Texas Hunting Forum

Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession

Posted By: Halfadozen

Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/19/11 02:14 AM

Headed out to the ranch today with oldest son and good friend to pull our travel trailer and check on the ranch. We are just a few miles south of the PK East/West and Caddo fires, and of course they were very evident. Leaving FW we came up on a bunch of firetrucks, lights a blazing. We noticed pretty quickly that there was a hearse in the middle of the convoy. We followed the convoy for 100 miles. At every town, exits/overpasses, every available fire department was lining the road, full dress and saluting. We learned this was to honor the Eastland FF who lost his life protecting families, homes and ranches while fighting these wildfires. I just want to say thank you to all the FF's out there for your sacrifice and commitment. It was 100 degrees in Stephens County today - brutal! Thank you for your service!

Posted By: One Shot Two Kills

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/19/11 03:15 AM

Amazing the sacrifice they make; and sadly this fireman's family made the great sacrifice one can make.

Posted By: Hard Knocks

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/21/11 03:26 PM

Heard on the news this morning,that another HERO has lost his life fighting these fires.May God bless him,and the the others that stand beside him

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 01:46 AM

Oh No! Do you know what county? I just got a message from one of our own (FFREAD) on this forum, a firefighter out of Breckenridge. He has been on duty for 11 straight days fighting these fires, but is okay and finally at home resting. Thanks to all of our FF's for your efforts, sacrifice and willingness to do what it takes to keep our lives and property safe. You are truly heros!

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 02:02 AM

angel God Bless em all.

Posted By: chickenpants

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 02:13 AM

may the good lord watch over all the FF as well as bring some rain to help stop the fires

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 12:41 PM

Amen brother...gosh how bad we all need it!

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: gljshh
Headed out to the ranch today with oldest son and good friend to pull our travel trailer and check on the ranch. We are just a few miles south of the PK East/West and Caddo fires, and of course they were very evident. Leaving FW we came up on a bunch of firetrucks, lights a blazing. We noticed pretty quickly that there was a hearse in the middle of the convoy. We followed the convoy for 100 miles. At every town, exits/overpasses, every available fire department was lining the road, full dress and saluting. We learned this was to honor the Eastland FF who lost his life protecting families, homes and ranches while fighting these wildfires. I just want to say thank you to all the FF's out there for your sacrifice and commitment. It was 100 degrees in Stephens County today - brutal! Thank you for your service!

I will admit it...I would have been in tears after seeing something like that.

Posted By: janie

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Originally Posted By: gljshh

I will admit it...I would have been in tears after seeing something like that.

Same here. God bless them all for the sacrifices they make.

Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/22/11 02:35 PM

May god watch over their family angel

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/23/11 05:43 AM

His name was Greg Simmons from Eastland - volounteer for the past ten years or so, business owner, husband, father. Biggest thing to come through town since I moved to the area in 1992. Very sad. Thanks to all emergency personnel.

Posted By: bhunter

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/25/11 09:22 PM

We went to school together back in Odessa, I found out through Facebook from another freind. I havent even thought about him since moving away and then I see the funeral procession recorded and posted to my friends wall. Took my breath away.....

Re: Very moving sight - Eastland FF funeral procession - 04/26/11 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bhunter
We went to school together back in Odessa, I found out through Facebook from another freind. I havent even thought about him since moving away and then I see the funeral procession recorded and posted to my friends wall. Took my breath away.....

I bet it did. He was a true hero - actually volunteering to help those in harms way. I still get chills thinking about the funeral convoy. May God bring comfort to his family....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum