Texas Hunting Forum

All elk hunters

Posted By: lkji

All elk hunters - 08/03/11 09:22 PM

Do you guys prefer fixed broadheads or expandables I have been told to use fixed so i have been using g5s but i like to use expandables on deer I read an article that said you could use expandables as long as they deploy from the rear of the broadhead i just want to see what actual hunters have to say and help decide what to do I hear Rage is ok but i have used them for deer hunting and they keep deploying in my quiver before i can even get to my treestand i can just imagine what will happen in the rough terrain any help would be appreciated

Posted By: kmon11

Re: All elk hunters - 08/03/11 10:31 PM

I have never hunted Slk with a bow but have an outfitter friend in Montana who guides quite a few and he recomends Fixed cut on contact heads

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: All elk hunters - 08/04/11 12:23 AM

Fixed You may have to go thru a bone.

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: All elk hunters - 08/04/11 09:58 AM

I use fixed broadheads on elk. For the same reason as what Quackaholic1 said.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: All elk hunters - 08/04/11 11:59 AM

Fixed only on large game, if you are using a outfitter they may not allow exspanables.

Re: All elk hunters - 08/05/11 03:07 PM

that is what it thought if you are shooting through bone you would want a fixed blade thanks guys

Posted By: longone

Re: All elk hunters - 08/05/11 03:10 PM

cut on contact, steelforce is great for the $, the Tekan, and good ol Thunder heads hold up well..

Posted By: Stompy

Re: All elk hunters - 08/05/11 08:07 PM

I prefer 300 win mag rofl rifle

Posted By: cattle69

Re: All elk hunters - 08/05/11 11:51 PM

100 grn muzzy mx3

Posted By: mard928

Re: All elk hunters - 08/06/11 02:29 AM

For what it is worth. I had the chance to go on a DIY elk hunt in southern Colorado. One of the best hunting trips I have ever been on and I did not even get a shot. I to was torn between expandables or fixed. I went with fixed based on the advice of a hunting partner who had several years of elk hunting under his belt. When you work as hard as you do elk hunting getting into and out of elk country. The fewer things to chance not working the better. I am not saying that expandables won't work, but after that much climbing and work the fewer moving parts the better.

Re: All elk hunters - 08/06/11 02:04 PM

thanks for the info

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum