Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Drought

Posted By: buck-snort

Texas Drought - 08/08/11 08:55 PM

Hello, I know the drought topic has come up multiple times on here. I currently hunt an area 20 miles east of Sonora, TX. known as the Edwards Plateau region. This area is traditionally dry but produces quality deer each season. So my question is what real effect does the drought have on a region that is traditionally dry? The lease I hunt has three water wells located on it which is the deer's source of water, and we feed year around. Just curious on opinions on what effect a drought has on a traditionally dry area? Thanks

Posted By: don k

Re: Texas Drought - 08/08/11 11:17 PM

I don't think it has ever been this traditionally dry in at least 55 years so it is hard to say.

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Texas Drought - 08/08/11 11:31 PM

I think your deer are going to be ok since they are being provided the food and water they need. It's the ones who do not get human help who are going to struggle and die off. This is an unprecedented drought and its effect will be felt for years to come.

Posted By: jcoutdoors

Re: Texas Drought - 08/09/11 01:14 AM

Deer can live through tough times better than most animals. With your well water and feeding program your deer should do well. What will be the true kill shot would be a really harsh winter with extreme cold that endured for any length of time. Overall deer health could really put a damper on the rut in a lot of areas as well.
Mother nature has a way of taking care of her own, in areas where the herd has outgrown there range we could see a significant die off.
I think you will see that a lot of properties that did not feed year round will find that deer have moved on in search of other food sources.
I think as hunters we will have a responsibility to review the condition of our herd and impliment an early doe harvest where needed.
I know on our Santo lease our deer are not only competing with a 100 head of cows but also an aoudad herd of probably 200 animals on 2000 acres.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Texas Drought - 08/09/11 01:46 AM

I think the majority of the adult deer will be ok. The fawn crop will suffer and the real impact will be in four to five years from now when that age class is missing from the herd

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Texas Drought - 08/09/11 01:58 AM

Bucks will probably be down on body weights thru the season this year, mass will also be off, with less mass probably will see more antler breakage also, younger bucks will probably be off a bit and older bucks that ate feed will look about the same as last season. Fawn numbers will be down if there is no fawning cover. I would continue to feed 24/7 and pray for rain to help the whole herd make it thru this winter into next spring.

Posted By: ouixch

Re: Texas Drought - 08/09/11 02:21 AM

I doubt you'll see a huge difference. The most apparent thing I see is that in the hill country, the overpopulation problem is really apparent right now. We are seeing why it is important to keep the numbers in check. This is most glaring in the suburban areas where the residents have been feeding the deer and they've not become dependent.

Posted By: Ranger Man

Re: Texas Drought - 08/09/11 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Bucks will probably be down on body weights thru the season this year, mass will also be off, with less mass probably will see more antler breakage also, younger bucks will probably be off a bit and older bucks that ate feed will look about the same as last season. Fawn numbers will be down if there is no fawning cover. I would continue to feed 24/7 and pray for rain to help the whole herd make it thru this winter into next spring.

X2

Posted By: Katy Tigers

Re: Texas Drought - 08/10/11 02:48 PM

I agree with all the above. But what scares me is that we will be still be talking about the "drought" this time next year. Because we will still be in one.....

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Texas Drought - 08/10/11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Katy Tigers
I agree with all the above. But what scares me is that we will be still be talking about the "drought" this time next year. Because we will still be in one.....
Good lord I hope not,but I'm afraid you're gonna be right. mad

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Texas Drought - 08/10/11 03:30 PM

In Gruene and surrounding subdivisions the deer are eating anything and everything in peoples yards,thats not unusual,what is though is when you walk down to the river there is zero browse(small liveoaks, spanish oaks,hackberry,cedar elm etc.)With oak blight taking lots of mature trees when they're gone there won't be any replacement trees-except cedar,this will have effects for a long,long time.I can walk through the woods by the river and see at least 50-100 deer on some occasions.Definitely need to take some out with bowhunting.

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Texas Drought - 08/10/11 06:48 PM

I am very afraid that droughts like this one will become the norm rather then the exception. The long term forecast does not look promising at all.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum