Texas Hunting Forum

3 wheelers

Posted By: Biscuit

3 wheelers - 08/20/23 12:23 PM

Anyone here still own one and ride them still ? I’ve been seriously considering getting one , remembering how fun they were as a teenager.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 12:31 PM

I remember that they taught me divine intervention is reall!!
Posted By: Grit

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 12:37 PM

Four wheel better
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 12:55 PM

I still ride both of my 1982 Honda Big Reds
Posted By: 603Country

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 01:03 PM

I wouldn’t mind having one again. Have to be electric start though. I ruined a shoulder pulling the starter rope on my old Honda.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 01:54 PM

They quit making them for a reason.
Posted By: Blackout Bill

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 02:02 PM

71Rcode here has three. He’s restoring them as a hobby. All Honda Big Red’s I believe.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 03:12 PM

Now I know the world is on its head. If open borders, inflation, gender confusion & mentally decrepit leaders aren't enough to get you there, we now have a normally sane, conservative, over married and long time poster musing about getting on a three wheeler.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 03:16 PM

Nope, I value my health too much.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 03:24 PM

I am on my 4th one. It does have working electric start and reverse too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 03:35 PM

They are just cool. Take me back to when they were new when I was a kid ... and all the cool kids and their dads had them. Blackout is correct...I've got three of them. Restoration (generous term for the 84) was light....the 86 is in worse shape (light/medium restoration). The third one (85) may be a little bit more (medium)...we'll see if I have the energy to do it.

Here are the 84 and 86. I'm hoping to have the 86 back on the road in a couple more months. Maybe sooner.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Now I know the world is on its head. If open borders, inflation, gender confusion & mentally decrepit leaders aren't enough to get you there, we now have a normally sane, conservative, over married and long time poster musing about getting on a three wheeler.

😆 thanks HUD, I may have needed this subliminal slap to the head

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 04:46 PM

I wonder I’d ya’ll know about one of the little mentioned advantages of a Honda 3 Wheeler. I used to drag deer up the fender to get them on the rear rack. Worked pretty good, as long as the deer wasn’t a monster.

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 04:59 PM

I used an 84 Big Red for the same thing back in the day. Agree they better not be too big! Would be a tough for an old man to get up a big buck on the ATC's back rack. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 05:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCM3

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 05:55 PM

A guy in Huntsville has one for $200... says they parked it due to carburetor issues....

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 06:32 PM

Texflip, that might just be the cleanest 3 Wheeler I ever saw.

And the guy in Huntsville with the 3 Wheeler carb issue is the same issue I had with my Honda 125. Plugged jets. Very common. The good news is that carb removal and jet cleaning is relatively easy on 3 Wheelers. Lord knows I did it enough. Much tougher to do on a 4 Wheeler, in my experience.

I need to call my youngest brother and ask if he ever rolled his 3 Wheeler. He really pushed the limits on riding his (Dad’s actually). Didn’t kill himself, but sure worried me.

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

I'm confused about over married. Is that when your wife is hot and you're not? confused2

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
[Linked Image]

Beautiful, it practically looks brand new
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/20/23 08:26 PM

I only wish the Japanese had not taken so long to design and build something to use in their rice fields. It would have been nice to have had them to get deer out of the woods when I was just a teenager.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: 3 wheelers - 08/21/23 11:49 AM

I had a Yamaha 225, electric start, shaft drive and reverse. This thing would flat out fly. I bought it new in 1986 as a college graduation gift to myself when I got my first full time job. I added a rear rack and hunted it hard for five years. Totally unstoppable, it was a beast.

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 12:26 AM

Told my wife I'm going through some kind of phase. The 84 has been done... robbed the tires for the 86. The 86 is nearly done (75%). Need to fix some of the plastic rebuild the carb rebuild the forks finish reassembly. Many hot garage hours into it so far. The beater 85 is next and needs a lot. Think all be through with this phase once I'm done... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by 71Rcode
Told my wife I'm going through some kind of phase. The 84 has been done... robbed the tires for the 86. The 86 is nearly done (75%). Need to fix some of the plastic rebuild the carb rebuild the forks finish reassembly. Many hot garage hours into it so far. The beater 85 is next and needs a lot. Think all be through with this phase once I'm done... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's not a phase, that's a passion. up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 02:08 AM

Some good looking bikes. But those trikes broke more arms and collar bones than you can shake a stick at.

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 02:15 AM

Thanks boys. Going to Putt-Putt around on them like an old man. 84 has original red paint as does the 85 that I'm reassembling now. The 86 I'm going to have to reshoot the tank and the forks because the tank needs some repair plus major sun damage... so will add repopped decals. Will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

86 model is unique from the 85.... couple cosmetic ways is decals, gray seat and gray dash. Crazy thing is a year ago I haven't thought about or ridden one of these things in 20 years.. and never turned a wrench on one. Much quicker than restoring cars!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 71Rcode
86 model is unique from the 85.... couple cosmetic ways is decals, gray seat and gray dash. Crazy thing is a year ago I haven't thought about or ridden one of these things in 20 years.. and never turned a wrench on one. Much quicker than restoring cars!

I went through a similar phase with BMX bikes from the same era.

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 12:55 PM

Just remembered the time I had a gas tank leak on the Honda 125. I called Honda and asked what a new gas tank would cost, and it was a lot of money, so that wasn’t a workable option. I called a few likely places, but they said they couldn’t fix it. Then I realized there must be a bazillion old Harleys with tanks that leaked, and somebody was fixing them. I found a motorcycle repair place in a slightly shady area that said they could weld metal gas tanks, and I took my Red Honda tank there. Wasn’t sure how a Honda tank would be received by the tattooed and do-rag Harley guys there, but nobody made fun of the Honda or me.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 02:23 PM

I had 2 of them with no problems. They finally got stolen and I replaced them with 4 wheelers. The roads through my place washed out years ago, tree limbs encroached, etc.; pickup doesn’t go there. I replaced the stolen bikes with Yamahas.

The Honda dealers I shopped at acted like they were doing me a favor for even showing their bikes and not one salesperson could answer mechanical/performance questions.

I have also found that the dealers “mechanics” aren’t much more than make ready types. I had a starter solenoid problem that I took to 3 dealers to identify and fix the issue. Nothing except high bills. Then I took it to Mikes Off Road in Haltom City. Mike actually specializes in 4WD pickups and classic cars. He told me it would be a solenoid and was right.

Re: 3 wheelers - 09/04/23 04:39 PM

Gas, cool. Men need hobbies. 603, good story. I have found Harley enthusiasts to be pretty welcoming to my fondness of Japanese machines. Perhaps because we're all a dying breed? There's some pretty amazing epoxies today like Caswell tank liners that are great. Dave, I think many of us remember what is like before YouTube and the internet and you had to go to one or two guys in town can do about one or two things. Now I can watch 20 videos of guys doing the same thing. I have always owned Yamahas and Kawasakis. Haven't had a Honda in a long time but these ATC engines are pretty bulletproof
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum