Texas Hunting Forum

Aggies, Jimbo out?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:06 PM

Hey Aggies what are you hearing?
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:07 PM

From the Texas Tribune this morning: $75 million buyout.

Texas A&M University is expected to fire head football coach Jimbo Fisher on Sunday, according to two sources familiar with discussions.

The university will owe Fisher more than $75 million to buy out his contract, a record amount of money owed to a football coach.

According to a source familiar with discussions, no public money will be used to pay out the massive contract. When major college football programs buy out their football coaches, they often use donor funds. The Texas A&M University System directed questions to the university athletics department, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A press conference announcing the decision is expected later Sunday.

The A&M System Board of Regents, which hires and fires athletic coaches, discussed firing the football coach during the executive session portion of their board meeting last week, sources confirm. TexAgs, an A&M fan site, first reported the decision.

The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

University administrators stunned the college football world when they announced the 10-year, $75M contract in 2017 that lured Fisher away from Florida State University. The deal was staggering for both its duration and its guaranteed annual pay.

In 2021, the board extended the contract by four years after reports that Fisher might leave A&M for Louisiana State University. Under that extension, Fisher made $9 million annually.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:07 PM

This guy knows. He’s dialed in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RSTX

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:12 PM

I'm ok with letting him go. He was an average coach. But, who are we going to get? Not like there are dozens of top shelf coaches out there who want to come here.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:17 PM

You can’t fire him after a win.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:20 PM

Kingsbury..... .
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
You can’t fire him after a win.

Leach rolled over in his grave last night
Posted By: Espy

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:24 PM

Dave Aranda might be available

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:33 PM

You would think they already have their target right?

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:37 PM

I would imagine their mind was made up a couple weeks ago. Already have a target and a plan in place to try to keep players and recruits.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 04:43 PM

The logical replacement is Elko. Can probably keep most defensive players and recruits.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:10 PM

Not necessarily a splash hire is it? That seems like more of a lateral move for A&M, hell just paid Jimbo for another year and see what you can find next year.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:13 PM

[Linked Image]$75,000,000.00 [Linked Image]

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
[Linked Image]$75,000,000.00 [Linked Image]

Yo Jimbo made out like a bandit, he's probably the only happy one in this whole situation.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:27 PM

I would imagine their mind was made up a couple weeks ago. Already have a target and a plan in place to try to keep players and recruits.

Saw on twitter that the board of regents and AD made the decision Thursday.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Saw on twitter that the board of regents and AD made the decision Thursday.

They didn't want Jimbo to beat LSU.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 05:58 PM

Nice that they will use donors' funds to pay that $75 million, and not public funds. Still, if I were a donor I would wonder if that's how I intended my gift to be blown.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Nice that they will use donors' funds to pay that $75 million, and not public funds. Still, if I were a donor I would wonder if that's how I intended my gift to be blown.

I have a feeling that $75 million is a Hookers and Blow fund level for some of the donors. Like one of us spending $50 on a gun raffle ticket or something. We are aware of it, but consider it to be worth while.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:16 PM

Unfortunate, that’s a big check for a guy to go away.

75 million could build a nice dorm complex, update some buildings etc.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:19 PM

True. My wife works in a 1960's era building on campus. It needs to be torn down and replaced, but nobody really cares. Football is exciting. People come to watch. Hell, the attendance (officially) at last nights game between two mediocre teams was 103,000!!! Nobody wants to thrown money at good, necessary items when excitement is more...exciting.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:31 PM

We did a tour. I was shocked at the state of some of the buildings. The education building looked straight outta the 60s with no changes.

Dorms that are on campus, not much better. I judge dorms by how many window units I see. A&M was up there with Ole Miss.
There are apartments across the street.

The union building was old, but kept up nicely. The building with the flags.

The whole tour I thought Jimbos buyout could do a lot of updates.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:35 PM

$75 Million...well, bye! I would leave in a heart beat.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 06:45 PM

Jimbo Fisher will get paid more to NOT coach Texas A&M than his former QB — Jameis Winston — has been paid in his entire NFL career.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 08:43 PM

I read he has no offset in his contract. So he will get the full 76.8 million, plus can get a job immediately.

He could certainly get a Miss State type job for 5 million a year.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 09:04 PM

Never heard of him.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 10:05 PM

Following in the footsteps of Emory Bellard, Jackie Sherrill, and Mike Leach, don't be surprised if Jimbo doesn't land in Starkvegas.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 10:32 PM

I read he has no offset in his contract. So he will get the full 76.8 million, plus can get a job immediately.

He could certainly get a Miss State type job for 5 million a year.

Yep and 30 million within 30 days

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Following in the footsteps of Emory Bellard, Jackie Sherrill, and Mike Leach, don't be surprised if Jimbo doesn't land in Starkvegas.

Hell with 76 million, he'll be on a beach somewhere.
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 10:35 PM

Is there a coach out there that can give AandM their wishlist season record? That is a stupid amount of money.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 10:40 PM

I remember when they coughed up $10 million to fire Sherill.
That was unheard of at the time.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Hell with 76 million, he'll be on a beach somewhere.

This is true.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/12/23 11:26 PM

Ole Jimbo gets to run from the Aggie clan with a giant pocketful of cash and a huge smile on his face. SMDH
Posted By: majekman

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 12:55 AM

Aggies got bluffed with the planted rumor of Jimbo going to LSU before ND coach took LSU job 2yrs ago Aggies panicked
Aggies swallowed that bluff hook line and sinker and ponyed up the phat cash. Then he goes 7-5
Jimbo or more so his agent Sexon played Aggies like a fine violin

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Ole Jimbo gets to run from the Aggie clan with a giant pocketful of cash and a huge smile on his face. SMDH

Who knows, maybe his plan from the beginning was to get fired and take the cash out option.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:29 AM

Deion to A&M??

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:30 AM

Trashcan Dan always the best ideas.

“Ima take this job and fail at my job” said no college football coach ever.

Kinda tells me more about how your brain works though.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:44 AM

I wonder if his replacement will demand the Jimbo special.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Trashcan Dan always the best ideas.

“Ima take this job and fail at my job” said no college football coach ever.

Kinda tells me more about how your brain works though.

You gave him more credit that I would have there. I wonder if the 12th man is walking funny this evening?

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:49 AM

Who knows, maybe his plan from the beginning was to get fired and take the cash out option.

You know he might be right!

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:55 AM

Im sure your right. loco_too rofl
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Espy

Im sure your right. loco_too rofl

Ese agrees.... That just tells you how bat [censored] crazy this thought was.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 04:27 AM

bang

It would take me 1,000 years to earn that much money at my current pay.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Homer Jay

bang

It would take me 1,000 years to earn that much money at my current pay.

Want to feel even better about your pay? The Mississippi State coach looks like he's about 21 and trying desperately to impress a girl. His salary, at MISSISSIPPI F'N STATE (not a wealthy school relative to the rest of the SEC)....... $3 MILLION/year! mad
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 01:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 01:47 PM

It could pay for a cult treatment program for Aggies.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:10 PM

Jimbo really had a tough gig at Aggieville. Lose and they will pay you off. How bad would it really be to be Jimbo? Worst thing about being Jimbo would be your name, but you can call me whatever you want for $75 million payoff.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:26 PM

I watched some of Bjorne press conference. He did a pretty good job. He said they started meetings early last week.
They also fired Jimbos guy from Florida state.

Seems like he said the first payment was from 12th man foundation and future payments would come from cutbacks with athletic budget.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:29 PM

I did see Mississippi State fired their coach today. They paid Leach 5 million a year.

I can see Jimbo taking that. Nothing like 2 paychecks. Plus, will give him some jobs for staff they let go at A&M.
Same colors, so his son can keep most his wardrobe.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:30 PM

I watched some of Bjorne press conference. He did a pretty good job. He said they started meetings early last week.
They also fired Jimbos guy from Florida state.

Seems like he said the first payment was from 12th man foundation and future payments would come from cutbacks with athletic budget.

At half time A&M was presented with a check for $160 million from the 12th Man Foundation. Then Jimbo was fired immediately after the game.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:36 PM

https://youtu.be/PxBNbWFyEE8

Funny Jimbo SEC short
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenBob
Jimbo really had a tough gig at Aggieville. Lose and they will pay you off. How bad would it really be to be Jimbo? Worst thing about being Jimbo would be your name, but you can call me whatever you want for $75 million payoff.

lets all be honest here. What successful big name coach would not require a huge golden parachute to leave a successful program to go coach at a historical mediocre program ran by overzealous booster club?

You couldnt find one. Period. This is the only way for A&M to get a big name coach. This is what happens when you expectations are not in alignment with historical reality.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:52 PM

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday. Huge Aggie.

His list of replacements was laughable. He thinks every coach in the world wants the A&M job. He mentioned people like McCarthy, Deion, Dan Campbell (Aggie), Ryan Day, Belichick. He even said Kirby Smart.
I told him you can’t buy loyalty. It’s like a sugar daddy looking for true love.

I can’t help but feel they have a guy lined up. Probably have some verbal through an agent as to interest level.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:56 PM

His list of replacements was laughable. He thinks every coach in the world wants the A&M job. He mentioned people like McCarthy, Deion, Dan Campbell (Aggie), Ryan Day, Belichick. He even said Kirby Smart.
I told him you can’t buy loyalty. It’s like a sugar daddy looking for true love.

I can’t help but feel they have a guy lined up. Probably have some verbal through an agent as to interest level.

yelp thats delusional Aggie land. I would love to see the program bring some honor and clout back to State of Texas College football, but they will never get out if their own way.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:56 PM

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

lets all be honest here. What successful big name coach would not require a huge golden parachute to leave a successful program to go coach at a historical mediocre program ran by overzealous booster club?

You couldnt find one. Period. This is the only way for A&M to get a big name coach. This is what happens when you expectations are not in alignment with historical reality.

Exactly…
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 03:58 PM

mediocre???????

Come on Bobos you know aggie RUNS THIS STATE!! If you don't believe me, just ask them. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 04:18 PM

I think A&Ms realistic candidate is Mike Elko.

A&M people really want Dan Lanning, but Oregon is a better job in my opinion. Plus he has a 20 million buyout. I don’t see them throwing in another 20 million.

Lance Liepold at Kansas has done a good job. Not a big splash.

It’s hard for some guys to come to south and recruit. Boise State coach was a good coach, but was lost at Auburn in southern recruiting.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 04:48 PM

I would laugh as much as i did when the BIG gave their letter to TTUN if aTm hired primetime.

His hubris and arrogance would be like having football
Johnny as a HC.

Reality needs to set in for aggie. They are a has been, as BOBO stared above, and any coach they want to come there will have a similar style buy out clause that Jimbo did. They are like that couple that just cant get ahead on car payments and keep dumping a car and getting deeper into debt in car payments.

Reality check: is it any wonder two of the top 10 payouts to fire a coach were from aggie?

They need to get comfortable with 8-9 wins a season and just be good with it. Unless they want to go back to the Big12 (they could do well there starting next year and maybe get 9-10 wins a season). Now that they will have to face UT and OU regularly, they might be lucky to win 8 a season going forward. Even with a 12 team playoff, aggie will not be sniffing a playoff berth for a long time, unless they can get someone like a smart or saban.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 04:53 PM

"They need to get comfortable with 8-9 wins a season and just be good with it." This line speaks better about your yankee arrogance than anything about Aggies giving up.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 05:00 PM

This brings up what I’m curious about.

Does the next guy get the same Jimbo deal? Guaranteed? I think they would demand it if they are making less than Jimbo, who is sitting at home. And they are cleaning Jimbos mess.

They will have to buyout his entire coaching staff.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 05:13 PM

This brings up what I’m curious about.

Does the next guy get the same Jimbo deal? Guaranteed? I think they would demand it if they are making less than Jimbo, who is sitting at home. And they are cleaning Jimbos mess.

They will have to buyout his entire coaching staff.

Depends on the coach and program they are coming from. Up and coming non power 5, not so much of a chance. Top 10 power 5 absolutely.

if I was them Id go after Jeff Monken, although I dont think he can be bought

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I would laugh as much as i did when the BIG gave their letter to TTUN if aTm hired primetime.

His hubris and arrogance would be like having football
Johnny as a HC.

Reality needs to set in for aggie. They are a has been, as BOBO stared above, and any coach they want to come there will have a similar style buy out clause that Jimbo did. They are like that couple that just cant get ahead on car payments and keep dumping a car and getting deeper into debt in car payments.

Reality check: is it any wonder two of the top 10 payouts to fire a coach were from aggie?

They need to get comfortable with 8-9 wins a season and just be good with it. Unless they want to go back to the Big12 (they could do well there starting next year and maybe get 9-10 wins a season). Now that they will have to face UT and OU regularly, they might be lucky to win 8 a season going forward. Even with a 12 team playoff, aggie will not be sniffing a playoff berth for a long time, unless they can get someone like a smart or saban.

I know I’m right when we disagree. Thanks

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 05:59 PM

The idea that any team should be okay with mediocrity is asinine. Being settled into mediocrity would reign in lower than that. When you say that out loud you should hear how dumb it sounds and stop.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:11 PM

The idea that any team should be okay with mediocrity is asinine. Being settled into mediocrity would reign in lower than that. When you say that out loud you should hear how dumb it sounds and stop.

ya’ll should go offer Kirby Smart 184million buyout then.

Bet he still cant produce what you think A&M is capable of.

you are living in a 4 year dream from 90-94

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:13 PM

Ought to hire th AFA coach, look what he has done with less "advantaged" athletes
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:16 PM

Lanning from Oregon might have a shot at the job.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:17 PM

Bjork flat out said that they do not have a guy lined up.

Any established coach out there will command a salary at least equal to what Jimbo was getting. Aggie has already admitted that 10 years guaranteed was huge financial mistake, so you would think they won't be making that mistake a 3rd time (then again, they're not very prudent or realistic). They will also be on the hook for buying out whoever they bring in. So, it's going to be another huge financial commitment. And I really don't think many of the initial names surfacing are legitimate candidates. Take a guy like Mike Norvell at FSU. Why in the world would he want to leave what he's built up at FSU with a much easier path to the playoffs every year in the ACC?

Unless they decide on another ridiculous over the top contract for a big name guy, they are realistically looking at someone like Elko at Duke or Jeff Traylor at UTSA.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:20 PM

Gotta like what Traylor has done. That would be a big jump.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Ought to hire th AFA coach, look what he has done with less "advantaged" athletes

Except they lost their minds last two games. But Calhoun is former USAFA grad he isnt leaving.

The Army coach is who Id go after personally.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:26 PM

My very well connected Miss. State friend in Jackson, TN says the MSU faithful want to offer Jimbo the now-open job there. I told him there's no way Jimbo is taking one of the lowest level SEC jobs immediately after getting fired. There's absolutely no reason for him to take any job, much less right away.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
My very well connected Miss. State friend in Jackson, TN says the MSU faithful want to offer Jimbo the now-open job there. I told him there's no way Jimbo is taking one of the lowest level SEC jobs immediately after getting fired. There's absolutely no reason for him to take any job, much less right away.

i'd be playing Jimmy Buffet tunes somewhere myself
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:31 PM

Some dark horses but reasonable fits, Matt Campbell at ISU, Liepold at KU, Klielman at KSU and McGuire at TTU.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Some dark horses but reasonable fits, Matt Campbell at ISU, Liepold at KU, Klielman at KSU and McGuire at TTU.

Gundy too

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:49 PM

A&M is 4-6 against Miss State, in last 10 meetings.

I think it’s easier to stay in coaching (if that’s what you want) than come off the couch. I can see Jimbo doing it. They paid Leach 5 million a year.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 06:49 PM

you mean take a job where you can coach and do things your way? Not have to answer to booster club with you didnt have a top 5 finish.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:06 PM

If it’s still in your blood it’s hard to stay away. Art Briles coached high school football and semi pro in Italy for chump change. He is a multi millionaire but still wanted to coach. Jimbo should retire but I would bet he is working somewhere in a year or so.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:16 PM

If it’s still in your blood it’s hard to stay away. Art Briles coached high school football and semi pro in Italy for chump change. He is a multi millionaire but still wanted to coach. Jimbo should retire but I would bet he is working somewhere in a year or so.

I would take the money and run but coaches are a weird bunch, they are very competitive deep down and need to scratch that itch. I've had a few opportunities to get back in but haven't just due to my family situation. Its hard not coaching some days. You never feel satisfied with how you left things, not matter how good or bad.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:20 PM

I think A&M and Miss State are very similar. Not in a bad way. MSU has good fans, loud. Nice campus, they love their football. Have had some success, but often mediocre.

If I was Jimbo I would let them pay me 400k a month. I think it’s a good fit for several reasons.
If he wants to coach

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:23 PM

He won't forfeit any part of the buy out by coaching again right away?

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
He won't forfeit any part of the buy out by coaching again right away?

nope.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:32 PM

Bet he still can produce what you think A&M is capable of.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gotta love it when facts get in the way of hard earned feelings.

The record clearly shows aTm has been a mediocre program. Aside from a couple of years over the last 5 decades, they have been a perennial 7-8 win team (with more sub .500 years than 10+ win seasons).

I respect aggie fans for their feeling that aTm is a legitimate contender team, but that would be the same respect i have for TTUN interim game coach crying on national tv invoking the name of the Lord and throwing F-bombs and crying they are the victims…its all nonsense and feeling when fact stares them straight in the face.

As i have said many times before, win a conference championship and sniff the playoff talk, you don’t even need to make it, just be in the discussion, and then we can talk about how you are better than mediocre.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 07:51 PM

Did you learn not to focus on what was being discussed or do you typically repsond to somethig that just suits your agenda? Pretty sure most are dicussing the notion they are NOT satisfied with mediocrity.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 08:05 PM

I respect aggie fans for their feeling that aTm is a legitimate contender team, but that would be the same respect i have for TTUN interim game coach crying on national tv invoking the name of the Lord and throwing F-bombs and crying they are the victims…its all nonsense and feeling when fact stares them straight in the face.

As i have said many times before, win a conference championship and sniff the playoff talk, you don’t even need to make it, just be in the discussion, and then we can talk about how you are better than mediocre.

I don't know what TTUN stands for, but I assume you're referring to Michigan. He was cursing and crying in that interview, but nowhere in that speech did he say they are the victims. Full disclosure, I hate the Big 10 because it's the most boring brand of football in the country, but I don't see how that interview has anything to do with the the A&M discussion.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 08:15 PM

Hud, i do respect you and i get what you are saying, but sometimes what you read into a thread is not what is being discussed, similarly the same way what i read into a thread is not what is being discussed.

The question was asked, who do aggies go after….my answer was simple, they need to get used to being the mediocre team they have been because what big name coach is going to go to CS and coach a team that has been medicore when the fans think they are God’s gift to college football…its a lose lose for any coach that wants to entertain an offer…u less it is significantly back loaded with tens of millions like Jimbo’s was. It jist isnt a marquee program to go after any coach such as the sabans, smarts, days or even rileys. Aggie will have to be content to build into something, and that will be tough sledding knowing they will have at least several losses a year in their SEC schedule. I mean if you take away the low life teams that every SEC team plays and pads their schedule with, aTm is winning about 3-4 games a season in the SEC…that is just not good. And what coach is going to want to come into the situation where the fanbase expects a natty every year (its always, “this is the year” and they mean it with whole heart sincerity, but not knowing there is next to zero chance it will happen).

The aggie fans need to get that mindset out of their heads and build on little things, build up to being a occasional contender before you are a perennial contender. The fanbase wont allow that and they wont find a coach who can do what they want, which is turn the program into an alabama or a georgia or an OSU in a year. Just not going to happen at aTm. Its a process.

That is why i said what i said, and it is valid. The reactions i get from aggie fans tells me my assessment of their fandom is also valid. They think they have been there all along, but fact says otherwise. Get your head straight on the fact aTm is simply another of many mediocre teams and that will make it much easier to build your program up. And next time don’t sign a 10 year 90million dollar contract for a dude that has barely proven anything.

(Those last sentences were not directed at anyone in particular, just the fanbase that is loyal to kyle field)

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 08:19 PM

I don't know what TTUN stands for, but I assume you're referring to Michigan. He was cursing and crying in that interview, but nowhere in that speech did he say they are the victims. Full disclosure, I hate the Big 10 because it's the most boring brand of football in the country, but I don't see how that interview has anything to do with the the A&M discussion.

Anytime i can bring to light the cheaters up north (TCUN…substitute “team” and you get TTUN) into a discussion about cfb, i will, esp since some on this forum are defending the cheaters and justifying their actions.

Anyway, please dont watch BIG football then if you dont like it. Seems to be the only conference that plays defense these days, but once playoff games happen in home stadiums in the dead of winter, that style of football may have some advantages. We’ll see.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 08:19 PM

Aggs being "penalized" for trying to improve themselves - oh well. Keep on trying to keep them "in their place" and see how that works for you. Football success might not be so noteworthy, but their passion and perseverance are.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 08:37 PM

Aggs being "penalized" for trying to improve themselves - oh well. Keep on trying to keep them "in their place" and see how that works for you. Football success might not be so noteworthy, but their passion and perseverance are.

not penalized, merely highlighting what maybe more of a booster failure/expectations then a coaching failure. Aggies loose their memory pretty quick. Thats all.

I love to see A&M head back to the early 90’s when RC and the program was wrecking shop, unfortunately I don't see it happening. I still root for them to win.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:00 PM

I remember reading Jackie Sherrill was selling cars in the Houston area when he took the job in Starkvegas after leaving Aggieland. A coach can go 8-3 or even 7-4 and keep his job leading the Bulldogs, with a win against Ole Miss of course.

Now we get to see if the Aggies are able to lure Lane Kiffin away from Ole Miss. It would be interesting to see what Lane could do with the level of talent he can get to play in College Station.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:02 PM

Anyway, please dont watch BIG football then if you dont like it. Seems to be the only conference that plays defense these days, but once playoff games happen in home stadiums in the dead of winter, that style of football may have some advantages. We’ll see.

Believe me, I typically don't waste my viewing hours on Big 10 except when Fox promos are cramming it in my face all week long. Big 10 apologists will say it's great defense, but the rest of the world knows that it's abysmal offense. I watched that game, and it's kinda hard to defend PSU and Michigan combining for 134 yards of passing. Or the 3rd time this year that Iowa has had a college football record low Over/Under (this week the Under 27.5 hit for Iowa vs. Rutgers) as a result of excellent defense. Aside from Michigan and tOSU, PSU and Iowa are pretenders and the rest of the teams are terrible.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:08 PM

Now we get to see if the Aggies are able to lure Lane Kiffin away from Ole Miss.

He makes $9mm per year at Ole Miss. His buyout is not public, but it is believed to be 6 years. So A&M would have to pay him a sizable increase over his current $9mm AND pay Ole Miss whatever the buyout is. Combined, that would be somewhere in the $20mm/year range. Not likely to happen.
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:09 PM

I hope Arkansas doesn't think about going after Jimbo.. We'll need a new head coach probably by the end of the season if not next season. I like Pittman, but I don't think he can get us where we need to be.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by B Razorback
I hope Arkansas doesn't think about going after Jimbo.. We'll need a new head coach probably by the end of the season if not next season. I like Pittman, but I don't think he can get us where we need to be.

I saw a video of the Arkansas Team watching The Polar Express during halftime of this week's football game.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:39 PM

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czje9MjRHNp/?igshid=b3pocHBrNTBob2Ey

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 09:42 PM

Bet he still can produce what you think A&M is capable of.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gotta love it when facts get in the way of hard earned feelings.

The record clearly shows aTm has been a mediocre program. Aside from a couple of years over the last 5 decades, they have been a perennial 7-8 win team (with more sub .500 years than 10+ win seasons).

What feelings? You’re implying someone has stated the Aggies are a football powerhouse. I’ll look back but not seeing it. Maybe you two should have dinner together and work on a new argument.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 10:11 PM

Agree with what BOBO said, it isn’t so much that aggies are penalized, its that they expect too much too fast. I am all about a good SEC team that can potentially take down bama and georgia and give some competition. If the aggies can do that then great…but i just dont think it is to be expected with simply a change of coach. Its a start, but it takes time to build a system and have the players to work in that system to be a perennial contender.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 10:20 PM

Georgia fired a solid Coach in Mark Richt. He had ten 10 win seasons. Many 9 win seasons.
The expectation was higher.

They brought in a loyal Georgia guy, an ex Georgia player with top notch experience on how a program is run.

Not a guy chasing money. A&M needs a loyal guy.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 10:50 PM

As an Aggie, I tend to agree with Texas Buckeye…..it’s time to take the time to build a good program. The resources are there, the bones just aren’t.

I’d be for Jeff Traylor from UTSA, and see what things look like in 2-3 years.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjf1911
As an Aggie, I tend to agree with Texas Buckeye…..it’s time to take the time to build a good program. The resources are there, the bones just aren’t.

Good coach, players love him. He was at Texas before UTSA. I think he would fit in great at College Station, but I'm afraid he wouldn't be sexy enough for most aggys.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 11:24 PM

This should have been posted this morning

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 11:25 PM

This should have been posted this morning

Late show!

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 11:37 PM

I posted it 8 hours ago. SA posted it 7 hours ago.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/13/23 11:55 PM

Dangit. I’m going to blame the meds the anesthesiologist put in me.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 12:36 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 12:51 AM

[Linked Image]

The new Bobby Bonilla Day!

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 01:08 AM

[Linked Image]

The new Bobby Bonilla Day!

Lol he may still be getting paid....

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 06:41 AM

I saw he gets a million a year until like 2035 or 2037.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Good coach, players love him. He was at Texas before UTSA. I think he would fit in great at College Station, but I'm afraid he wouldn't be sexy enough for most aggys.

When you say sexy, do you mean they look like a sheep?
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 04:02 PM

When you say sexy, do you mean they look like a sheep?[/quote]

That’s sig line worthy right there!

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/14/23 05:01 PM

Georgia fired a solid Coach in Mark Richt. He had ten 10 win seasons. Many 9 win seasons.
The expectation was higher.

They brought in a loyal Georgia guy, an ex Georgia player with top notch experience on how a program is run.

Not a guy chasing money. A&M needs a loyal guy.

I don't feel like there was any indication that Jimbo was not loyal to A&M. Hell for that much money, I'd lead those ridiculous Midnight Yell Practices. His issues were refusing to cede control of the offense, despite the lack of production. Couldn't win on the road- that is a flawed culture where the mindset is that they didn't expect to win...and didn't. His excuse this year was that A&M is "three or four plays away from being in a playoff spot." That's an absurd statement to make when losing close games is the norm. That's just not bad luck; that's lack of play calling, execution, discipline, and coaching.

A lot of the lack of change and "being stuck in neutral" as Bjork says probably goes back to the ridiculous guaranteed contract. There's not much motivation for a stubborn old coach like that to change if he thinks his way is correct despite the rest of the world seeing otherwise. Kinda reminds me of Jerry as GM- he sees no reason to change because it worked out for him 30 years ago.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 01:53 AM

Anyone hearing Gary Patterson ?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 01:58 AM

That would be interesting.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 02:05 AM

If he was having a better season at TTU, I would of said Joey McGuire as a dark horse coach.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

That would be interesting.

Nope, TCU kind of ran him out at the end. History of being a bit of a control freak and hard [censored] on the players and not easy to deal with for administration. Ended kind of abruptly at TCU for him.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 02:16 AM

Hard [censored] on the players just sounds like discipline to me.

Re: Aggies, Jimbo out? - 11/15/23 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Hard [censored] on the players just sounds like discipline to me.

if you are too hard on NIL bought 4-5stars and they cry… Alumni gets butt hurt.

Not that this was the case at TCU but It damn sure ruined some programs south of Waco
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum