Texas Hunting Forum

Stuff left on a lease?

Posted By: First Cook

Stuff left on a lease? - 10/03/10 11:14 PM

What do you think is right? We had a hunter leave on bad terms two seasons ago and he left his cabin, blind and two feeders. He was called numerous times about but never returned the calls since he left. He went to the lease this past weekend and removed his stuff without lefting the rancher of us know what he was doing. Any wisdom?

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/03/10 11:21 PM

good riddance, don't worry about it

Posted By: JMS

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/03/10 11:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about it either, since it was his stuff, but he should have notified someone. Seems like anything left over 90days is abandoned property and the landowner has rights to it, but I am not sure.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/03/10 11:33 PM

Him entering the place after his lease ran out would be considered tresspassing I would think. I am sure by law he has a certin amount of time after the lease expires to remove his property but you can bet he dont have 2 years!

Just be glad he didnt take anything other than what was his. I have seen too many times where something like that turns into theft and vandalism.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/03/10 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JMS
I wouldn't worry about it either, since it was his stuff, but he should have notified someone. Seems like anything left over 90days is abandoned property and the landowner has rights to it, but I am not sure.

What they said.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 01:02 AM

At least he is gone, we change all the locks when someone leaves on bad terms (combinations)

Posted By: tkuehn5410

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 01:09 AM

We had someone do the exact thing at one of our leases. The feeder had been there for almost 3 years and we showed up mid-November only to find the feeder gone. I had hunted it just a day or two before and was shocked while walking to the blind early one morning to go hunt only to find the feeder missing.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Him entering the place after his lease ran out would be considered tresspassing I would think. I am sure by law he has a certin amount of time after the lease expires to remove his property but you can bet he dont have 2 years!

Just be glad he didnt take anything other than what was his. I have seen too many times where something like that turns into theft and vandalism.

I don't know how the law is written, but would think it was trespassing, but would be up to the owner to file charges. I would make sure only his stuff was missing, then have a laugh and get on with hunting

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 02:12 AM

I had a talk with a Game Warden last week about the exact problem and he stated that the items that were left do not have to be returned to the person that left them. As remaining lease members you are not legally responceable to return the items.

Posted By: First Cook

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 03:10 AM

ttt

Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 03:19 AM

He's gone, Good bye & forget about That's what I would do.

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXAN1970
He's gone, Good bye & forget about That's what I would do.

up

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 02:18 PM

Sounds like someone was using his stuff in his absence and misses it now.

Posted By: copperhead

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 03:19 PM

Another way to cover your bases is to send a certified return reciept letter to the person saying he had 90 days to get his belongs or forfeit them and when picking them up to make arrangements with the owner and/or lease manager to pick these items up.

Posted By: jmoore

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
good riddance, don't worry about it

this

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 05:32 PM

Sounds like he was using the lease as a storage and now after two years he comes and claims it now that he has use for it?

Lesson learned! Put something into the lease agreement with a time limit to prevent future problems like that!

He tresspassed to get what he figured was still his stuff, but in reality it really wasn't.

You could probably make his day by telling him to return it, and tell him if he doesn't he was going to have tresspassing and theft charges filed on him!

Tell him you would drop the theft charges if he pays the going rate storage fee, but the tresspass charge would be up to the landowner!

Posted By: mideon2000

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 06:43 PM

he did a no no but it dont matter now he is gone. yall shulda sold his stuff the next year after he had been contacted. keeping his stuff (and im sure it was used also) is just asking him to come back. if nothings there he just looks like another crack-head to the cops.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Stuff left on a lease? - 10/04/10 06:48 PM

Like an old girlfriends tooth brush...if its gone she has no reason to come back!

Leave it be.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum