Texas Hunting Forum

Lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars, stadiums

Posted By: Chief Joe

Lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars, stadiums - 06/16/11 02:35 AM

A law allowing Ohioans with concealed-carry permits to bring guns to bars, restaurants and stadiums is on its way to Gov. John Kasich.

The Ohio Senate voted 25-7 this afternoon to approve amendments to Senate Bill 17, the guns-in-bars bill. Coupled with a 55-38 vote by the Ohio House earlier this afternoon, the bill heads to the governor for his signature.

Kasich indicated he will sign the bill. "I'm for the Second Amendment," he said of the right-to-bear-arms amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The law will allow people who have concealed-carry permits to bring them into bars, restaurants and other establishments that serve beer, wine and liquor as long as they are not drinking.
"We do indeed have a right to defend ourselves and our families anywhere we go. That includes restaurants, too," said Rep. Terry Johnson, R-McDermott during debate in the House today. "It will pass here today so why waste a lot of time on this?"

Johnson was right.

Republicans who control the Ohio House batted down six Democratic amendments. One rejected amendment would have required bars, restaurants and other establishments to post signs indicating concealed weapons could be brought onto the promises. The proposal, as it now stands, allows establishments to post signs saying guns are not allowed on the premises.

State Rep. Clayton R. Luckie, a Democrat from Dayton, said some insurance companies are telling bar and restaurant owners they will not insure them unless they prominently post signs forbidding guns on their property.

"You say you're not going to drink," Luckie said. "Why are you going to a bar anyway?"

Posted By: sshields

Re: Lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars, stadiums - 06/16/11 03:10 AM

Thats the way it is in Iowa you can even drink as long as you are not over .08 BAC

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars, stadiums - 06/16/11 12:45 PM

I guess every states politicians have a different viewpoint. Sould like a good law to me

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Lawmakers vote to allow guns in bars, stadiums - 06/16/11 12:53 PM

Wish Texas was this way. I believe I should be able to carry anywhere. If you don't want conceal carry, then post a 30.06 sign.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum