it out and bought another one right away. We package a lot of hogs with ours. I also use it to package everything in my cut kit for my dogs so it all stays dry and clean.

Posted By: tchunter

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 09:09 PM

I use mine all the time. Even use it to reseal potato chip bags made of Mylar.

Posted By: Old_School

Re: Food Saver - 08/19/11 09:33 PM

I've had one for years. Great product. Must have for anyone storing frozen goods. It will eliminate freezer burn.

Posted By: Espy

Re: Food Saver - 08/20/11 03:21 AM

still using mine all the time

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Food Saver - 08/20/11 03:36 AM

They are great

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Food Saver - 08/20/11 03:40 AM

use it for a lot more than food too; mini-med kits in deer bags; spare ammo in hunting bags, toilet paper for deer bags.....

Pre-packaged chili spices or taco spices for deer camp.....

Pre-measured rice and beans and spices....

Sealing marinating steaks to throw in the cooler.... or tubes of breakfast sausage....

We have even once pre-made omlette's the night before into bags, eggs and all.......

Posted By: jerry hart

Re: Food Saver - 08/20/11 05:09 AM

great for tbones when HEB runs tthem on sale for 3.77 a pound, and those boys are good, they will hand cut whatever size you want....now i have about 100 waiting to be grilled...

Posted By: JRPurvis

Re: Food Saver - 08/22/11 09:24 PM

I've not used the Silver model, but do have two older models that are all but worn out from long use. My experience is that they are quite finicky and often do not seal properly. One day they do great on every package, and the next day half the packages will refuse to seal. Some people report that the brand of bag makes a difference.

Read the reviews on the Cabela's website for them. Some love them, while other report them breaking after just a little use. If/when I get another, probably this fall, I'll step up and get a more expensive model, as I'm tired of the problems I've seen. As expected, the more expensive the model, the better the reviews. Small jobs seem to do well with any model, but when you do 10-15 pigs a year, like I do some years, they wear out faster.

I've gone back to butcher paper for all ground meat, steaks, and roasts, and they seal up nicely and I've never had any go bad on me yet.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Food Saver - 08/22/11 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: LAstrutter
I wouldn't freeze my fish and game any other way.

x2

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Food Saver - 08/22/11 09:54 PM

Yep I got one then, they are great.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum