Texas Hunting Forum

Breeder Bucks to be euthanized

Posted By: Rowney

Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:01 AM

Link

I know where this place is, doing a job out that way now, didnt realize all of this was going on.

Posted By: LosCuernosRanch

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:06 AM

Crazy and scary at the same time.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:09 AM

First story on the 10 o clock news CH 8 in the DFW

Posted By: Curly

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:25 AM

Even the game warden said there was no sign of the disease but the TP&W is still gonna do it.
That's about right. Did I hear the word "economy" in there?
Not that anyone wants CWD in our deer herds but........

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:34 AM

They broke the law. They brought in illegal deer and co-mingled them with their deer so now they have to destroy the whole herd. They knew what they were doing was wrong and got caught. Just a bad deal for the deer as they did nothing wrong and they have to pay with their lives.

Posted By: Buckfvr

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:34 AM

You would think they could catch them and test them on the news report they were able to walk right up to them

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Buckfvr
You would think they could catch them and test them on the news report they were able to walk right up to them

You have to kill them to test them. Need an Obex (sp) to test and it can't come from a live animal without killing it.

Posted By: blackfoot

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:37 AM

Up in Alberta where I run there is CWD...Game wardens culled 1600 deer in the last 2 years out of my zones..well the Sask side wasn't culling so deer were crossing over into Alberta...anyways, my guide shot a deer this year that looks like it had it...middle of the day, deer is shaking its head side ways and up and down and acting weird....Bad stuff guys...Ate good though!!!

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
They broke the law. They brought in illegal deer and co-mingled them with their deer so now they have to destroy the whole herd. They knew what they were doing was wrong and got caught. Just a bad deal for the deer as they did nothing wrong and they have to pay with their lives.

Fine and/or arrest the law breakers, test the deer, if positive, destroy them, if negative, let them go. It's that simple.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

Fine and/or arrest the law breakers, test the deer, if positive, destroy them, if negative, let them go. It's that simple.

If you have to kill them to test them then that wouldn't work

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

You have to kill the deer or the deer has to be dead to remove the Obex to test it. Lawbreakers are in jail as they should be. Since the deer were illegally brought into the state with the borders closed then they have to be destroyed and tested. Can't take them back either as the borders are closed for moving deer in or out. Not a good deal for the deer like I said as they did nothing wrong. They pay the ultimate price for someones greed or arrogance.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 04:51 AM

Oh, my bad. Yeh, bad deal for the deer then.

Posted By: hunter254

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 06:20 AM

sounds like a bunch of [censored] to me!!

Posted By: TGR

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 07:08 AM

Eight years ago!?!? Seems a little late to be stopping a disease that could be so devestating. If they are so worried about it the herd should have been put down and tested long before these guys even had time for a trial.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 07:49 AM

TPW does this on every place that deer are suspected to be brought across state lines, not just this place. Rules are rules. At least the breeders know what will happen if they are caught. I think it is good that they stick to their guns. Just think if the border patrol was that effective. Do you think we would have all the illegal immigrants if they knew they would be shot when caught here illegally? The TPW is doing the right thing, the breeders are not!

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/03/10 08:53 AM

How very unfortunate for the deer! It's a shame that they have to pay with their lives for a stupid, foolish and utterly greedy act!!! I think the breeders got what they deserved, but why is the wife not being charged or indicted? I think they should be banned from breeding for such ignorance!!!

Posted By: kp143631

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/04/10 03:36 AM

Open the gate & let them go, when the TP&W show up Monday tell them someone left the gate open...

Posted By: tejaschaos

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/04/10 03:44 AM

Call me crazy, but I watched the segment and there was one buck that I might have considered a breeder. The rest had jacked up racks/ inferior genetics (nothing I would have imagined that would be on a "breeder" ranch). I'm not sure why anyone would take that kinda risk for that type of deer. Either way, glad they were caught!

Posted By: rtp

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/04/10 10:58 PM

Very sad all the way around. I personally dont like any of the breeding stuff going on. This is the kind of stuff people in other parts of the nation latch on to in forming their opinions of how we hunt here in Texas. Trust me, while we might think we have this growing big deer thing figured out, we are not looked upon with much respect by the rest of the nation. It has to do with the high fences and breeding operations. Everyone refers to us a deer farmers not hunters.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 01:58 AM

And yet they continue to come here to hunt.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 02:17 AM

Some do but most think what we do is not real hunting. Just another debate with no winner or right answer. Just someone trying to say their way of hunting is better.

Posted By: tj5

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 02:19 AM

To wait 8 years to kill the deer for testing yea right
But there going to do what they want to do

BUT i belive if NONE of the deer test Postive
The state SHOULD pay for every deer they killed
At the same rate they charge a person for state
Replacement fines See if there so gunho about
killing 75 deer then

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: rtp
Some do but most think what we do is not real hunting. Just another debate with no winner or right answer. Just someone trying to say their way of hunting is better.

Are these "guys" someone who are hunting with you or just calling you to tell you their ways are better than yours and downgrade what you do? If they are here hunting then what is their beef since they paid their money and are here hunting? Just curious and not trying to get off topic.

Posted By: swmays

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 02:33 AM

http://www.livestockweekly.com/papers/10/03/11/whl11deerstudygroup.asp

If you are a subscriber to livestock weekly you can read this article. It's an articulate presentation of the North American Model vs. the Texas Model of wildlife management.

Edit: It's long. The first half visits IDM and QDM.

Posted By: n-all

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 02:42 AM

not the first time those dudes have been in trouble...

Posted By: mandrake

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:09 AM

I would rather they destroy and test 75 deer then 750 or 7,500 or 75,000. The lawbreakers should be paying for the destruction and testing as well. After all it wouldn't be necessary but for their selfish criminal act.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:30 AM

Are these "guys" someone who are hunting with you or just calling you to tell you their ways are better than yours and downgrade what you do? If they are here hunting then what is their beef since they paid their money and are here hunting? Just curious and not trying to get off topic.

No, not hunters I have visiting. I participate on a number of out of state forums and just stating the overall attitude on those other boards. I think some of what they have to say has merit and alot of it is out of jealousy.

Everytime there is a big deer taken from Texas, everyone assumes it is from a high fence and/or breeder operation. I try to tell them that most of the hunters in Texas deal with the same issues as them but they chose to believe otherwise ie, hunting small parcel of land, high hunter density and high pressured deer. They think everyone is hunting on thousands of acres, sit in a stand and what for the feeder to go off, and shoot a 130" or better buck within the first 10 minutes of the season. In other words we are spoiled and lazy when it comes to hunting. It is really bad in states that do not allow baiting.

Whenever I post things that have to do with facts of hunting in Texas the thread(s) will suddenly become dead. The choose what they want to believe. Until I started participating on these boards, I had no idea we where viewed as we are. There is a lot of "if its brown its down" mentality which I have no problem with. I dont hunt that way and chose to manage my place differently and dont understand why they would ever call what I do is deer farming. I let my bucks mature and I provide supplemental feed to them most of the year. How is that deer farming? I put in probably 50-55 legitimate days hunting each season and I may or may not take a buck.

The kind of publicity the original topic was about is what will make the headlines and sully our reputation more. I hate it.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: swmays

If you are a subscriber to livestock weekly you can read this article. It's an articulate presentation of the North American Model vs. the Texas Model of wildlife management.

Edit: It's long. The first half visits IDM and QDM.

I think I have read this but Im not a subscriber. Was this about Trophy deer management vs Quality deer management? I have tried to explain to these guys out of state that most of what is going on in Texas is QDM and not TDM(IDM).

Posted By: swmays

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 04:00 AM

RTP - That's likely the one.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 04:02 AM

Here is a previous discussion on another case explaining some of the serious problems surrounding a CWD outbreak or Quarantine.

CWD

Posted By: Procowboy

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 04:58 AM

Its kind of funny. You bring a deer across state lines, you'll go to prison. You bring a person across the border illegally, they get welfare, and healthcare. Makes ya wonder.

Posted By: Michael Rosamond

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:17 PM

The deer come from Arkansas where there has never been a case of CWD. Besides that it has been way past time for the deer to be sick if they had it.

Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:33 PM

These idiots brought the deer across illegally. They shouldnt be released. Test them all. The owners should be the ones paying restitution to state for the time and effort to investigate, prosecute, and ultimately deal with their animals.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:46 PM

Something that could be scary is:
Why did they wait several years to euthanzie this group in ET.
Did it have something to do with test result they got back from RGV ranch group? (These were resent illegal imports).
Or is it that they are finding more CWD in the area either group came from.
Meaning the biologist are not telling us all yet??

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/05/10 03:48 PM

They have been fighting the state in court since this happened originally. State finally won. That's why it has taken so long.

Sad thing to me is, if the deer had walked here from Arkansas they'd be legal.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/06/10 01:17 AM

I want to know why the state would eithanize, when they could take some kids out and let them hunt. May have something to do with the land they reside on, but its a shame to let some good deer simply be put down, when there are many kids who would love to have the chance, especially out there where there arent that many deer.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/06/10 02:12 AM

These are tame deer inside a large pen with black tarp on the fence. I saw the news story.

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/06/10 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
They have been fighting the state in court since this happened originally. State finally won. That's why it has taken so long.

X2, Exactly what I was thinking..... cheers

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/06/10 04:36 AM

The real shame is that deer hunting is taking on aspects of just another big business. Tame deer, high fences, like livestock, bought, sold, and traded. There was a time......never mind.

Posted By: LM1

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/06/10 06:28 AM

Just a sad story any way you look at it!

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 02:09 AM

I'm with retfuz...

Posted By: zac02

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 07:59 AM

upsetting is the only thing that comes to mind TPWD can spend money on nonsense but to test these deer is to much! just upsetting and I understand the damage that could be done IF one animal had an issue but it's completely unknown weather or not there is an issue... I hope there is a loop hole and they get the scum baggiest lawyer to sue the out of the state and win!

Edited by Mr. Clean....As stated in the rules, bypassing the language filters is a no-no. This is your warning.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 01:07 PM

I am as dissapointed as anyone that these magnificent animals met their fate in the manner that they did. I am also convinced that the deer, not a single one had CWD as the TPWD was worried about....also, if the deer had walked over from Arkansas then everything would be fine!!?

However, rules are set in place for a reason, Deer Hunting in Texas is a Billion dollar a year business for this state and Many Ranches have their entire livelyhood tied up in deer hunting. "IF" one of these deer had been infected then it could bring the Texas deer population to it's knees, thus ruining an economical flow that this state is as dependant upon same as oil..... in my opinion.

You want to get mad, get mad at the dip sticks that broke the rules in the first place by illegally importing deer across state lines. Sure TPWD "could" have given a Kitchen pass to these deer and released them or sold them or whatever, but what happens next time....WHEN THERE is ONE DEER that is sick? They must maintain the standard for others to follow, break that standard just once and the dam breaks and everything gets washed away with it.

It's not easy seeing innocent animals slain for a reason we disagree with or do not understand. However, after growing up in New Mexico and seeing First hand what CWD has done to the Mule Deer Popoulation there, I can tell you I applaud the TPWD for maintaining their standards and doing what I believe to have been the "right thing." Just Saying. soap

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 01:18 PM

Very nicely stated.

Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 07:03 PM

I drive by that place almost everyday on the way to work. I have heard some not so nice things about the guys who were running that place that I wont repeat on here. They broke the law and TPWD is enforcing that law period. I dont feel sorry for them one bit. I hunt public land that is very close to that place and I would not be a happy camper if the deer I've been hunting got sick cause of those guys' selfishness

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 08:21 PM

Great point Sig.

Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 09:34 PM

Good job TPWD
Bad job scumbags
Stop high fences and breeding, mother nature or the governement eventually going to screw us

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 09:55 PM

and if a frog had wings it wouldnt bust his butt when he landed. 2 different issues all together

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/07/10 11:18 PM

here's a link to the follow up story..
http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=111421344&sec=600682

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 01:32 AM

seems like a better kill process could have been used

Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 02:14 AM

OMG i had 1 bull shot and 6 cows killed because they might be sick, hell they were not even high fence, bovines, guess what if you farm deer get ready, IMO, the more we manage the more they manage us

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 04:24 AM

Saw the news tonight of them taking them out.

So do you think breeders should own the deer or the state? In other states the breeders own them and no way can the state come and kill them all unless they prove there is an illness. These guys broke the law and knew what could happen. Sends a warning don't be messing around period.

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 04:27 AM

That Game warden was pretty matter of fact when he said all deer in texas are owned by the state.

Yet, what other property of the state can you buy and sell? Doesnt make any sense.

Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 04:43 AM

deer will always be wild game, thats how they are going to control your hunting, high fence just helps them out, 20 years from now it will all be zoos, a way of life gone, money destroyed all this

Posted By: RockinU

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 04:58 AM

LMAO...there are roughly 172 million acres in Texas...gonna take longer than 20 years to finish High Fencing it...

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 05:06 AM

Maybe something else broke. lol.

Posted By: LM1

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 05:32 AM

Whats up with the firing squad on shooting tripods shooting in their rifles at the deers expense! that footage was sickening. Shooting fish in a barrell? WTHECK?

Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 05:59 AM

The ugly little secrete that no one talks about is the illegal trade of buying and selling trophy buck semen straws. It is a heck of a lot easier to transport straws of semen than it is to dart and transport live animals...... All of you liberals that are preaching about the poor deer, well go and talk to the hunters in Wisconsin about CWD and what it was like to shoot 12,000 whitetail deer and haul them to a dump and have them buried in a giant pit!

Re: Breeder Bucks to be euthanized - 12/08/10 02:10 PM

I didn't see any "poor deer" arguments here. From my short experience this forum has a wide range of opinions but the majority of us agree on preserving nature and keeping our hunting and fishing rights to pass on to our youngsters. I don't think single shots from the back of a truck was thought out.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum